BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Cardiff (H) - Saturday 3rd October 2020

Cardiff (H) - Saturday 3rd October 2020

Cardiff City at home. A bang average start for the Bluebirds, with losses to Sheffield Wednesday and Reading sandwiching a win over struggling Nottingham Forest. Greg Cunningham is expected to play left-back for them which should certainly be interesting. Kieffer Moore will provide an aerial threat through the middle, with Junior Hoilett off the left always being dangerous.

For Rovers, Joe Rankin-Costello won't play after picking up a hamstring injury. Bradley Dack, Daniel Ayala, Sam Gallagher and Corry Evans all expected to not travel to Ewood.

• Score Prediction & Scorers:
  • Line-Up Prediction:
  • Line-Up Wishlist:

Same team except Nyambe for JRC.

Cardiff is a different challenge for us. They've got out and out wingers in Ojo and Hoilett so our full backs will be in for a tough day but suspect they will be more than up to the challenge. There's not really anybody that worries me as I think Lenihan and Williams can handle Moore between them.

Predicting a 3-1 win

With any luck Brereton to get on the score sheet. He has done everything but score this season and deserves his reward.

Feels strange already looking forward to a game.....optimism well and truly back. 

• Like 5

This will no doubt be a better indicator of where we are than against Derby. Win here and we can go into the international break full of optimism.

Amazing how your perspective can change from just 1 or 2 results. When the fixtures first came out I was looking at the games in September and October where we could pick up the points to keep us competitive after a difficult start. Now I'm looking at the Cardiff & Forest home games as opportunities to already put decent gaps between ourselves and play off rivals.

11 minutes ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

ourselves and play off rivals.

I wonder who the play-off rivals will be. Certainly doesn't seem like Derby or Forest will challenge. Maybe Swansea are one you could sketch into a top 6 position, but I wouldn't write them in with an ink pen either. Wide open season

• K-Hod pinned this topic

Important to keep the momentum going.

I suspect this will be high scoring with both teams getting on the score sheet. Sooner or later if we repeat the slow starts like we had against both Wycombe and Derby we will let in the first goal and make the afternoon significantly more difficult for ourselves.

However, no panicking when it is still 0-0 after 20 minutes please.

Saying it will be the same team as last time except Nyambe in for JRC is a pretty safe bet.

Just now, JoeH said:

I wonder who the play-off rivals will be. Certainly doesn't seem like Derby or Forest will challenge. Maybe Swansea are one you could sketch into a top 6 position, but I wouldn't write them in with an ink pen either. Wide open season

It's a good question, definitely seemed like a wide-open league before a ball was kicked, but I'd have certainly had Forest and even Derby before last weekend as in with a chance. Forest still have the squad to make a comeback in my view, but the manner in which they missed out last year can either make or break teams. On the evidence so far, it looks as though it might have broken them.

I think you're right about Swansea, they've recruited well but then again they've needed to seeing as they've lost two premierleague quality players in Brewster and Gallagher. 

I know we're getting a bit giddy after two thumpings, but it's all there for us to challenge for the top 6 this year.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

It's a good question, definitely seemed like a wide-open league before a ball was kicked, but I'd have certainly had Forest and even Derby before last weekend as in with a chance. Forest still have the squad to make a comeback in my view, but the manner in which they missed out last year can either make or break teams. On the evidence so far, it looks as though it might have broken them.

I think you're right about Swansea, they've recruited well but then again they've needed to seeing as they've lost two premierleague quality players in Brewster and Gallagher. 

I know we're getting a bit giddy after two thumpings, but it's all there for us to challenge for the top 6 this year.

Yeah, I mean I can't see Reading sustaining it. There's only ourselves, Bristol City and Swansea City who I'd say look like they could finish 3rd to 6th so far. Can see Bournemouth and Watford taking the automatics. If I had to place a bet this early I'd go: 

1. Bournemouth
2. Watford
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
3. Norwich City
4. Swansea City
5. Bristol City
6. Blackburn Rovers

But we all know it isn't that simple!!

5 minutes ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

I think this league is there for the taking. The 3 premier league teams to be relegated were all pretty dreadful and are probably at the right level for their squad. Bournemouth are perhaps the better of the 3, but they are / have lost their better players. Last season Leeds and Baggies' squads were good enough to pretty much guarantee a top 6 finish but I don't think we even have 2 teams who we can guarantee play offs for.

You have to suspect that eventually the Premier League quality of Bournemouth, Watford and Norwich will show itself but I'm not exactly frightened of any of them.

