BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Best Team

If everyone was fit, what does everyone think would be our best starting line up, and what do people think Mowbray would consider his best team? Not factoring in further arrivals.

I would say mine would probably be this below:

Kaminski

Nyambe Lenihan Ayala Williams

Travis Holtby

Dolan Dack Rothwell

Armstrong

If it has to be 4-3-3, I would probably say:

Kaminski

Nyambe Lenihan Ayala Williams

Travis Evans Holtby

Dolan Dack Armstrong

In easier games, I would go Rothwell for Evans there and move Travis inside, and also it is early days for Dolan, maybe Brereton, Chapman or Rothwell could eye that place.

I think Mowbrays would be the above with Bell, Johnson and Gallagher for Williams, Evans and Dolan.

Edited by roversfan99
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Of course I think left back is top priority in the transfer market so that would change. As it stands, Williams is a better option than Bell.

William's is worse than Bell going forward but better at the back. Not sure there's much in it but I'd say Bell is better option considering how much we rely on our FB's to attack. . That's how much we need a LB. 

14 minutes ago, Oldgregg86 said:

Agree with both of yours but would have davenport for evans

I can't understand what you base that decision on. I've seen nothing from Davenport that even supports a squad place, you know what you're likely to get from Evans.

To be fair, I'd look to move both players on considering the plethora of midfielders and the need to allow further development of our under 23s.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, darrenrover said:

I can't understand what you base that decision on. I've seen nothing from Davenport that even supports a squad place, you know what you're likely to get from Evans.

To be fair, I'd look to move both players on considering the plethora of midfielders and the need to allow further development of our under 23s.

To be fair, I dont think that Evans at this moment needs moving on to accelerate the development of the under 23s. I think he is very close to if not in our best 11 when all are fit and there has to be a balance between experience and youth.

1 hour ago, darrenrover said:

That’s just it. I know exactly what we get from Evans. At least give him a chance . I can guarantee he won’t be worse . We need to move Evans on. He’s been here for ages, rarely scores, often injured, must be one of our top earners and at a time when we need all the freed up funds we can get and the plethora of players as you say we already have he needs to go . Davenport will not be any worse on a smaller wage , far more potential and resale value and will not be any worse on the pitch . 

Kaminski 

Nyambe Lenihan Ayala Bell

Travis Holtby Rothwell

Dolan Armstrong Dack

I'd go for the above right now. But, most have played very well since the season has restarted so there is no reason we shouldn't see plenty of competition and players knocking on the door i.e Brereton, Johnson, JRC, Williams, Buckley, then the return of Gallagher and Evans prior to the international run in. Absolutely no reason not to be excited by that. 

• 4 weeks later...

Kaminski 

Nyambe Lenihan Ayala Douglas

Holtby Travis Trybull 

Dolan Armstrong Dack

Pears

JRC Williams Magloire Bell

Rothwel, Johnson, Buckley 

BB Gallagher, Elliott

the likes of chapman, Evans, davenport, bennet, can’t even get into my 22man squad! Shows great strength in depth.

Very tough.

Back 4 and keeper is easy, Kaminski, Nyambe, Lenihan, Ayala and Douglas. The shape and personnel of the 6 in front is the hardest.

Trybull from what I have seen is ideal to sit in front of the back 4. I think Johnson is better slightly ahead. If it is a 4-3-3:

Trybull

Johnson (Travis when fit) Holtby

Elliott Dack Armstrong

Not sure that is the best balance of front 3 but you wouldnt want to play against it.

4-2-3-1:

Travis Trybull

Elliott Dack Rothwell/Dolan

Armstrong

Better balance, but no Holtby. 

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Very tough.

Back 4 and keeper is easy, Kaminski, Nyambe, Lenihan, Ayala and Douglas. The shape and personnel of the 6 in front is the hardest.

