Jump to content
darrenrover

Watford v Rovers Wed 21st Oct 7.45pm

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Vilesinner said:

Why? When he was a big part of our 6 wins from 7 last year, and N Ireland's success. N Ireland struggle without him.

That being said all three central midfielders were poor yesterday.

You let your international allegiance cloud your view of Evans 75% of his time at Ewood he's been pish.  The run you keep referring to is in the 25% and he plays further forwards for NI than he does here a slightly different role.  He can do that and that's why showing like yesterday are annoying although he's probably just doing as he's asked.

His best efforts at Rovers usually come when the team in general is playing well and it lifts him never once i can recall him grabbing a game by the scruff or being a driving force. Better when he's paired with Travis or similar but as we saw for years with him and Lowe or Williamson games are almost a non event with 2 defensive mids.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He’ll be cracking after Christmas... be angling for a new deal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Yes and he has had some time with his family now it's time to come back .He really shouldn't be missing the game on Wednesday

Well looking at Holtby's Instagram post today he is still in Germany 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Vilesinner said:

Why? When he was a big part of our 6 wins from 7 last year. 

You keep going on about this made up fact. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Well looking at Holtby's Instagram post today he is still in Germany 

Covid cases rising in Germany let's hope they don't go on the quarantine list anytime soon or he would have to quarantine for 14 days. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

Covid cases rising in Germany let's hope they don't go on the quarantine list anytime soon or he would have to quarantine for 14 days. 

Never thought of that. Will he have to do that ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just caught the back end of a news report that said the Watford squad will be tested for Coronavirus after playing at Derby with Rooney potentially being infected. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

He’ll be cracking after Christmas... be angling for a new deal.

Leave him on the bench till then !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, arbitro said:

I just caught the back end of a news report that said the Watford squad will be tested for Coronavirus after playing at Derby with Rooney potentially being infected. 

https://www.watfordobserver.co.uk/sport/18803037.watford-facing-tests-wayne-rooney-visited-guest-coronavirus/

In Rooney’s ‘support bubble’ this mon, I presume?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Roverinbelfast said:

This is the team that ld go with. I also think you arnt far wrong from what TM select. 

I'd expect to see bell for Douglas and that's about it. 

I dont think Dolan will start after the weekend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Holtbys entitled to his 2 weeks paternity leave just like anyone else and I personally wouldn't begrudge it, management failure to put out a competitive side without him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Oldgregg86 said:

Never thought of that. Will he have to do that ?

Not as it stands but if Germany is added to the quarantine list then he will have to. And cases are on the rise in Germany yesterday they reported a record number of cases.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Ewood Ace said:

Not as it stands but if Germany is added to the quarantine list then he will have to. And cases are on the rise in Germany yesterday they reported a record number of cases.

I would never begrudge him not being at the birth of his child or spending time with his new baby but I do think he should return By tomorrow Night and be ready for the game Wednesday 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, davulsukur said:

Agreed. Plus, with the formation we are playing our full backs absolutely have to contribute in attack. 

err so do the forwards but they didn't. Nyambe offers little in attack either so doe he get dropped as well?

I don't rate Bell one bit and would replace him but on Saturday there were far worse than him.

 

Easy scapegoat me thinks

Edited by dingles staying down 4ever

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, JoeH said:

Draw last week, potential win, but at least a draw today. Both are tough away games. We’ll see how Rovers get on away from home. But right now I fear we’re going to become the side that has all the fancy flicks and no results.

I’m growing frustrated with the new 4-3-3 system, I don’t think it suits Dack, it doesn’t play well if the press isn’t at 95% and above either.

I’d like to see a tactical response to a lack of players due to injury, rather than fielding a mismatch midfield three and complaining about it after-the-fact.

I’m usually in the positive post-match camp and I am quite vocally supportive of Tony Mowbray and the club, but I was annoyed that from 30 mins into the Forest game I knew exactly what was going to happen - and then it did.

The fact 4-3-3 doe not suit Dack is irrelvent at the moment and has worked well on occassions this season. Its the lack of the ability to change it when its not working that is of concern

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sponsor
36 minutes ago, DeeCee said:

Holtbys entitled to his 2 weeks paternity leave just like anyone else and I personally wouldn't begrudge it, management failure to put out a competitive side without him.

