BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

11 minutes ago, darrenrover said:

indeed. I think Nyambe would fare much better in a back 3. Looking at our options going forward and the players now in our armoury, I wouldn't be averse to us adopting that tactic on occasions in the future, featuring Nyambe. 

There's a right and wrong way to deal with players and there's no doubt that on occasions, certain players get a raw deal.

I like Nyambe but he’s never nailed that RB position down and so whilst JRC doesn’t have his physical prowess Defensively, he is far and away a better and more intelligent footballer. As evidenced from the pass JRC played to Brereton for the penalty - a pass that Nyambe couldn’t even dream of seeing, never mind executing...be interesting to see how that battle pans out but it’s a good problem to have.  

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

:lol:

Rhodes was good finisher but his all round game was very poor. 

Armstrong has all the attributes to be Premier league player something Rhodes has never had. 

Very poor is an exaggeration anyway, but even amidst his limitations, simply being a 20+ goalscorer every year meant that he was a top level Championship striker when he was here, such is the importance of goals.

Does Armstrong have all of the attributes? Timing of runs, strength, aerial ability, hold up play, one on ones, scrappy goals, is he particularly good at any of those even at Championship level/standard? I would say no, not really. But as long as he keeps scoring goals, all of them become secondary.

Both players are not top level in quite a few ways, and often contribute very little overall apart from scoring consistently which is the most difficult and important thing for any attacker. Thats why Rhodes throughout his career here and Armstrong throughout this calendar year were/are so critical to us as a team. 

• Like 1

Very impressive performance. Brereton is was unplayable. Didn’t think we’d see this level of performance from him and also pleased to see him thrive out wide.

Holbty and Elliott are showing that they’re capable of playing at a higher level. Let’s make the most of it.

Bit disappointed with Gallagher’s effort levels. In comparison to Brereton he didn’t seem to put himself about. Took his goal well so can’t fault him overall but thought he’d put more effort in.

Did anyone else think Elliott was far more dangerous when he switched to the left late on? It gave us the added dimension of crosses from the byline. This would ultimately suit a player like Gallagher centrally, whereas Brereton cutting inside everytime profits Armstrong. 

If we ever get them all fit, there are huge battles for a starting place. 

I struggle to see a start for Bell, Evans, Dolan, Buckley, Chapman, Davenport and others due to really terrific recruitment.

We could have a massive chance this year if Mowbray can muster a mean, tight back four. The rest takes care of itself. 

• Like 9

4 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Very poor is an exaggeration anyway, but even amidst his limitations, simply being a 20+ goalscorer every year meant that he was a top level Championship striker when he was here, such is the importance of goals.

Does Armstrong have all of the attributes? Timing of runs, strength, aerial ability, hold up play, one on ones, scrappy goals, is he particularly good at any of those even at Championship level/standard? I would say no, not really. But as long as he keeps scoring goals, all of them become secondary.

Both players are not top level in quite a few ways, and often contribute very little overall apart from scoring consistently which is the most difficult and important thing for any attacker. Thats why Rhodes throughout his career here and Armstrong throughout this calendar year were/are so critical to us as a team. 

Another Rhodes love in again. He was finisher and that's was it. 

Didnt Armstrong score a one on one after a good timing of a run? 

Didnt he won the ball.in the head for Brereton's goal on Wednesday? 

• Like 1

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

I never said that he is awful at one on ones, just hit and miss. Likewise, Rhodes scored a fair few headers, I wouldnt say he was good or top level in the air.

Its not a love in. I just appreciated that when Rhodes was here, he was as good as any striker in the league. If Armstrong scores with similar consistency and regularity then he can be too, his record in 2020 is very much putting him on the way.

Why are we discussing a largely unused sub at the Championship's bottom club?

Rhodes and Armstrong are only similar in being goal scoring forwards for us.

Despite all the goals, I think Armstrong is off the pace at the moment. Wonderful things are going on all around him but he doesn't seem to fit in terribly well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paul Mani said:

Errrrm no he was not...not even close imo. Rhodes in his pomp had the finishing of Defoe and the overall footballing ability of a league 2 player.

