BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Cardiff (H) - Saturday 3rd October 2020

3 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Hindsight's a wonderful thing but it would have been absolutely ludicrous to rest Dolan after the way he was playing. Prior to Saturday he's looked by far our best player every time he's turned out. Yes, as events turned out  Cardiff had taken note of his impact and doubled or even trebled up on him but I wouldn't say he was significantly any worse than the likes of Holtby, Rothwell and Brereton who had also previously shone but who also failed to make any impact whatsoever.

I just feel we never have a proper impact sub.  Maybe Dolan on for the last 25 would have been perfect.   Its not dropping him, just utilising him properly 

On 03/10/2020 at 23:01, Ossydave said:

You can tell when people haven't played football at a decent level. Playing against 10 men is quite often harder than playing vs 11.

What a ludicrous statement.

So it's easier to line up with 9 behind the ball than 10 is it?

It's a wonder everyone doesn't try it and announce 10 names on the team sheet half an hour before the game.

3 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

I just feel we never have a proper impact sub.  Maybe Dolan on for the last 25 would have been perfect.   Its not dropping him, just utilising him properly 

Unless he was injured in that bad challenge just beforehand I wouldn't actually have taken him off.

It's a bit like leaving Armstrong or any player of real quality on, they might not be having their best game but you still feel that if a chance falls to them or you need a moment of inspiration they're still your most likely source.

Again with hindsight, after they went down to 10 Dolan was just the sort of player we needed on the pitch to find a moment of magic as we huffed and puffed.

I also hate the term "impact sub". Too often a byword for leaving your most effective player out. It should be reserved for the odd occasion when you need to try something different and go more direct for the last 15 mins and bring on an alehouse centre forward like Kuqi!

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

I also hate the term "impact sub". Too often a byword for leaving your most effective player out. It should be reserved for the odd occasion when you need to try something different and go more direct for the last 15 mins and bring on an alehouse centre forward like Kuqi!

I go back to what I said previous.  He can't play every game, he isn't developed physically and is liable to injury.  I just think that Mowbray needs to think about what he does with him and let him come on last 25 in some games to run at tired full backs and win games in the last 20 mins.  Historically we don't finish games well and certainly I've seen loads of frustrating 0-0s at ewood where we were praying for someone like Dolan to be on the bench.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sparks Rover said:

Agree on the sub thing its been badly missing a long time but just kind of sums up the lack of overall quality we've had. Often under TM its just been like for like or getting mins for players.  If CHapman got his act together he'd fit into that category but game changing subs at Rovers in recent years have been very thick on the ground.

Tactics play a part as well though when you chuck on your expensive young signing or 6'3 striker out wide then it's not going to have the same effect as getting them in the thick of it and aiming for them.

Edited by tomphil

2 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

I go back to what I said previous.  He can't play every game, he isn't developed physically and is liable to injury.  I just think that Mowbray needs to think about what he does with him and let him come on last 25 in some games to run at tired full backs and win games in the last 20 mins.  Historically we don't finish games well and certainly I've seen loads of frustrating 0-0s at ewood where we were praying for someone like Dolan to be on the bench.

I agree that he's got to be handled with care until he's physically capable of playing 90 minutes regularly.

36 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I agree that he's got to be handled with care until he's physically capable of playing 90 minutes regularly.

I don't buy that line.  Dolan looked flat on Saturday but then they all did. Physically you should be capable of playing seven days a week at that age 

I've heard it said that younger players find it harder to achieve consistency at that age which is fair enough, but I'd say that about any player, if they're dipping below their normal levels, take them out of the firing line for a bit. Not leave them in indefinitely because they're "experienced".

On 04/10/2020 at 05:49, WIR Second Coming said:

Yes, and we all have great memories of classic goals scored by our own team storming down the flanks and crossing to the battering ram in the middle. It is so out of vogue these days, it is almost worth reverting to it as a retro game plan, especially as we clearly have the resources to do this now.

There are some great examples in here...

How much would the SAS be worth in today's money????? :) Eee them were' t days!

Always loved watching a winger skin a man or two and put in a cross that is met with a thundering header to bulge the net.  Particularly loved diving headers. Games changed hasn't it.  Remember when defenders or midfielders won the ball and the first thought was storm forwards, now it's stop and pass sideways and back ad nauseum.

Saturday was one of those days.

Crap weather. 

Opposition niggly, tough and extremely well organised and disciplined.

If

Joe Rothwell had hit and not missed the target three times.

Arma had hit it less true and gone either side of the keeper on three occasions

Gallagher had hit an empty net instead of a passing cumulo nimbus

In short despite the frustrating 95 minutes, we were not without chances we could and should have taken. But Cardiff didn't really have much of a look in at the other end despite statistically having the same number of shots and on targets as us. There were very few moments of alarm about them scoring.

Even so, I'd swap Gallagher for Keiffer Moore without a second thought.

23 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

Don't agree. He's a typucal academy player.  Passes it safe, never ever dribbles past defenders, doesnt make late runs off the forwards.  Just safe.  I hope something clicks but look at Dolan 2 years younger....

Theres a couple more at PNE twice the player Buckley is and will be. And they are younger.

You are kidding right?  his pass over the top which has been mentioned where Nyambe and Gally screwed it up because they were not ready.  His ball through to Arma for his goal.  Several others that could never be described as safe.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

Well I guess when Evans, Lenihan, Dack and Travis are fit and if nobody else gets long term injured, we will have no choice but having an impact sub because we will quite easily have 14 players who all belong in the starting XI

And that's without thinking of Buckley becoming an automatic first teamer; or any or all of Davenport, Brennan and Chapman really coming through, a fit Butterworth or who knows what we find bin bagging around Europe or other incoming transfers from financially distressed clubs...

9 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Unless he was injured in that bad challenge just beforehand I wouldn't actually have taken him off.

It's a bit like leaving Armstrong or any player of real quality on, they might not be having their best game but you still feel that if a chance falls to them or you need a moment of inspiration they're still your most likely source.

Again with hindsight, after they went down to 10 Dolan was just the sort of player we needed on the pitch to find a moment of magic as we huffed and puffed.

My thoughts too.  ToMo....well let's take off a winger with skills to make things happen and put on a 6ft lump in his place but not play lump type footy keep him in the wing I just don't get his thinking I don't.

• Like 4

• J*B unpinned this topic