BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers vs. Wycombe - 19th Sept, 3pm

J*B

The return of Gareth Ainsworth. 

Rovers have been refused to become a pilot scheme for this game, so no fans will be attending. ST holders will be able to watch via iFollow as part of their ticket, I assume everybody else can if they pay for a £10 match pass. If you do intend on buying a match pass buy it in advance and test it out or risk iFollow chaos close to the game. 

Wycombe are going to want a fight. Sadly, I suspect after not playing in 2020, Ayala won't be ready for a fight. Travis, our head fighter, is injured for the foreseeable. With that in mind, I would go..

Kaminski

Nyambe Lenihan Williams Bell

Davenport Holtby Evans

Brereton Gallagher Armstrong

• J*B pinned this topic

Games like this are going to the real measure of any progress being made by the Rovers on the field. Wycombe aren't going to come to play pretty tappy tap football, for sure, but we can't presume that they will be overwhelmed by our greater experience in this league, or our (on paper at least) stronger squad. Head says we should win this. Heart says nothing can be taken for granted in football, especially home advantage, stronger squad, settled team, experienced manager, better kit, much more impressive ground..etc etc

giphy.gif

Kaminski

Nyambe    Lenihan    Ayala    JRC

Rothwell   Johnson   Holtby

Dolan   Gallagher   Armstrong

I'd give Breo a rest now, Johnson over Evans for now I think but that's a complete toss up for me, but Johno more likely to come up with a long range goal ala Swansea 2019/20 than Corry. Ayala has to slot straight in, and Bell's performances should bench him (even though they won't).

cant see Ayala or Gallagher starting to be honest. No game time. Plus what type of pre season training as Ayala been doing. 

Kaminski 

Nyambe Lenihan Williams Bell

Rothwell Evans Holtby

Brereton     Armstrong  Dolan

Subs:- Fisher Wharton Bennett Buckley Johnson Gallagher Rankin-Costello

Edited by chaddyrovers

Has to be a game that we win, the least difficult game we will face this season, Wycombe are a very limited team with a very direct style, their successful passing rate at the weekend was 30 odd % and we need to be getting a win to kick start our season.

Kaminski

Nyambe Lenihan Ayala Williams

Buckley Evans Holtby

Chapman Gallagher Armstrong

Subs: Eastham, Rankin Costello, Wharton, Johnson, Rothwell, Dolan, Brereton

Would give Ayala his first start, theoretically he shouldnt be overly worked. Williams not ideal at left back but better than Bell, Evans sitting in front of the back 4 and maybe a chance for Buckley who with Holtby could hopefully give us the craft to break down a side who will come for a point.

Flip of a coin across the front line, maybe play Gallagher if he is fit with Armstrong coming from the left, Rankin Costello hasnt done enough for me to warrant a start in this game, maybe time to give Chapman a go. Still think we need another attacking player in this window.

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Rankin Costello hasnt done enough for me to warrant a start in this game, maybe time to give Chapman a go

One man has a goal and an assist out of three games in 2020/21, the other has 20 minutes of football where he did bot all.

Ditch the 4-3-3 a terrible system that does not suit us. To play it the 2 you need two good wide players in the front 3 and we don't have them. I'd go with.

Kaminski

Nyambe       Lenihan              Ayala      Williams

Evans                 Rothwell

JRC                        Holtby                     Dolan

Armstrong

Subs: Fisher, Wharton, Bennett, Johnson, Davenport, Chapman, Gallagher

3 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

maybe play Gallagher if he is fit

had no pre season game time so why would he risk starting him? 

3 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Would give Ayala his first start,

is he even fit?

4 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

maybe time to give Chapman a go

what has he done to warrant a start over Dolan?

• Like 1

We have to win this game.

Team for me :

Kaminski

Nyambe.   Lenihan.   Ayala.   Bell

JRC.    Holtby.   Evans.

Rothwell.   Gallagher.  Armstrong.

I am assuming Gally is fit, Johnson still injured. Don't feel good about the midfield without Travis in it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JoeH said:

One man has a goal and an assist out of three games in 2020/21, the other has 20 minutes of football where he did bot all.

in 20 minutes :lol: Because you have a known dislike of Chapman for not being arsed when playing in the reserves, I think it clouds your judgement as to what consists of a chance. Giving him 20 minutes a couple of times every season isnt a fair chance really, we may aswell not bother at all.

