BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers vs. Wycombe - 19th Sept, 3pm

J*B

8 minutes ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

He's played there plenty. At the start of last season, and since then when Nyambe moved to centre back to cover injuries. 

The point is that in the last 11 months or so, Nyambe being dropped for Bennett has happened once, and even that was in a period of playing a match every 3 or 4 days. I've no idea if he's inclined to stay or not, but this narrative of him not signing because he's forever being dropped in favour of Mowbray's pals needs nipping in the bud, because the evidence simply doesn't back it up.

Who mentioned Mowbray’s pals? Your words.

He shouldn’t be dropped at all at this stage of his development. But this keeps happening - this weeks excuse was that he has been playing too well (!). Mowbray overthinks games and picks a team for each opponent rather than putting out best XI out there and having them worry about us.

I certainly wouldn’t blame Nyambe for not signing a new contract. Call it a narrative if you like.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stuart said:

Who mentioned Mowbray’s pals? Your words.

He shouldn’t be dropped at all at this stage of his development. But this keeps happening - this weeks excuse was that he has been playing too well (!). Mowbray overthinks games and picks a team for each opponent rather than putting out best XI out there and having them worry about us.

I certainly wouldn’t blame Nyambe for not signing a new contract. Call it a narrative if you like.

The idea that Mowbray has his favourites and he picks them in front of more deserving players has cropped up on here quite a lot, but in fairness you didn't mention it in this case so I'll hold my hands up for that one. 

But you did say the bit I've highlighted, which clearly isn't true! It doesn't keep happening, it's happened twice in eleven months, and one of those was explicitly to do with preserving him from picking up the sort of injury he has been susceptible to getting after putting in two big shifts in a week. 

I think you're right about the tendency to chop and change too much, but the game is in trouble if a player in Ryan Nyambe's position won't sign a new deal on the basis of getting dropped for one game in thirty, and then rested for another. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Stuart said:

That’s fine but let’s nobody complain - or blame the player - when we lose Nyambe for nothing at the end of his contract because he won’t sign a new one. This work rate and hamstring worry is just the latest ‘explanation’. Last season it was that he had to shoehorn Bennett in somewhere at all costs and Travis was undroppable in midfield while Brereton or Gallagher had to be squeezed in on the right.

Meanwhile, we can’t keep shuffling the defence every game and expect to keep clean sheets. Yesterday was a good day against a L1 standard opposition (I’ve always acknowledged Mowbray is a very decent L1 standard manager when he has a Championship standard squad) but let’s take that into the Derby game. Who gets dropped to bring Nyambe back in for example?

If Nyambe has a desire to leave because he was given a rest vs Wycombe to preserve him for what should be a lot tougher test next week, he can bloody leave!

He seems to be over the whole must play Bennett issue thankfully (I think).

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Stuart said:

How is it that players at other clubs can play game after game after game and don’t need to be dropped or tested ‘to protect them’? Is it Ewood Park that he’s afraid of? If so we’d all better enjoy Tyrhys Dolan while we can.

Lack of a settled team leads to inconsistency and a lack of a settled back four leads to indecision and conceding goals.

I’ll take Mowbray at face value that it was Wycombe and we didn’t need to be quite as defensively-minded but we shouldn’t be shuffling the pack every game.

Derby will be a big test for the manager. Let’s get into that top 6 early on and put ourselves under pressure to stay in the mix for top 2. Anyone can beat anyone in this division, momentum and consistency are key - starting with the attitude of the man in the dug out.

To be honest I thought it was excellent man management. He managed to describe him as a super athlete whilst telling him he wasn’t starting! 
I do think with such a truncated close season players’ fitness and bodies need careful scrutiny.

You can’t say other club managers don’t do what Mowbray did as you have no idea how they operate. There are so many factors that affect selection.

