BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers recruitment, scouting and data analysis department

Rovers current recruitment, scouting and data analysis department consist of six members of staff based in Brockhall analysing hours after hours of video footage, that is in addition to three data analysts. Rovers also has on top of that regional scouts that cover games around the UK, plus scouts that operate around Europe scouting players. Bruno Reis overseen the European scouting department and Stuart Harvey overseen the overall department 

So you are looking at around 15 to 20 people working within these departments. So a lot of time setting this structure up, investment and hiring the right people into these roles.

We have had some success in the European transfer market this summer and hopefully this continues next transfer window and beyond..

Edited by chaddyrovers
  • Like 4

Great thread and info Chris....maybe the focus could be around potential targets that the likes of you, Joe and a few others seem to find, watch and analyse?

Be a cracking space to develop and refer back to as we continue to bring players in from Europe....the Norwegian national team left back could / would be our 4th European capture in 12 months. ??

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Great thread and info Chris....maybe the focus could be around potential targets that the likes of you, Joe and a few others seem to find, watch and analyse?

Be a cracking space to develop and refer back to as we continue to bring players in from Europe....the Norwegian national team left back could / would be our 4th European capture in 12 months. ??

? Loving your work, Paul?

• Like 2

10 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Rovers current recruitment, scouting and data analysis department consist of six members of staff based in Brockhall analysing hours after hours of video footage, that is in addition to three data analysts. Rovers also has on top of that regional scouts that cover games around the UK, plus scouts that operate around Europe scouting players. Bruno Reis overseen the European scouting department and Stuart Harvey overseen the overall department 

So you are looking at around 15 to 20 people working within these departments. So a lot of time setting this structure up, investment and hiring the right people into these roles.

We have had some success in the European transfer market this summer and hopefully this continues next transfer window and beyond..

That all may be correct, but I'd like to know how this investment and structure compares to other Championship clubs before hailing it as some sort of masterstroke.

The fact that it has required Mowbray's input over 3 years to get to a stage where we have this network having not had one for years is worrying.

Hopefully we are now catching back up to other clubs but for a club of our size and league we shouldn't have been in that position.

15 minutes ago, JHRover said:

That all may be correct, but I'd like to know how this investment and structure compares to other Championship clubs before hailing it as some sort of masterstroke.

The fact that it has required Mowbray's input over 3 years to get to a stage where we have this network having not had one for years is worrying.

Hopefully we are now catching back up to other clubs but for a club of our size and league we shouldn't have been in that position.

We were state of the art in Sam's days and Sparky before him but the tantric one and Keane destroyed everything pronto.

So we were late adopting the technology and employing the personnel but now I believe we are very much state-of-the-art

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JHRover said:

Mowbray might well have wanting the structure for a couple of years but we needed the owners/club to fund the proper structure, software, staff, space at Brockhall, money for scouting trips. The last 12 months has seen vast improvements in this. 

I would say very little Championship clubs have the recruitment, scouting and data analysis department staff levels we have. Brentford and Barnsley do, maybe Birmingham. But not many others IMO. Do teams like Forest use a scouting structure or agents to bring players in?

That's what happen when managers dismantled the good scouting and recruitment departments. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, philipl said:

We were state of the art in Sam's days and Sparky before him but the tantric one and Keane destroyed everything pronto.

So we were late adopting the technology and employing the personnel but now I believe we are very much state-of-the-art

Great if true. I just worry that without Mowbray there may be a void in which chaos could thrive.

As you say under Allardyce and Hughes we did well at identifying these players and bringing them in. The owners ruined that with their running of the club and fair play Mowbray has worked to address it

I just hope that it isn't contingent upon Mowbray being at the club and hope it will be a permanent fixture regardless of which manager is in the dugout.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Great if true. I just worry that without Mowbray there may be a void in which chaos could thrive.

As you say under Allardyce and Hughes we did well at identifying these players and bringing them in. The owners ruined that with their running of the club and fair play Mowbray has worked to address it

I just hope that it isn't contingent upon Mowbray being at the club and hope it will be a permanent fixture regardless of which manager is in the dugout.

Agree completely with that, the successful clubs even at this level (see Brentford) are the ones with structures in place that are robust to changes in personnel. High turnover is a fact of life in football, exemplified by the fact that TM is almost in the top-10 longest serving managers in the football league. 

One room for optimism is that I seem to remember Mowbray giving an interview about this very point when the idea of a European scouting network first came about. He said that he wanted to leave a legacy which outlasted his stay as manager, and if the academy is anything to go by, Venkys do (currently) seem willing to fund the aspects of the club which are potential money spinners.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

We have had some success in the European transfer market this summer

I'd say we have been active in the European Transfer market.

Whether the system works in identifying affordable talent, and as such has been a success, remains to be seen.

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Yeah our Cat 1 youth set up is going great guns.

However, I was asking about the first team and the statement we have some of the best ‘recruitment, scouting and data analysis’ around.

Agreed. And as Eric Kinder pointed out, our academy recruitment has been very poor in the not so recent past.

6 hours ago, JHRover said:

Underlines the importance of holding on to Mowbray if other clubs come in for him.

18 hours ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

Agree completely with that, the successful clubs even at this level (see Brentford) are the ones with structures in place that are robust to changes in personnel. High turnover is a fact of life in football, exemplified by the fact that TM is almost in the top-10 longest serving managers in the football league. 

One room for optimism is that I seem to remember Mowbray giving an interview about this very point when the idea of a European scouting network first came about. He said that he wanted to leave a legacy which outlasted his stay as manager, and if the academy is anything to go by, Venkys do (currently) seem willing to fund the aspects of the club which are potential money spinners.

That's a major sticking point with the way Vs do things putting all their eggs in one set of peoples basket. The whole interior of the club relies on one person who they let basically stitch it up to suit.  

Works well with the more trustworthy like we have now but fraught with possible awkward consequences that's why there should be a proper board of directors in place independant of the manager and his crew.

Changes are inevitable for a multitude of reasons.

Edited by tomphil

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Bruno Reis isn't in charge of European Scouting but Glyn Chamberlain is has this article says. My apologies 

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/18782360.head-european-scouting-rovers-working-well-tough-climate/

Thats funny, Crook says different recently.  

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.lancs.live/sport/football/football-news/tony-mowbray-transfer-plans-how-18474116.amp

The plot thickens.  To be fair, this Glyn gyys name has just popped up. Whos right?