Trybull from what I have seen is ideal to sit in front of the back 4. I think Johnson is better slightly ahead. If it is a 4-3-3:

Trybull

Johnson (Travis when fit) Holtby

Elliott Dack Armstrong

Not sure that is the best balance of front 3 but you wouldnt want to play against it.

4-2-3-1:

Travis Trybull

Elliott Dack Rothwell/Dolan

Armstrong

Better balance, but no Holtby. 

For your second team, Holtby has to be in there for me. Probably over Trybull.

53 minutes ago, Oldgregg86 said:

Couldn’t possibly pick one til we’ve seen the new lads play but I’m sure we will have all decided for the new year and then we can all get back to slagging Tony’s selection policy off. Bloody Mowbray ?

You’re absolutely correct can’t pick a team until see them. But the options look good. The back 5 takes care of itself really but the other 6 there’s exiting options. Travis and Trybull probably deeper then a choice of Johnson, holtby, Dack, dolan, Elliott, Rothwell, Armstrong even Brereton. But this is my fear - Tonebola picking Sam bloody Gallagher on the wing (wide striker ?) to win the occasional isolated header vs the oppo’s left back. If that happens I’ll give up. 

2 minutes ago, matt83 said:

You’re absolutely correct can’t pick a team until see them. But the options look good. The back 5 takes care of itself really but the other 6 there’s exiting options. Travis and Trybull probably deeper then a choice of Johnson, holtby, Dack, dolan, Elliott, Rothwell, Armstrong even Brereton. But this is my fear - Tonebola picking Sam bloody Gallagher on the wing (wide striker ?) to win the occasional isolated header vs the oppo’s left back. If that happens I’ll give up. 

Haha me to tbf.

what I like is that Johnson has been immense up to now and undroppable but I do think his form will drastically fall of a cliff at some point and before we would be lacking something because Evans when fit offers the same as Johnson on a bad day when he’s playing well. I like we have the option to do so many things when injuries and bad  form occur. It should also keep performance levels high knowing that nobody’s place is safe and the back five should be settled and have an Develop an understanding. What can go wrong ?

Yup dont want to be drawn into posting my ideal first 11 until I have seen a few of them.

Ayala and Douglas get in obviously (I do not even need to see Douglas to make that decision, absolutely better than Bell).

Trybull and even Elliott, I need to see more before I decide if they are going to displace anyone in my first team. I am guessing Trybull will be competition for Johnson and Evans for one spot in midfield. Holtby will have Buckley and if he comes, Downing for the quarterback role. Travis and Rothwell for the remaining spot. 

Up front you have AA, Dack and SG for central, BB and Elliott for left side, Dolan, Chapman, and again Elliott for right side. In fact, AA could come in on either side too if you wanted Dack in that middle spot. 

For me anyway, SG is a winger for TM apparently. 

Edited by JacknOry

I do worry as to whether Mowbray even knows his best team and what it will settle down as, in spite of some exciting transfer business.

I think that the back 4 and keeper picks itself, id like to think that Mowbray sees that Douglas is an upgrade on Bell, that Lenihan and Ayala are our best 2 centre backs, and that Nyambe needs to play and Rankin Costello as a full back is nothing more than cover.

I think there is a lot of excitement especially in attacking areas that we have plenty of options but I have serious misgivings as to how many are of any substance and indeed how to build around those.

I suspect that we are going to have to pick 3 central midfielders due to the abundance of players that we have in there, especially with Downing to come. But I am unsure as to which 3 are the best trio.

In attack though, for all of the numbers, I am not sure which ones are going to make meaningful contributions. Armstrong is an obvious one but for the second game in a row today, he looked completely helpless, isolated, frustrated and fed up. We need Dack to come back in as soon as possible, and seemingly will have to guarantee Harvey Elliott a key role, a player of raw talent but one we cannot be sure if he himself will be a threat. Gallagher is poor and continuously stuck out wide, Brereton is mainly a waste of space, Dolan is so raw, Rothwell flatters to deceive, Rankin Costello doesnt really have the attributes to stand out, Chapman looks a bit of a busted flush, we only really have 2 forwards to play centrally.

