BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

24 minutes ago, bluefred said:

And one shit team (Forrest ) 

To be fair forest are a good side who lost there way towards the end of last season, under the previous manager. That continued this season, and so they replaced the manager with a solid appointment in Hughton. I think they will improve now 

20 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

Yes. What's really interesting is if everyone is fit it's very hard to pick a best team. I'd probably go :

Kaminski

JRC    Lenihan.   Williams.  Douglas

Holtby.   Trybull.  Travis

Armstrong.   Dack.   Brereton.

But then I'm leaving out Elliot, Johnson, Rothwell, Dolan, Ayala who all have looked really good, and Nyambe who I really rate also. Any of them you could put in there without much argument.

It's amazing really. What a great young attacking squad we have.

For me it’s:  

Nyambe Lenihan Williams Dougless

Travis Holtby

elliot.                  Dack.               Brereton

Arma 

I think we would be exposed at the back with both JRC and Douglass against stronger sides. Also think Arma has earned the center forward role and Dack will be just fine playing off him. 

really a good problem to have trying to leave a quality player out vs years past where we couldn’t find a quality player to put in 

3 hours ago, Roverinbelfast said:

I think had Ayala been fit lenihan would have been dropped along with bell, Evans & nyambe and rightfully so. 

I don't get why it always has to be a conspiracy theory. Nyambe has been poor so has been dropped. That's what should happen in football 

I was using the facts that Mowbray was quoted as saying for the reasons behind Nyambe being dropped. It wasn't a conspiracy theory. 

14 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Wimbledon play at QPR this season.

Just read that the new Plough Lane opens next month

And when Wimbledon and MK Dons play each other, I believe the Dons refer to the game - ironically, obvs - as the 'Franchise Derby'! If memory serves, they won't do anything they're not required to: e.g. they won't print a programme.

25 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

Yes in the brief period where Coventry had 11 men he was caught out a couple of time.

I think Tony may bring Nyambe in for the game vs Reading to shore up then defence. But then where does JRC go as we need his legs and passing quality? Probs midfield. Then that means Johnson is dropped....

Tricky decisions all round.

Is Rothwell available for Reading? That further complicated matters.

Probably best shout is to just stick with a winning team. But I do think JRC at FB and Johnson in midfield could struggle when we are on the back foot.

Sure read it somewhere Rothwell isolated till Friday, not 100% sure.

3 hours ago, darrenrover said:

I feel JRC offers more in an attacking sense than Nyambe. His link up play with Dolan was encouraging and hopefully will be similarly with Elliott. I like Nyambe but think he's lacking and predictable in his forward play. His physique lends itself more to being a central defender as opposed to a modern day fullback IMO. That said, I do feel he's a bit of a fall guy as far as Mowbray is concerned but do understand today's choice at right back.

I don't have a problem with any changes if it's for the betterment of the team but the flimsy excuses used for dropping Nyambe are poor for me. If it's tactical then Mowbray should say so.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, yankfan said:

For me it’s:  

Nyambe Lenihan Williams Dougless

Travis Holtby

elliot.                  Dack.               Brereton

Arma 

I think we would be exposed at the back with both JRC and Douglass against stronger sides. Also think Arma has earned the center forward role and Dack will be just fine playing off him. 

really a good problem to have trying to leave a quality player out vs years past where we couldn’t find a quality player to put in 

Can't see the logic personally in moving away from the 433 that seems so good for us.

49 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Rhodes in his pomp was a much better player than Armstrong.

Errrrm no he was not...not even close imo. Rhodes in his pomp had the finishing of Defoe and the overall footballing ability of a league 2 player.

Arma will evidence the huge difference in ability by the level he plays at. He will be in the Premier league next season whether or not we are. 

• Like 4

Just now, m1st said:

And when Wimbledon and MK Dons play each other, I believe the Dons refer to the game - ironically, obvs - as the 'Franchise Derby'! If memory serves, they won't do anything they're not required to: e.g. they won't print a programme.

I thought there had been a bit of reconciliation and that the Milton Keynes lot had returned the 'history' of Wimbledon FC to the the lot who will soon be back at Plough Lane.

