BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Goalkeeping Dept

Moved from the Transfer thread, cos probably worth its own space

I think the revamp of the goalkeeping department is really interesting. It's important to look at the ages of the players. 

Kaminski 27. Pears 22. Stergiakis and Hilton 21. Eastham 19.

Had Pears been brought in before Stergiakis, I'm not sure you'd be questioning [from original post in transfer thread] either signing, because we'd all have assumed Pears was automatic 2nd choice to Kaminski and then the Greek lad was just a cheap low risk punt for some time in the future.

Now suddenly there's a clear No1 who is 5 years older than any of the other keepers, but the battle to be No2 is going to be intense. 

Compared to the goalkeeping department last season, it's a revolution. Out go Flappy Walton and an ageing Canadian, and also Fisher who made some dreadful errors in preseason. 

In have come a clear No1, and a couple of potential No2s who will have to scrap like mad to prove themselves better than the other. Which in turn will keep Kaminski on his toes.

Hilton and Eastham will be galvanised to perform to the very best of their abilities - it's suddenly career make or break rather than I'm next in the queue.

Nothing not to like. 

• Like 9

Liked this in the transfer thread.

No secret it's a subject close to my heart, & yeah, it's looking good. The weak links have been removed. 

Having Fisher as No1 should TK get injured was the stuff of nightmares. 

I used to panic when Terry Gennoe was out and Vince O'Keefe had to cover- he'd be like Gordon Banks compared to some of our recent keepers.

And yes, I was at Wembley in '87 & yes, he did have a superb game, before anyone says!

Edited by windymiller7
Spelling whilst drunk before AOA spots it!?
  • Like 7

Think the Crux of this is whether these keepers improve over time. Other than the development of Raya I don't see any improvement in the keepers we have had over the last ten years. Jake Kean Jason Steele the Canadian. Robinson in decline it's a pretty sorry list.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, windymiller7 said:

Liked this in the transfer thread.

No secret it's a subject close to my heart, & yeah, it's looking good. The weak links have been removed. 

Having Fisher as No1 should TK get injured was the stuff of nightmares. 

I used to panic when Terry Gennoe was out and Vince O'Keefe had to cover- he'd be like Gordon Banks compared to some of our recent keepers.

And yes, I was at Wembley in '87 & yes, he did have a superb game, before anyone says!

I concur windy. I also go back to similar nightmares when John Barton was deputy to 'Sir Roger' and Adam Blacklaw before him. I was only a kid then but remember thinking on one such occasion stood on the Darwen End, when Barton threw his flat cap into the back of the goal as the players lined up and tucked his shirt into his shorts over his belly, "he looks like he's just come out of the pub"!

We're certainly better equipped these days!

• Like 1