BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Watford v Rovers Wed 21st Oct 7.45pm

1 minute ago, islander200 said:

We are missing our best finisher in Dack.We scored 4 and 5 against Wycombe and Derby,2 Vs Bournemouth.We created nothing of note vs Forest and a couple of decent chances against Cardiff.

Last night some of our finishing was bad but their Goalkeeper also had an unreal game, possibly the best goalkeeper in the championship.

Just my opinion but if we created the same amount of chances on Saturday we would score more than once.

Let's hope so seeing as how we need to score 3 to get a draw away from home some of the time.

Until I've seen the new lads play a few games I wouldn't like to comment on their ability.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

7 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

We are closer to the bottom than top.  We let goals in for fun.  No way are we gong to push for promotion as it stands.  Defence is toilet

To be pedantic but your opening sentence is wrong. We are 9 points off the top and 11 points off the bottom.

Your posts remind me very much of my dad’s comments when he used to go down to Ewood saying to us that Rovers were going to get beaten today and if they did then he would come home saying he was proven right but if they won then deep down he was chuffed to bits but out loud he would say Rovers were lucky!

But it’s a great mental attitude to adopt as you’re always right; a prophet of doom and gloom or a secret admirer of a Rovers revival!

• Like 1

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Let's hope so seeing as how we need to score 3 to get a draw away from home some of the time.

Be fair tho in the games we have needed to score 3 to get a draw we have been playing against clubs who have premier league players throughout their squads.

Sarr will be a menace to most defences In this division.There is a reason he was linked with Manchester United and Liverpool throughout the summer and why Palace bid 25 million for him.

Our promotion chances won't rest on failing to pick up points at Watford and Bournemouth (and we were incredibly unlucky in that match)We deserved to lose last night but against Bournemouth very unfortunate to not come away with at least a point 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JHRover said:

Being the "better team" isn't all about how much possession, how many passes and how near you get to the opponents box.

Fatal mistake thinking that. 

There's two sides to every game of football. Scoring goals and keeping it out at the other end. Neither is more important or better than the other.

Mowbray thinks he is clever. He clearly thinks a lot about football, enjoys trying to emulate Klopp or be some sort of bargain bucket Guardiola but there's two sides to every coin. He isnt better or more clever than a manager that focuses first on defence and builds from there. It might look better particularly to the neutrals and those who attach importance to such things but it is actually meaningless. It is all about results 

Already this season a familiar theme has emerged. So called good performances at Bournemouth, Newcastle, Watford yet nothing to show for it.

Pats on the back all round because the stats were impressive, loads of possession going nowhere, a few half chances, opposition fans and managers impressed as they collect their 3 points unscathed.

Nice guys finish last. I dont want plaudits from others I want us to be hated because then you know you are getting somewhere.

Yes, it's the same with players. Opposing fans don't bother booing our bad players, only the good ones.

• Like 1

Just now, JHRover said:

Being the "better team" isn't all about how much possession, how many passes and how near you get to the opponents box.

There's two sides to every game of football. Scoring goals and keeping it out at the other end. Neither is more important or better than the other.

Mowbray thinks he is clever. He clearly thinks a lot about football, enjoys trying to emulate Klopp or be some sort of bargain bucket Guardiola but there's two sides to every coin. He isnt better or more clever than a manager that focuses first on defence and builds from there. It might look better particularly to the neutrals and those who attach importance to such things but it is actually meaningless. It is all about results 

Already this season a familiar theme has emerged. So called good performances at Bournemouth, Newcastle, Watford yet nothing to show for it.

Pats on the back all round because the stats were impressive, loads of possession going nowhere, a few half chances, opposition fans and managers impressed as they collect their 3 points unscathed.

Nice guys finish last. I dont want plaudits from others I want us to be hated because then you know you are getting somewhere.

Yeah and only teams who have scored more than the one goal against us this season have been 2 relegated teams with multi million pound players throughout their squads.

You think if we went defensive last night we would have come away with something?I really don't.

With respect the likes of Sarr and Pedro are playing way below their level and Sarr in particular will trouble every defence in this division.

