BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers vs. Wycombe - 19th Sept, 3pm

J*B

10 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Wycombe should be a side we are dispatching at home. If we aren't then forget about the top 6 and think about the bottom 6.

I am not confident given our history in these sort of fixtures since League One.

We weren't dispatching these sides at home last season, as you highlight, and we weren't anywhere near the bottom 6.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Shades of Luton Town in this one but i think we'll get the draw in the end. Be interesting seeing if Ainsworth can out think Mowbray tactically.

Rovers  2    Wycombe   2

It is a given Ainsworth will win the dug out battle.

The question is are his players close enough to Rovers in their abilities for Ainsworth's smarts to deliver the result?

Last season, Charlton and Luton players were good enough to deliver their boss' plans at Ewood.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

Ayala is not a 'coup' for this club. It is exactly the type of signing we should be making.

I do wish Mowbray would stop talking about us like we are a small club. We are bigger than Middlesbrough. 

• Like 4

With Johnson, Travis and Evans now set to miss the game on Saturday, I'm going to make a suggestion that many won't like. Whether it's 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1, this weekend we need a tough tackling defensive midfielder. If all three of those are out for us, then Bennett is the natural replacement.

Kaminski

Nyambe Lenihan Williams Bell

Rothwell Bennett Holtby

Brereton Armstrong JRC

is what I'm expecting to see from Tony against Wycombe given the injury updates we've just received.

No Evans, Travis and Gallagher wont be available. Plus its unlikely that Ayala wont be available due to a couple of training and he hasn't played since January. Johnson hopefully trains today. 

My team following that news

Kaminski 

Rothwell Johnson Holtby

Brereton       Armstrong     Dolan

Subs:- Fisher Wharton Bennett Rankin-Costello Davenport Chapman Buckley 

1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

No Evans, Travis and Gallagher wont be available. Plus its unlikely that Ayala wont be available due to a couple of training and he hasn't played since January. Johnson hopefully trains today. 

You wouldn't want Evans in the trenches with you. Since coming back from his bad injury he has mustered 1 start and one sub appearance missing games with a broken toe and a bruised foot.

43 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

You wouldn't want Evans in the trenches with you. Since coming back from his bad injury he has mustered 1 start and one sub appearance missing games with a broken toe and a bruised foot.

Yet he managed to take part in both of Northern Irelands recent internationals, starting one and coming on as a sub in the other ?

I've said from the very beginning, Evans has been having a good laugh at this club for the past seven years, I really hope Stoke come in for him before the deadline or I fear he will be here until the end of time.

• Like 3

In Fergie's autobiography he spoke about Hargreaves and how it was less of a physical problem to him but more of a mental problem. Hargeaves often declared himself injured when he believed he wasn't.

It is pure wild speculation but something strikes me as odd with Evans. I understand the breaks this year have been genuine, but he is injured that often that you can't help but wonder if all the past injuries are making him reluctant to ever risk a game here and there. With modern sports science I've no doubt he is categorised as high risk and therefore the medical team won't take any risks whatsoever if he tells them he's not "feeling" fully fit.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

In Fergie's autobiography he spoke about Hargreaves and how it was less of a physical problem to him but more of a mental problem. Hargeaves often declared himself injured when he believed he wasn't.

It is pure wild speculation but something strikes me as odd with Evans. I understand the breaks this year have been genuine, but he is injured that often that you can't help but wonder if all the past injuries are making him reluctant to ever risk a game here and there. With modern sports science I've no doubt he is categorised as high risk and therefore the medical team won't take any risks whatsoever if he tells them he's not "feeling" fully fit.

Yep something ain't right. We desperately need him tomorrow yet he's disappeared with another injury. Fed up of it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JoeH said:

With Johnson, Travis and Evans now set to miss the game on Saturday, I'm going to make a suggestion that many won't like. Whether it's 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1, this weekend we need a tough tackling defensive midfielder. If all three of those are out for us, then Bennett is the natural replacement.

Kaminski

Rothwell Bennett Holtby

Brereton Armstrong JRC

is what I'm expecting to see from Tony against Wycombe given the injury updates we've just received.

This is exactly the situation that Bennett can be used in

Lets face it, Bennett's best performances for Rovers have come when he's played in the middle of the park as an enforcer, I remember him playing well against Preston (h) during the relegation season and also towards the end of the League One promotion campaign.

Wycombe at home will be as close to League One level as we'll play all season, so wouldn't have a problem with him slotting into the middle for this match.

If, after all these injuries, Davenport doesn't get a start, you do wonder what future he has at the club.

Big chance for someone to lay down a claim to a starting spot for the next few months.

Also agree with what's been suggested, that Rothwell on Tuesday looked far better when playing from deep (the new Holtby role) could maybe see him slotting back to play in a three alongside Holtby and Johnson.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

A lot of Boro fans comments about Ayala were about him falling out with managers in the past who believed he was fit to play but he was unwilling to do so. Hopefully that wont be a problem here.

21 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

Johnson's a liability. At least Bennett runs about a bit. 

3 minutes ago, rog of the rovers said:

Lets face it, Bennett's best performances for Rovers have come when he's played in the middle of the park as an enforcer, I remember him playing well against Preston (h) during the relegation season and also towards the end of the League One promotion campaign.

Wycombe at home will be as close to League One level as we'll play all season, so wouldn't have a problem with him slotting into the middle for this match.

If, after all these injuries, Davenport doesn't get a start, you do wonder what future he has at the club.

Big chance for someone to lay down a claim to a starting spot for the next few months.

Also agree with what's been suggested, that Rothwell on Tuesday looked far better when playing from deep (the new Holtby role) could maybe see him slotting back to play in a three alongside Holtby and Johnson.

Bennett hasnt got the discipline to play central midfield to break things up, he starts charging round everywhere and giving away fouls. Wycombes main threat will be likely from set pieces, play Bennett and I am sure that they will get plenty of them

Not Johnsons biggest fan but he is far better there than Bennett.

Bennetts reputation as a competent central midfielder was based on that one game when him and Smallwood (and he still wouldnt be in the squad) put themselves about v Shrewsbury. It didnt last and Bennett was moved out wide and then to right back as soon as Evans returned.

When we played Preston, we played a 4-4-1-1 with Emnes off Joao and Bennett and Conway out wide if I recall, both of whom scored.

Even with the injuries, there are no excuses. We have 10m worth of 2 strikers, and some big earners like Holtby, Johnson, Ayala, a goalkeeper who cost half a million from a very respectable side, and quite a few players from an academy Wycombe could only dream of. Even the likes of Williams, Rothwell, Chapman and Davenport would almost certainly have been unaffordable to Wycombe.

Time for Brereton to finally get a goal in a game that matters.

Has to be a win here, 100%.

• Like 1