I’m pretty sure our back four will change throughout the season especially with Ayala and a possible left back to challenge Bell as well as knocks, loss of form and yes the opposition.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Ossydave said:

If Nyambe has a desire to leave because he was given a rest vs Wycombe to preserve him for what should be a lot tougher test next week, he can bloody leave!

He seems to be over the whole must play Bennett issue thankfully (I think).

Unpopular opinion but I think Bennett could be ok in the midfield 3

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, S8 & Blue said:

Agreed. One thing he's good at is closing down the opposition and putting them under pressure. Playing on the right of the 3 wouldn't be a bad shout if he's still got the legs. He was brilliant in a similar role a couple of seasons ago against Brentford at Ewood when we beat them 1-0. He didn't let them settle and effectively won the game for us because they couldn't play out from the back like normal.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, S8 & Blue said:

I will tell you something I noticed yesterday is how much of a team man Bennett is. After the final whistle he went to nearly every player saying well done and pump fisting. He was as thrilled as the rest of us about that performance. He must be great in the dressing room keeping people motivated. I know he gets pelted on here by some posters but for me that showed he’s a Rover through and through.

• Like 8

Bennett doesnt have the ability on the ball or the tactical discipline to stop charging around and diving in to play in central midfield. No good pressing if you give away fouls all of the time. People refer to 2 games that he played, the Shrewsbury one which was obviously in League 1 in which Smallwood was just as effective (imagine if he was near our team) and even in League 1 his effectiveness waned to the point that he had spells in 2 other positions before the season was out. The Brentford game was amidst an injury crisis in which we ground out a team as an underdog, and he played as a 10 as he did v Stoke when the onus was on us to create and we fell to a drab 1 nil defeat. He also played in central midfield at Villa Park around that time and put in a performance on par with Mulgrews at home to Boro, totally lost.

I just dont see any place even in the squad for him anymore. Im very glad to see that even Mowbray seems to have realised that a year later than Mulgrew and Smallwood. Even yesterday, Mowbray plumped for Buckley and Davenport which I agreed with. Rankin Costello seems to have taken over the role as right back cover and utility man, I dont think that he is capable in the middle as I mentioned and he certainly isnt good enough going forward

Hes always given his all and has a year left on his contract, I personally think it would be best for all if Bennett could find a home elsewhere, even if it means supplmenting his wages. Hes League 1 standard although maybe someone near the bottom of this League may find some use for him.

The bit in bold is just blatantly obvious, of course he’s been left behind on the pitch, so no idea how that paints ‘99 as clueless.

The fact he obviously plays a role off the field and looks a very popular club captain is a totally different issue, and probably why he will be here until his contract runs out in 9 months time, and I’ve no particularly issue with that, lot of cogs to running a successful sports team.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 4

23 minutes ago, Ben Frost said:

You can write as many multi-paragraph several hundred word critiques as you want against the players you don't like, but that statement suggests to me that you haven't the faintest idea about the ethos of football in particular or team sports in general. 

Now that those three have gone, Bennett is one of the most important squad members. Not ON the pitch but off it. 

If you don't understand that (you clearly don't because you suggested above that he should be shown the door asap) then I would politely suggest that you stop pretending you know anything about football and concentrate on sudoku or something. 

Maybe it’s time for him to leave and for others to step up. He’s been a brilliant servant to the club and now , like everything in life, it’s his time to go. Especially if his wage gets a LB in 

10 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

The bit in bold is just blatantly obvious, of course he’s been left behind on the pitch, so no idea how that paints ‘99 as clueless.

The fact he obviously plays a role off the field and looks a very popular club captain is a totally different issue, and probably why he will be here until his contract runs out in 9 months time, and I’ve no particularly issue with that, lot of cogs to running a successful sports team.

Because -

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Hes always given his all and has a year left on his contract, I personally think it would be best for all if Bennett could find a home elsewhere, even if it means supplmenting his wages. Hes League 1 standard although maybe someone near the bottom of this League may find some use for him.

