BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Nottingham Forest Home

I think our biggest problem on Saturday will be Forest being the opposite of expansive. Hughton is a naturally cautious manager and they’re playing against the highest scorers in the league. My guess is they’ll get 11 behind the ball, be as organised as possible and try to nick one....that’s not good for us. We struggle with teams who do that.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

You said 'expansive'. That isn't what 'expansive' means. 

I think pressing in itself is definitely expansive, covering large spaces etc..

2 minutes ago, JoeH said:

I think pressing in itself is definitely expansive, covering large spaces etc..

Argh come on pal, I’m with you on most things. I just think you probably used the wrong word in expansive. “In our face”, “pressing hard” etc is on point...expansive in football terms is when a team opens up on the opposition. Play progressively and often leave spaces in behind because they feel they will score more goals than the the opposition....that’s not what Forest under Hughton will do against free-flowing Rovers! Not imo

1 minute ago, Paul Mani said:

Argh come on pal, I’m with you on most things. I just think you probably used the wrong word in expansive. “In our face”, “pressing hard” etc is on point...expansive in football terms is when a team opens up on the opposition. Play progressively and often leave spaces in behind because they feel they will score more goals than the the opposition....that’s not what Forest under Hughton will do against free-flowing Rovers! Not imo

Expansive refers to space, I think they'll be expansive, and I look forward to proving as such on Saturday at 5pm. They will not sit back, they're DESPERATE for three points.

1 hour ago, Paul Mani said:

My guess is they’ll get 11 behind the ball, be as organised as possible and try to nick one

I think it'll be the opposite, not because of their long term tactical plans, but because they have to bounce back with a bang. Anything but a win and three points isn't enough and they'll be massively up for it. 

2 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

He just seems to be using terms he doesn't understand. He's very argumentative even when he's clearly wrong. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

Expansive relates to attacking football, using the full width of the pitch. You used the wrong term. 

Google the term expansive, it's about space..

24 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

He just seems to be using terms he doesn't understand. He's very argumentative even when he's clearly wrong. 

I haven't been argumentative. Please show me anything argumentative I've said?

Me not agreeing with you doesn't mean I'M being argumentative, it means WE disagree. 

Edited by JoeH

4 minutes ago, JoeH said:

I haven't been argumentative. Please show me anything argumentative I've said?

Me not agreeing with you doesn't mean I'M being argumentative, it means WE disagree. 

I think its the caps mate, comes across as argumentative/patronising 

16 minutes ago, Kie_BRFC said:

I think its the caps mate, comes across as argumentative/patronising 

That was after the fact so a bit of a moot point mate, was told I was being argumentative having not said anything to that effect.

1 hour ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

Tbf to Joe he actually thinks they’ll come and attack us which makes his use of the word ‘expansive’ bang on!

I think going away to the highest scoring team in the league is the stereotypical “must not lose” game. Spend the week drilling them into a shape. Make sure they’re compact and hard working and try to nick one...

I really hope Joe is right. If they come and attack us I think we’ll batter them tbh. Confidence high and lots of space. Fingers crossed

• Like 1

5 hours ago, philipl said:

If Williams is Covid positive.

Did he get it at Rovers???

Will be very nervous about Rovers (and Cardiff and officials) players and staff testing positive before the Forest game.

Fortunately, he has been with the RoI squad just long enough to have caught it on the journey to Ireland.

How many players with Covid do we need to call off a match ? At some point during the season there is going to be at least one club that can't play a significant number of players due to covid or isolating.

12 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

If they come and attack us I think we’ll batter them tbh. Confidence high and lots of space. Fingers crossed

Agreed, I just think as a human being, and not as a tactician, Hughton would be damned if he didn't actually try and win the game. You don't head into your first game at a new club and sit 10 men behind the ball like Cardiff did at Ewood. Forest fans and hierarchy won't like that one bit.

12 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Agreed, I just think as a human being, and not as a tactician, Hughton would be damned if he didn't actually try and win the game. You don't head into your first game at a new club and sit 10 men behind the ball like Cardiff did at Ewood. Forest fans and hierarchy won't like that one bit.

It's his first game. The board aren't going to be sharpening their knives if they don't play like Barcelona. He'll come to Ewood to avoid defeat. He won't care how he does it, and neither will Forest fans watching on iFollow. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

It's his first game. The board aren't going to be sharpening their knives if they don't play like Barcelona. He'll come to Ewood to avoid defeat. He won't care how he does it, and neither will Forest fans watching on iFollow. 

That's exactly how I think the game will pan out.

They will probably nick it on a set piece with there new manager bounce, wouldn't surprise me at all in this league.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

His teams have always been well organised. It will be tough if he's been able to quickly whip them into shape. 

I remember when Big Sam took over from Ince.

Think he only had two or three days before our next game.  The transformation was quite remarkable in such a short space of time and we beat Stoke two or three nil !

If Hughton has had a fortnight at it then expect a huge difference.

Will be a tough, tough game.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Trying to win a game doesnt have to involve playing a high pressing game and "going for it," and inheriting a team on the back of 4 losses, I suspect that Hughton quite sensibly will not be too gung ho and "expansive" with his style, he is certainly too wily to do so purely to try and satisfy the whims of a fan base that wont even be there!

Edited by roversfan99
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Trying to win a game doesnt have to involve playing a high pressing game and "going for it," and inheriting a team on the back of 4 losses, I suspect that Hughton quite sensibly will not be too gung ho and "expansive" with his style, he is certainly too wily to do so purely to try and satisfy the whims of a fan base that wont even be there!

I suspect differently but we'll see on Saturday. I hope he goes for it and they pile bodies forward, we're poor against defensive sides with actual structure.

Chris Hughton's first game as PL Brighton manager was a 2-0 FA Cup win at League 1 Brentford
Hughton's first league game in charge of the Canaries was against Fulham in the Championship, where Norwich lost 5–0
First game for Brum was a Championship 2-1 defeat at Derby
First game for Newcastle was a Championship 1-1 draw at WBA
His record of getting good results in his second game in charge is ominously good - we will give him that!
Edited by philipl
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Of course Hughton will try to win the game. That doesn't mean he will send his team out gung ho like headless chickens to try and outscore us. He will have a plan of how to deal with our threats and keep a clean sheet knowing if that works then at the very least they are getting into good habits in defence and have stopped the rot and if they nick one up the other end then they're up and running for the season.

He's a clever manager and will adapt his approach to teams depending on being home, away, and who they are playing. Start with the basics - stop the rot, stop conceding goals and go from there. All the best managers do that.

Being cautious and focusing on not conceding doesn't mean he won't try and win the game. His employers won't give a stuff if it moves them up the table. Lamouchi was as dull as they come but he had them chasing promotion all last season so they were happy with it.

34 minutes ago, Prelude said:

If Darragh and Del both our Ayala and Nyambe centre backs and JRC on the right?

Slightly worrying that our squad could be looking a little thin already.

Ayala - only one match under his belt

Nyambe - Not really a CB

JRC - very inexperienced

And with Bell at LB ? - Not ideal really. 

With Lenihan being injury prone and picking up bookings regularly, I think Del looks like a vital player this season - this doesn't reduce the worrying! 

• Like 1