I can't see Reading and Bristol City keeping up this form but in this league nothing surprises me. I'd place a wager that we are amongst the best in the league at the moment and suspect the top 6 will consist of the likes of us, the three relegated teams, Swansea, Brentford, Milwall, Bristol City & potentially Boro. Any variation of that won't be far wrong.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Yeah, I mean I can't see Reading sustaining it. There's only ourselves, Bristol City and Swansea City who I'd say look like they could finish 3rd to 6th so far. Can see Bournemouth and Watford taking the automatics. If I had to place a bet this early I'd go: 

1. Bournemouth
2. Watford
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
3. Norwich City
4. Swansea City
5. Bristol City
6. Blackburn Rovers

But we all know it isn't that simple!!

I know they lost at the weekend, but I'm still looking at Cardiff as a team who could challenge too. That looks like a pretty sensible top 6, but even there you can make a strong case for all of them dropping off, for different reasons (including us, obviously!). All the recently relegated teams are doing the typical thing of picking up early season points without really looking completely convincing, so I'm thinking law of averages will be that at least one of them will start sinking sooner rather than later. I'd probably expect Brentford to be good enough to get a top-6 spot too unless Toney turns out to be no good at all. I'd guess that PNE have had their chance too unless they pull a rabbit out of the hat recruitment-wise. They're an Adam Armstrong away from being a really good Championship side - but with the striking  options they have at present, even Chris Brown would get a game.

Beautiful thing about this league is that by Christmas half of what I've just said will probably look ridiculous. 

Edited by Admiral Nelsen
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

You have to suspect that eventually the Premier League quality of Bournemouth, Watford and Norwich will show itself but I'm not exactly frightened of any of them.

I can't see Reading and Bristol City keeping up this form but in this league nothing surprises me. I'd place a wager that we are amongst the best in the league at the moment and suspect the top 6 will consist of the likes of us, the three relegated teams, Swansea, Brentford, Milwall, Bristol City & potentially Boro. Any variation of that won't be far wrong.

Still sussing out Watford, on the face of it their squad is ridiculous, but no more ridiculous than one which contains Robinson, Scott Dann, Martin Olsson, Danny Murphy, Etuhu, Leon Best, Nuno Gomes, Givet & Pedersen!

Don't think you'll be far wrong with those teams, but I'd swap Cardiff for Boro. Signing Moore is a big things for a team who plays like they do, and although it's early days, I'm not sure whether Boro are reacting to Warnock's magic in the way that other clubs have tended to. 

• Moderation Lead

We’ve had a cracking start really, but the only thing that I can see counting against us is our defence and a lack of depth/ quality there. (I’m talking left back mainly). 
We obviously have time to correct that, but towards the end of the campaign, it’s the depth of all the squads that will be the deciding factor for me. Injuries happen to everyone, I suppose it’s good in a way that we have the likes of Travis and Dack to come back!

• Like 1

I know it is early days but Reading are looking extremely useful. Having hit the top with 9 points in the bag already I expect them to stay in the hunt.

From what I have seen so far, I think we have already played the best team in the league- Bournemouth.

I don't have the feeling about any club this time out I had from the get go about Leeds- they were always going to take one promotion slot while Fulham were always the class outfit in the Championship 2019/20.

Places 1 to 6 are very open this season.

One point I will add, feeling very grateful about Sheffield Wednesday's -12 start. They are looking a strong outfit and were extremely unfortunate to lose at Bristol City. 

I don't think I have looked forward to a game so much in years. This should be an absolute cracker. Same team with Nyambe in for injured JRC.

Cardiff are a relatively direct team who will play it long into Moore and will use Hoilett's and Ojo's pace down the flanks. Basically they are a very good test to the weaknesses of our system. If we can pull another top performance out I will really start believing something special is on the cards. But I do think it's going to be much much busier for our back four.

Expecting something like a 2-2 draw.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

3 nil to us, Cardiff will not be able to handle us if we show the form and confidence of the last two games. 

As for Reading, good start but they will fall away.

