BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Cardiff (H) - Saturday 3rd October 2020

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Totally crazy when he is good enough for the Championship already and deffo need any spell at league 1 or Conference level. 

The only times he has looked good enough in the Championship were against Charlton who got relegated to League 1 and when he came on a 4-0 up at home to the side who finished last season 9th in League 1 and who were down to 10 men.

14 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Was around 12 months ago that I first heard from a member of the Rovers youth set up that Buckley is the jewel in the crown that is our academy. That accolade seems even more impressive considering they were including those from our academy who are already involved (Nyambe, Trav, Lenihan).

Yet at 21 he has still only started 5 league games. You'd have thought if he was that talented he would have been starting games far more regularly by now.

16 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

There was a lot of talk buzzing around the lounge that day that if Bucko had a run in the team then there may be a bid in Jan. There was even a suggestion that Rovers had said they wouldn’t accept anything other than 8 figures. Apparently those two and another PL team had been tracking him for a while.

His performance when he started at Huddersfield will have put paid to any of that, if it was anymore than talk. He looked like the very definition of a boy in a man's game and I'm not surprised that Mowbray has only decided to name him in the starting 11 just once since that performance.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JoeH said:

I get your point, but you have to understand that if a team is coming to Ewood to get a point, and then they get a man sent off, they’re literally going to sit all 10 men behind the ball.

10 men is harder to beat because they just block you out. If you’re 1-0 up and the other team gets a red, off to the races we go. See Sheffield Wednesday away last year.

Its not harder to beat 10 men compared to 11, logic tells you that with an extra man, a team is in a better position to compete.

Ultimately it is the change of tactic that causes us specifically problems. We struggle to break down teams who sit in. When they went down to 10 men and sat deep, we had no idea what to do to get through, everything was slow and passive. It is something which we need to work on because there were 2 points there for us if we had the craft and the tempo to get through.

Its probably something that you regularly point out about when poor teams come to Ewood and we struggle to break them down.

• Like 3

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Its not harder to beat 10 men compared to 11, logic tells you that with an extra man, a team is in a better position to compete.

Ultimately it is the change of tactic that causes us specifically problems. We struggle to break down teams who sit in. When they went down to 10 men and sat deep, we had no idea what to do to get through, everything was slow and passive. It is something which we need to work on because there were 2 points there for us if we had the craft and the tempo to get through.

Its probably something that you regularly point out about when poor teams come to Ewood and we struggle to break them down.

We did break them down though, Gallagher should have put that chance away,he does that and chances are we score more

• Like 1

Just now, islander200 said:

We did break them down though, Gallagher should have put that chance away,he does that and chances are we score more

We only really created that one chance, which we didnt take. There was too much slow and lethargic side to side passing with little idea of how to break them down. That Gallagher chance was minutes after the red card, after that it should have been constant pressure with Cardiff having no intention of attacking. The game fizzled out.

7 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

The only times he has looked good enough in the Championship were against Charlton who got relegated to League 1 and when he came on a 4-0 up at home to the side who finished last season 9th in League 1 and who were down to 10 men.

in your opinion but many other posters don't agree and are more than happy for his development to happen at Rovers and playing 1st team football here. 

We only really created that one chance, which we didnt take. There was too much slow and lethargic side to side passing with little idea of how to break them down. That Gallagher chance was minutes after the red card, after that it should have been constant pressure with Cardiff having no intention of attacking. The game fizzled out.

The game fizzled out cos Cardiff were defensively solid and very well organised with 10 men. 

You can complain about us not breaking them down but you have suggested nothing that would have led us to break them down and move them out of position. Would you have gone 4-4-2 and long ball to Gallagher like some people have said? and what subs would you have made thats Mowbray didn't make yesterday?

The game fizzled out cos Cardiff were defensively solid and very well organised with 10 men. 

You can complain about us not breaking them down but you have suggested nothing that would have led us to break them down and move them out of position. Would you have gone 4-4-2 and long ball to Gallagher like some people have said? and what subs would you have made thats Mowbray didn't make yesterday?