Promotion won't be won or lost not picking up points away to Bournemouth and Watford.And despite what you say we created more than enough chances in both those games to pick something up.Last night was a mixture of poor finishing but Foster also had an outstanding game.

We deserved to lose but if we play like we did last night against Coventry and Reading we will pick up 6 points.

Last Friday you said you were impressed with our business yet you won't even give a bit of time for them to be ready to start before you rule out our chances this season!

Just now, islander200 said:

Yeah and only teams who have scored more than the one goal against us this season have been 2 relegated teams with multi million pound players throughout their squads.

You think if we went defensive last night we would have come away with something?I really don't.

With respect the likes of Sarr and Pedro are playing way below their level and Sarr in particular will trouble every defence in this division.

Promotion won't be won or lost not picking up points away to Bournemouth and Watford.And despite what you say we created more than enough chances in both those games to pick something up.Last night was a mixture of poor finishing but Foster also had an outstanding game.

We deserved to lose but if we play like we did last night against Coventry and Reading we will pick up 6 points.

Last Friday you said you were impressed with our business yet you won't even give a bit of time for them to be ready to start before you rule out our chances this season!

I was impressed with our deadline day business. 

We arent going anywhere with this manager IMO. 

I wish it were different and that he would change but I see no evidence of it. Same old hard luck stories.

Promotion might be won or lost anywhere. 0 from 6 at Bournemouth and Watford whilst 1 from 6 at home and 0 goals. Infact our couple of victories came against the dross of the division.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JHRover said:

I was impressed with our deadline day business. 

We arent going anywhere with this manager IMO. 

I wish it were different and that he would change but I see no evidence of it. Same old hard luck stories.

Promotion might be won or lost anywhere. 0 from 6 at Bournemouth and Watford whilst 1 from 6 at home and 0 goals. Infact our couple of victories came against the dross of the division.

Im no big Mowbray fan either but he was the manager last Friday also and you seemed a little optimistic after they signed, so find it a little odd you practically writing off our chances for top 6 this year when those players have only been at the club for 6 days and 2 of them haven't started a match 

• Like 1

At the end of the day, ifs buts and maybes count for nothing: it's about points in the bag. Reading are top of the league on merit, they've accumulated most points (sorry to state the obvious) and as it stands we're not better than them.

We have the attacking options to trouble most teams but we need to learn to both attack and defend as a team. Time will tell whether or not TM can get a consistent tune out of what's available to him at both ends of the field. I'm personally a doubter, think that nobody can fault Venky's backing of him and that if we're not seriously in the mix for promotion come mid November, Mowbray should be bulleted. After all, what's Championship football all about now if it's not seeking promotion? There's nowt else left!

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Yep it's not boxing nobodies scoring points for passes connected.

What's happened last 2 games is a constant theme we can't see tight games out and we go behind we nearly always lose. These are the things that need ironing out and what the new possession based game was supposed to help with.

Plus we need a proper striker, Rhodes, Graham......

Arma is not that man.

45 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Having more shots on target is though; 7 to 4.

Their keeper was inspired. 

Quality teams like ours will eventually get their rewards. The Watford manager said we were the first proper test for his team and an excellent side. 

2 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Yep it's not boxing nobodies scoring points for passes connected.

What's happened last 2 games is a constant theme we can't see tight games out and we go behind we nearly always lose. These are the things that need ironing out and what the new possession based game was supposed to help with.

Plus we need a proper striker, Rhodes, Graham......

Arma is not that man.

Rhodes sure as hell isn't that man.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Vilesinner said:

Rhodes sure as hell isn't that man.

Don't be silly he'd still score more than anybody else if the formation suited but wouldn't fit how Mowbray wants to work now.

What i was pointing out quite clearly is we had Rhodes then replaced him with DG but now there is no out and out striker or target man in the squad. We need one.

Armstrong will get goals but last night highlighted the difference between someone like him or a Rhodes/Graham.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 1

Just now, tomphil said:

Don't be silly he'd still score more than anybody else if the formation suited but wouldn't fit how Mowbray wants to work now.

