BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Derby V Rovers

Just now, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Fully agree however, reading the post match interview, TM referred to Dolan as keeping a '£6m player out the team'.  Seems to me he'd be all too happy to shove Gallagher back out wide. 

I'd have to play a yard or two nearer to Dolan than I would with Gallagher. Dolan's control and ability to turn with the ball is instant, Gallagher needs that bit more time to get his big gangling levers going. Of course the fullback playing two yards wider means there is more space in the centre for opponents to exploit. There are no free lunches when you're defending as a unit.

Another thing that makes Dolan a difficult opponent is he leans over the ball a bit when he's running with it, making head on attempts to dispossess him more problematical.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Fully agree however, reading the post match interview, TM referred to Dolan as keeping a '£6m player out the team'.  Seems to me he'd be all too happy to shove Gallagher back out wide. 

if that happens im`e through with the whole mowbray regime,in his extensive list of bizarre decisions,that would be his worst,it`d be like replacing a mitsubishi evo with a transit van

• Like 1

NOBODY is trying to minimise our last 2 results as some are implying. Why should we? i'm absolutely ecstatic.

However, I'm trying to keep a lid on it because there were 2 very poor teams and the table after 2 games is likely not to reflect the table on the final day.

31 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

weren't Derby tip for top 6 by some Championship pundits this season?

Well if there were such pundits they were very misguided.  We can only beat the teams we're up against, I know that and I'm excited at what we are producing but I'm not counting my chickens yet.

• Like 2

Well that was a belter was'nt it.  Not sure how long we can ride this wave of insanity but saddle me up soldier!  Derby a much better opponent than Wycombe, but they also had injuries, we played the same way and returned with the points and more.  Hoping we can see out the next 2 home games in similar form, if so... it could be an exciting season after all... from our sofas ?

• Like 1

• Backroom

For me Mowbray simply has to keep this team and this style of play going. It's a million miles ahead of anything we've seen since Venky's darkened Ewood with their presence. Even when we lose games, as will inevitably happen, I want to stick with what we're seeing now. I'm so used to seeing a slow, sluggish Rovers team that run like the pitch is covered in sludge that the past few games have been like watching a brand new club. We've come a long ways from the days of Akpan, Lowe, Guthrie, Williamson, Henley, Feeney, Browny, Koita, etc... long may it continue. 

I honestly don't see where Gallagher fits into this team. The only role I see for him is as a DG-style battering ram when the ground-game isn't working, but even then he hasn't shown to be particularly good at that either. He can't dribble very well, his ball control is poor and he can't cross so putting him out wide is unacceptable - I don't care how many diagonal headers he supposedly wins. I feel like the team and our playing style has rapidly passed players like Gallagher by, which is unfortunate considering how much we spent on him. 

• Like 6

Don’t think anyone is banking on anything here, just that the team we see before us is much improved. Everything has sped up and we are pressing high up constantly. It’s absolutely fantastic to watch. 
If you can’t get excited about it, what’s the point?

Edited by Fraserkirky
  • Like 6

Very happy with the last two performances - these games against weak opposition are exactly the kind of games we used to throw points away on by not being ruthless enough. An added bonus is we're not as goal-shy as I feared we might be. 

However. I refuse to buy into the hype until we get some cover for GK and another LB - Bell has done well but there's been less pressure on him.

If we can keep it up for the next month or so I'll buy into it more but for now I will be cautiously optimistic.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, 47er said:

NOBODY is trying to minimise our last 2 results as some are implying. Why should we? i'm absolutely ecstatic.

However, I'm trying to keep a lid on it because there were 2 very poor teams and the table after 2 games is likely not to reflect the table on the final day.

Well if there were such pundits they were very misguided.  We can only beat the teams we're up against, I know that and I'm excited at what we are producing but I'm not counting my chickens yet.

Just how I feel. It's great to see us banging in the goals but lets not get carried away. Wycombe are really poor and Derby have lost their way. Very much like Rovers were in the Berg, Appleton, Bowyer period. They look very fragile mentally. It might have been another game altogether if that shot that beat Kaminski but was going in until a Rovers defender blocked it had actually gone in. In both games we scored first, that's massively important.

• Like 1

Including last season, Derby have lost 7 straight. Yes, we beat two poor teams emphatically. That's the rub. In previous seasons, we'd have contrived to beat both 2 -1 clinging on, in injury time, trying to preserve our lead and just managing it.

Why are those of us who have called for Mowbray's head supposed to be unhappy now we're winning and winning well? Mowbray's playing players in their correct positions, pressing and 'on the front foot'. It's how he used to have a team play football, when he managed West Brom.

Perhaps the emergence of Dolan has been the catalyst.

• Like 1

• Backroom
4 minutes ago, Richard Oakley said:

Including last season, Derby have lost 7 straight. Yes, we beat two poor teams emphatically. That's the rub. In previous seasons, we'd have contrived to beat both 2 -1 clinging on, in injury time, trying to preserve our lead and just managing it.

Or drawn/lost. Traditionally we have been the team to play if you're on a losing run - hopefully those days are over.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Also suggests that TM is at least choosing on merit and praising Dolan whilst giving Gallagher a nudge.

Hard to say "look at Brereton" until he notches a few but otherwise BB has shown what is required in that position.

• Like 1

• Moderation Lead

Was away yesterday, so I’ve only just caught up with the highlights and the thread.

Not getting giddy about promotion chances just yet, but I’m delighted with our last two results to be honest. Whatever it is we are doing, we need to keep doing it, as it’s working incredibly well at the moment!

