BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Project "Big Picture"

14 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

Could get really really ugly. I just can't see those clubs accepting second class citizen status. I can't really see what's in it for the club's outside the top six and those clubs who don't get parachute payments in the EFL.

This sort of thing was always the risk when the EFL had to go cap in hand to the PL for a bail out. You make a deal with the devil and...... etc etc

I can't believe they've actually got the cheek to include 3  other Clubs as a token gesture then stipulate that "the big 6" can outvote those 3! Surely the other 3 wouldn't be dumb enough to go for that.

More front than Woolworths as they used to say. One for the teenagers there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

Giving him the benefit of the doubt (for 10 seconds) maybe he was just leaving the door open, giving a qualified acceptance in the expectation of challenging the "poisonous" aspects lol. Anyway, what would be the loss to PNE? There are die-hard Knobend OAP's, who have never seen their team in the English top-flight!

Could be angling for a new job with the Septic shower

2 hours ago, JHRover said:

I see Bolton are broadly in favour of the proposals.

Not long ago their Chairman was advocating a closed shop with them protected from relegation. Now they're in the 4th division they are supporting similar from the opposite end of the stick desperate for hand outs from the glorious self appointed leaders.

Gartside died a few years ago. He was the one spouting for a 2 tier no relegation Premier League, including Bolton of course. Irony still exists.

1 hour ago, joey_big_nose said:

Thinking about it actually maybe the big six have thought it through and see it as a way to drive through them leaving and forming a Euro super League? If everyone throws their toys out it opens up their ability to do that.

"Well we tried to work with you but you have given us no choice" etc

Sure Barca, Madrid, PSG, Inter, Juventus, Milan etc are up for it.

There has been talk of a European super league for decades. I don't think that it will ever happen. The Champs League is close, and the revenue generated from it suits those involved.

16 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

One of the major points about this which people seem to be overlooking is the proposal that Clubs can broadcast their own games on their own digital media platforms.

The "big" Clubs have been after some form of this forever and to date it has been resisted by the PL to try and maintain an element of competition. I know a lot of people don't like the PL anyway but I think the beauty of it such as it is and the reason it is so popular across the world is that in the past revenue has been distributed on a collective basis. This has meant that whilst in the past the cream will rise to the top over any given season, on any given matchday, a Palace or a Southampton has every chance of giving a Chelsea, Arsenal Spurs or United a good game and even  turning them over.

This simply doesn't happen across most of the major European Leagues and thumpings of 4 to 7 nil are relatively commonplace. If the collective approach is allowed to fall by the wayside then the PL will become like a slightly bigger version of the top flight in Scotland whereby instead of Rangers and Celtic massacring everyone every week it'll be four or five sides massacring nearly everyone and only getting a competitive game between themselves or a couple of sides just outside the top bracket.

That's no doubt what the top Clubs want to keep them fresher for Europe but it should be resisted for as long as possible.

I noticed it and it should be a non-starter. Along with the voting changes, and the playoff format changes. Although the CL clubs will always have a much larger revenue the relatively even distribution of TV money keeps it somewhat straight. Grealish would not have signed a new Villa contract without it. 

Very disappointed to see on Sky at teatime that all 24 League One Clubs seem to be behind the plan. They must be putting short term ism first and the Fleetwood Chairman was on saying without support from somewhere 8-10 League one Clubs will go into administration by Christmas.

I suppose if you have no aspirations whatsoever of ever getting into the Premier League then the initial offer of funding must seem very tempting. That said I'm surprised the bigger Clubs like Sunderland, Ipswich and  Hull would be in favour.

It was however far more reassuring to hear that combined fan groups from "the big 6" had drafted a letter saying despite the fact it was their Clubs that  were reportedly behind the idea they were dead against it. Another general fans' federation were even more scathing saying that under the proposals half the PL Clubs would have no say in the running of their own League and correctly pointing out that once "the big 6" get their voting rights there's no guarantee at all they won't cut funding off to the EFL completely.

The majority of the PL Clubs not in the "big 6" apparently also believe that Parry has overstepped his authority and want him to resign. So there is hope and common sense may prevail.

For now.

• Like 6

39 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Very disappointed to see on Sky at teatime that all 24 League One Clubs seem to be behind the plan. They must be putting short term ism first and the Fleetwood Chairman was on saying without support from somewhere 8-10 League one Clubs will go into administration by Christmas.

I suppose if you have no aspirations whatsoever of ever getting into the Premier League then the initial offer of funding must seem very tempting. That said I'm surprised the bigger Clubs like Sunderland, Ipswich and  Hull would be in favour.