My point is that as a team, we struggle to break teams down that sit in behind the ball. We played at far too low a tempo, constantly passing sideways playing safe passes, and lacked the personnel to get much in the away of serious opportunities. There was no late flurry of chances or proper pressure and the game fizzled out, which we have seen before with the onus on us to score.

You dont have to come to a staunch defence of the manager as if I was saying he should have specifically done x and y. I was just pointing out an area that I think we need to improve, or a point of weakness.

That was the game to rest Dolan and bring him on last 20.  Mowbray fucked it up, again.  It was obvious cardiff were going to double up on him.

Mowbray should have been clever and give the lad a rest.  Like i said a few days ago.  He's very small and not filled out by any means.

My point is that as a team, we struggle to break teams down that sit in behind the ball. We played at far too low a tempo, constantly passing sideways playing safe passes, and lacked the personnel to get much in the away of serious opportunities. There was no late flurry of chances or proper pressure and the game fizzled out, which we have seen before with the onus on us to score.

You dont have to come to a staunch defence of the manager as if I was saying he should have specifically done x and y. I was just pointing out an area that I think we need to improve, or a point of weakness.

Cardiff tactics didn't allow us to have a flurry of chances tho. Harris has them very well drilled and organised so you need to give Harris and his players the credit they deserved. 

It isn't a defence of the manager but you haven't suggest anything you would have done differently, so is there any different subs you would have make or change tactics to 4-4-2 formation for examples? 

24 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

You've got to be making more than one good chance per game if you've got the likes of Gallagher, Brererton and Rothwell getting on the end of them.

I agree but the conditions have to be taken into account when analysing yesterday's game ,we also won't come up against many teams who can play the sort of tactics as good as Cardiff did yesterday.

In our four league matches to date we have created a lot of chances,even against Bournemouth we were unlucky not to have scored more that the 2 we got.

.Yesterday we also had the most clear cut chances, Armstrong and Gallagher should have done better.If Gallagher had that chance 100 times he would score many more times than he misses it.

2 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

That was the game to rest Dolan and bring him on last 20.  Mowbray fucked it up, again.  It was obvious cardiff were going to double up on him.

Mowbray should have been clever and give the lad a rest.  Like i said a few days ago.  He's very small and not filled out by any means.

Dropping one of our most inform players? Resting him before the international break? Cmon 

• Like 2

Just now, Sparks Rover said:

Not dropping him.  Keeping him.fresh as a daisy as he really is a baby

Personally I feel like he’s proven that he’s more than ready for first team football. While it didn’t quite happen for him yesterday he can be the kind of player that you need to break a team like Cardiff down. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, TruRover said:

Personally I feel like he’s proven that he’s more than ready for first team football. While it didn’t quite happen for him yesterday he can be the kind of player that you need to break a team like Cardiff down. 

Yes when they are knackered last 20.  He can't start every game. 

18 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

Hindsight's a wonderful thing but it would have been absolutely ludicrous to rest Dolan after the way he was playing. Prior to Saturday he's looked by far our best player every time he's turned out. Yes, as events turned out  Cardiff had taken note of his impact and doubled or even trebled up on him but I wouldn't say he was significantly any worse than the likes of Holtby, Rothwell and Brereton who had also previously shone but who also failed to make any impact whatsoever.

The worry for me is not that TM will overplay Dolan, it's that he will use one ordinary game as an excuse to do what you're doing and say that he isn't ready or needs resting.  If Dolan fails to perform over an extended period of time then sure but I've always had the sense with Mowbray that young players have to absolutely rip it up when they get a chance or be left out again whereas historically certain older players like Bennett, Evans, Graham in his latter days and now Gallagher could  be rubbish month after month yer their place would never be in any jeopardy and the manager can't wait to get them back onto the pitch if they've been out.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

Can you imagine the uproar on here if he had been dropped for Gallagher? 

Why rest him just before the international break?