BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Derby V Rovers

50 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Going to be interesting when Gallagher is back available for selection.

Biggest worry for me. Would Dolan have got as much game time if Gallagher was fit? Unlikely. Once he is fit again I'd hope that Tony would be sensible enough to not force him back into the team at the expense of Dolan. 

• Like 1

Just now, CrouchingNunhiddenCucumber said:

Biggest worry for me. Would Dolan have got as much game time if Gallagher was fit? Unlikely. Once he is fit again I'd hope that Tony would be sensible enough to not force him back into the team at the expense of Dolan. 

We shouldn't be considering Gallagher for a wide role again. Dolan and Chapman with maybe JRC should be our go to players on the right wing.

• Like 9

16 hours ago, arbitro said:

The system we are playing hugely suits the players we have and their attributes. Holtby was the fulcrum today and showed what an asset he can be. Wrap him in cotton wool between games if needed but keep him fit. The high press starts from the back with a keeper who is happy to be well in advance of his penalty area allowing the rest of the team to be higher up the pitch. Dolan is so talented and looks like he can go all the way but will need nursing along at times.

Nine goals and two clean sheets is beyond our wildest dreams and Mowbray has to temper the renewed expectations over the next few days.

I've been saying the last couple of weeks that this system suited the players available and we are getting the best out of Armstrong, Brereton, Holtby, Rothwell and Johnson. And we need to keep playing it. 

15 hours ago, Madon said:

On a serious note, who do you drop for Dack? 

That's a decision I wouldn't like to make. 

I hope there isn't a 'like' limit on the forum as I've just liked about 50 posts in an hour, grinning from ear to ear! 

I wouldn't be dropping at anyone for Dack on current form. 

15 hours ago, JoeH said:

Fitness levels incredible. Johnson a different player.

Chris Rush and his staff deserved huge credit for this

14 hours ago, Neal said:

None of what I said is untrue though IMO. Also, he's nowhere near as good a finisher as Armstrong.

I agree. 

10 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

That would be a stupid move.  He's our aggression,  I loved it when he fronted up to Sibley and said, "come on then!, lets fuckin have it you little turd"......or thats what I thought he said to him.

I'm not saying I'd necessarily do it, but it could happen. He's gonna probably miss a good few games through suspension and injury as per anyway.

Dack is the best finisher at the Club and would outscore anyone else over a full season.

He is creative, skilful and also a predator.

Armstrong will score the more spectacular longer distance ones but close in or in 1 on 1 situations Dack's the Man.

Having said that goal scoring will also depend on where Dack is played but I'm on about 'finishing' a chance 

• Like 6

15 hours ago, Neal said:

I'd be open to offers if there are any. It sounds ridiculous but I think he'll suffer without DG and slow play down for us on the counter. This team works, Dack doesn't have the pace to fit into the high press and quick transitions. Hope I'm wrong because he brings goals but we were far too reliant on him, it made us very one dimensional and I fear it may take us back to what we were. Now we have goals from everywhere and a decent fee would help at left back, a 2nd keeper and ease the financial burden which could quite possibly derail a potential promotion winning season. 

Not at all, I've said how reliant we were on him because he was our best player but that's exactly my concern. We no longer need to rely on him, we have goals from everywhere. That said, I do remember many many games he was absolutely awful, especially without DG. If we can keep this form up, how can he improve us? Where does he fit in? As I said, I believe his success with us was heavily down to his partnership with DG. Listen, I hope I'm wrong, because if he can somehow make us even better then there's an even better chance of us getting promoted, so happy days. As this is just matter of opinion though, given the financial uncertainty, our current form, need to strengthen in other areas, I would sell for the right price. Remember, this is just an opinion on a totally hypothetical question... I'm not saying we should be hanging a price around his neck. 

You make very good points you made Neal that I agree with. 

I don't see where Dack fits into this current team or positional. Will he come back the same player after such a injury or will he have to adapt his game now. 

14 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Not only is he more skilful and gifted than most, he is more streetwise and more effective, he gets goals so often, I think he has never gone more than 6 games without a goal here. I just think that the team gets better with Dack in.

I would be surprised if there is much interest anyway unless he gets back with plenty of time to play before January. 

Why does Dack fit into this current system and why would change any of the front 6 when they performing so well? 

on Interest in him, depends how desperate teams get before the deadline. Hope it doesn't happen but in football, money talks.  

25 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

Careful with those, they have been edited to look like Derby were in the races. Basically showing all their chances and just our goals. Considering we had 23 shots, their highlights are from a true reflection.

Yes I read about that re the sky ones, I'm hoping Quest is a little more accurate; maybe that's forlorn, but in a way I don't care as we all know the truth about our dominance yesterday!

It's worth noting actually that although the last two results were very similar, they were achieved in 2 very different ways. Against Wycombe we dominated possession (even before the sending off), whereas yesterday we only had about 40% of the ball. Yet the key stats (goals for / against, shots for / against, on target / off target) were broadly similarly strong in both games.

That bodes really well imo, as to be able to create lots, score lots & not concede in 2 such different types of games points to a good chance of being able to perform like that consistently, injuries & fitness levels allowing.

• Like 2

Wycombe and derby look relegation material to me. Great that we took them apart like you should against poor sides but we will continue to struggle against the better teams. We’ve only played one decent side and we lost, shipping 3 goals in the process

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I don't see where Dack fits into this current team or positional. Will he come back the same player after such a injury or will he have to adapt his game now. 

