BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Watford could have put 5 past us! They picked us off at will on the counter - that isn’t ‘obliterating’ a team. Amazes me that you constantly try and flex your expert credentials, but lack the basic knowledge that football isn’t just about what you do going forward with the ball.

That will be the challenge this season when we go up against the better sides. Though the fact higher quality players are now being integrated into the team in holding/defensive areas will hopefully begin to negate it.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Tabula Rasa said:

The upcoming PNE game will be the yardstick for me. 

Those overachievers down the road have had the hex over us for some time now.

It's been hard to witness tbh. 

Beat them playing like we are at the moment and I'll start to truly believe. 

I so want us to stick it to that shower and out strongest lineup can do it.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

Do whatever makes you feel warm and fuzzy Josh. Jordan Rhodes is a world class finisher stuck in the body of a Dog and Duck, Sunday league footballer. I watched him play week in week out and other than when he scored his influence was non existent because the games were being played far beyond his level.

Be that as it may Rhodes at his peak was a far better and more consistent player than Armstrong. Maybe if AA manages to score 80 goals at better than one in two over several seasons in the Championship it might be possible to mention him in the same breath as Rhodes.

That said in either case if they were scoring in most games they should be one of the first names on the team sheet irrespective  of overall performance. At our level complaining about either is a bit like comparing Messi with Ronaldo and trying to find fault with one or the other relatively speaking.

Watford are an excellent team, even if we'd scored a third, they would have got a fourth and so on. They will win many many games by a 1 goal margin this season. Again look at the stats vs Bournemouth yesterday, completely dominated but unfortunately for them the cherries found a way through in the 96th minute. 

9 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Watford could have put 5 past us! They picked us off at will on the counter - that isn’t ‘obliterating’ a team. Amazes me that you constantly try and flex your expert credentials, but lack the basic knowledge that football isn’t just about what you do going forward with the ball.

That will be the challenge this season when we go up against the better sides. Though higher quality players now being integrated into the team in holding/defensive areas will hopefully begin to negate it.

"Anyone with football knowledge can see" ?

Pretentious? moi?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

A myth has been built fast around the Watford game and Foster. You all need to rewatch.

Foster did nothing that a Keeper of his ability and experience would not expect to do.

Indeed he failed badly on our goal and poor punching almost gifted us another goal.

And don't start with the anyone with football knowledge bullshit.

Watford never bothered to get out of 3rd gear and our possession tippy tappy has many fooled.

There were several Comms into our players / staff last week from players and staff at Watford saying they hadn’t even been dominated like that in many Prem games last season. The Watford manager was blown away apparently, it doesn’t surprise me that they mentioned us in their pre match programme notes as the best team they’ve faced. They know it was daylight robbery.

It’s a game of opinions but yeah, I’ll go with my own eyes and the subsequent opinions of people in the game who understand it. Their ‘bullshit’ smells a lot better than yours ??

There’s a lot of big clubs and teams taking notice now but let’s not get ahead of ourselves. It’s still early doors but if we carry on playing like this I’d expect a huge attempt to raid our assets from big spending Championship clubs like Watford and Bournemouth. I also believe a few of them will be playing in the Premier League next season, whether we are or not. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, J*B said:

...when the manager picks the right team. Here’s hoping we carry on starting the Douglas’ and Trybull’s rather than Bell and Evans. 

I think his choice of Elliott in the first game and then Elliott, Trybull and Douglas into the second are significant indicators that he sees them very much as first team regulars. Fingers crossed.

What was interesting yesterday was watching Douglas (who has more quality in his right swinger than Bell has in his entire body) but physically began to show signs of fatigue early in the second half. This is unsurprising because of the intensity that we played at but flies in the face of those who claimed a ‘Bielsa’ signing would have far higher levels than our players....either way, he definitely needs to build his fitness up.

4 hours ago, Mike E said:

I think it comes from cricket. Something to do with Batsmen scoring loads of runs when the pitch isn't any good for the bowler. Although I don't understand the reasons why a flat pitch wouldn't be good...

Graeme Hick was always referred to as a flat track bully. He used to hammer the bowling at county level but struggled for years against test quality bowling

1 minute ago, Paul Mani said:

I think his choice of Elliott in the first game and then Elliott, Trybull and Douglas into the second are significant indicators that he sees them very much as first team regulars. Fingers crossed.

What was interesting yesterday was watching Douglas (who has more quality in his right swinger than Bell has in his entire body) but physically began to show signs of fatigue early in the second half. This is unsurprising because of the intensity that we played at but flies in the face of those who claimed a ‘Bielsa’ signing would have far higher levels than our players....either way, he definitely needs to build his fitness up.

At last, something I totally agree with :rover:

I think but not sure that yesterday was his first start for a while so match fitness needs attention - by playing.

Beautiful left peg.

• Like 2

Just now, Paul Mani said:

In most cases the way we play means that Bell could come on after 60 minutes and do a job. The opposition will be tired from the high press and counter attack and, often, losing. If Douglas can play 60 mins every week I’ll be happy. 
The above is the same reason why IMO Buckley needs to go out on loan. Coming on after 60/70 minutes he looks the part. However he’s playing against tired teams that are losing. We’ve seen against Watford that when he starts he’s a weak point. Not his fault, he’s still young and doesn’t have his man strength. But I can’t see how he starts for us. I’m looking forward to eventually seeing: Travis Holtby Rothwell (or even Dack!). 