Fair play for the goal, the assist was very much a 5 yard square pass leading to a 25 yard shot so hardly warranting of massive praise. Like I said, I dont think he has been that effective, I am yet to see him impose himself much at senior level or demonstrate what his game is about. Hes a young lad, maybe a little overawed, in time hopefully that will change.

To clarify, I don't think that Chapman is this unbelievable talent who will come in and make a massive difference. It is a judgement call really, 2 places in our front line are up for grabs at the moment. Armstrong is a very good player of course. Gallagher is average. Aside from that, Brereton, at the point now where a couple of tidy runs from deep and absolutely no goal threat is grounds for optimism, Rothwell, could play in CM or wide left but usually flatters to deceive, Dolan, perhaps as deserving as anyone although the unexpected nature of his first team inclusion has possibly garnered more excitement than maybe it warrants, although he looks bright for sure. As long as Armstrong plays, I am not really fussed about which 2 partner him, because no one stands out there really, none convince me at this stage that they will give us a cutting edge.

And when Dack comes back, I suspect that the current 4-3-3 fad may have to come to an end.

Kaminski

Nymabe lenihan Williams Bell

JRC Johnson Holtby 

Dolan Arma BB

Sadly I think it’s far too soon to give Ayala his first start, he hasn’t played since January I think, so would be better to ease him in. Thought Johnson played well last week and I imagine that we’ll need his physicality against a robust Wycombe side, if he isn’t fit would go with Davenport and see what he can do. JRC in the middle should offer an alternative to Travis energy and opens up a space to get Dolan in, who I think is currently a must with his creativity. A comfortable win and a clean sheet would go down a treat, but I can see an early Wycombe goal throwing a spanner in to that hope. Either way a win is a must, quite a lot of pressure on this game.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

in 20 minutes :lol: Because you have a known dislike of Chapman for not being arsed when playing in the reserves, I think it clouds your judgement as to what consists of a chance. Giving him 20 minutes a couple of times every season isnt a fair chance really, we may aswell not bother at all.

Fair play for the goal, the assist was very much a 5 yard square pass leading to a 25 yard shot so hardly warranting of massive praise. Like I said, I dont think he has been that effective, I am yet to see him impose himself much at senior level or demonstrate what his game is about. Hes a young lad, maybe a little overawed, in time hopefully that will change.

To clarify, I don't think that Chapman is this unbelievable talent who will come in and make a massive difference. It is a judgement call really, 2 places in our front line are up for grabs at the moment. Armstrong is a very good player of course. Gallagher is average. Aside from that, Brereton, at the point now where a couple of tidy runs from deep and absolutely no goal threat is grounds for optimism, Rothwell, could play in CM or wide left but usually flatters to deceive, Dolan, perhaps as deserving as anyone although the unexpected nature of his first team inclusion has possibly garnered more excitement than maybe it warrants, although he looks bright for sure. As long as Armstrong plays, I am not really fussed about which 2 partner him, because no one stands out there really, none convince me at this stage that they will give us a cutting edge.

And when Dack comes back, I suspect that the current 4-3-3 fad may have to come to an end.

JRC has 2x goal involvements in 3 games in 2020/21, if that's not "taking his chance" I don't know what is.

Chapman got 20 minutes just like Dolan did against Fleetwood, Blackpool, Doncaster, Leicester etc... Dolan produced magic every time, Chapman didn't affect the game.

4 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

He was partly responsible for two goals against

The only one I can think of is the 2nd goal that he could of done better with? Might be forgetting something though. But even then I feel it’s harsh to label him as responsible, for the second goal he got turned by a good piece of skill from a player who caused a lot of problems for us in the 2nd half. Other than that I thought he did well, and along with holtby managed to control the game and also grab us an important goal. You can also make the case that Wycombe will be an opposition much more suited to his abilities than Bournemouth were. Not actually his biggest fan, and didn’t want him starting last week, but based on his performance in that game, if he’s fit, he should be starting. 

A game with all the hallmarks of those over recent years where we should've won comfortably and ended up with a bloody nose. Having said that, I think we'll come away with a much needed three points.