It was a hell of a mess though when it happened so understandable that bitterness persists.

5 minutes ago, arbitro said:

I don't have a problem with any changes if it's for the betterment of the team but the flimsy excuses used for dropping Nyambe are poor for me. If it's tactical then Mowbray should say so.

Did he not do that Tony? I assumed Mowbray saw JRC as a better attacking option as I do. What was his stated reason for dropping Nyambe?  I haven't seen any quotes from Mowbray but if it was knocking Rhino yet again, I'd agree with you, it would be out of order.

3 minutes ago, darrenrover said:

Did he not do that Tony? I assumed Mowbray saw JRC as a better attacking option as I do. What was his stated reason for dropping Nyambe?  I haven't seen any quotes from Mowbray but if it was knocking Rhino yet again, I'd agree with you, it would be out of order.

At Millwall he said a lack of confidence. For the Wycombe game he said his numbers were high and that he felt JRC would get forward. As I said Nick I have no problem with tactical or off form droppings but Nyambe seems to be hard done to in my view. Mowbray made some recent noises about a new contract for him, I think the negotiations will be interesting.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, arbitro said:

Personally I think the writing is on the wall for Nyambe. I think mowbray is fully aware that he's going at the end of the season and that's why it makes it easier for him to drop him. 

Having said that. He fully deserved to be dropped today as he was awful against forest and Watford. 

Kaminski, Douglas, Trybull and Elliott are huge upgrades on previous seasons, so well done Mowbray on that score. Putting Holtby and Brereton in their current positions has also strengthened us massively.

I think our most worrisome conundrum now is the right back position. A combination of the attributes of Nyambe and JRC would be perfect but Ryan gives us zero end product going forward and Joe can be shaky defensively. 

How about (bear with me here) giving Travis a couple of games there when fit? He doesn't get in my midfield at the moment but played right back for years as a youngster. He is a better defender than JRC and better winger than Nyambe.

His competitive edge and desire make him hard to leave out but I like our current midfield options too much to put him straight back there

Worth a try? 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Colt Seavers said:

Kaminski, Douglas, Trybull and Elliott are huge upgrades on previous seasons, so well done Mowbray on that score. Putting Holtby and Brereton in their current positions has also strengthened us massively.

I think our most worrisome conundrum now is the right back position. A combination of the attributes of Nyambe and JRC would be perfect but Ryan gives us zero end product going forward and Joe can be shaky defensively. 

How about (bear with me here) giving Travis a couple of games there when fit? He doesn't get in my midfield at the moment but played right back for years as a youngster. He is a better defender than JRC and better winger than Nyambe.

His competitive edge and desire make him hard to leave out but I like our current midfield options too much to put him straight back there

Worth a try? 

Not for me. But I see we're you are coming from. Travis for Johnson and Dack for Brereton with the other 9 from today is our best 11 currently imo. 

With players like Nyambe, Rothwell, ayala etc on the bench, it's as strong as we have been in years. 

• Like 1

Very pleasing performance and result, as soon as a very limited Coventry went down to 10 men the result was a formality but the scoreline and many aspects of the performance were very exciting.

Of course the key is consistency now. We have played 3 of the 4 poorest sides in the league so far and we have absolutely hammered all 3 of them. Against "superior teams" or stubborn teams of a similar level, we have struggled to get results. The good parts of the 3 wins have to come together on a regular basis, the start so far is ok, no more, but today I am very happy.

Brereton was absolutely superb today, 3 assists and plenty of other good play, his best performance. The poor finish at the end was frustrating because when we got the first and obviously the man advantage, one of the main things that I was dying to see was another Brereton goal, of course until he starts properly contributing with a few goals there will always be a question mark, but very impressive overall. Armstrong is the main source of the numbers in Dack's absence, perhaps the least involved overall of the attacking players but the most important in putting the ball in the back of the net. Elliott looks a real talent, he doesnt look raw as I expected of someone so young, he looks surprisingly mature and seems to really be on the same wavelength as Holtby who ran the game, although whose finishing was dreadful! Their link up for the fourth was not a first time but it summed them up today perfectly. To see Elliott getting a goal and an assist already is a huge bonus.

