BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Derby V Rovers

3 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

You carry on with the piss taking... a look at your forum says you lot are getting worried for the first time in a long while.

In all seriousness, it looks  a very even Championship this year, they'll probably suspend FFP, so your backers in India will be able to put funds in .... the relegated sides don't look particularly good, nor do the promoted ones. Of the bigger Clubs, Forest, Derby, Boro', QPR and Birmingham all have various issues ( mainly Financial ), Stoke are struggling and Sheffield Wednesday are starting at -12 .... If you finish above Swansea and Norwich, I think you've every chance .....

We, on the other hand, need to carry on as normal, tie some players down to extended deals, pick up wins against the lesser ranked teams and get a couple of eye-catching results such as our 0-2 win at Old Trafford, and the 1-1 at Anfield .... but I'd take 17th now if I was offered it !! Enjoy your evening, all ! 

• Like 9

The change in playing style and personnel has really been remarkable since the days of Richie Smallwood and long punts to Danny Graham. Kaminski, Holtby, Dolan all have been magnificent upgrades and cost buttons. The current forward line has been eye-opening: Dolan has more tricks than Ronaldo, Armstrong fabulous pace and finishing, Brereton a bull running at defences - hard to see how a defence can keep all three quiet - and average age is what, 21?

• Like 6

• Backroom

On a serious note, who do you drop for Dack? 

That's a decision I wouldn't like to make. 

I hope there isn't a 'like' limit on the forum as I've just liked about 50 posts in an hour, grinning from ear to ear! 

• Like 6

Just now, Madon said:

I hope there isn't a 'like' limit on the forum as I've just liked about 50 posts in an hour, grinning from ear to ear! 

can you play dack and armstrong in the same team??,id`e hate it if armstrong was shunted out wide to make way,it did`nt work out before

3 minutes ago, Madon said:

On today's performance you can't drop anyone for Dack.

Can Dack play left back?

• Like 3

Kaminski is a big upgrade on Walton at a bargain price. A bit flashy with some saves but like another outfield player on the ball is a huge boost to our all-round play. The midfield 3 were superb and it shows the importance of winning the midfield battle as it allows the front 3 to play. Breo is like a new man, Dolan is the closest thing to Duff ive seen coming into the team at such a young age and Arma is a proper goalscorer - even when he plays poorly he makes an impact. Is this the start of a special season? 

Fantastic performance. Some outstanding displays in there today. Thought Kaminski was faultless in his job and some great distribution. Brereton excellent, shame he didn't get a goal.

Good signs with Dack, Evans, Gallagher and Ayala to come in. Still need a LB and i worry about depth and the number of injuries we are picking up. JRC the latest, seems to be happening too often.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tugay-is-God said:

Arma works anywhere across the front three for me, the concern is that I've never been fully convinced by Dack in the false nine position.

two different types of player,dack will find space anywhere and picks the final pass well,the sign of a really good player,armstrong is pacier and needs the ball played in front of him,who do you pick though,the goalscorer or the provider??

It was a tactical and playing masterclass. We were as good without the ball as we were with it.

Shout out to Brereton who I thought had his best game in a Rovers shirt yet. He was strong, assertive and controlled. Threatened for 90 mins. Wish he’d got himself a goal.

Dolan has a touch of Raheem Sterling about him. Seems to drift into those back stick tap in positions effortlessly and those feet...wow!

Williams, Holtby, Kaminski, Johnson and Rothwell all very good too.

The VERY exciting thing however is that we still have Ayala, Nyambe, Travis, Dack and Gally to come back into that team as well as Buckley, Butterworth and Vale etc banging on the door....?

Edited by Paul Mani
  • Like 9

Brilliant performance, last week was great but of course it was against the whipping boys at home, I know that Derby have started poorly, they have injuries, their manager is under fire etc, but to do what we did today is very eye catching, Derby wont be relegation fodder. All about consistency now. Also shows that high possession is not essential.

The best area of the pitch today was the midfield 3. Johnson looks the player not only that I thought we signed, but the player he was 5 or 6 years ago at Norwich. Got to appreciate that it is 3 games and inconsistency was his middle name last season, but he looks in far better shape, his first goal was absolutely superb, and he gives us leadership and experience. Holtby again looks in much better shape, obviously benefits from the system and run the show. And Rothwell was very purposeful, some lovely runs and more effective, although needs to work on the back pass style shots as we know he has a wonder goal in his locker.

