BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Derby V Rovers

22 hours ago, briansol said:

I saw someone on the Derby forum said we've copied Leeds and are now playing like Leeds, and I think there is a lot of truth to it.

The biggest thing for me is that the new system works very well with the players we have. The front 3 and the midfield works very hard out of possesion and closes down in packs. Neither Newcastle or Derby could get out of their own half. Wycombe tried the direct route but the defence gobbled up everything and kept the pressure up. Johnson is very good at dropping back when the full-backs are attacking, in addition he is great in the air and a physical presence.

Attacking wise is such a difference because all 3 front have pace and can go past a player. If the opposition go forward, we can hit them on the break. Rothwell and Holtby has certainly benefited from their new roles. Rothwell has a great engine, and his bursting runs from central creates unbalance in their defensive lines and opens up the forward, e.g first goal Yesterday. Holtby is much fitter and a wonderful footballer who can keep the ball and create chances with his passing. Also very impressed with his defensive contribution, no cheating there. 

Also special mentioning to Williams, who might've been our best player so far, certainly in defence. 

Not worried about Dack fitting in. He's just a quality footballer who can easily play in different positions. I think he will come back in a more fit version and fight his way into the team. One thing I'm sure of, we shouldn't adapt the system to fit Dack. What we see now is we are getting the most of the sum of parts, rather than optimizing for the best part. 

i saw that post too. Was something like...

Watched how Leeds play

Copied how Leeds Play

Playing like Leeds Play

• Like 1

22 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Can Dack play the role that Holtby and Rothwell do in the midfield 3? 

what are these possible answers? 

No-one has forgotten the major part Dack played in Rovers success under Mowbray, but we have change our style and formation now, and the big question is can Dack fit into this or was this done cos Mowbray and Rovers expect Dack to go in coming months. 

I would say until Dack in playing in competitive game of football he won't really know whether the knee will affect him long term or his game or his mentally.  

Strange how you are suddenly anti-Dack. Look at his goal scoring record and tell me he shouldnt be in the starting eleven. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Me, the defensive one. I could run all day and I liked a tackle. Get the ball and give it to the other two lads. I could run past people but beating them in a dribble wasn't my strong point.

My mate told me to put money on leicester winning the league again...

He also told me to put money on Utd getting relegated however...500 to 1, worth a quid lol

32 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

Strange how you are suddenly anti-Dack. Look at his goal scoring record and tell me he shouldnt be in the starting eleven. 

The crazy thing is Chaddy was adamant we'd have made the playoffs if Dack was available for the rest of last season

• Like 7

6 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

It's true though right? Big, can't head, likes playing on the wing, falls over his feet, can't shoot but batters his way through.

Once you see it you can't unsee it.

The first time I saw Heskey play when he was a kid I  - " The new Shearer ". He was awesome for a lad. Pace and power. He never quite made it to that level but he certainly liked scoring against Rovers.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

The first time I saw Heskey play when he was a kid I  - " The new Shearer ". He was awesome for a lad. Pace and power. He never quite made it to that level but he certainly liked scoring against Rovers.

Underrated was Heskey. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

He played in the game Duff made his debut for Rovers.

Duff was obviously a phenomenal talent but Rovers couldn't do anything about Heskey who destroyed us.

Leicester won 4-2 and Heskey scored 2 if not a hattriick.

I remember the Leicester fans chanting their nickname for him - Bruno Bruno

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I thought so too but I don't think he ever reached the heights he should have done. He was like a fast Sonny Liston to look at but he never really made the most of his physique. I suspect he wasn't mean enough as a person.

Yeah, he had a decent career though. he had the package, pace and power.

4 minutes ago, philipl said:

Duff was obviously a phenomenal talent but Rovers couldn't do anything about Heskey who destroyed us.

A bit like Devon Malcolm in the cricket. He needed to get mad. I remember the South Africans bouncing him. He got really mad at that , I think he took something like 8 for 40 when he got to bowl at them !

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I thought so too but I don't think he ever reached the heights he should have done. He was like a fast Sonny Liston to look at but he never really made the most of his physique. I suspect he wasn't mean enough as a person.

When we played Leicester in the friendly one of the commentators said Heskey often used to play centre back in training for fun. Said he was the best centre-back he'd seen and would've been world class in that position. Sounded a bit far-fetched at the time but given his skill set it kind of makes sense. I think Rio Ferdinand started out as a midfielder, but found his calling at centre-back. 

8 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I hope we don't change from this 4-3-3 formation. We have been playing this formation and style very well this season. Every player understands their role within the team structure 

Against 9th place in League 1 and Derby who have won 2 games in 11. 

i am happy with how we are playing but you have to reign in your thoughts a little. Dack comes in to any team, let alone ours.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I hope we don't change from this 4-3-3 formation. We have been playing this formation and style very well this season. Every player understands their role within the team structure 

What I noticed was we were getting plenty of bodies up and around the box. As mentioned 7 up in the last third. When did that last happen ? Johnson for instance got up to the " D " for two shots at goal. It's a high risk strategy at times but I prefer that way of playing to the our previous rather laboured walking football. 

• Like 3

On 28/09/2020 at 16:36, philipl said:

He destroyed Hendry that game, not many did.

IMO Martin O'Neill stiffled Heskey by teaching him to go down when a defender came close. 

Although he had a good career, I agree he never reached his full potential that he showed in that game.

• Like 1

All this talk of Dack reminds me of the Jordan Rhodes debate. Do you focus around your most dangerous player or go for a team approach?

For me, this formation is much better to watch but the jury is out on its efficacy. However, I am optimistic on early showings! I wouldn't change it for Dack but not something we need to worry about just yet.

I'm sure we will work on various styles in training so we don't necessarily have to shoehorn him in, it will be a horses for courses approach. We know Tony loves a tinker!