Further back, Johnson wasnt stand out but not playing him in front of the back 4 removes that worry of him being a liability in possession and causing us problems, he can put himself about more and he used his experience well, and Trybull whilst looking rather slow in transition looks a natural in that holding role.

I thought that Lenihan was the pick of the centre backs, Williams was fine but Lenihan looked particularly determined to get that clean sheet, he has got some criticism lately but I think whilst not being perfect that we are better with him than without him. Douglas had to shake off some rust at the start with a stupid yellow card and being caught out of possession, ultimately defensively he wasnt tested but on the ball it is night and day with him and Bell, sensible decision to sub him off with the yellow but hes got to be the only choice there now. Rankin Costello would be a worry at right back v better teams, there was once or twice when he naively gave them the run of that right side either by losing it trying something he perhaps shouldnt or even backing off but on the ball he was good and the ball for the first goal was absolutely outstanding. Kaminski had a quiet day and I hope that he recovered for Tuesday.

I thought we lost some control and quality when we made the 3 subs, the players coming on were all obvious downgrades. Buckley grew into the game to be fair and Gallagher got his goal through a terrible goalkeeping mistake but I was really pleased to see him score. He is not a right winger in a million years though so why Mowbray persists with it is beyond me.

2 hours ago, JoeH said:

Yes. See his headed goals in pre-seasons gone by. Far more of an aerial threat than Armstrong and Harvey Elliott. Blackpool away this season for example.

I dont think that I have ever seen him even come close with his head in a competitive match. In fact he often seems to purposely avoid aerial duels.

16 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Errrrm no he was not...not even close imo. Rhodes in his pomp had the finishing of Defoe and the overall footballing ability of a league 2 player.

Arma will evidence the huge difference in ability by the level he plays at. He will be in the Premier league next season whether or not we are. 

Both of them are predominantly players that dont contribute loads from open play but are just regular goalscorers. Armstrong does have pace but often he still finds himself offside and he is quite languid in general play, when he wasnt scoring prior to 2020 he was often somewhat of a liability because his at times laziness (which was more of a problem because of the role he played then) was not being offset by goals. He is also hit and miss when he goes through on goal and isnt the biggest threat at sniffing out and anticipating chances likes Rhodes, Dack and even Graham were/are but boosts his numbers up by hitting a few screamers and also like Rhodes, penalties. Rhodes' limitations in general play were overly exaggerated and he didnt have the pace or even the technical ability of Armstrong but he was brilliant in terms of movement, anticipation, composure, intelligence and as you say his finishing, put him through on goal and he scores 9 times out of 10, Armstrong scores maybe 5, Rhodes also gets so many more tap ins. You never really see Rhodes smashing in one from 25 yards though.

I think they are both very similar, not necessarily in style but in being very limited players in terms of how much they contribute overall, apart from getting regular goals. That being said, I think that as stupid as it sounds, simply being able to score goals regularly and consistently is a skill that is becoming underrated, hence why both players were and are so important to us.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, arbitro said:

At Millwall he said a lack of confidence. For the Wycombe game he said his numbers were high and that he felt JRC would get forward. As I said Nick I have no problem with tactical or off form droppings but Nyambe seems to be hard done to in my view. Mowbray made some recent noises about a new contract for him, I think the negotiations will be interesting.

indeed. I think Nyambe would fare much better in a back 3. Looking at our options going forward and the players now in our armoury, I wouldn't be averse to us adopting that tactic on occasions in the future, featuring Nyambe. 

There's a right and wrong way to deal with players and there's no doubt that on occasions, certain players get a raw deal.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mercer said:

As posted earlier, next 5 games should give us 4 wins and a draw.

After 12 games, we will be soarin' and flyin' (lyrics from Breaking Free).

Keep saying it but confidence and momentum are everything in this league.  Unstoppable, invincible and so powerful (more song lyrics).  The wine is working well! 

Wouldn’t like your head in the morning old bean ????

22 minutes ago, HowieFive0 said:

Kaminski groin injury at end of the game ..bloody typical ..fingers crossed for Reading 

A friend was at the game and Kaminski wanted to come off. He said he was actually walking off and Mowbray shouted at him to get back as we had made all our changes.