Jump to content

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, islander200 said:

So that's an excuse to throw mindless abuse at a 19 year old lad who had no control of the size of his fee?Not in my book 

And I genuinely believe some posters would prefer to be proven right in their opinion of Brereton rather than see him come good.

Sure one poster was nearly jumping for joy when he played badly against Forest 

I cringed when I read that. Brereton has received huge sympathy and encouragement over 2 seasons from the fans.

Especially given his performances. If he's turning the corner now all Rovers fans are delighted.

Should never have been signed though at that time of need and with that fee. But, as you say, that's nothing to do with him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, islander200 said:

IV never said it was a majority.I was specifically replying to roversfan post where he says it's a myth that Brereton gets abuse.It does happen I have heard it and seen it more than once and not just from one group

Players up and down the country get 'abused'' Rovers fans are no different. BB was a target because he cost a lot of money and has been absolute bobbins fir 2 years. Not his fault he cost a lot of money but logic doesn't often come in to it at a football match when passions are running high. And TBF, I never heard any 'abuse' hurled at him at the ground. 

The change in BB has been incredible. I thought he would be perma-shite in a Rovers shirt and would slink off to possibly a half-decent career elsewhere. I was very wrong about him. The change in him has been remarkable, especially this season. Her needs to score more goals though if he wants to play in the Prem, which his all-round game now suggests he is capable of. 

Edited by Hoochie Bloochie Mama

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Mattyblue said:

That’s football fans, there will always be a minority of dickheads, I’ll tell you now he would not have got the level of good will he’s had here after being so poor for two years at a lot of other clubs - should be proud of our support.

Yes I am not arguing that the majority have been more than fair with him, they have.

My annoyance comes from people failing to give him any credit now he is actually doing well.Im not even arguing he is worth the 7 million he clearly isn't but I call a spade a spade and Brereton in the last couple of games been excellent and was at Derby too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, 47er said:

Just got this email from a mate of mine:

The last time the Rovers scored more than 16 in the first seven games of a season before this year was in the 1997-98 campaign when they knocked in 18, mainly because of 7 at home to Sheffield Wednesday. Chris Sutton scored 7 in the first 7 that year, a figure that Adam Armstrong has just equalled and other famous names also cracked in 7 in other previous seasons. These are Alan Shearer, Simon Garner, Andy McEvoy, Derek Dougan, Peter Dobing and Tommy Briggs but we have to go back to 1954-55 to find Eddie Quigley scoring 8 in the first 7 games. Roll on Tuesday against Reading when other notable performances may be achieved. 

 

If Armstrong had have put that penalty away in mid week he would be holding the record.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

That’s football fans, there will always be a minority of dickheads, I’ll tell you now he would not have got the level of goodwill he’s had here after being so poor for two years at a lot of other clubs - I’m proud of our support on that score.

I've never abused a player at a game. I don't see the point, it's hardly likely to make them play better. That's at a game, they have to be there , they don't have to come on here and read what people write on here . 

Getting back to the game. The fourth goal was a classic example of how effective wing play can be. We get in up the sideline, everybody is running back towards goal, The Coventry back four are looking out to where the danger is. Gallagher just stops running and lets all the Coventry defenders run away from him. A huge gap opens right in front of him and he can hardly miss. He's obviously learnt something about finding space but we needed to get their back four turned around and running back towards their own goal first. . More wing play please Rovers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I've never abused a player at a game. I

Ive only ever abused one person at the football.

Coyle away at Barnsley. Little dingle shyte

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In the great scheme of things does how much Brereton cost or how bad he was previously matter. He didn’t ask to be bought for that  amount so when did it become his responsibility. Has a club a lot of our spending has been farcical and the brereton fee if 100% true is minor.

If we where all measured and judged on what we did previously in our career there would be very few on here who could say yeah we have just been great. It’s about improving and without any doubt this lad has got his head down and worked and that in any walk of life should be applauded. 

