BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Nottingham Forest Home

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

How is playing Rankin Costello at right back out of position? 

Because he is a winger, he has said himself that playing at full back is not for him full time and Mowbray sees him as an attacking player too:

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/18576200.what-cant----mowbray-tips-youngster-bright-future/

But reiterating Rankin-Costello will be seen long-term as an attacking player, he said: “He’s got a big future in whatever position. If I was to pigeon-hole him after watching him for the last three years he’s probably most dynamic coming in off the left in a 4-2-3-1."

Besides, Nyambe cant play effectively at CB either.

3 minutes ago, JoeH said:

One would get a fee on the market and the other has more years to develop.

Would he? Presumably the only interest would come from League 1 and the clubs dont have a pot to piss in at the moment there.

You speak about Wharton as if his developing is over and he has not made it at a point whereby we wont get any better from here on in. He is only 23, very young for a centre back and now has some real good experience under his belt. As it stands, surely he should be our fourth choice centre back.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Because he is a winger, he has said himself that playing at full back is not for him full time

Besides, Nyambe cant play effectively at CB either.

Yet he played full back in 3 games this season and we won every game he played there. 

Never mention in Nyambe in my previous post so no idea why you posted about it. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Yet he played full back in 3 games this season and we won every game he played there. 

Never mention in Nyambe in my previous post so no idea why you posted about it. 

The player and manager have said they see his long term future playing further up the field.

He has done well when played at full back but he doesn't see or want his future as a permanent full back .

2 hours ago, Ewood Ace said:

Wharton is only a year old than Magloire and has a significantly more impressive CV.

I believe Wharton’s best served getting himself a permanent move to a League One club, for him and his career alone. Just my opinion.

2 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

No need to over complicate imo....IF Lenihan and Williams are out then just play Ayala and Wharton. Not sure if Wharton is good enough but he’s earned his chance.

wharton is a good header of a ball and strong in the tackle,id`e sooner have him in side over magloire,who frankly can`t head a football and can`t tackle,whether wharton is good enough we`ll never know until he gets a run of games,phil jones was thrown in at the deep and he did`nt turn out to badly for us

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

And what level would you sell Magloire to League 2 or National League? 

I wouldn’t sell Magloire, he’s not really a saleable asset. A much better option for fourth choice as he offers something a little different to any of the other centre backs at the club and isn’t wasting high market value on the reserves

13 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

magloire, who frankly can`t head a football and can`t tackle. 

I simply can’t comprehend how anyone could come to this conclusion. He was more than competent against Premier League Leicester, won headers and some great defensive actions.

”Magloire Can’t Tackle” is completely unfounded.

Edited by JoeH

Just now, JoeH said:

I wouldn’t sell Magloire, he’s not really a saleable asset. A much better option for fourth choice as he offers something a little different to any of the other centre backs at the club and isn’t wasting high market value on the reserves

But Wharton is far more likely to be able to make an impact on the first both now and in the long term. He is 23 and has played over 100 competitive games, Magloire is a year younger and has not even managed to get into double figures for appearances. Also let's face it neither player is going to fetch much of a fee in the transfer market, so we'd just as well have the better player as an option.

1 minute ago, JoeH said:

I simply can’t comprehend how anyone could come to this conclusion. He was more than competent against Premier League Leicester, won headers and some great defensive actions.

Let's not get to carried away it was a pre season friendly against a very weak Leicester team.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

Let's not get to carried away it was a pre season friendly against a very weak Leicester team.

Exactly, let's not get carried away, like saying "Player X can't tackle" with absolutely no evidence whatsoever to back it up. Players don't reach this level without the ability to tackle.

5 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

Also let's face it neither player is going to fetch much of a fee in the transfer market, so we'd just as well have the better player as an option.

I think we'd easily have been able to get £400,000 for Scott Wharton if we'd have sold him to Northampton permanently early enough after their promotion. Won't get anything now in the current climate but it was doable. For the lad on a personal level, he needs a permanent move away from our club - it hasn't happened and with Lenihan, Ayala and Williams around he's not even going to be a bit part player this season.

Just now, JoeH said:

it hasn't happened and with Lenihan, Ayala and Williams around he's not even going to be a bit part player this season.

With the fitness record of those 3 I'd say he has every chance of getting a decent bit of game time.

1 minute ago, JoeH said:

I think we'd easily have been able to get £400,000 for Scott Wharton if we'd have sold him to Northampton permanently early enough after their promotion. Won't get anything now in the current climate but it was doable. 

