Jump to content
J*B

Rovers vs. Wycombe - 19th Sept, 3pm

Recommended Posts

17 minutes ago, philipl said:

Chapman scored a fine individual goal against Fleetwood. Match report:

A minute later, Buckley went to ground in the box following a positive burst forward by Chapman, but his penalty appeals were waved away.

Rovers threatened again when Buckley’s ball across the face of goal was just out of Chapman’s reach, but the hosts opened the scoring against the run of play on 14 minutes when Paul Coutts’ corner was volleyed goalwards by Danny Andrew and Evans headed home from 10 yards out.

It was almost 1-1 four minutes later, as Chapman played in Brereton, but Coleman made a smart save with his legs. Rovers had an even better opportunity to draw level a minute later, as Nyambe was tripped by Andrew in the area, but Brereton saw his spot-kick saved by Coleman.

On 26 minutes, Rovers were deservedly back on level terms when Chapman drove at the Fleetwood defence, before picking out the bottom left corner from the edge of the area.

That's a pre-season friendly.

In three ACTUAL games, JRC has a goal and an assist...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Akinfenwa- what a unit! Nearly 38 years old and 18 stones apparently.

As mobile as a lump of concrete but he certainly knows how to time his shuffles to poach goals.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rovers 4-0 Tony has to impress on the players how important winning this game is. It will go a long way to affect season ticket sales.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Akinfenwa is injured I think but if we feared him in anyway, we may aswell pack it in now.

Suspect he will be very much a parody figure in the Championship.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, philipl said:

Akinfenwa- what a unit! Nearly 38 years old and 18 stones apparently.

As mobile as a lump of concrete but he certainly knows how to time his shuffles to poach goals.

What an option to have to bring on for the last 10 minutes! If you’re holding a lead, give it him in the corner. If you’re chasing you pray for a set piece... I don’t know whether it’s due to the size of him but the ball seems to go towards him like he has his own gravitational pull!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Miller11 said:

What an option to have to bring on for the last 10 minutes! If you’re holding a lead, give it him in the corner. If you’re chasing you pray for a set piece... I don’t know whether it’s due to the size of him but the ball seems to go towards him like he has his own gravitational pull!!

Officially the strongest footballer in the World I believe. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Silas said:

 

Good to see the confidence oozing out the messageboard at the start of the season. 

I was scared of this match already, reading stuff like this has me terrified. 

I'm keeping the faith though. I'm going for reverse 2-1 Rovers. With a nervous last 10 mins which will see us clinging on for the first 3 pts of season. (Kaminski to make a few cracking late saves and become an instant hero.)

Sorry mate. Wish I was more optimistic but it’s these matches that we always tend to somehow bugger up! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Akinfenwa shouldn't be a problem for Lenihan and Ayala, but as @roversfan99 mentioned, I'm fairly sure he's unfit for this one, on top of being fairly unfit in general ;) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Akinfenwa is injured I think but if we feared him in anyway, we may aswell pack it in now.

Suspect he will be very much a parody figure in the Championship.

That is a pity.

Emmanuel Monthe of Tranmere defending against Akinfenwa on a pudding of a pitch at Prenton Park was the highlight of my football watching last season.

Akinfenwa scored a classic poachers headed goal as well- he lost his marker. Hard to believe anyone could miss him but the Tranmere defence did!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Akinfenwa shouldn't be a problem for Lenihan and Ayala, but as @roversfan99 mentioned, I'm fairly sure he's unfit for this one, on top of being fairly unfit in general ;) 

I'll let you tell him that! 😅

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A home banker, a licence to print money, an opportunity to get a free season ticket if you are bold and brave!

£660 on Rovers to win at 3/5 or 1.6 (whichever odds selection you prefer) will get you your free season ticket.

It's going to be a long and difficult season for Wycombe as their opening 1-0 defeat at the hands of mighty Rotherham showed.  

Opportunities like this don't come along very often and we've had two good performances so far at relegated Bournemouth and PL Newcastle so this should be a stroll in the park.

Edited by Mercer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really happy for Wycombe actually, I believe this is the highest division they have ever been in?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sponsor

Big GW coming home! for a battering! Thats what I HOPE will happen this weekend, however I expected the same last season with our two matches against Luton Town.  Nothing is a given in this league so despite our "high pressing" game we could still be on the receiving end of a dodgy one nil loss.  Think Gareth has done wonders on limited budget over at Wycombe and I wish him and his lot well.... after Saturday. Lets Do This!!!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Akinfenwa is injured

Sure he said on Sky Sports he out for 4 more weeks injured yet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wycombe are much more Luton than Barnsley. We lost twice early on at home last year to Charlton/Luton, so we have to win Saturday to get us out of that funk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mercer said:

A home banker, a licence to print money, an opportunity to get a free season ticket if you are bold and brave!