The 2 obvious ones that have to play are Dack and Armstrong, and then Elliott I am sure will have a big role. But how do you fit them 3 in to the same team to get the best out of them? If we keep the 3 in midfield, you probably need to go with a false 9, Armstrong from the left and Elliott from the right. The team at the moment seems to lack any sort of real substance in attack.

• Like 1

Kaminski

Nyambe      Lenihan         Ayala     Douglas

Travis             Johnson

Elliott                     Dack                 Rothwell

Armstrong

Subs: Pears, Williams, JRC, Trybull, Holtby, Dolan, Gallagher

• Like 1

Kaminski

Nyambe - Lenihan - Ayala - Douglas

Holtby - Travis - Rothwell

Elliott - Dack - Armstrong

7 of these 8 Subs: GK, Williams, JRC, Trybull, Johnson, Buckley, Dolan, Brereton

Not needed: Gallagher, Chapman, Bell, Evans

• Like 2

The options we now have available are our biggest strength and our greatest weakness.

And yet an injury at centre back and we will be panicking again.

We absolutely have to find a way to break teams down. Forest came today and parked the bus and we had nothing.

Brereton is an English Corrado. If I hear Neil Yardley say “he just needs one and he’ll get a hatful” once more they’ll need to start selling it on t-shirts in the club shop. Gallagher has lost his way. Absolutely ruined by Mowbray insisting on playing him out wide when he should have been the guy to take over from Graham.

Armstrong, Dack, Dolan, Rothwell, Elliott and Chapman are all just slightly different versions of the same gung-ho player just spread out across a few forward positions.

Johnson is hot and cold. Evans only turns up for NI and Travis is now injured for the season. A lot rests on Holtby to be the ace in the hole. Because there is certainly a hole when he (or Travis) don’t play.

3 minutes ago, Stuart said:

. A lot rests on Holtby to be the ace in the hole. Because there is certainly a hole when he (or Travis) don’t play.

Considering Holtbys injury record, how well he is currently playing and how much we needed to win today, I'm disappointed he didnt play.  Can he not time his shagging?

• Backroom

My best team would be:

Kaminski

Nyambe Lenihan Ayala Douglas

Travis     Holtby

Dack

Dolan    Armstrong    Elliott

2nd X1:

Pears

Bennett Magloire Williams Bell

Trybull  Buckley

Rothwell

JRC  Gallagher  Chapman

Edited by Mike E

7 hours ago, superniko said:

Kaminski

Nyambe - Lenihan - Ayala - Douglas

Holtby - Travis - Rothwell

Elliott - Dack - Armstrong

7 of these 8 Subs: GK, Williams, JRC, Trybull, Johnson, Buckley, Dolan, Brereton

Not needed: Gallagher, Chapman, Bell, Evans

That’s the one, ASAP. Probably Trybull for Travis until he gets back.

Back 5 speaks for itself, and it’s strong, with JRC, Williams, Wharton and Bell as back up, it’s a good group.

Holbty and Rothwell were missed massively today, I really believe they are both championship top 6 talent. Holtby has looked really fit since the start of the season and has been much more involved, and his quality on the ball is easy to see. Rothwell at that LCM position is just devastating, will go 40 yards in 4 secs, his passing is excellent too. He really has been excellent this season.

Trybull sounds like the number 6 role is perfect for him. Can’t say I know much about him but after that showing from Johnson he won’t be worse. 

Armstrong, if he gave me any grief I’d drop him, but he has to play wide left when Dack gets back, he is brilliant cutting in from the left flank shooting. 

Elliott, this was an absolute steal from Mowbray and co, he was in and around the Liverpool first team for gods sake. He is playing and can do either wing. Can’t wait to see him.

Dack, just hurry up, please. False nine, whatever you want to call it, he will score goals through the middle. Must be close

Edited by Fraserkirky
  • Like 1