BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers vs. Wycombe - 19th Sept, 3pm

J*B

24 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Five without conceding. Can’t ask for any more than that. The team selection proved right today but with all due respect to Wycombe they did allow us to get forward in that first half without causing us any problems. JRC spent much of his time in their half rather than our own. If we can get left back sorted then we have a decent squad.

Just need Mowbray to decide on his best side and let them loose. Dolan has proved to be a revelation and the spark that we have needed for a while.

How we accommodate Dack will be very interesting. Travis being injured might just have taken a huge headache away in selection but formation will be interesting.

One swallow and all that but we are off the mark. Now we need some consistency.

You can, six without conceding  

All 14 players did their part in as comprehensive a performance as I can remember since leaving the Premier League. 70% possession.

I was willing Bell to beat the first man with his crosses and he failed all afternoon. The stats showed our crossing as 0/0!

Wycombe started very strongly and had they scored early (I wouldn't have fancied Walton with that chance they had in the 7th minute), we could have been looking at Charlton and Luton all over again but the magic of Dolan won the penalty and then scored a very composed goal and we were off and out of sight.

One very happy weekend- thanks lads!

5 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

What were the odds on 5 goals. I want to know how much I've missed out on...

Didn't look at that - can't review historic market.

You'd be looking at more than 4.5 goals in the game and given the relativities of the two teams, I think you'd be looking at about 5/1 (6.0 decimal odds) which would have given you winnings of £50 for a tenner.

Just now, Tugay-is-God said:

I'm sure you were saying the exact same thing a week ago, that TM was sure to blame Dolan for the Bournemouth winner and that he wouldn't be seen again for months.

i have been told by a club mole that tony does`nt really like dolan,he does`nt like his attitude,his dress sense,his fancy wing play or his liking for a blue wkd or five after a game,he considers him a maverick and there is no room for mavericks,tony is determined to break him down,expect dolan to develop a niggle  if he does`nt stop all this creative nonsense?

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

Good stuff , albeit subject to the caveat that Wycombe will likely prove to be the weakest team in the division. Nevertheless in our pre-season and competitive matches we have shown enough to suggest that the gloom and doom peddled by many on these boards for the last few weeks has been misplaced. An upgrade at left bck and, crucially, holding on to Adam Armstrong will give us a decent shout at a promotion challenge this season. 

They probably will be the weakest in the division, but the crucial thing for me is that we easily dispatched one of the worst sides in the division. It simply isn't something we were managing last season, only scraping by them at best. It's only one game, but if we've lifted that hoodoo, just gaining average results against those kinds of sides would have seen us quite a few points better off last season.

Wycombe did help a bit by not being as organised and determined as some of those sides have been, and also letting the play open up a bit. But here's hoping we keep it up.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, blue_n_white99 said:

Gallagher will never be a winger as long as he has a hole in his arse

Are you suggesting he sews up his arsehole so he can become a winger?

I think Tony would do it personally if that's what it took to squeeze him in there.

Edited by bluebruce
  • Like 3

Excellent result of course and a totally dominant display against an absolutely dismal Wycombe side who I suspect with their team and resources will do well to hit 20 points.

As others have said, a shame we missed out and hopefully we can be allowed in to the next home game, although sadly I suspect that we wont be allowed even in small numbers.

Armstrong the main man again, absolute game changer, and guaranteed source of goals. Be interesting to see how we fit Dack back into this team, as he undoubtedly has to come back in and give us a secondary guaranteed goal source.

Dolan an absolute livewire, tired second half and sometimes spends too long on the ball, but a bundle of energy, pace and skill and not only that, a goal and a penalty won so there is some end product. Very raw but a very nice bonus to have considering his sudden emergence from an expected player for the under 23s. 

Midfield 3 very impressive too, thought Johnson had a very controlled game, Rothwell with some end product with the third goal, and Holtby with his usual class. Defensively totally untroubled, Williams stood out there. Kaminski I think we are struggling to get a real indication of his quality based on the games, totally untested in terms of saves, very safe with his handling of low balls in, seems accomplished with his distribution but very, very nervous from crosses, nearly costly early on from one.

Full backs I thought had nothing to do defensviely but were both poor going forward. Bell did nothing of worth as per usual and I thought Rankin Costello aside from the shot that hit the outside of the post had a few poor touches and all of his crosses seemed to go straight to the keeper.

Brereton also a curious one. Today had to be a perfect opportunity to get a meaningful goal and it passed him by. When they went down to 10, he should have been kept on but he offers zero goal threat. He did some neat and tidy things, a couple of nice touches, and contributed small parts in 2 goals, albeit his pass to Rothwell was perhaps a little wider than he would have liked, but he certainly hasnt guaranteed his place in the side.

Subs wise, Buckley was bullied a bit initially but a couple of great passes, the one for the 5th goal was superb. Chapman bright and lively, Davenport neat and tidy.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

Tony Mowbray still has his ability to spot a good player.

Tony Mowbray has personally disavowed responsibility for Dolan in an interview already. The only thing he can be praised for about landing him is he decided to trust his staff and back them on it. Fair play for him giving the lad game time though, especially with how he has been about young flair players in the past. I think he's going to start him in a lot of games now.

Whoever was actually pushing for it from within the staff deserves a free pint from each and every one of us though.

• Like 5

Just now, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

His recruitment team signed him. Mowbray said he couldn't remember him from when Rovers played PNE youths. 

As you say "his" recruitment team. If they get it wrong there will be hundreds of posts denouncing TM; get it right and suddenly there will be people saying it's nothing to do with him.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Sorry but not my scene!

Delighted with the result but there are bigger tests to come - sounds like Wycombe were as woeful as I thought they'd be but, having said that, you can only beat what's in front of you.

Extremely profitable day and even took £20 off a Burnley fan in the pub when our fifth went in!!! 

Confidence and momentum are everything - let's hope positivity is now flowing throw our players' veins and we give it a feckin good go.

Did you put the £660 on? 

?

Just now, Mashed Potatoes said:

As you say "his" recruitment team. If they get it wrong there will be hundreds of posts denouncing TM; get it right and suddenly there will be people saying it's nothing to do with him.

Nobody would have cared if a youth player signed on a free didn't work out. There might have been the odd misplaced grumble about it, but not 'hundreds of posts', let's be real. There weren't 'hundreds of posts' about Mitchell Candlin not working out.

This was a very low risk move which has reaped very high rewards. Magnificent bit of business by the club, wherever the credit lies. And yes, good that he backed his team's judgement on this one. I wonder if the people who pushed for it are as surprised as the rest of us?