BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers vs. Wycombe - 19th Sept, 3pm

J*B

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

No Evans, Travis and Gallagher wont be available. Plus its unlikely that Ayala wont be available due to a couple of training and he hasn't played since January. Johnson hopefully trains today. 

My team following that news

Kaminski 

Nyambe Lenihan Williams Bell

Rothwell Johnson Holtby

Brereton       Armstrong     Dolan

Subs:- Fisher Wharton Bennett Rankin-Costello Davenport Chapman Buckley 

Wow with all those out I think your team is probably the best we can put out. Personally I would drop Brereton for Rankin-Costello but I don't think Tony will.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Not Johnsons biggest fan but he is far better there than Bennett.

If Johnson, Travis and Evans unavailable Bennett is the next best option. Davenport hasn't got the experience, and isn't a tough tackler at all. Davenport has less physicality than John Buckley.

Just now, JoeH said:

If Johnson, Travis and Evans unavailable Bennett is the next best option. Davenport hasn't got the experience, and isn't a tough tackler at all. Davenport has less physicality than John Buckley.

If Davenport can't offer a physical dimension I really cant see what he offers. Buckley is going to understudy Holtby so where does Davenport fit in?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Bennett's experience counts for little if he still has the naivety as he does to charge around, firstly getting caught out of position, and secondly his actual tackling just gives away fouls to a side who will want to win set pieces.

There is no way that he can be trusted to be a sitting midfielder. 

When Davenport has been in the first team he certainly puts himself about.

It sounds like Johnson is going to be fit but there is no way that Bennett should play that role if not.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Which is why Buckley ought to get the nod. Davenport strikes me more as a LH in 3 man midfield.Davenport can't get the experience,if he doesn't play full matches.

7 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

He's played some crap passes, given the ball away and be relatively below average in the few games he's featured in since Bristol City (H) 2019/20 to now.

Not his biggest fan but I would be playing Johnson for this game given those that cannot play. He is tall, decent in the air so a threat at set pieces, a physical presence and is probably one of our better long range shooters. We can have all the creativity that we want but we have shown that we cannot break down teams that park the bus. 

1 hour ago, JoeH said:

He's played some crap passes, given the ball away and be relatively below average in the few games he's featured in since Bristol City (H) 2019/20 to now.

I am unconvinced by his cameos to the extent that I would want him in the team but my point was more that he didnt appear lightweight when he played, if anything a little over eager.

All I do know is that Bennett is not the answer to play in holding midfield. Far too ill disciplined, will leave gaps and concede free kicks. Not good enough on the ball either. If Johnson failed to make it on Saturday, we would either have to play Davenport and/or improvise without having a player comfortable sitting in front of the defence.

Indeed the answer to the void left by Travis isnt internal. Magloire has been mentioned as a holding midfielder on the transfer thread, a kid who isnt up to it in his own position. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Bennett's experience counts for little if he still has the naivety as he does to charge around, firstly getting caught out of position, and secondly his actual tackling just gives away fouls to a side who will want to win set pieces.

I think that depends on how we're trying to play. A proper sitting player, absolutely, but if we're talking about Travis replacements I can see some value in playing him in a midfield three providing energy & athleticism alongside at least one more talented and creative player. 

I know that there are plenty on here who just don't rate Bennett full stop, but I think there are decent aspects to his game which are more likely to come to the fore when he plays in the middle. I think back to the Shrewsbury game in L1 and when we beat Brentford in our first season after getting promoted. Both games where he didn't need to be better than mediocre with the ball, but his closing down and snapping into tackles really helped the team. He would obviously be a pretty sizeable downgrade on Travis, but putting him there as a stop-gap suits his game as well as any position in my view, and wouldn't be the worst idea to keep balance in the midfield. 

4 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

I am unconvinced by his cameos to the extent that I would want him in the team but my point was more that he didnt appear lightweight when he played, if anything a little over eager.

All I do know is that Bennett is not the answer to play in holding midfield. Far too ill disciplined, will leave gaps and concede free kicks. Not good enough on the ball either. If Johnson failed to make it on Saturday, we would either have to play Davenport and/or improvise without having a player comfortable sitting in front of the defence.

