BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Derby V Rovers

Based on the opening 3 performances, you have to say we are definite top 6 material - we should really have come away from Bournemouth with at least a point.

Positives so far:

* Same formation and tactic each week.  Players know the system. 

* Emergence of Dolan,  Brereton beginning to improve and Rothwell 'finding a position'

* Kaminski looks eccentric but effective!

As long as:

* Tony doesn't tinker

* Players like Williams, Johnson and Holtby continue at the current level

* We add a left back

* We have a lucky year on the injury front. 

We should be in for an interesting ride!

COYB

Edited by Wing Wizard Windy Miller
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, 47er said:

Does anyone else think Lenihan was a complete prat to pick up that yellow card?

Tricky one.  If they'd gone on to score, we'd be saying he could have stopped him.  At 3-0 maybe he should have left him alone.  But in most games I'd be happy for that kind of cynical foul to stop a chance.  We've lacked that over the last few seasons. 

• Like 5

As an aside, I do think we are benefitting on the pitch from a lack of fans in grounds.  It's been poor at Ewood since the promotion season - and that was a one off positive season!

If the team is in the top 6, playing this type of football when fans come back.  It should lead to a reinvigorated, positive atmosphere in Ewood, which will only benefit the team.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Don Said said:

Absolutely not.

In previous seasons we would’ve let the attacker ghost through, to square it and score. Professional by Lenihan. That’s how you see out games.

In front of the ref, incredibly obvious, there was another defender available, 3-0 up? We will miss Lenihan when he's suspended.

Just now, 47er said:

In front of the ref, incredibly obvious, there was another defender available, 3-0 up? We will miss Lenihan when he's suspended.

In Lenihans head he’s not taking any risks of giving them a chance on the verge of half time.

Conceding just before halftime would’ve been a bit of a mental blow, and obviously would’ve left us only 2 up. Perfectly happy for our players to do things like this to keep momentum going. We know Rovers, think PNE last season, you can really feel the swing after conceding at times.

Think we’ve moaned that the side isn’t nasty enough for a while. We’re very streetwise at this level now and it’s going to help us win more points.

Plus the likes of Travis and Lenihan are always going to be suspended once or twice a season. That’s their game. They’d be less effective players if they were told to take the edge off.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, 47er said:

Great feeling to have won 2 in a row in such style but let's not get carried away too early eh? We've probably played the worst 2 sides in the division in succession.

One of my mates is a Derby supporter and he's been telling me all summer that he expects relegation this season. They were a shambles.

Winning is a habit and builds confidence so we should  continue to feel this effect going into the game against Cardiff. That's the true value of a win such as this.

Yup, they've won 2 out of their last 11. 8 defeats. Just been reading their boards and understandably, they are not happy.

Rooney getting a lot of grief. Apparently misses training alot but there is talk that there is a clause in his contract that as part of the 32Red thing that he has to play. 

Cocu also getting pellets now, they are calling for Mclaren to come back for a 3rd stint, Paul Cook, someone even mentioned Gary Bowyer lol.

36 minutes ago, 47er said:

yeah Rothwell too, dont know what he was thinking, was never getting that. Excellent performance from him otherwise though. Needs to work on his shooting though, which he would just leather it sometimes instead of going for placement (which is not even good placement anyway).

39 minutes ago, 47er said:

In hindsight of course, but in the context of the game no. Had we conceded one, particularly leading into half time, how many fans would have feared the worst? And the players may feel the same. If it was at 80+ mins he maybe doesnt make that foul, but crucial at that point not to give Derby any reason to think they could get back in the game 

• Like 2

Not TMs biggest fan but my word the last couple of games he's got it bang on. There are worries - the squad is very thin, we have a number of players playing above their usual game and how long can that continue, and the management of the Nayambe situation worries me (he'll be off soon.) 

Tbh I don't think the table really starts to take any meaning until game 5 but nevertheless it's better to have points on the board than not. TM is famous for his good runs as well as bad so am trying not to get too excited. 