Arma will evidence the huge difference in ability by the level he plays at. He will be in the Premier league next season whether or not we are. 

I will use admin privileges to remove Jordan Rhodes slander!!

6 minutes ago, philipl said:

Despite all the goals, I think Armstrong is off the pace at the moment. Wonderful things are going on all around him but he doesn't seem to fit in terribly well.

And to add one last bit to the debate i think Rhodes would score plenty in a side playing like this.  End of the day though apart from being on the pitch to score goals they are vastly different players.

The end.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, philipl said:

Wish we could have him back for the second half of the season.

I also wish we could play Coventry every match.

30 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

The only area Rhodes is better than Armstrong is in the 6 yard box or one v ones. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, arbitro said:

A friend was at the game and Kaminski wanted to come off. He said he was actually walking off and Mowbray shouted at him to get back as we had made all our changes. 

We could have put an outfield player in goal and played on, it would have still been 10 v 10 and we were streets in front. Normally Keepers aren't rushing to come off unless they think it's needed.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

30 minutes ago, Colt Seavers said:

Did anyone else think Elliott was far more dangerous when he switched to the left late on? 

My thoughts entirely. He sort of had a freer role playing from the middle across to the left hand side and looked a different player to me, far more effective.

I thought today we were terrific, looking at the season as a whole I think we've been very inconsistent, exceptional in the three games we've won, very poor against Cardiff, Forest and Watford and good in the game against Bournemouth which we nevertheless managed to lose. Unfortunately you still only get three points for winning four or five nil so we'll have to cut the percentage of poor games right down if we're to challenge. Hopefully we can achieve that greater consistency if the manager continues to pick what most people would consider to be more or less the strongest line up and doesn't succumb to the temptation of starting the likes of Evans and Gallagher again, although personally I much prefer Nyambe to JRC at RB.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

Can't see the logic personally in moving away from the 433 that seems so good for us.

I guess you can put the names on paper however you like but the mid 3 are all fairly central, one has more defensive responsibilities, while the other two more freedom to operate. One more advanced and the other a bit deeper. The wide advanced players also have defensive responsibilities to cover the backs.  So 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3 it’s really the same. 

Edited by yankfan

56 minutes ago, Colt Seavers said:

If we ever get them all fit, there are huge battles for a starting place. 

I struggle to see a start for Bell, Evans, Dolan, Buckley, Chapman, Davenport and others due to really terrific recruitment.

Problem is, 4 of those are young players we own who could still improve. At the end of the season, if we're promoted then fantastic, but if we're not we lose the loanees, have a lot of contracts running down, and didn't build some of our assets enough. Hopefully it's the former outcome.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Problem is, 4 of those are young players we own who could still improve. At the end of the season, if we're promoted then fantastic, but if we're not we lose the loanees, have a lot of contracts running down, and didn't build some of our assets enough. Hopefully it's the former outcome.

Yep it's do or die for this current squad. If we get promoted great. We will strengthen further and the contacts will all get renewed, if not I can see players leave and another rebuild is needed 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Roverinbelfast said:

Yep it's do or die for this current squad. If we get promoted great. We will strengthen further and the contacts will all get renewed, if not I can see players leave and another rebuild is needed 

Isn't Holtby signed on a two year deal ending this season?

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

I never said that he is awful at one on ones, just hit and miss. Likewise, Rhodes scored a fair few headers, I wouldnt say he was good or top level in the air.

Its not a love in. I just appreciated that when Rhodes was here, he was as good as any striker in the league. If Armstrong scores with similar consistency and regularity then he can be too, his record in 2020 is very much putting him on the way.

Give it a rest about Rhodes. Gestede and King were better than him. He scored nothing else.

We defend from the front with pace and skill, Rhodes is the last person we should sign.

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

I would put money on Armstrong to miss a one on one than to score. That’s not a good sign for a number 9. Rhodes finishing was precise and accurate.