£400k blimey I'll have some of what your having. Northampton have never spent 200K on a player in their history never mind 400K and then you have to consider that we are in the middle of a pandemic and they haven't had crowds since February. It's fantasy lad to say that we would have easily been able to get 400K out of Northampton.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, JoeH said:

when he first broke into the 1st team he did ok against wigan despite winning nothing in the air,after that he was badly exposed away against sheff wed,it`s plain to see he can`t head a football and is weak in the tackle,in competetive games there is no point masking over the fact,he`ll be exposed badly again,at least wharton has 3 seasons of football against nasty centre forwards in the lower leagues,there will be no pushing him around,he might be exposed against quicker players,we`ll just have to see

• Like 2

That friendly v Leicester is becoming his Brett Emerton v Wolves moment, although for Brett's sake at least that was a competitive game!

We wouldnt get anything other than a nominal fee at best for Wharton and its not as if hes hit his peak, nor has he been stagnating playing kids football. Id trust him far more than Magloire or Carter if we needed one of them which we may as soon as at the weekend.

7 hours ago, JoeH said:

Although Magloire did win 5 headers in the pre-season game you claimed he hadn’t won one ? I think a pairing of Magloire’s pace and power with the experience and aerial ability of Ayala would be more effective than two very slow Centre Backs in Ayala and Wharton

I prefer the term no nonsense CBs. Wharton is a far better defender than magloire. If it wasn’t for his speed no one would be suggesting him anymore than carter. Wharton is a better defender with far more experience so it’s Scott all day long for me

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JoeH said:

He can tackle he just isn’t a great header. Wharton is very good aerially and better in the tackle he just isn’t as quick . That is literally the only asset he is better than Wharton in

Edited by Oldgregg86

2 hours ago, JoeH said:

He went on loan at the beginning of last season, for the season to bottom of the league 1 rochdale, played twice and was sent back early.  

No thanks 

• Like 2

I am a simple soul.

In a squad of 25, you carry 5 capable central defenders. For me that is 1) Ayala,  2) Lenihan,  3) Williams,  4) Wharton,  5) Magliore (ahead of Carter because Carter sadly is beaten in a foot race by 99% of Championship players).

If 2 and 3 on your list are out, you play 1 and 4 and put 5 on the bench.

I am still asking two questions, has Lenihan not recovered because I understood he was expected to be fit for Forest?

Is Williams covid positive? If he is, where did he get it,?

9 hours ago, Oldgregg86 said:

I prefer the term no nonsense CBs. Wharton is a far better defender than magloire. If it wasn’t for his speed no one would be suggesting him anymore than carter. Wharton is a better defender with far more experience so it’s Scott all day long for me

For me a pairing of Ayala and Wharton would be exposed with any kind of pace from the opposition.

Lenihan is more mobile, Williams is more mobile, Magloire is of course the most mobile in terms of pace for recovering in behind.

The discussion is about who plays if both DL and DW are out, and for me as easy as it is to just say okay, 3rd choice and 4th choice play, I think you have to consider how those two would play together as a pairing.

25 minutes ago, JoeH said:

For me a pairing of Ayala and Wharton would be exposed with any kind of pace from the opposition.

Lenihan is more mobile, Williams is more mobile, Magloire is of course the most mobile in terms of pace for recovering in behind.

The discussion is about who plays if both DL and DW are out, and for me as easy as it is to just say okay, 3rd choice and 4th choice play, I think you have to consider how those two would play together as a pairing.

I think the full backs could make up for the lack of pace I don’t think lack of ability can be countered. Ideally Ayala plays with del or Lenihan that’s obvious. This is the case of a worst of two evils and until both are tried properly we will never truly know but out the two Wharton deserves his chance more. He has never let us down when he played in cup games against lower opposition and as far as I’m aware has done really well on loan. Contrast that with magloire who had a good debut and struggled at Sheffield Wednesday and bombed at Rochdale (not sure how much of that was down to injury as he had been out a while) then it has to be scott

If we've now got a more commanding aerial  presence in Ayala we could always play Nyambe in central defence. I can't think of a quicker centre half at our level apart from maybe Magloire. He's got pace and he can tackle etc, it's just his lack of heading ability that goes against him.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, philipl said:

Is Williams covid positive? If he is, where did he get it,?

I can't see any confirmation yet but this is on the BBC website: -

Another Republic player missed Sunday's draw with Wales after a positive test.

Four other squad members - John Egan, Callum Robinson, Callum O'Dowda and Alan Browne - who were close contacts, also missed the Nations League game at the Aviva Stadium.

As I understand it there were 5 players altogether - one positive and 4 who had close contact. So if Williams was one of the five I presume he is the positive one.