£660 on Rovers to win at 3/5 or 1.6 (whichever odds selection you prefer) will get you your free season ticket.

It's going to be a long and difficult season for Wycombe as their opening 1-0 defeat at the hands of mighty Rotherham showed.  

Opportunities like this don't come along very often and we've had two good performances so far at relegated Bournemouth and PL Newcastle so this should be a stroll in the park.

You literally can't help yourself can you?

I think this will be a draw or defeat for us.

Because they only played another freshly promoted team last time, I consider this like playing a newly promoted team on their first game of the season, which is the absolute worst time to play them as they still have confidence from promotion and want to show they can hang with the teams up here.

We just tired most of our first team out giving Newcastle our best shot and suffered an injury to the man who is our team's engine. We will ineffectually pass the ball outside the area for most of the game and Wycombe will be content to let us do this. I reckon we will have upwards of 70 percent possession. They will then look to hit us on the counter. I don't know their players, but if they have pace and someone with reasonable finishing, they'll probably succeed in this.

We are also pretty much traditionally bad at seeing off crap teams at Ewood, especially if they play like that. I read this is Wycombe's first ever season at this level. I've supported Rovers long enough to know that means we are probably about to go down in their history books as their first point/s at this level.

It goes without saying, but I desperately hope to be wrong in all of this. It's not beyond the realms of possibility that we notch one and they open up to attack us and get roasted. Hopefully Mercer gets his free season ticket, but I think it's more likely he will nearly triple its price!

Wycombe to finish bottom of the league, probably even below Sheff W with their deduction, and ourselves to be talking until the end of the season about the missed opportunity for crucial points, a la Charlton last year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

He is a really poor pundit too. Kept forgetting players names!

Who?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

You literally can't help yourself can you?

I think this will be a draw or defeat for us.

Because they only played another freshly promoted team last time, I consider this like playing a newly promoted team on their first game of the season, which is the absolute worst time to play them as they still have confidence from promotion and want to show they can hang with the teams up here.

We just tired most of our first team out giving Newcastle our best shot and suffered an injury to the man who is our team's engine. We will ineffectually pass the ball outside the area for most of the game and Wycombe will be content to let us do this. I reckon we will have upwards of 70 percent possession. They will then look to hit us on the counter. I don't know their players, but if they have pace and someone with reasonable finishing, they'll probably succeed in this.

We are also pretty much traditionally bad at seeing off crap teams at Ewood, especially if they play like that. I read this is Wycombe's first ever season at this level. I've supported Rovers long enough to know that means we are probably about to go down in their history books as their first point/s at this level.

It goes without saying, but I desperately hope to be wrong in all of this. It's not beyond the realms of possibility that we notch one and they open up to attack us and get roasted. Hopefully Mercer gets his free season ticket, but I think it's more likely he will nearly triple its price!

Wycombe to finish bottom of the league, probably even below Sheff W with their deduction, and ourselves to be talking until the end of the season about the missed opportunity for crucial points, a la Charlton last year.

I will not be buying a season ticket whilst  Mowbray and Waggott are in situ even if I win £62million on Friday's Euro jackpot nevermind my Rovers' bet winning!

We shouldn't even be debating the result - Wycombe should be comfortably swept aside.  I've put my money where my mouth is and placed a large bet which I fully expect to enable me to add a case of some very, very nice reds to my wine cellar!

Edited by Mercer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Mercer said:

I will not be buying a season ticket whilst  Mowbray and Waggott are in situ even if I win £62million on Friday's Euro jackpot nevermind my Rovers' bet winning!

We shouldn't even be debating the result - Wycombe should be comfortably swept aside.  I've put my money where my mouth is and placed a large bet which I fully expect to enable me to add a case of some very, very nice reds to my wine cellar!

Of course we shouldn't be debating it. But we've all seen this script before, right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wycombe should be a side we are dispatching at home. If we aren't then forget about the top 6 and think about the bottom 6.

I am not confident given our history in these sort of fixtures since League One.

Mowbray will not adapt or change his approach. He will, perhaps arrogantly, expect the team to go and outscore Wycombe and get all the plaudits for possession and passes.

This will be exactly what Wycombe want and are used to. 

I hope lessons have been learned and we don't end up with egg on our faces come 5pm because any result other than a win would be difficult to take given the Bournemouth result and upcoming fixtures.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.