The only thing that would make it better would be seeing it in person. Was over the moon yesterday when I saw the result and I’m into that feeling! 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Fraserkirky said:

I think it’s Rothwell 

Rothwell's started off like a house on fire. I think even over the last few games you can criticise him for not doing better with his chances in front of goal, but in terms of creating chances he's developing the ruthless streak that he's been missing until now. Only having one assist for about 80% of last season was criminal for a player with his ability. 

14 minutes ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

Rothwell's started off like a house on fire. I think even over the last few games you can criticise him for not doing better with his chances in front of goal, but in terms of creating chances he's developing the ruthless streak that he's been missing until now. Only having one assist for about 80% of last season was criminal for a player with his ability. 

There are attacking players like Armstrong who are quite happy to jog along and not get a really significant touch of the ball for 5 even 10 minutes.  They've got that inner confidence that even if they haven't contributed much so far they're still worth their place in the side, Then a good ball comes their way and they come alive. Then there are the attacking players who when they don't see the ball for 5 or 10 minutes they start getting anxious, start worrying about their contribution  and they can go into their shell and never come out. I think Rothwell was like that when he was played as a winger. In a more central role he's in the game a lot more and he can't switch off as easily.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 5

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

There are attacking players like Armstrong who are quite happy to jog along and not get a really significant touch of the ball for 5 even 10 minutes. But when the ball comes their way they come alive. Then there are the attacking players who when they don't see the ball for 5 or 10 minutes they can go into their shell and never come out. I think Rothwell was like that when he was played as a winger. In a more central role he's in the game a lot more and he can't switch off as easily.

Completely agree. He played most of his football for Oxford there didn't he? I think both him and Holtby are benefitting from each other's form too. I could be wrong, but I've got the impression over the last 12 months (especially since Dack's injury) that our attacking midfielders have suffered a bit from needing to be the 'main man' at different periods. If there are 3 or so attacking players who are all at the top of their game, then you can't double up on them all. 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Fraserkirky said:

I think it’s Rothwell 

You could make the case for a few. 

Kaminski very competent start. 

Williams playing like baresi

Holtby & Rothwell staring 

Dolan obviously. 

Personally I have been massively impressed with Johnson. Starting to look like the player I hoped he would be. Goals from midfielders is something we haven't had for so long. And it's vital. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, JacknOry said:

yeah Rothwell too, dont know what he was thinking, was never getting that. Excellent performance from him otherwise though. Needs to work on his shooting though, which he would just leather it sometimes instead of going for placement (which is not even good placement anyway).

I loved Rothwell's effort. His tackle wasn't far from the ball, and I doubt he touched the dirty Derby diver. Both our players did the right thing without a doubt.

4 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

You make very good points you made Neal that I agree with. 

I don't see where Dack fits into this current team or positional. Will he come back the same player after such a injury or will he have to adapt his game now. 

Why does Dack fit into this current system and why would change any of the front 6 when they performing so well? 

on Interest in him, depends how desperate teams get before the deadline. Hope it doesn't happen but in football, money talks.  

If Dack was fit next week to start, would I put him in the team? No, we have just won 5 nil and 4 nil so of course not. Its 2 games though. Overall, is Dack a player that gets into the team over Brereton, Dolan, Rothwell and indeed I would say even the impressive Holtby? Yes. There is a debate as to how he fits in, there are a few possible answers, but it should be a headache that Mowbray welcomes, not an inconvenience. 

Some people IMO have forgotten quite how good Dack is. He isnt a League 1 plodder whom we are better off without, hes one of the best attacking players in the division. His return should be one we can be excited about, yes theres a slim chance that the injury will have affected him, but he has said during that he is in great shape generally so maybe he will come back even better.

I don’t believe we need to worry too much about where Dack will fit in. He’s going to take some time to get up to speed and fitness so there’s no rush.

its also likely that injuries will mean a spot opens up and if he is ready then that’s where he gets an opportunity. If not then it’s down to TM to decide who makes way. It’s a great problem to have and not one to be concerned about. More important is that we continue with our more positive approach which I’m sure Dack will fit back into no problem. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

If Dack was fit next week to start, would I put him in the team? No, we have just won 5 nil and 4 nil so of course not. Its 2 games though. Overall, is Dack a player that gets into the team over Brereton, Dolan, Rothwell and indeed I would say even the impressive Holtby? Yes. There is a debate as to how he fits in, there are a few possible answers, but it should be a headache that Mowbray welcomes, not an inconvenience. 

Some people IMO have forgotten quite how good Dack is. He isnt a League 1 plodder whom we are better off without, hes one of the best attacking players in the division. His return should be one we can be excited about, yes theres a slim chance that the injury will have affected him, but he has said during that he is in great shape generally so maybe he will come back even better.

I would bring him on towards the end of a game in Armstrong's position first.

Just now, Vilesinner said:

I would bring him on towards the end of a game in Armstrong's position first.

Ultimately the problem is that people are saying where does he get in if we are in the same form as we are now and when Dack is fully fit, ultimately I very much doubt that we will put a 5 nil and 4 nil win together again in succession!

I just think his return is something to be excited about, I think people forget how good Bradley Dack is, or for some reason are shoehorning him as a player who can only thrive in a team that lumps it forward. He is the most skilful player we have and a brilliant goalscorer.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Ultimately the problem is that people are saying where does he get in if we are in the same form as we are now and when Dack is fully fit, ultimately I very much doubt that we will put a 5 nil and 4 nil win together again in succession!

I just think his return is something to be excited about, I think people forget how good Bradley Dack is, or for some reason are shoehorning him as a player who can only thrive in a team that lumps it forward. He is the most skilful player we have and a brilliant goalscorer.

Yes indeed. Armstrong was probably our poorest player yesterday. Who knows what a fully fit Dack would've done in his position.

I would certainly have him close to goal.

It's a nice option to have; gonna be a long season.