I’ve watched every game and that kid is busting a gut for us and that shirt he has a great attitude and work ethos. The rovers crowd admire grafters players who give it  their all and he’s is one of them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

Players up and down the country get 'abused'' Rovers fans are no different. BB was a target because he cost a lot of money and has been absolute bobbins fir 2 years. Not his fault he cost a lot of money but logic doesn't often come in to it at a football match when passions are running high. And TBF, I never heard any 'abuse' hurled at him at the ground. 

The change in BB has been incredible. I thought he would be perma-shite in a Rovers shirt and would slink off to possibly a half-decent career elsewhere. I was very wrong about him. The change in him has been remarkable, especially this season. Her needs to score more goals though if he wants to play in the Prem, which his all-round game now suggests he is capable of. 

It makes you wonder if he had problems "settling in" leaving home parents and friends, new area, new workmates etc.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Ive only ever abused one person at the football.

Coyle away at Barnsley. Little dingle shyte

Kean against Wigan?

Gross dereliction of duty if you were there! :rock:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 47er said:

Just got this email from a mate of mine:

The last time the Rovers scored more than 16 in the first seven games of a season before this year was in the 1997-98 campaign when they knocked in 18, mainly because of 7 at home to Sheffield Wednesday. Chris Sutton scored 7 in the first 7 that year, a figure that Adam Armstrong has just equalled and other famous names also cracked in 7 in other previous seasons. These are Alan Shearer, Simon Garner, Andy McEvoy, Derek Dougan, Peter Dobing and Tommy Briggs but we have to go back to 1954-55 to find Eddie Quigley scoring 8 in the first 7 games. Roll on Tuesday against Reading when other notable performances may be achieved. 

 

Just looked back at those fixtures and remember them pretty well, Roy Hodgson's first 6 games as manager. We were tremendous to watch at the start of his tenure. 

Interestingly enough, 14 of those 18 goals came in the first halves of those matches. Remember being 4-3 down at home to Leeds at half time and it finished 4-3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 47er said:

Kean against Wigan?

Gross dereliction of duty if you were there! :rock:

Sorry 2, v Bolton Kean

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

Just looked back at those fixtures and remember them pretty well, Roy Hodgson's first 6 games as manager. We were tremendous to watch at the start of his tenure. 

Interestingly enough, 14 of those 18 goals came in the first halves of those matches. Remember being 4-3 down at home to Leeds at half time and it finished 4-3

An exception was an early game at Ewood v Everton where we were 0-2 down and came back to win 3-2!

But I accept what you're saying. It did look like we were going to make a real impression on the league that year but we got found out defensively. The wingers played higher up the pitch and the opposition filled the gap!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, 47er said:

I cringed when I read that. Brereton has received huge sympathy and encouragement over 2 seasons from the fans.

Especially given his performances. If he's turning the corner now all Rovers fans are delighted.

Should never have been signed though at that time of need and with that fee. But, as you say, that's nothing to do with him.

Huge sympathy?

You're kidding, right? The tuts and sighs around me in the JW whenever he did something that didn't come off are unbelievable.

For better or worse, Lancastrians are some of the most critical fans around.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, 47er said:

But I accept what you're saying. It did look like we were going to make a real impression on the league that year but we got found out defensively. The wingers played higher up the pitch and the opposition filled the gap!

We were 4 points from top spot after 24 games before falling away quite drastically. I think our full backs were asked to push 10/15 yards further up the pitch which resulted in the winger pushing further forward.

In December we won 3-1 away at Highbury after being 1-0 down at half time.

An Arsenal side that contained Seaman, Adams, Overmars, Platt, Petit, Wright, Bergkamp and Vieira.

They returned the compliment by putting four past us in the first half at Ewood later in the season. I remember it snowing in the second half and hoping for it to get called off 😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, LeftWinger said:

They returned the compliment by putting four past us in the first half at Ewood later in the season. I remember it snowing in the second half and hoping for it to get called off 😂

Was that when Anelka killed us? I was in the pub by half time expected even more.

