BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Project "Big Picture"

1 hour ago, S8 & Blue said:

For me, the worst thing about this PPV proposal isn’t just the price point 

Easy to justify £15 per game in terms of market value/cost of physical tickets etc

But it’s the lack of any foresight or vision to create a true on-demand subscription service for fans of individual football clubs. There’s so many untapped millions of illegal streamers that could’ve been tempted by a solid, future-proofed proposition.

Netflix has proved that a gargantuan film industry can survive and thrive by taking  just a little bit of money monthly from a truly ginormous amount of people.

Now was the time to be brave, and to make PL football affordable for the millions...

It’s just myopic, protectionist greed.

Interesting debate point and not one I agree with but...

What would a £7.99 per month subscription model look like that showed every PL game and repeats of full matches and highlights? Would it be a huge global money spinner? Or would it pay clubs the kind of pittance, relatively speaking, that Spotify pays artists? The PL is worth more that Netflix I’d suggest?

At that price point it would be very tempting - even though I’ve lost my appetite for non-Rovers games.

I would certainly pay £7.99 a month for every Rovers game - even when I’m allowed back to buy a normal season ticket - as I’d watch away games but would it attract enough Rovers fans and provide enough value to the club? Would the usual rules apply that prevent global audiences due to copyright rules in different countries? Right now clubs know their own fans will pay £10 but do we know the viewing figures?

2 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Right now clubs know their own fans will pay £10 but do we know the viewing figures?

Have you bought Ifollow per game or season ticket Stuart?.

I havent. Dont want to watch streaming coverage of Rovers game and delayed coverage of 1 minute plus to it. 

More than happy to buy season ticket and the price when we can re enter stadiums again. 

• Backroom

The playoff format seems very unfair as well 

A championship team reaching the final would have played 48 league games compared to 38 teams for the premier league team! 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Clubs arent happy about no fans in Grounds. Sky and BT want fans back. Players want fans back. 

Well Stuart that's your opinion. I think cancelling Sky Sports for any big football and sports fan would be crazy. Plus Sky allow you to paused your Sky Sports contract for 3 months as they werent any live sport to watch. What more do you want?

What neutral fan is going to pay £15 per game to watch one game? Just watch Match of the Day later at night. 

Have you bought Season ticket or watching Rovers on Ifollow per game?

You think cancelling Sky Sports is crazy? Sky Sports allowed me to pause while there was zero live sport being shown worldwide. How very decent of them. Aren’t you the bloke who said they’d pay £100 for a match ticket if that was the price?

Given the restrictions, the nose-thumbing price hike and not even being able to go, no, I haven’t renewed. My renewal very much depends on what Waggott does next. Some things are about more than money.

I’m glad to hear that your job worries haven’t meant you have had to stop forking out all that money to Sky. Long may you continue to have that choice.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

No your point doesnt stand about Murdoch as he doesnt owned Sky anymore. 

£250 per year for all that sport coverage.and able to watch it all. If you feel that is being ripped off and exploited, God knows what planet you are on. Watch 128 PL games, EFL games, every England cricket game, golf coverage of 2 tours if I want to watch them regular, 4 or 5 live NBA games a week. Value for money me and a bargain. 

SOMEONE still owns it and creams the money off the top when modern tech and consumer habits just don’t justify it.

I don’t really care if you’re happy with what you get for what you pay, I’m calling for a £10-15 p/m service where you’ll get it all.

You love and defend the status quo so much pal I reckon you’ve got a Rick Parfitt tattoo.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

If the EFL clubs receive 25% of PL TV revenues as the proposal stands won't that provide a significant degree of finance to preserve EFL clubs ?

Until the minute the PL clubs decide they don't want to pay the 25% anymore - then what happens ?

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

It is, as someone else suggested an attempt by the big clubs to get what they always wanted under the smokescreen of the Coronavirus pandemic.

Utterly shameless. This wouldn't be the end of it. They have further schemes in hand, hence the attempt to rig voting.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Given the restrictions, the nose-thumbing price hike and not even being able to go, no, I haven’t renewed. My renewal very much depends on what Waggott does next. Some things are about more than money.

I’m glad to hear that your job worries haven’t meant you have had to stop forking out all that money to Sky. Long may you continue to have that choice.

I cant blame you for not renewing your season ticket as you cant attend the games live in stadiums. 

Job worries? I was never worried Stuart. Even before my 1st redundant meeting I was having interview and got a job offer before my final redundant meeting. 

Having Sky, Netflix and Amazon is great viewing and plenty of viewing and choices of viewing. 

3 minutes ago, S8 & Blue said:

SOMEONE still owns it and creams the money off the top when modern tech and consumer habits just don’t justify it.

I don’t really care if you’re happy with what you get for what you pay, I’m calling for a £10-15 p/m service where you’ll get it all.

You love and defend the status quo so much pal I reckon you’ve got a Rick Parfitt tattoo.

No tattoos on me. 

We dont need a £10-15 per month service at all. Just leave it as it is. Cos fans will be back in stadiums within the next 6-12 months. 