I'm shocked that some on this board seem irritated enough to put a negative spin on yesterday's result by emphasisng the defeat in the game before.

*sarcasm mode off* (Vladimir Ivic said Rovers are the best team Watford have played this season by the way)

Edited by O'Malley
  • Like 4

14 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

There were several Comms into our players / staff last week from players and staff at Watford saying they hadn’t even been dominated like that in many Prem games last season. The Watford manager was blown away apparently, it doesn’t surprise me that they mentioned us in their pre match programme notes as the best team they’ve faced. They know it was daylight robbery.

It’s a game of opinions but yeah, I’ll go with my own eyes and the subsequent opinions of people in the game who understand it. Their ‘bullshit’ smells a lot better than yours ??

There’s a lot of big clubs and teams taking notice now but let’s not get ahead of ourselves. It’s still early doors but if we carry on playing like this I’d expect a huge attempt to raid our assets from big spending Championship clubs like Watford and Bournemouth. I also believe a few of them will be playing in the Premier League next season, whether we are or not. 

For me the Cardiff & Forest games are more concerning than the Watford one - Watford will be right up there this season, if we finish above them I suspect we'll go up automatically. 

Yet against teams who came and sat deep with 10 men behind the ball we had no answers, and the more we go and score 4 & 5 at teams who have a go at us the more we'll face teams coming to shut up shop and we've never been able to crack this approach under Mowbray. 

Lots to be excited about but we're a way from expecting to finish in the top 6 for me. 

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

I think ‘occasionally patronising’ is better, but he deserved it. What’s it to you? Stick me on ignore fella.

I love it, my list grows daily ??

Bloody hell Paul that's some pedestal you put yourself on.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Tabula Rasa said:

The upcoming PNE game will be the yardstick for me. 

Those overachievers down the road have had the hex over us for some time now.

It's been hard to witness tbh. 

Beat them playing like we are at the moment and I'll start to truly believe. 

If we only paste one more team in the entire season please god let it be them. You want to see the moaning whinging and bashing their manager and players thats been going on with that lot.  Never ever think social media moaning is exclusive to Rovers that lot take first prize and always have.

Bunch of over inflated delusionists.

11 minutes ago, J*B said:

In most cases the way we play means that Bell could come on after 60 minutes and do a job. The opposition will be tired from the high press and counter attack and, often, losing. If Douglas can play 60 mins every week I’ll be happy. 
The above is the same reason why IMO Buckley needs to go out on loan. Coming on after 60/70 minutes he looks the part. However he’s playing against tired teams that are losing. We’ve seen against Watford that when he starts he’s a weak point. Not his fault, he’s still young and doesn’t have his man strength. But I can’t see how he starts for us. I’m looking forward to eventually seeing: Travis Holtby Rothwell (or even Dack!). 

Before yesterday I wouldn’t have said Buckley needs games elsewhere. But the surprise package is Johnson who I thought was a ‘6’ all day - sits in, breaks play up and dictates. Trybull, I believe was brought in to cover / replace him. Which would’ve left Bucko covering the two ‘8’s’ - high quality / energy players: Holtby and Rothwell. However, Johnson, it has turned out is better as an 8 than a 6. So when Rothwell is back I expect those three to fight for two spots...leaving Bucko behind them. Of course he’ll have chances but maybe they will let him go at Christmas when Trav gets back so he can play consistently? I wouldn’t have let him go this summer though.

I also think Dack might get played in there too...jeez we’ll have some attacking force when he gets back!

Just now, CrouchingNunhiddenCucumber said:

For me the Cardiff & Forest games are more concerning than the Watford one - Watford will be right up there this season, if we finish above them I suspect we'll go up automatically. 

Yet against teams who came and sat deep with 10 men behind the ball we had no answers, and the more we go and score 4 & 5 at teams who have a go at us the more we'll face teams coming to shut up shop and we've never been able to crack this approach under Mowbray. 

Lots to be excited about but we're a way from expecting to finish in the top 6 for me. 

Good post. Understandable giddiness from the usual suspects trying to score points but there's no evidence yet that we've eradicated our two main weaknesses from the last couple of seasons  1) shipping goals for fun away from home 2) being unable to break teams down at home who come and defend deep. 

I think with the likes of Elliot out wide and not Gally (and Douglas & a firing BB on the other side)  we can be hopeful that the creativity issue at Ewood can be resolved. Hopefully we learn to defend away from home. 

• Like 2

Maybe Watford did have 2 or 3 more gears to go up to, but isn't it a fact that we stopped them from being able to find those gears through the way we played? I don't know for sure as I only saw the last 40 mins due to ifollow issues, but the stats (besides the main one) back that theory up.

If you add that theory to the view of Watford's manager that we were the best team they've played, and Bournemouth's managers similar views as referred to on Quest last night, then it gains further credence. After all, they're not going to say those things publicly just to stroke our ego are they? 

Yes we need to be more clinical at both ends of the pitch (even yesterday we missed a hatful of chances before getting a 2nd; had they equalised it would have been much tougher) but to refer to us as having played poorly at Watford is way over critical IMO.

Edited by Atko's Engine
  • Like 1