I think we won the 2nd half...1-0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sponsor
Just now, Sparks Rover said:

Was that when Anelka killed us? I was in the pub by half time expected even more.

I think we won the 2nd half...1-0

That was the one. I was 14 at the time and went to McDonald's before the game and Damien Duff went through the drive through (he wasn't playing). Had a feeling it was going to be a rough evening when we saw the team sheet and no Sutton, Duff or Ripley in it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Huge sympathy?

You're kidding, right? The tuts and sighs around me in the JW whenever he did something that didn't come off are unbelievable.

For better or worse, Lancastrians are some of the most critical fans around.

So I take it after two years of really poor performances after a £7 million deal, he wouldn’t be receiving anything as vicious as ‘tuts’ and ‘sighs’ like the bear pits of Lancashire anywhere else?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Huge sympathy?

You're kidding, right? The tuts and sighs around me in the JW whenever he did something that didn't come off are unbelievable.

For better or worse, Lancastrians are some of the most critical fans around.

Didn't Jimmy Armfield say words to that effect specifically about Rovers fans?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, 47er said:

It makes you wonder if he had problems "settling in" leaving home parents and friends, new area, new workmates etc.

 

I think it's more to do with him being asked to do a job that he's actually capable of doing. IE pick the ball up higher up the pitch in midfield and run with it. If you look at that famous " highlights "  reel basically that was all it consisted of. I just think that if Dack was still fit and playing for us Brererton would still out on the wing or up front and looking lost. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Huge sympathy?

You're kidding, right? The tuts and sighs around me in the JW whenever he did something that didn't come off are unbelievable.

For better or worse, Lancastrians are some of the most critical fans around.

Are you including yourself as a Lancastrian? Have you never seen Mowbray with his hands on his head after one of his players has made a mistake. Now that is a public condemnation of a player.

With the benefit or having refereed on around 86 professional grounds in the country I can say that Rovers fans are no worse than anywhere else. It really grates when Rovers fans are critical of each other, often without foundation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

So I take it after two years of really poor performances after a £7 million deal, he wouldn’t be receiving anything as vicious as ‘tuts’ and ‘sighs’ like the bear pits of Lancashire anywhere else?

It was more than "tuts and sighs". Myself and a mate had to restrain his son from chinning a bloke at Bramhall Lane when he shouted some vile abuse at Brereton as he warmed up from the subs bench.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Again, of course there are a minority of dickheads. Especially away when folk have been on the piss all day. I’ve heard all kind of bollocks shouted out over the years. Social media is a modern example of it.

But, on the whole, BB has been well supported by the fanbase as he went through a really tough couple of years... amazed this is even a debate and people can’t separate a small number of idiots from a entire fanbase.

Edited by Mattyblue

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

The tuts and sighs around me in the JW whenever he did something that didn't come off are unbelievable.

Not 'tuts and sighs'? Oh the humanity!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Again, of course there are a minority of dickheads. Especially away when folk have been on the piss all day. I’ve heard all kind of bollocks shouted out over the years. Social media is a modern example of it.

But, on the whole, BB has been well supported by the fanbase as he went through a really tough couple of years... amazed this is even a debate and people can’t separate a small number of idiots from a entire fanbase.

Our own fans seem desperate to paint the whole fan base as a blood thirsty mob and I just cant get my head around it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Huge sympathy?

You're kidding, right? The tuts and sighs around me in the JW whenever he did something that didn't come off are unbelievable.

For better or worse, Lancastrians are some of the most critical fans around.

Nonsense----imo. He's had no more critical comment than any other Rover that has been utter crap. I've seen many Rovers players cop more for far less.

I have never booed or jeered a Rovers player in my life by the way.

However all he has to do is keep playing like he is now and he won't cop criticism from anyone, only praise.

The only exception might be some of those incredible misses he specialises in!

I really doubt any other fans would have been any different either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.