BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers vs. Wycombe - 19th Sept, 3pm

J*B

12 minutes ago, Commondore said:

Watching the highlights now, who plays in Armstrong for the last goal? That's a quality pass. Also impressed with Dolan's decision making for the third goal, plenty of young players would have slowed the counter attack down and gone for a dribble there instead.  

It was Buckley, and that was a world class ball.

• Like 8

12 hours ago, Exiled_Rover said:

We struggle to beat teams that set themselves up as difficult to beat (we don't quite have the craft to break them down) - which is what I thought Wycombe would do.

They've come here to play football - obviously sensed weakness looking at our Goals Against column. We've put them to the sword. 

Yeah so we didn't win today by playing well. We won because the opposition set up the wrong way. 

Yeah they seen a massive weakness in our goals against colum after one game away to probably one of the best teams in the league. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Roverinbelfast said:

Yeah so we didn't win today by playing well. We won because the opposition set up the wrong way. 

Yeah they seen a massive weakness in our goals against colum after one game away to probably one of the best teams in the league. 

Both.

We played really well and this was helped by Ainsworth bringing his side to Ewood and not wanting to be seen as negative and boring.

This made the game more open and with our better quality, we gave them a pasting.

I noticed it a lot in the 2nd half, the amount of space Bell was given to attack into and good balls delivered out to him. If only he/we could cross the ball.

a massive weakness in our goals against, with respect I would suggest this references historical stats and not just one game

A great win tarnished for me at least by the sad realisation that diving is now taught in Primary School

Edited by AllRoverAsia

Just watched the highlights and have to say that we did look good again.

Dolan looks like he has the potential to be very special, what a piece of business we've done there.

We do look like we have goals in us this season.

Hope JRC had a good game at RB as I feel he has a lot to offer.

Well done Rovers and TM, no negatives from that performance.

Three not much commented upon big plusses for me from yesterday.

1) inch perfect and perfectly weighted (and easy to totally cock-up) passes from Rothwell and Buckley for goals 3 and 5. 

2) Brereton running half the pitch with the ball driving into their defence before the lay off to Rothwell who allowed the ball to run on a little to give himself the window and angle for the slide rule pass for Arma 

3) Our third goal also send a warning to the League that any team over committing forward for a set piece against us does so at the peril of letting one in at the other end. I would expect corners and free kicks against us might not see our penalty area being quite as crowded in future.

• Like 1

Loved the pace we had in our side yesterday. Rothwell, Dolan, Armstrong and even Brereton can motor once he gets going. On the break we will cause a lot of teams big problems.

I am confused at how Wycombe set up against us though. We all expected the typical park the bus which we tend to struggle with. Instead, I guess they thought they could have some success by going at us? Ainsworth got that one as wrong as his choice of haircut.

Edited by JacknOry
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

Loved the pace we had in our side yesterday. Rothwell, Dolan, Armstrong and even Brereton can motor once he gets going. On the break we will cause a lot of teams big problems.

I am confused at how Wycombe set up against us though. We all expected the typical park the bus which we tend to struggle with. Instead, I guess they thought they could have some success by going at us? Ainsworth got that one as wrong as his choice of haircut.

The opening 10 minutes they were on top & pressed us into our own half but when they didn’t score it made it more difficult to sustain. Ultimately, they just look short of quality but so often last season we failed to capitalise in these situations.

5 minutes ago, Herbie6590 said:

The opening 10 minutes they were on top & pressed us into our own half but when they didn’t score it made it more difficult to sustain. Ultimately, they just look short of quality but so often last season we failed to capitalise in these situations.

Apparently half their team have played at League 2 level in recent years, so that is not surprising. I hope they stay up but judging on that performance, I am not sure they stand a chance.

56 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

Once you go a goal down early on you have a decision to make. Carry on with parking the bus and hoping you nick a goal. Or get rid of the bus and try to play a more expansive game. Wycombe made the mistake of trying to go down the " more expansive " route without having the players to pull it off.

13 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Did Nyambe have an injury or was it your call?

"It was my call. At home against a team that I thought we were going to get in behind, Rankin-Costello with his ability to pick a pass even though he didn't do it well enough at times today, I felt it was a chance for Rankin-Costello to play right-back rather than Nyambe.