When the 1st team squad is mainly youngsters, Graham, Downing, Smallwood have gone, Mulgrew is out of the picture, you need characters like Bennett in the dressing room.  Even Lenihan is young for a captain. Mr 99 doesn't seem to understand this.

Williams looked like he was being sold (hope we now keep him - don't see where a better back up is coming from), Holtby has only been here a year and Johnson blows hot and cold. Bennett is a consistent senior squad member in the dressing room now the likes of Graham and Downing have gone.

• Like 1

Buckley's pass yesterday for the goal was just class.If we are chasing the game like at Bournemouth I hope the manager will bring him on rather than Evans still can't quite understand the substitution.

Armstrong is looking dangerous, 25/1 before season started to be championship top scorer.

Hopefully no prem team comes in with a bid before deadline day 

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Ben Frost said:

You can write as many multi-paragraph several hundred word critiques as you want against the players you don't like, but that statement suggests to me that you haven't the faintest idea about the ethos of football in particular or team sports in general. 

Now that those three have gone, Bennett is one of the most important squad members. Not ON the pitch but off it. 

If you don't understand that (you clearly don't because you suggested above that he should be shown the door asap) then I would politely suggest that you stop pretending you know anything about football and concentrate on sudoku or something. 

Putting aside the totally unnecessary patronising manner of your post. I made it quite clear that I appreciate and understand what he provides off the field, but that all of my comments where in relation to how he is on the pitch. I dont think on the field he has a role to play, if he is happy to be solely an off the field help without contributing on the pitch, and indeed we can afford that (assuming that there would be any takers) then by all means keep him.

We do have a lot of younger players but there is more experience within the team than you seem to appreciate or imply. We have just replaced a kid playing his second senior season in league football who left after a loan spell with a player who was the captain of his last club, and who had led said club to promotion from this league before. A massive signing of leadership. Beside him we have Lenihan who is young as you say but clearly has natural leadership and has played over 150 games for us. Then of course we replaced a young loanee goalkeeper (and before that a young keeper of our own) with a player who has played well over 200 games in his career and won titles, albeit we dont know much about his character and there will be an acclimatisation to living in England.

Then we have Johnson in midfield, a vastly experienced senior player who you describe as being "hot and cold" but that is solely based on his footballing performances, not his character. We also have Corry Evans who again is vastly experienced, even if he seems a little less extroverted from the outside. And of course Lewis Holtby who seems to be growing in terms of a main character within our squad. There is quite a bit of real experience there amidst a clutch of players who havent been left behind on the pitch.

Apparently, 2 former Rovers - Shearer and someone called Danny Murphy - say it's down to the players working out for themselves!!

Should have waited before posting the previous post!

Edited by m1st
Should have waited!

4 hours ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

That is your opinion and not fact.

Of course, that is what we are here for, opinions. Although the number of penalties he gives away is less subjective.

When him and Smallwood had that game v Shrewsbury which tends to crop up whenever a suggestion is made to play him in central midfield, even if you look back at that, the pair gave away plenty of fouls in stamping their authority on the game. We have come a long way since then though.

1 minute ago, LeftWinger said:

I've watched the 5th goal about 20 times purely for the pass by Buckley.

One of the best passes I've ever seen - eye of the needle kind of thing. The vision, accuracy and weighting of the pass is absolute perfection.

It's so good. I've made up my mind about his talent, we've seen other midfielders (and some good ones) play hundreds of games for Rovers without weighting a pass that well.

He'll probably still need some bedding in over the coming months as he learns to improve and manage his weaknesses, but I hope that we'll finish the season with him being as established name on teamsheet like Travis has become. 

• Like 3

Think the issue with Buckley is he has undeniable talent, its just figuring out exactly where to play him. Doesn't have the pace for the wings or the defensive nous, so maybe in more of a free role as part of the 3 in midfield. Issue then is where do you play Dack or Rothwell. Good problem to have at least

• Like 1