57 minutes ago, S8 & Blue said:

Sure it is for a lot of people yeah, but you only get to see the games they decide. Again, it’s not really about that but the scope and direction.

I just don’t understand the logic of giving Murdoch a massive chunk of the cash and control.

It’s far from the main issue here but Sky hasn’t been owned by Murdoch for a while.

Just now, Herbie6590 said:

It’s far from the main issue here but Sky hasn’t been owned by Murdoch for a while.

Aye yeah acknowledged earlier.

Read “Murdoch” as a proxy for “media conglomerate that is fast becoming a completely redundant leech”

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Herbie6590 said:

..until the 6 decide to change the % in a couple of years time...

Current arrangements can be changed. As I said above, if you haven't already done so then go on to The Guardian website and read David Conn's article on there for a well balanced analysis of the proposal . Ultimately so much of the income in English football comes from Premier League TV rights; that the PL might be moving towards recognition that the greater good is served by spreading more of that income through the football pyramid is a promising starting point.

7 hours ago, Miller11 said:

The best scenario would be for these “big 6” to piss off and form a super league with the other “giants” throughout Europe. Make their own league, cut their own deals, have their own governing body, mess about with their own rule changes, make it practically a different sport if they want. Whatever.

Scrap the premier league, return to a 4 division football league, regulate it properly and share monies more equally.

I can but dream.

I cannot believe this isn't a more wide spread opinion. Even the more skilled and sensible football pundits tend to wring their hands whenever it comes up. What's there to hesitate about? Who would miss playing those awful excuses for football clubs?

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Commondore said:

I cannot believe this isn't a more wide spread opinion. Even the more skilled and sensible football pundits tend to wring their hands whenever it comes up. What's there to hesitate about? Who would miss playing those awful excuses for football clubs?

Given that, when we were in the Premier League they used to be the home games with the biggest crowds , we would.

12 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

Current arrangements can be changed. As I said above, if you haven't already done so then go on to The Guardian website and read David Conn's article on there for a well balanced analysis of the proposal . Ultimately so much of the income in English football comes from Premier League TV rights; that the PL might be moving towards recognition that the greater good is served by spreading more of that income through the football pyramid is a promising starting point.

I have read it...experience tells me that appeasing the “Big Clubs” never ends....it’s death of a thousand cuts. Since the abolition of the maximum wage, every change in English football has concentrated power & money into the hands of fewer clubs.

When will they be satisfied ? Answer...never....there’s always more money to squeeze from the game. 

There should be a 'Project GTFO' to structure a league without the 'big 6' that excludes all their players from UEFA and FIFA tournaments, the league and so on. Call their bluff, expel them. Instead of seeing them as big scary economic giants, see them as 6 bullies facing off against an entire nation of sport. If need be, cancel relegation from the premier League as well. It'll be hard in the short term, but if all the club's co-ordinate with UEFA and FIFA they can defeat them.

It'll never happen though, as there is too much corruption and short term self interest involved.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, Herbie6590 said:

I have read it...experience tells me that appeasing the “Big Clubs” never ends....it’s death of a thousand cuts. Since the abolition of the maximum wage, every change in English football has concentrated power & money into the hands of fewer clubs.

When will they be satisfied ? Answer...never....there’s always more money to squeeze from the game. 

They aren't football clubs anymore they are corporations and that's where any squeeze should be applied.  Sadly a lot of the games power brokers - mainly media & corporate - support these clubs or have fingers in their pies.

Sickening but they'll only ever get more and more power and money fed in no small part by their legions of plastic and armchair fans. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, 47er said:

It is, as someone else suggested an attempt by the big clubs to get what they always wanted under the smokescreen of the Coronavirus pandemic.

Utterly shameless. This wouldn't be the end of it. They have further schemes in hand, hence the attempt to rig voting.

Agree. No wonder I hate the big clubs. 

It's an attempt to ensure those on top remain that way forever. If it goes ahead, which at some point I think it will, I really hope it crashes and burns. Destroying what skewed competition remains would put me off football I think. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Miller11 said:

The best scenario would be for these “big 6” to piss off and form a super league with the other “giants” throughout Europe. Make their own league, cut their own deals, have their own governing body, mess about with their own rule changes, make it practically a different sport if they want. Whatever.

Scrap the premier league, return to a 4 division football league, regulate it properly and share monies more equally.

I can but dream.

Excellent post. 

And then I hope America gets a hold of it, uses.their extra financial muscle and makes them the paupers. That would be a dose of their own medicine. 

• Like 1

Is a attempt by the American owners of 2 big clubs to take even more money and power for themselves.

Its not in the tradition of the English game because they are not English and have no interest in our 150 year old traditions.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

Agree. No wonder I hate the big clubs. 

It's an attempt to ensure those on top remain that way forever. If it goes ahead, which at some point I think it will, I really hope it crashes and burns. Destroying what skewed competition remains would put me off football I think. 

I'm already off it. Used to watch every game on tele that I could get my hands on. Now watch highlights  of Premier League but not always even them. Rarely watch England except in World Cup.

Sole interest is Rovers really.

• Like 1