Those cautions aside there are lots of positives. If having weaker players playing above their ability is a worry it's also most definitely a positive too that we are getting some bang for our bucks. Two clean sheets are nice. Lots of goals- and goals shared about too - is great. Dolan looks very promising and has a long career ahead. (Incidentally the PNE youth network should be shot for letting him go. I mean if they can't see talent there...) Rothwell may provide a long term partner to Travis. Armstrong continues as pinch hitter. 

They say you can only beat what's in front of you but you still have to do it. And for all Derby's recent form being poor they have been a top half team for a long time with a strong budget and good players. Glad the immoral lot are sinking (here's hoping for relegation for them) but I don't think this this was an easy win by any means. 

So we'll done TM and the team and long may it continue. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, 47er said:

Watching live I thought it a needless foul and put Lenihan at risk of a 2nd and Red.

Looking on replay if Lenihan had let Sibley go Holtby would not have caught up with him and Johnson would have probably taken him out in or nearer the pen area, so in hindsight Lenihan chose well.

47 minutes ago, 47er said:

He does it a lot it really annoys me how many stupid bookings he gets. Well he wants to be careful, Del aint doing too bad and Ayala must be near enough ready now so he might find himself out the team....

• Like 2

My biggest criticism of Mowbray has been constantly changing formations and personnel. And of course Elliott Bennett. So credit where it’s due same tactics/team and by and large omitting Bennett.

It’s not rocket science but for now resisting the urge to tinker. I still view us as a house of cards ready to come tumbling down. 2 games won’t change what I’ve witnessed for 2 years but for now it’s very enjoyable stuff. 

Oh and a winger on the wing. Who would have thought. 

Edited by matt83
  • Like 1

Football is a simple game and team strength always starts from the back and at last we have a Keeper who actually looks like and performs like one.

This has given our defenders much more confidence which then spreads forward. Everyone just seems more confident and at ease with the other players role and ability.

Dolan has been a revelation and I was glad that Buchanan missed him with his out  of control leg breaker lunge in the first half.

All Rovers players performed well. Holtby was superb.

Johnson did exactly what I like when scoring. Hit the ball hard, on target and see what happens!

Wycombe and the current Derby are poor teams, ask me again at the end of Octobers fixtures

COYB :) :rover:

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, matt83 said:

My biggest criticism of Mowbray has been constantly changing formations and personnel. And of course Elliott Bennett. So credit where it’s due same tactics/team and by and large omitting Bennett.

It’s not rocket science but for now resisting the urge to tinker. I still view us as a house of cards ready to come tumbling down. 2 games won’t change what I’ve witnessed for 2 years but for now it’s very enjoyable stuff. 

Oh and a winger on the wing. Who would have thought. 

Going to be interesting when Gallagher is back available for selection.

Just now, AllRoverAsia said:

Going to be interesting when Gallagher is back available for selection.

I just dont see how he fits anywhere but as a backup option for Armstrong. At least Brereton has a bit of pace and is direct, so he actually quite suits where he is playing. Gallagher out there, no ty.

• Like 1

It’s a nice feeling waking up on a Sunday morning, to another big Rovers win.

The stand out player for me yesterday was Holtby. A great team performance, but thought he pulled the strings and I think we have a real player on our books, with him. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, 47er said:

Time to stop being the team that's nice to play against. We've lacked a little nastiness and cynicism for quite a while. Despite the score line Lenihan was determined to keep a clean sheet, a winning mentality in my book, we should be happy he took one for the team. Looks like Ayala's influence is apparent before he's even kicked a ball in anger, long may it continue.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

Another great win as the manager's careful planning bears fruit.

Website whoscored.com has 3 of our players - Johnson,Armstrong and Dolan-in the division's top 7 with Johnson way clear as the best player in the league. Important those 3 stay fit although Dolan will probably need a break at some stage as most players in their first season in professional football do - fortunately it looks as if the penny might have dropped with Chapman who can cover.