Ayala obviously won't be fully fit, but if he is anywhere near the this is a good game to bring him in. We'll expect to be dominating possession and hopefully not need to spend too much time defending. Unless he's a mile away, I'd start him. Travis and probably Evans being out & us dominating the ball presents a good opportunity to bring Buckley in, but I suspect that he'll be on the bench.

Kaminski

Nyambe Lenihan Ayala/Williams Bell

Buckley  Holtby  Johnson

JRC      Armstrong     BB

2-0 Rovers

14 minutes ago, JoeH said:

JRC has 2x goal involvements in 3 games in 2020/21, if that's not "taking his chance" I don't know what is.

Chapman got 20 minutes just like Dolan did against Fleetwood, Blackpool, Doncaster, Leicester etc... Dolan produced magic every time, Chapman didn't affect the game.

I would say that there is very little in it in picking players to play alongside Armstrong in that front 3. We both put Gallagher straight back in our team and I know that neither of us are his biggest fan.

I am also not a fan of judging players based on pre season friendlies, although there is plenty of credit to be shared based on ours. Chapman was excellent v Fleetwood and got a very good goal. Dolan impressed when he came on, putting in a great cross and also scoring after a blunder at Blackpool. Brereton got 2 lovely goals at Blackpool, he scored 2 in pre season last season v lower league opposition, the season gets underway and its back to runs that dont penetrate, ducking out of headers and standing 10 yards outside the box when players have the ball wide, offering no goal threat.

Assists cant really be viewed black or white I suppose too, v Doncaster Brereton took 2 players on and pulled it back but because the initial shot was cleared off the line. Im sure you would agree that the work for that goal was more impressive than Rankin Costello playing a simple 5 yard pass before Johnson hits one from 25 yards that goes through the keepers hands.

You say that Dolan "produced magic every time" which I think is again a little hyperbolic. He has been a refreshing bonus, and he should be part of the squad he has still a way to go to really push himself to the front of the queue, hes had 2 exciting cameos and one start, a near miss, a poor decision leading to an opponents goal, some step overs, but magic every time? i have seen demands of new 5 year deals, massive wage hikes (not from you) and lets take it one step at the time.

I dont know about you but I think we need another player across that front line. I am not convinced between Rothwell, Dolan, Brereton, Rankin Costello, how much substance we will get from any of them this season. I am glad we have young talent, but I think there is a big burden on Armstrong, Dack who is yet to return and I fear may be shoved in a false 9 role that doesnt suit him, and Gallagher who himself has question marks over him, unless at least one of those 4 really has a breakthrough season and gets a few goals. 

39 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Chapman scored a fine individual goal against Fleetwood. Match report:

A minute later, Buckley went to ground in the box following a positive burst forward by Chapman, but his penalty appeals were waved away.

Rovers threatened again when Buckley’s ball across the face of goal was just out of Chapman’s reach, but the hosts opened the scoring against the run of play on 14 minutes when Paul Coutts’ corner was volleyed goalwards by Danny Andrew and Evans headed home from 10 yards out.

It was almost 1-1 four minutes later, as Chapman played in Brereton, but Coleman made a smart save with his legs. Rovers had an even better opportunity to draw level a minute later, as Nyambe was tripped by Andrew in the area, but Brereton saw his spot-kick saved by Coleman.

On 26 minutes, Rovers were deservedly back on level terms when Chapman drove at the Fleetwood defence, before picking out the bottom left corner from the edge of the area.

Edited by philipl

• Backroom
11 minutes ago, philipl said:

1-2 to Wycombe.

9 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Rovers 1 Wycombe 2

Good to see the confidence oozing out the messageboard at the start of the season. 

I was scared of this match already, reading stuff like this has me terrified. 

I'm keeping the faith though. I'm going for reverse 2-1 Rovers. With a nervous last 10 mins which will see us clinging on for the first 3 pts of season. (Kaminski to make a few cracking late saves and become an instant hero.)

I wouldn’t play Ayala yet, although I’d have him in the bench in case they bring Akinfenwa on. He would bully any of our back 4. Travis missing is a worry. I’d use Dolan off the bench for now, same with Rothwell. 

If Gallagher is fit, start him. We need a focal point to the attack.

Kaminski

Nyambe  Lenihan  Williams  Bell

Buckley  Evans  Holtby

JRC   Gallagher  Armstrong