BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

6 minutes ago, CrouchingNunhiddenCucumber said:

For me the Cardiff & Forest games are more concerning than the Watford one - Watford will be right up there this season, if we finish above them I suspect we'll go up automatically. 

Yet against teams who came and sat deep with 10 men behind the ball we had no answers, and the more we go and score 4 & 5 at teams who have a go at us the more we'll face teams coming to shut up shop and we've never been able to crack this approach under Mowbray. 

Lots to be excited about but we're a way from expecting to finish in the top 6 for me. 

Agree completely on worrying more about beating the teams who come to stop us and there will be many more who do so with the way we’re playing. Hopefully the injection of quality in all areas of the pitch and the return of Dack will mean we can unlock those teams in the future.

As for being ‘some way’ off finishing 6th....WTF!!? We’re physically 2pts off there now, have scored 4 twice, 5 once, 4 clean sheets in 7 games and being described as ‘Dark horses’....if we’re “some way off” I don’t know what we’d have to do to be “in the mix” ???

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, CrouchingNunhiddenCucumber said:

For me the Cardiff & Forest games are more concerning than the Watford one - Watford will be right up there this season, if we finish above them I suspect we'll go up automatically. 

Yet against teams who came and sat deep with 10 men behind the ball we had no answers, and the more we go and score 4 & 5 at teams who have a go at us the more we'll face teams coming to shut up shop and we've never been able to crack this approach under Mowbray. 

Lots to be excited about but we're a way from expecting to finish in the top 6 for me. 

I will be worried too if we have to start any more games with 13 players from the first team squad unavailable again.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, tomphil said:

If we only paste one more team in the entire season please god let it be them. You want to see the moaning whinging and bashing their manager and players thats been going on with that lot.  Never ever think social media moaning is exclusive to Rovers that lot take first prize and always have.

Bunch of over inflated delusionists.

To be honest Preston is just another game to me , Burnley are the one and that game is not to far in the future now ..

Edited by Waggy76
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Agree completely on worrying more about beating the teams who come to stop us and there will be many more who do so with the way we’re playing. Hopefully the injection of quality in all areas of the pitch and the return of Dack will mean we can unlock those teams in the future.

As for being ‘some way’ off finishing 6th....WTF!!? We’re physically 2pts off there now, have scored 4 twice, 5 once, 4 clean sheets in 7 games and being described as ‘Dark horses’....if we’re “some way off” I don’t know what we’d have to do to be “in the mix” ???

Having Dack available again will be a massive plus .

• Like 1

Just now, Paul Mani said:

He didn't say "some way off". You can only be patronising if you have the ability to understand what you're reading ??? (childish emoji's added)

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

We're 'physically' 10th in the league.

How long have we occupied the play off spots under Mowbray? I'd say we'd need to be in there for more than the 4 or 5 games that we have been, in the 150 odd games he's managed us for, whilst not losing to teams like Forest - who have drawn with Derby and Rotherham since beating us by the way - for us to be truly in the mix. 

• Like 3

As often, we're losing the balance of this debate. IMO we're not real challengers for top 2 in this division nor can we expect to be top 6, as we still have too many faults in crucial aspects of the gam at both ends of the pitch.

But that said we're not way off either; out of 7 games, I think we've put in 5 good overall performances, 1 average one and 1 poor one. That has to bode well as whilst it's points that win prizes, good performances are more likely to bring points than average and poor ones. 

If we can just find some consistency at the back (i.e. avoid silly mistakes or 3 goal deficits) and be more clinical in front of goal, then we can be properly excited I think; but they are quite big issues to solve, hopefully the way the new lads played yesterday makes that more likely.

• Like 7

11 minutes ago, Waggy76 said:

To be honest Preston is just another game to me , Burnley are the one and that game is not to far in the future now ..

Yes that's on another level but to those of us in the outlands PNE don't half get up yer wick the last few years.

• Like 2

I think the new style of play (Liverpool style) is brilliant, but history is littered with teams that played nice football but just weren't ruthless enough in both boxes. I think we've got a lot more about us this season and are a much bigger threat going forward but you do worry that we'll make the same silly mistakes and ultimately shoot ourselves in the foot.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Atko's Engine said:

As often, we're losing the balance of this debate. IMO we're not real challengers for top 2 in this division nor can we expect to be top 6, as we still have too many faults in crucial aspects of the gam at both ends of the pitch.