Ovie Ejaria Ovie Ejaria
Left Winger
22 England
Nigeria
Liverpool FC Liverpool
EnglandPremier League
€3.90m

Josh Laurent Josh Laurent
Central Midfield
25 England
Shrewsbury Town Shrewsbury
EnglandLeague One
Free transfer

Lewis Gibson Lewis Gibson
Centre-Back
20 England
Everton FC U23 Everton U23
EnglandPremier League 2
Loan
-

Adrian Popa Adrian Popa
Right Winger
31 Romania
FCSB FCSB
RomaniaLiga 1 - Championship group
End of loan
Jun 30, 2020

Jordan Holsgrove Jordan Holsgrove
Central Midfield
20 Scotland
England
Atlético Baleares Atl. Baleares
SpainSegunda División B - Grupo I
End of loan
Jun 30, 2020

Vito Mannone Vito Mannone
Goalkeeper
32 Italy
Esbjerg fB Esbjerg fB
DenmarkNordicBet LIGA
End of loan
Jul 31, 2020

So Reading's transfer business was to convert three successful loanees to permanent add a decent squad midfielder, spend money to get a winger from Liverpool and bring in a hugely promising PL central defender loanee from Everton. 

From what I have seen of them Reading look the business this year. Much more so than Bristol City, the other 100% club. 

4 minutes ago, philipl said:
Ovie Ejaria Ovie Ejaria
Left Winger
22 England
Nigeria
Liverpool FC Liverpool
EnglandPremier League
€3.90m

Central Midfield
25 England
EnglandLeague One
Free transfer

Centre-Back
20 England
EnglandPremier League 2
Loan
-

Adrian Popa Adrian Popa
Right Winger
31 Romania
FCSB FCSB
End of loan
Jun 30, 2020

Central Midfield
20 Scotland
England
End of loan
Jun 30, 2020

Goalkeeper
32 Italy
Esbjerg fB Esbjerg fB
DenmarkNordicBet LIGA
End of loan
Jul 31, 2020

So Reading's transfer business was to convert three successful loanees to permanent add a decent squad midfielder, spend money to get a winger from Liverpool and bring in a hugely promising PL central defender loanee from Everton. 

From what I have seen of them Reading look the business this year. Much more so than Bristol City, the other 100% club. 

All opinions but just do not see them challenging the top 6.

7 minutes ago, philipl said:
Ovie Ejaria Ovie Ejaria
Left Winger
22 England
Nigeria
Liverpool FC Liverpool
EnglandPremier League
€3.90m

Central Midfield
25 England
EnglandLeague One
Free transfer

Centre-Back
20 England
EnglandPremier League 2
Loan
-

Adrian Popa Adrian Popa
Right Winger
31 Romania
FCSB FCSB
End of loan
Jun 30, 2020

Central Midfield
20 Scotland
England
End of loan
Jun 30, 2020

Goalkeeper
32 Italy
Esbjerg fB Esbjerg fB
DenmarkNordicBet LIGA
End of loan
Jul 31, 2020

You could well be right, for what it's worth my perception of Reading is that they rely pretty heavily on their talented but unreliable forwards, Joao, Puskas and Meite. Could be wrong, and in fairness Swift looks a good player too. 

With a new manager who has no experience of the league, I had them down as more likely to be looking over their shoulder for relegation rather than going up, let's see. 

15 minutes ago, philipl said:
Ovie Ejaria Ovie Ejaria
Left Winger
22 England
Nigeria
Liverpool FC Liverpool
EnglandPremier League
€3.90m

Central Midfield
25 England
EnglandLeague One
Free transfer

Centre-Back
20 England
EnglandPremier League 2
Loan
-

Adrian Popa Adrian Popa
Right Winger
31 Romania
FCSB FCSB
End of loan
Jun 30, 2020

Central Midfield
20 Scotland
England
End of loan
Jun 30, 2020

Goalkeeper
32 Italy
Esbjerg fB Esbjerg fB
DenmarkNordicBet LIGA
End of loan
Jul 31, 2020

The 3 players at the bottom are players who were out on loan last season who have since left permanently.

Ejaria was there last year, a very talented player who they made permanent.

25 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

The 3 players at the bottom are players who were out on loan last season who have since left permanently.

Ejaria was there last year, a very talented player who they made permanent.

I misread Transfermarkt- apologies.

Agreed about Ejaria.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

You could well be right, for what it's worth my perception of Reading is that they rely pretty heavily on their talented but unreliable forwards, Joao, Puskas and Meite. Could be wrong, and in fairness Swift looks a good player too. 

With a new manager who has no experience of the league, I had them down as more likely to be looking over their shoulder for relegation rather than going up, let's see. 

Joao went off with a dislocated shoulder at the weekend. Could be a couple of months out.

[EDIT] And Swift is out until Christmas I think.

Edited by XLM