"The first two games, Nymabe's physical data has been through the roof, higher than I've ever seen it and this was the third game in a week, we don't want another hamstring injury, another problem for another first-team player.

"I just thought it was a day where we didn't need Nyambe's one-on-one defensive capability, so I sat him on the bench to give him a rest."

source Lancs Live website. From Mowbray during his post match interview

How is it that players at other clubs can play game after game after game and don’t need to be dropped or tested ‘to protect them’? Is it Ewood Park that he’s afraid of? If so we’d all better enjoy Tyrhys Dolan while we can.

Lack of a settled team leads to inconsistency and a lack of a settled back four leads to indecision and conceding goals.

I’ll take Mowbray at face value that it was Wycombe and we didn’t need to be quite as defensively-minded but we shouldn’t be shuffling the pack every game.

Derby will be a big test for the manager. Let’s get into that top 6 early on and put ourselves under pressure to stay in the mix for top 2. Anyone can beat anyone in this division, momentum and consistency are key - starting with the attitude of the man in the dug out.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Stuart said:

How is it that players at other clubs can play game after game after game and don’t need to be dropped or tested ‘to protect them’? Is it Ewood Park that he’s afraid of? If so we’d all better enjoy Tyrhys Dolan while we can.

Lack of a settled team leads to inconsistency and a lack of a settled back four leads to indecision and conceding goals.

I’ll take Mowbray at face value that it was Wycombe and we didn’t need to be quite as defensively-minded but we shouldn’t be shuffling the pack every game.

Derby will be a big test for the manager. Let’s get into that top 6 early on and put ourselves under pressure to stay in the mix for top 2. Anyone can beat anyone in this division, momentum and consistency are key - starting with the attitude of the man in the dug out.

Nyambe has hamstrings made of play-doh, like many players who have a bit of pace, giving him a day off yesterday turned out very well for us.

Don't get me wrong, I was baffled and annoyed when I saw the lineup if I'm honest, sometimes you just have to say yep, you got that one right Mowbray though. 

• Like 1

To be fair, given Nyambes history of niggles, the opposition and JRC's ability to pick a final ball I think Mowbray is fully justified in the decision. People just like to stick the boot into the manager wherever possible. He's praised Nyambe and justified his reasoning. Not like he's called him out for being crap when he has played quite well like Mowbray has done in the past. I imagine Nyambe will be straight back in next game.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Both.

We played really well and this was helped by Ainsworth bringing his side to Ewood and not wanting to be seen as negative and boring.

This made the game more open and with our better quality, we gave them a pasting.

I noticed it a lot in the 2nd half, the amount of space Bell was given to attack into and good balls delivered out to him. If only he/we could cross the ball.

a massive weakness in our goals against, with respect I would suggest this references historical stats and not just one game

A great win tarnished for me at least by the sad realisation that diving is now taught in Primary School

Gareth Ainsworth has been talked about being future manager of our club. He has a lot to learn if this was the case  we played well, I think we would have got 5 even without the sending off. 

3 hours ago, JacknOry said:

Looks good to me, not sure TM would employ him though

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ossydave said:

Nyambe has hamstrings made of play-doh, like many players who have a bit of pace, giving him a day off yesterday turned out very well for us.

Don't get me wrong, I was baffled and annoyed when I saw the lineup if I'm honest, sometimes you just have to say yep, you got that one right Mowbray though. 

That’s fine but let’s nobody complain - or blame the player - when we lose Nyambe for nothing at the end of his contract because he won’t sign a new one. This work rate and hamstring worry is just the latest ‘explanation’. Last season it was that he had to shoehorn Bennett in somewhere at all costs and Travis was undroppable in midfield while Brereton or Gallagher had to be squeezed in on the right.

Meanwhile, we can’t keep shuffling the defence every game and expect to keep clean sheets. Yesterday was a good day against a L1 standard opposition (I’ve always acknowledged Mowbray is a very decent L1 standard manager when he has a Championship standard squad) but let’s take that into the Derby game. Who gets dropped to bring Nyambe back in for example?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Stuart said:

That’s fine but let’s nobody complain - or blame the player - when we lose Nyambe for nothing at the end of his contract because he won’t sign a new one. This work rate and hamstring worry is just the latest ‘explanation’. Last season it was that he had to shoehorn Bennett in somewhere at all costs and Travis was undroppable in midfield while Brereton or Gallagher had to be squeezed in on the right.