Indeed the answer to the void left by Travis isnt internal. Magloire has been mentioned as a holding midfielder on the transfer thread, a kid who isnt up to it in his own position. 

If Mowbray doesn't play Davenport in CM with Travis and Evans out, he might as well sell him.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

It sounds like Johnson is going to be fit but there is no way that Bennett should play that role if not.

Agreed.

davenport reads the game really well and has got a tackle in him. Maybe not the tough tackle Bennett has but he won’t be sent off for being caught out of position, drag other players out of position and give away free kicks in dangerous areas to a team looking to sit back and win on set pieces . As far as experience goes when will he get some if it isn’t at home to Wycombe with no fans and three midfielders injured. 

20 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Agree, 3 defeats from 3 is sackable in my book

Nah safest job in football. As soon as he survived the 9 defeats from 11 I knew he was bulletproof. Perks to appointing your own boss. If we’re adrift by Xmas the Venkys might spring into action but in reality I expect another season bumbling around mid table. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, matt83 said:

Nah safest job in football. As soon as he survived the 9 defeats from 11 I knew he was bulletproof. Perks to appointing your own boss. If we’re adrift by Xmas the Venkys might spring into action but in reality I expect another season bumbling around mid table. 

We're a work in progress - Tony Mowbray, June 2031.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

In Fergie's autobiography he spoke about Hargreaves and how it was less of a physical problem to him but more of a mental problem. Hargeaves often declared himself injured when he believed he wasn't.

It is pure wild speculation but something strikes me as odd with Evans. I understand the breaks this year have been genuine, but he is injured that often that you can't help but wonder if all the past injuries are making him reluctant to ever risk a game here and there. With modern sports science I've no doubt he is categorised as high risk and therefore the medical team won't take any risks whatsoever if he tells them he's not "feeling" fully fit.

He's been very well looked after here and very fortunate imo as at times in the past its looked like BRFC just managed him for international duty.

Under Mowbray though hes given us some payback in spells so it's possible his little routine was sussed by a more experienced manager.  Besides i'm sure a boss in the past maybe Bowyer said Evans has a problem that needs careful managing or it would mean big surgery and lay off.  

Very confident tomorrow. 

Historically a banana skin game we often struggle with, however I feel having no fans there could actually help us without the constant moans and groans if we haven't scored a hat full by half time. 

I fancy Dolan to have a field day along with Armstrong.

4-1 rovers with Dolan, Armo x2 and a rare Nyambe goal for us.

The type of fixture we struggled in last season so fingers crossed we can change that and pick up our first three points of the season (a convincing performance would do nicely as well). 

Not convinced the 4-3-3 is the answer to our long term problems especially with Dack hopefully returning in the not too distant future. I can't see Tony changing that tomorrow though so I'd imagine he'll go with Johnson, Holtby and Rothwell in midfield. 

Hopefully get an early goal to avoid a frustrating/nervy afternoon. COYB

On 16/09/2020 at 16:10, Mercer said:

A home banker, a licence to print money, an opportunity to get a free season ticket if you are bold and brave!

£660 on Rovers to win at 3/5 or 1.6 (whichever odds selection you prefer) will get you your free season ticket.

It's going to be a long and difficult season for Wycombe as their opening 1-0 defeat at the hands of mighty Rotherham showed.  

Opportunities like this don't come along very often and we've had two good performances so far at relegated Bournemouth and PL Newcastle so this should be a stroll in the park.

£660?

Blimey this isn't 1992-95, I wouldn't risk £66 on this bunch or any team managed by this manager!

We might be going in my acca this weekend  that's about your lot!

(Good luck if you're trying to get your free ticket this way btw)

• Like 2

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/18729501.no-newly-promoted-concerns-rovers-ahead-wycombe-test/

According to Mogga, one of Wycombe's strengths is set pieces. 

Coincidentally, we are terrible at them, so we already know how this is going. We dominate, don't take our chances, they get a freekick/ corner on the break and we're done.

• Like 4