What i was pointing out quite clearly is we had Rhodes then replaced him with DG but now there is no out and out striker or target man in the squad. We need one.

Armstrong will get goals but last night highlighted the difference between someone like him or a Rhodes/Graham.

We play the Liverpool way where a pacy front 3 closing down. Rhodes is ok Ike Ian Rush; a player of the past.

6 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

At this stage in 2018/19 Norwich were 9 points off an automatic spot and 6 points off a play off place. Was that relevant? Promoted as Champions.

At this stage in 2017/18 Fulham were 7 points off an automatic spot and 3 points off a play off place. Was that relevant? Promoted via the play offs.

At this stage in 2014/15 Bournemouth were 5 points off an automatic spot and 3 points off a play off place. Was that relevant? Promoted as Champions.

At this stage in 2012/13 Crystal Palace were 6 points off an automatic spot and 4 points off a play off place. Rovers were top. Was that relevant? Palace promoted via the play offs, Rovers finished 17th.

At this stage in 2011/12 Reading were 11 points off an automatic spot and 7 points off a play off place. They were in the relegation zone in fact. Was that relevant? Promoted as Champions.

At this stage in 2009/10 Blackpool were 7 points off an automatic spot and 4 points off a play off place. Was that relevant? Promoted via the play offs.

Who was top of the Premier League after 6 games in 1994/95? Newcastle. We were 4 points behind them already. Was that relevant? You don't get a trophy for being top after 6 games.

It's a good job none of those sides above gave up after 6 games I guess.

Obviously we arent going to give up but there is no getting away from the fact that weve had a poor start and indeed like those examples highlighted means that we have to accumulate even more points over the remaining 40 games. There are a lot more examples of teams who had poor starts and didnt make the play offs or get promoted. Nothing I have seen so far sadly makes me think that we will join the above examples but fingers crossed, perhaps with Mowbray making one or two compromises it will all click and we can really start to pick up wins, starting on Saturday.

5 hours ago, philipl said:

Gallagher had a knock to a knee in training so was omitted.

I don't see how he even gets on the bench when we have something like a full squad fit and available.

He is not particularly good, but he is the second of only 2 strikers so I dont see how he cant. Its not as if we are awash with forwards, the bench was very weak yesterday in terms of changing the game.

8 minutes ago, Vilesinner said:

We play the Liverpool way where a pacy front 3 closing down. Rhodes is ok Ike Ian Rush; a player of the past.

I have seen very, very little from Rovers that reminds me of Liverpool. And Rhodes would easily get into this side, we have a lot of attacking players with pace who seldom actually score.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Vilesinner said:

Playing the same formation doesn't make us as good as Liverpool my Alien friend..:-)

3 games v Cardiff, Forest and Watford yeilded 1 goal so it might be fair to say it's not a raging success. 

I'm quite confident we'd have nicked something out of one of those games with a Rhodes or Graham lurking about. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Vilesinner said:

Having more shots on target is though; 7 to 4.

Their keeper was inspired. 

Quality teams like ours will eventually get their rewards. The Watford manager said we were the first proper test for his team and an excellent side. 

We conceded 3 goals though, yet again. That's the bloody problem, I'm amazed that anybody can't see that!

• Backroom

My biggest problem with yesterday:

A few weeks ago it was said Cardiff nullified us by having a plan and doubling up on Dolan to plug that outlet. No offence intended, but in reality, Dolan is still a no-mark free transfer from a mid table Championship club.

Yesterday we were up against, I assume, the most expensive winger in the League at 30 million. What was our plan to counteract this? As far as I saw, it was to play an incredibly high defensive line (pretty much halfway line), and leave Sarr 1 on 1 with the weakest member of our back 4. And repeatedly let him run at said defender.....in space.....without giving any assistance.  

And then everyone appeared shocked with the predictable results this tactic produced.

I'm fine with Rovers adopting this high line, high press approach in general. It's exciting to watch and will help us win games over the season. But you have to adapt to your opponents, and yesterday, that tactic played right into Watford's hands. 

• Like 4