It was however far more reassuring to hear that combined fan groups from "the big 6" had drafted a letter saying despite the fact it was their Clubs that  were reportedly behind the idea they were dead against it. Another general fans' federation were even more scathing saying that under the proposals half the PL Clubs would have no say in the running of their own League and correctly pointing out that once "the big 6" get their voting rights there's no guarantee at all they won't cut funding off to the EFL completely.

The majority of the PL Clubs not in the "big 6" apparently also believe that Parry has overstepped his authority and want him to resign. So there is hope and common sense may prevail.

For now.

Thanks Rev, that was very informative. I think Parry should resign, aye, it's a disgusting opportunist power grab. The funding is needed and the Prem can afford it, but all these conditions attached for it are vile, every single one that I've heard.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

I think it’s less about lacking ambition and more about being desperate for cash. 

The cash shouldn't be contingent upon crap like this. I'm sure with ambitious campaigning, some solidarity can be given without selling the game's soul once and for all.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

I think it’s less about lacking ambition and more about being desperate for cash. 

It would almos serve them right if it went ahead in its current form and then the big 6 subsequently withdrew funding altogether after this year though.

• Like 1

Of course it’s about being desperate for cash. Most EFL clubs are unlikely to survive if this crisis continues much longer. 

Putting Premier League politics to one side, if it means that EFL clubs get a much larger slice of the financial cake then surely that should be welcomed. The question to be asked is what will need to be given up? Loss of the Carabao Cup? Not sure how much income that brings in but it’s obviously not a priority for a lot of clubs. Loss of the Community Shield? Who really cares? 

The biggie is the tinkering with Championship promotion places. If it means less chance of getting into the Premier League then obviously that’s a concern. But also a concern would be putting some sort of financial constraint on clubs linked to income. Rovers would have a problem there. 

• Like 1

Most L1 and L2 clubs have no real ambition to be in the Premier League, so power grabs and politics up there means bugger all to them as it’s a different planet already.

Not going to the wall in the next 6 months is their priority, so of course they’ll be all for it - which makes the opportunism so brazen.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Uddersfelt Blue said:

Of course it’s about being desperate for cash. Most EFL clubs are unlikely to survive if this crisis continues much longer. 

Putting Premier League politics to one side, if it means that EFL clubs get a much larger slice of the financial cake then surely that should be welcomed. The question to be asked is what will need to be given up? Loss of the Carabao Cup? Not sure how much income that brings in but it’s obviously not a priority for a lot of clubs. Loss of the Community Shield? Who really cares? 

The biggie is the tinkering with Championship promotion places. If it means less chance of getting into the Premier League then obviously that’s a concern. But also a concern would be putting some sort of financial constraint on clubs linked to income. Rovers would have a problem there. 

The biggy is the voting rights. Once handed over they are gone forever. The EFL clubs will forever be doffing their caps to the Lord of the manor hoping for crumbs from the table. 

10 hours ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Surely if EFL is dying due to expense the way forward is to start looking at budget caps relative to each league? That way you keep the game competitive without the need to go begging?

Edited by joey_big_nose

13 minutes ago, Herbie6590 said:

The biggy is the voting rights. Once handed over they are gone forever. The EFL clubs will forever be doffing their caps to the Lord of the manor hoping for crumbs from the table. 

Agreed. 

That has not to be compromised on.

If this had been proposed in 1995, Rovers would have got outsized voting rights and Chelsea and City were potential relegation candidates.

The rest of the proposals are negotiable.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

Surely if EFL is during  due to expense the way forward is to start looking at budget caps teaktive to each league? That way you keep the game competitive without the need to go begging?

Wage caps already exist in Leagues 1 and 2.

That is why no more Rovers players are going out on loan.

There’s absolutely no reason for any of the clubs to vote away their future right to eat at the big table. “Turkeys voting for Christmas” comes to mind. It’s an opportunist power grab by the upper echelons of the game, who make no mistake about it have ambitions beyond a meagre “English game”. They see themselves as Worldwide brands and are looking at using crisis capitalism to accelerate that. 

If this gets passed through I’ll be done with professional football. Sadly I don’t think it will matter much, but the best each of us can do is start to support our non-league friends and put our money where our mouth is. 

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, Herbie6590 said:

And the right to veto any takeover is just bizarre and tells me exactly what their intention is. The will grudgingly accept another six clubs into their clique but heaven forbid a potential takeover of Sheik Mansoor proportions is lined up - they will just block it. They are using the effects of a global pandemic to effectively bribe other less fortunate clubs.

Shame on them.

• Like 8