Dack should get a hat full in this team.  If we are serious about promotion then Mowbray has to keep him and get the most out of him.  Additional funds should be made available for a left back considering the start we have made.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Wycombe and derby look relegation material to me. Great that we took them apart like you should against poor sides but we will continue to struggle against the better teams. We’ve only played one decent side and we lost, shipping 3 goals in the process

True, though most teams in this div  won't produce the precision finishes that Bournemouth did.

16 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

But ..the seasons only three games old .?? .Who are the "better teams" ..no one really knows just yet. 

Reading at top ..Forest at bottom ??  After ten games or so i think we ll have a better idea who are these better teams ..and how many are actually better than us. This is going to be a different season than previous ones ..

39 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

You make very good points you made Neal that I agree with. 

Why does Dack fit into this current system and why would change any of the front 6 when they performing so well? 

on Interest in him, depends how desperate teams get before the deadline. Hope it doesn't happen but in football, money talks.  

Don't worry, Tony will pick Dack when he's fit and you'll support it!

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, 47er said:

Kaminski's distribution was awesome, a feature of his game. I honestly can't remember when we had a keeper with that accuracy, certainly none with more

Jason Steele. That pass to Emmes against Wigan. But everything else in regards to keeping the ball out of the net, he was terrible. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, blue_n_white99 said:

Time to stop being the team that's nice to play against. We've lacked a little nastiness and cynicism for quite a while. Despite the score line Lenihan was determined to keep a clean sheet, a winning mentality in my book, we should be happy he took one for the team. Looks like Ayala's influence is apparent before he's even kicked a ball in anger, long may it continue.

Look, I was a big fan of Hughes's team when we bullied soft teams off the park. Its just that Lenihan is rather indiscriminate and we can't afford to lose him. 

If it were nil-nil in the last minute fair enough.

Just now, CraigF said:

Jason Steele. That pass to Emmes against Wigan. But everything else in regards to keeping the ball out of the net, he was terrible. 

I've got bad memories of Steele so I try not to remember him! But surely he wasn't as consistently accurate as Kaminski was yesterday? That pass to Armstrong was magnificent and so close to being a goal.

53 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Dack is the best finisher at the Club and would outscore anyone else over a full season.

He is creative, skilful and also a predator.

Armstrong will score the more spectacular longer distance ones but close in or in 1 on 1 situations Dack's the Man.

Having said that goal scoring will also depend on where Dack is played but I'm on about 'finishing' a chance 

Dack's got a full hand when it comes to goal scoring. He can finish in many ways, Armstrong is a bit more limited.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, 47er said:

I've got bad memories of Steele so I try not to remember him! But surely he wasn't as consistently accurate as Kaminski was yesterday? That pass to Armstrong was magnificent and so close to being a goal.

You are right his distribution was generally woeful. I can remember a range of horror shows from his kicking from slicing it to conceed a corner to cannoning it off strikers resulting in a goal. 

That said when you have a keeper that poor you tend to remember when they do something right! Like his pass to Emmes. I also recall him having one really good game late on in his time with us (I think) and thinking blimey where did that come from? However it wasnt really repeated. 

• Like 1

One thing I was most impressed with yesterday... Seeing Lennihan drag someone down by their shirt when they were in. For too long have we been soft touches, with Johnson in the middle It just gives us that nastiness we need which breeds through the team. With Rothwell along side him covering ground it just allows him to sit in and pick his moments to push. I think they compliment each other really well and could never understand why TM didn't stick with Joe in CM after passing rings around Brentford at Ewood when he first joined. He's got the prefect engine and passing range for CM. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

We shouldn't be considering Gallagher for a wide role again. Dolan and Chapman with maybe JRC should be our go to players on the right wing.

100% agree. How confident are you Tony will see it the same though? I back him to not change up a winning team, the challenge will be after the next loss. 

So that team yesterday still has Ayala, Travis and Dack to come in. Arguably the best three players at the club. That is insane. We also have Buckley who is def ready to play a role, and Gallagher who has been poor but will still be useful off the bench you hope. 
Folk on here saying yeah but Wycombe and Darby are relegation fodder. These are the exact teams that we have not put away in the past. We also played Newcastle and Bournemouth off the park. Anyone who has watched Rovers consistently over the past few years, like every game, will tell you this is the best Rovers side: formation and personnel wise that we have had since we came down. Loans it is which is fine. Left back and GK please.

Everyone played well yesterday, but Rothwell and Brereton have really stepped up a level this season. Breretons touch at times yesterday was immense.

Edited by Fraserkirky
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

It's simple as this for me, as an old left back, who would I prefer to against -  Dolan or Gallagher  ?  With Dolan he dribbles at real pace, knows when to stick and when to twist, bags of energy, always looking to get into the game. You'd never have a minute's break. With Gallagher he's going to have an advantage in the air  so you'd be relying on team mates to cut down crosses in his direction. After that, out wide he's not much of a threat as long as you don't do anything silly, like giving him too much room and letting him get a run at you.

After turning his back on real attacking wingers for all the time he's been at Ewood ( Conway was played more as a defensive player and Chapman hardly played ) Mowbray appears to have found one down the back of the sofa. At least one winger is getting a game now.

I only see Gallagher as a back up for Armstrong at the moment.

Fully agree however, reading the post match interview, TM referred to Dolan as keeping a '£6m player out the team'.  Seems to me he'd be all too happy to shove Gallagher back out wide.