Biggest test for him is if he can leave alone whilst it's working.

Hopefully this is now the core style and we don't have a revert to type.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

I just dont see how he fits anywhere but as a backup option for Armstrong. At least Brereton has a bit of pace and is direct, so he actually quite suits where he is playing. Gallagher out there, no ty.

It's simple as this for me, as an old left back, who would I prefer to against -  Dolan or Gallagher  ?  With Dolan he dribbles at real pace, knows when to stick and when to twist, bags of energy, always looking to get into the game. You'd never have a minute's break. With Gallagher he's going to have an advantage in the air  so you'd be relying on team mates to cut down crosses in his direction. After that, out wide he's not much of a threat as long as you don't do anything silly, like giving him too much room and letting him get a run at you.

After turning his back on real attacking wingers for all the time he's been at Ewood ( Conway was played more as a defensive player and Chapman hardly played ) Mowbray appears to have found one down the back of the sofa. At least one winger is getting a game now.

I only see Gallagher as a back up for Armstrong at the moment.

On another point although Armstrong was quiet for most of the game the way he put that chance away so emphatically speaks of a player who's confidence is sky high.

Regarding Johnson's  goals,  our midfield have been shot shy for too long. How often do you see a speculative shot into a crowded penalty area take an unstoppable deflection like his second goal. Let's have more of it lads.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 7

I've not seen any highlights, am saving the pleasure for later today.

What an excellent start to the season we've had in term of performances. Bar the start of the 2nd half v Doncaster, we've oozed confidence & fluidity going forwards, with pace, creativity and expansiveness to our approach play which scares defenders to death. We're it not for some worldy finishes from Bournemouth we'd be unbeaten this season in the league.

Yes Wycombe & Derby were not the most challenging of opponents but we've actually put them away comprehensively, which we're not known for. If anything, both wins ought to have been even more comprehensive, but maybe that's being greedy.

I think I'm most pleased with Holtby's emergence. I knew there was a top player in there just waiting to shine. Comparisons with Tugay are a little premature (I did it myself on here a few months back & was told by someone Holtby wasn't fit to place Tugay's boots!) but if he can perform in that role consistently throughout this season, then I'd say well founded.

Almost equalling that is BB. Again, I've always thought there was some ability in there (admittedly very well hidden at times!) but in this formation and with loads of pace around him (Arma, Rothwell, Dolan) he will cause defences proper headaches with his on-the-ball swashbuckling up & at 'em style. Just needs to add goals to his game & folk might start to think there's some value to the £7m investment or whatever turns out to be.

Loads of other positives (Kaminski looks reliable & progressive, Williams solid, Rothwell purposeful, Johnson a bully, Arma, Dolan - what a bonus! - even Chapman having effective cameos, plus Ayala, Dack, Gallagher yet to feature at all, Buckley & Evan's barely, & another LB hopefully). 

There are some negatives; injuries are mounting up, the squad lacks depth in a couple of key areas, and there are several key contract issues to sort out in the next couple of months at a difficult time financially, and other off the field stuff is concerning.

But for now, I think we can afford to revel a little in our new-found status as the league's entertainers! Same again v Cardiff then take a well-earned international break after which time hopefully we'll have added a new LB & a got some depth with loans & the likes of Ayala, Evans & Gallagher back, and Dack not long after...

COYB!!

• Like 2

Just now, Atko's Engine said:

I've not seen any highlights, am saving the pleasure for later today.

Careful with those, they have been edited to look like Derby were in the races. Basically showing all their chances and just our goals. Considering we had 23 shots, their highlights are from a true reflection.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Ossydave said:

He does it a lot it really annoys me how many stupid bookings he gets. Well he wants to be careful, Del aint doing too bad and Ayala must be near enough ready now so he might find himself out the team....

That would be a stupid move.  He's our aggression,  I loved it when he fronted up to Sibley and said, "come on then!, lets fuckin have it you little turd"......or thats what I thought he said to him.

• Like 5