BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Watford v Rovers Wed 21st Oct 7.45pm

For me, Evans and Buckley should not be starting this game. I would start the below:

Kaminski

Nyambe Ayala Lenihan Bell

Holtby Johnson Trybull

Dolan Brereton Armstrong

I can see Mowbray throwing Gallagher in the side - probably instead of Dolan but I think he still deserves to start after Mowbray shafting him tactically in the last game with the long ball. Would also like to see BB up top with Armstrong outwide.

20 minutes ago, Ruaney said:

For me, Evans and Buckley should not be starting this game. I would start the below:

Kaminski

Nyambe Ayala Lenihan Bell

Holtby Johnson Trybull

Dolan Brereton Armstrong

I can see Mowbray throwing Gallagher in the side - probably instead of Dolan but I think he still deserves to start after Mowbray shafting him tactically in the last game with the long ball. Would also like to see BB up top with Armstrong outwide.

Brereton up top?!? Have people learnt nothing.

He's not a goalscorer, he can't hold it up or anything?

• Like 4

Just now, RoversClitheroe said:

Brereton up top?!? Have people learnt nothing.

He's not a goalscorer, he can't hold it up or anything?

His hold up play has improved a lot since March. And I wouldn't know if he's a goalscorer or not because he hasn't played up top from the start of a game? We bought him as a striker, best see if he can do it. Deserves a chance to play there at least.

• Like 3

He played central v Newcastle, anytime the ball was coming into the attacking third, he was stood outside the penalty box, never with any intention of getting into the box. He has absolutely no instinct to get into the box or to anticipate goalscoring chances.

I also think that it is a little unfair to blame Mowbray for "shafting" Dolan. He had a bright start but was totally ineffective in the last couple of games, couldnt get involved and tried one or two tricks in counter productive areas. He is a kid who has only just started playing first team football, perhaps we got a bit carried away early on, he is still clearly a promising talent but its understandable that at the moment such a raw and untested kid is struggling to impact games and may need taking out the firing line and putting on the bench.

Edited by roversfan99
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, WacoRover said:

I think it’s a bit premature for dire predictions. 
Watford is a top side, anyway, we already knew that. We got everything we said we needed, and none of them have even played yet.

If these last four additions don’t help, I will be right with some of you, asking for bigger changes, but let’s wait and see if they make a difference... at least until Boxing Day. That’s only two months and some change. We can wait that long to demand heads roll. 

Fair enough. 

Thing is though, if we can’t go to places like Watford with confidence and be able to match them yard for yard, what was the point of bringing in all these transfer window signings at what would be a considerable cost? It’s Watford, not Liverpool or City.

Mowbray has been backed and he should expect a bit of pressure, as a manager, to field a team that can push for top 6.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

He played central v Newcastle, anytime the ball was coming into the attacking third, he was stood outside the penalty box, never with any intention of getting into the box. He has absolutely no instinct to get into the box or to anticipate goalscoring chances.

I also think that it is a little unfair to blame Mowbray for "shafting" Dolan. He had a bright start but was totally ineffective in the last couple of games, couldnt get involved and tried one or two tricks in counter productive areas. He is a kid who has only just started playing first team football, perhaps we got a bit carried away early on, he is still clearly a promising talent but its understandable that at the moment such a raw and untested kid is struggling to impact games and may need taking out the firing line and putting on the bench.

I'm willing to give him more than a game against a Premier League side to see if he 'has it'. He has to have it otherwise he's a failure and a waste but he's not had a real chance to prove it being played out of position all the time.

I was being facetious about Mowbray. However, Dolan is hardly going to shine against Forest when he had the ball hoofed forwards most of the game because we had Buckley, Evans and Johnson having a bad game behind him. 

9 minutes ago, Ruaney said:

I'm willing to give him more than a game against a Premier League side to see if he 'has it'. He has to have it otherwise he's a failure and a waste but he's not had a real chance to prove it being played out of position all the time.

I was being facetious about Mowbray. However, Dolan is hardly going to shine against Forest when he had the ball hoofed forwards most of the game because we had Buckley, Evans and Johnson having a bad game behind him. 

The Newcastle game wasnt an example of him proving that he doesnt have it, I was just using it as an example of his infuriating tendency to not show any urgency to get into the box, he does it regardless of whether he is up front or wide. If a player is coming into the final third or out wide, you will often see Brereton 5 yards away just asking for the ball to feet.

I am not convinced that he is best as a central striker just because I dont ever think that he will become a semi regular goalscorer. His slight improvement has coincided with playing wide in a front 3, although as much as I have been desperate for him to kick on, that improvement has been from the benchmark of not looking at home on a football pitch. I personally think that he has not done enough in 7 consecutive starts to warrant persisting with in the starting 11 at this time.

When Dolan did have the ball he failed to do anything, I just think maybe it is wise to take him back out, he is incredibly raw, I dont and never have expected him to be a regular this season, I think he is just a player that might bob in and out over the season.

• Backroom

Dolan should not be dropped. He isn't going to embarrass the full backs every week, but when does Brereton ever do that on the other flank? 

Tyrhys has shown he can make something happen out of nothing, and does the easy stuff that goes unnoticed, i.e. simple passes in the image above, very well. 

I for one hope that if any of the wingers are dropped tonight, it is Brereton. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Sounds like Elliott up top with Armstrong and Brereton. Midfield being Johnson, Evans and Holtby.

Let's see if Mowbray's  " pin the tail on the donkey " selection method works this time ? Elliot better be top class that's all I can say. No matter how hard I try I can't see anything better than a comfortable win for Watford.

• Backroom
30 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Sounds like Elliott up top with Armstrong and Brereton. Midfield being Johnson, Evans and Holtby.

Is this from a decent source? Harvey Elliott to score a brace at 100/1 is grabbing my attention! ?

2 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

7 players in our team were completely ineffective.

Of course, as mentioned. Johnson was sloppy and Evans totally ineffective both played in roles that highlight their weaknesses rather than their strengths. Buckley had an absolute shocker in a game in which he had a chance to put a marker down, to the extent that he was deservedly hauled off. Brereton I have suggested also needs dropping due to not doing enough in 7 successive starts. Armstrong was very quiet although as top scorer in the league he has plenty of credit in the bank. And I presume Bell is the other one? A player who has never shown competence really and an area I want to see Douglas in as soon as possible. Nyambe was not very good either but I would persist with him for now.

Dolan has also been ineffective and also occasionally dangerous to our own team trying tricks in the wrong areas for a couple of games. Hes barely played any senior football, no shame in taking him out of the starting 11 for the moment.

12 minutes ago, Lie_still_Rover said:

Thought that was September he said that.. Sounded like he'd be close to contention after the international break. 

Dack had a set back don't think he has even started contact training yet and if he has now started it will have only been the past week.

Will have a couple of under 23 or behind closed doors games before he is even considered 

1 hour ago, islander200 said:

Dack had a set back don't think he has even started contact training yet and if he has now started it will have only been the past week.

Will have a couple of under 23 or behind closed doors games before he is even considered 

Yep, pretty much was Dack said himself last week I think. 10 months out, with no contact training nor practice games, it will take some time to get up to speed.

Although I think Dack mentally is pretty fearless and confident, needubg less time than most to be mentally prepared to put the body on the line again.

• Like 1