Indeed, there's an international stepped in to take his place and our central midfield dept is now stronger than its ever been at Champ level under Venkys , even before the latest recruits.  

So somebody has to get a tune out of them.

Edited by tomphil

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, dingles staying down 4ever said:

The fact 4-3-3 doe not suit Dack is irrelvent at the moment and has worked well on occassions this season. Its the lack of the ability to change it when its not working that is of concern

I get what you are saying to an extent but I suppose the first 5 results are not good enough to not at least bring the current system into question and debate.

It also could be a bit counter productive to be too focused on the formation and working within that formation if it is deemed that upon Dack's return, it would need to be changed to get him in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, roversfan99 said:

I get what you are saying to an extent but I suppose the first 5 results are not good enough to not at least bring the current system into question and debate.

It also could be a bit counter productive to be too focused on the formation and working within that formation if it is deemed that upon Dack's return, it would need to be changed to get him in.

Your formation should reflect the strengths of the player's available. Some manager's like to fit formations to counter the opposition which time and time again Mowbray has failed. Dack is injured at present so we should not be playing a formation that suits him but none of the players fit. Mowbray tried to show horn midfielders yesterday into a formation that suited midfielders that weren't available. He tried shoehorning Evans and Johnson into a team when it is clear it is one or the other not both.

Mowbray has changed tactics when he has been forced into a change of formation. The past tells me that we be back to 4-2-3-1 as soon as he can. Once that formation returns he stick to it and will change the personnel even if they dont suit it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dingles staying down 4ever said:

The fact 4-3-3 doe not suit Dack is irrelvent at the moment and has worked well on occassions this season. Its the lack of the ability to change it when its not working that is of concern

to me it is more a lack of willingness to change tactics when our first plan isn't working.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dingles staying down 4ever said:

The fact 4-3-3 doe not suit Dack is irrelvent at the moment and has worked well on occassions this season. Its the lack of the ability to change it when its not working that is of concern

Mowbray change it in second half. Buckley first, than Chapman played in the hole. Very much the Dack role. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Without Rothwell and Holtby again I think we need a rethink formation wise until they return. We need to keep the intensity and creativity of earlier games.

With what's available I'd go:

                   Kaminski

Nyambe   Ayala    Lenihan    Douglas

Chapman   Trybull    Evans    Elliott

              Gallagher   Armstrong

Either play Gally through the middle or dont play him. Replace evans with Johnson if you prefer, but he looked very leggy late on Saturday proof of which was his assist for their goal. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, BlackburnEnd75 said:

Without Rothwell and Holtby again I think we need a rethink formation wise until they return. We need to keep the intensity and creativity of earlier games.

With what's available I'd go:

                   Kaminski

Nyambe   Ayala    Lenihan    Douglas

Chapman   Trybull    Evans    Elliott

              Gallagher   Armstrong

Either play Gally through the middle or dont play him. Replace evans with Johnson if you prefer, but he looked very leggy late on Saturday proof of which was his assist for their goal. 

Evans and Trybull are both the same type.  We need some thrust in there.  I'd have bought a proper box to box midfielder 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BlackburnEnd75 said:

Without Rothwell and Holtby again I think we need a rethink formation wise until they return. We need to keep the intensity and creativity of earlier games.

With what's available I'd go:

                   Kaminski

Nyambe   Ayala    Lenihan    Douglas

Chapman   Trybull    Evans    Elliott

              Gallagher   Armstrong

Either play Gally through the middle or dont play him. Replace evans with Johnson if you prefer, but he looked very leggy late on Saturday proof of which was his assist for their goal. 

Despite Dolans last two performances being pretty quiet there’s no way I’d start Chapman ahead of him and I’d go Johnson instead of Evans purely for the fact Johnson can’t play worse than he did yesterday surely 😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember standing on the terraces at Vicarage Road when we won 3-1. I think Tony Field scored and maybe one of their ex players Garbutt or Endean. 
Same again please. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, briansol said:

Mowbray change it in second half. Buckley first, than Chapman played in the hole. Very much the Dack role. 

 

Playing a winger like Chapman in there is a case in point, he is a winger and should have been out wide. Instead we had him in the middle and SG playing as a wide forward.

 

Formation should utilise player strengths not players be shoehorned in to fit a formation.

Edited by dingles staying down 4ever

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.