Kaminski overall was very good, made a few very good saves, and some superb bits of distribution. A couple of strange things that he did, seems to be quite unorthodox at times and a little shaky from crosses which seems to be his weakness but overall a very good display. Lenihan and Williams were very good, and credit where its due, Bell was our best full back today. blocked a few crosses, better on the ball than usual and not as passive. Most of their danger came down their left, Rankin Costello was mixed, thought he was neat and tidy though and put in a couple of very good recovery tackles after being caught of position. 

Armstrong wasnt at his very best, often chose the wrong option but got a goal, thats what you want. Dolan is an interesting one, he does overdo it at times, once or twice in areas he shouldnt be messing about and it could cost us, he did tire as he did last week which is understandable having not played senior football until this season, but its getting the balance right by Mowbray, when do you play him, when is he sub, and discourage him playing in the wrong areas without affecting his play in the final third, youd hate to be a full back against him, so tricky and quick and love him getting a tap in. Fantastic bonus for us. Brereton I thought his overall play was excellent, going on runs, winning fouls, holding it up, very good. Still that question mark in front of goal, unlucky to hit the post, had a good chance with a header, and a couple of other chances that he finished with no composure at all. Needs to chip in, but definitely a different player.

Subs, difficult for Nyambe coming into a game as a sub right back but did ok. Bennett, little to do and little time but didnt do anything wrong. Chapman, I thought he was poor but you got some end product, brilliant work for the fourth goal.

This team also has scope to get better with players currently unavailable. Ayala is one of the best defenders in the division on his day. Travis has been a stand out performer since he broke in consistently and Dack is probably our best player. We shoudlnt forget that, 3 quality performers who should only make us better upon their return. You probably put all 3 in the first 11 at some point, but if they were all magically fit for next week, they would all be on the bench. Shows the last 2 results for how impressive they are.

Think its unfair to suggest that it would be a different scenario with a crowd. The Ewood crowd is not the pitchfork grabbing mob that some portray, ultimately if the players cannot replicate this with crowds then its a little obsolete, but there is no reason to suggest that they cant. Certain things seem to be falling into place and I dont think its fair to suggest that one of those is a lack of supporters.

Fair play to Mowbray too. The acid test is not when this way of playing gives teams a hiding, its the consistency and the grinding out of results regularly that will get us near the top. There are still certain reservations about this team but a lot of things seem to be coming together.

• Like 3

That was absolutely fantastic and the most complete performance we've had under TM. 

Post lockdown I had serious concerns when we started with this 4-3-3 as we had pointless possession without hurting teams. The false 9 experiment didn't work and I was worried we'd persevere with it at the start of this campaign.

The way we've started couldn't be further from that, the front 3 look dynamite. Dolan, a natural wide man is a real talent and such a threat everytime he's on the ball. The contrast in comparison to a Gallagher/Samuel out wide is frightening. Fair play to Brereton who's proving the doubters (including me) wrong, I doubt he'll ever be a goalscorer but that doesn't need to be his role with Armstrong available. 

Bradley Johnson looks much better sitting in a midfield 3, let's hope him, Holtby and Rothwell can kick on and provide us with these performances on a regular basis. 

Kaminski looks assured and his quick distribution is something we massively lacked last season. 

Let's back this up with another victory next Saturday going into the international break...COYB!!

• Like 2

Just now, JHRover said:

Good signs with Dack, Evans, Gallagher and Ayala to come in. 

In the case of Evans and Gallagher....... that's the worry!!!!!

The change in our team selection, formation, attacking ethos and pressing  style of play since the end of last season is quite remarkable. We even look infinitely fitter than at any stage since Mowbray has been in charge and whilst Mowbray has to take the credit I'm wondering if Johnson has had much more of an input this season.

Either way it's working  and long may it continue.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

two different types of player,dack will find space anywhere and picks the final pass well,the sign of a really good player,armstrong is pacier and needs the ball played in front of him,who do you pick though,the goalscorer or the provider??

For me they can both play in the same side just means someone else has to drop out.

And i wouldn't want to drop anyone from today's "front 6", as it were. 

• Like 1