But that said we're not way off either; out of 7 games, I think we've put in 5 good overall performances, 1 average one and 1 poor one. That has to bode well as whilst it's points that win prizes, good performances are more likely to bring points than average and poor ones. 

If we can just find some consistency at the back (i.e. avoid silly mistakes or 3 goal deficits) and be more clinical in front of goal, then we can be properly excited I think; but they are quite big issues to solve, hopefully the way the new lads played yesterday makes that more likely.

100%

All i'm expecting this season is a genuine go at breaking into the top 6 anything else is a bonus.  Watford showed the quality that'll probably be needed to contest the top 2 / 4.

We need to keep beating the sides we are stronger than and figuring out a way to get points from those around us in the middle pack. 

We should have had a good go after lockdown last season but we didn't it just went back to safety first see the season out and give everybody a run. No excuse for that this season.

23 minutes ago, arbitro said:

Bloody hell Paul that's some pedestal you put yourself on.

Everyone has their opinions. There’s a lot worse things get said...Chaddy takes some ridiculous stuff from the usual suspects in here. The same people who from time to time will freely say stuff to others in, including me. It’s not my thing to get upset. It really doesn’t matter to me but I do like to engage them from time to time purely as a bit of sport. The adults roll with it quite well and we laugh it off in private messages or further down the line...interestingly the ‘usual suspects’ it would seem don’t like feeling uncomfortable or laughed at in the way they make others feel and therefore take hum bridge about my comments. You’ll see the ‘Kevin Costners’ in here jumping to the defence of their pals....but I see em pal...

I have explained this to you because I genuinely respect your point of view mate. You’re one of the good guys!! 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

Good post. Understandable giddiness from the usual suspects trying to score points but there's no evidence yet that we've eradicated our two main weaknesses from the last couple of seasons  1) shipping goals for fun away from home 2) being unable to break teams down at home who come and defend deep. 

I think with the likes of Elliot out wide and not Gally (and Douglas & a firing BB on the other side)  we can be hopeful that the creativity issue at Ewood can be resolved. Hopefully we learn to defend away from home. 

I broadly agree. Beating Coventry by 4 means little if you lose to Forest by 1. However, there have been plenty of games in the past against 10 men where we’ve failed to get a result.

The fact that we’re consistently pumping the teams that we ‘should’ be beating is a good sign. Very intrigued to see if we can dispatch a better team in the same manner soon. Elliott may well be the difference maker.

• Like 3

Bang on Crouching. I commented after the Cardiff/Forest matches that teams may start adopting a defensive approach against us at home too - as well as away - to nullify our threat on the break. Let’s hope it takes them a while longer to cotton on, however as you rightly say, finding a way to beat teams who adopt this approach is going to be key to deciding whether we can break into that top six.

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

We're tenth  by virtue of goal difference. Wycombe and Derby in relegation trouble, Coventry 10 men. Don't overegg the pud just yet.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, USABlue said:

Been seeing this comment quite a bit lately, what does it mean exactly.

It comes from cricket, in particular batsmen who score heavily when the pitch is "flat", ie not offering any assistance to the bowlers. The term was first used I think in reference to Graeme Hick, who used used to punish bowlers when the ball wasn't doing much but struggled when the ball seamed off the pitch or swung in the air.

"Flat track bullies" has since become a general sporting term for teams who pummel lesser opposition but lose against better ones.

At the moment, flat track bullies is a perfect way of describing Rovers. 

Edited by jim mk2
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Ossydave said:

Watford are an excellent team, even if we'd scored a third, they would have got a fourth and so on. They will win many many games by a 1 goal margin this season. Again look at the stats vs Bournemouth yesterday, completely dominated but unfortunately for them the cherries found a way through in the 96th minute. 

I see one of the Bournemouth players gave Sarr a " quietener " in the second minute of the game yesterday. He got a yellow card when later on in the game it would have been a red.

1 hour ago, Paul Mani said:

Careful Paul. You don’t want to start the “in the mix” debate again...

• Like 1