Meanwhile, we can’t keep shuffling the defence every game and expect to keep clean sheets. Yesterday was a good day against a L1 standard opposition (I’ve always acknowledged Mowbray is a very decent L1 standard manager when he has a Championship standard squad) but let’s take that into the Derby game. Who gets dropped to bring Nyambe back in for example?

I'm very certain Nyambe is back for Derby. The question is whether JRC og Dolan is dropped to the bench. Hard to say. Dolan is a better option forward especially on counters. At the same time, he is a very useful as an impact sub. JRC is probably a little safer defensivly and tacticly. My guess would be JRC as Derby is a bit wounded and will come out full guns blazing, and bring out Dolan in the second half.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, OnePhilT said:

I'm assuming you're being a little bit sarcastic, there, but I think @Exiled_Rover makes a fair point about how Wycombe played; they didn't exactly dig in and try to make life difficult for us, which I think is one of the reasons why we beat them so handsomely. We probably would have got past them in any case, as it's easy to forget (or to even realise) that I think half of Wycombe's starting XI were with them from their League Two promotion season.

I also have a feeling that Ainsworth might have wanted the game to be a spectacle, rather than coming back up to the club he loves and making it a stodge-fest, but that's probably what he should have done in hindsight!

I was scanning through one of the Wycombe message boards earlier, and their fans seemed to have a bit of a happy go lucky attitude before kick-off. Maybe they are still a bit high from two successive promotions. The comments during and after the match seem to be one of shock and reality sinking in. I think Ainsworth is definitely going to have to get down in the mud and play ugly this season. I can't really see how else they will survive based on the quality of their players from yesterday's match.

I was actually quite offended when one or two said "Blackburn are bang-average" or "decent". I fully agree with @Parsonblue when he states that we're playing some really nice stuff, and it's certainly easy on the eye. We just need to make sure that we don't have too many "shoulda woulda coulda" results like we did against Bournemouth and Nuke.

Excellent post. and I agree with absolutely everything you have posted. 

my sarcastic response (which it was), was merely my way of highlighting how some now seem to be incapable of applauding a great performance now. We won yesterday because we were the best team on the pitch. Credit must go to the manager for his team selection and tactics. 

1 hour ago, Stuart said:

Post the restart, Nyambe was dropped for one game, which happened to be the 6th game in just over 2 weeks. Before then he was our regular starter since October, where he started every game other than three where he was injured.

Ryan may or may not sign a new contract, but if he doesn't it won't be through lack of playing time. The idea that he has been unfairly treated and/or is an easy target to get dropped is a complete myth.

1 hour ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

Post the restart, Nyambe was dropped for one game, which happened to be the 6th game in just over 2 weeks. Before then he was our regular starter since October, where he started every game other than three where he was injured.

Ryan may or may not sign a new contract, but if he doesn't it won't be through lack of playing time. The idea that he has been unfairly treated and/or is an easy target to get dropped is a complete myth.

So Bennett didn’t play frequently at rb under Mowbray then?

2 hours ago, briansol said:

I'm very certain Nyambe is back for Derby. The question is whether JRC og Dolan is dropped to the bench. Hard to say. Dolan is a better option forward especially on counters. At the same time, he is a very useful as an impact sub. JRC is probably a little safer defensivly and tacticly. My guess would be JRC as Derby is a bit wounded and will come out full guns blazing, and bring out Dolan in the second half.

We really shouldn’t be dropping Dolan at this point. He’s just getting started and was integral to the result yesterday. He was MoM for me but as always Rovers give it to the highest goalscorer.

Arma and Dolan can terrorise defenders and get us a goal or two then later on try to protect a point, and player.

• Like 1

Just now, Stuart said:

So Bennett didn’t play frequently at rb under Mowbray then?

He's played there plenty. At the start of last season, and since then when Nyambe moved to centre back to cover injuries. 

The point is that in the last 11 months or so, Nyambe being dropped for Bennett has happened once, and even that was in a period of playing a match every 3 or 4 days. I've no idea if he's inclined to stay or not, but this narrative of him not signing because he's forever being dropped in favour of Mowbray's pals needs nipping in the bud, because the evidence simply doesn't back it up.

• Like 5