BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

27 minutes ago, O'Malley said:

It was more than "tuts and sighs". Myself and a mate had to restrain his son from chinning a bloke at Bramhall Lane when he shouted some vile abuse at Brereton as he warmed up from the subs bench.

You always get some idiot everywhere. I can remember one bloke standing up and screaming abuse at Dunn everytime he got the ball! At Ewood v Villa.

His face was purple and the veins on his neck stood out like rope. Unbelievable. It went on the whole game----which we won and Dunn scored!

Had the most beautiful blonde with him too. I remember thinking "what the hell does she see in him?"----a feeling I've often had by the way!!

• Like 2

Years ago I was watching a Rugby League game at the old Spotland stadium. Our opponents were a Yorkshire team who had the Fairbank brothers playing for them. Two farmers boys who were both a sandwich short of a picnic. They were punching everything in sight in the tackle and eventually the ref lost patience with one of them and sent him off. The tunnel at Rochdale then had sloping brick walls to about six feet high topped with iron railings. As he was coming off one of young lads I actually worked with ran over to the railings and started giving the player dogs abuse. He obviously thought he was safe behind the railings.

As the player was going down the tunnel he saw the lad who was abusing him, sprinted towards the tunnel wall and then leapt like Batman up to the railings. Within a split second he was face to face with the lad. The leap he made was unbelievable. The lad shat himself and ran off through the crowd to the cheers of the fans.

If you ever went to watch Bradford play Rugby League at the old Odsal ground you'd know the players got changed in changing rooms at the top of the ground and then walked down through the crowd onto the pitch ! Obviously at the end of the game they had to go back the same way, this could be interesting.

We had big prop who was well known for being a rough handful and he'd been putting himself about throughout the game. As he was making his way back up the hill a little old lady who was waiting  there with her husband started hitting him with an umbrella ! He said to the lady " If you don't stop hitting me with that umbrella I'm going to hit him ", pointing to her husband.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

1 hour ago, arbitro said:

Are you including yourself as a Lancastrian? Have you never seen Mowbray with his hands on his head after one of his players has made a mistake. Now that is a public condemnation of a player.

With the benefit or having refereed on around 86 professional grounds in the country I can say that Rovers fans are no worse than anywhere else. It really grates when Rovers fans are critical of each other, often without foundation.

In my posts I wasn't criticising all our fanbase, I was responding to a post where it was said it was a myth Brereton gets abuse, when it isn't ,it's a minority but it does happen iv heard it myself.

And on my other point that posters don't give him any credit when it's deserved, that is also true,it's in this thread.

48 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Our own fans seem desperate to paint the whole fan base as a blood thirsty mob and I just cant get my head around it.

Always been a strand of our support like this.

In the PL days you always used to hear ‘shit are Rovers fans’, ‘gates are poor’.

Even though we were the best supported club in the country by population, a town with challenging demographics of 100,000 with average crowds of 25,000. ‘Poor?’ It was fantastic support. But what chance do you have trying to negate Dingle nonsense like ‘not a football town, Blackburn’ when your own fans constantly belittle themselves.

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Our own fans seem desperate to paint the whole fan base as a blood thirsty mob and I just cant get my head around it.

Who is doing that?

If you are referring to me I wasn't painting that picture at all I was responding to you when you said that he doesn't get abuse.You have said many times it's a myth.

It is a minority but he does get it...like on here at times he doesn't get the credit he deserves 'its only Coventry playing against his level" "he has been useless this season" etc

1 minute ago, Mattyblue said:

Always been a strand of our support like this.

In the PL days you always used to hear ‘shit are Rovers fans’, ‘gates are poor’.

Even though we were the best supported club in the country by population, a town with challenging demographics of 100,000 with average crowds of 25,000. ‘Poor?’ It was fantastic support. But what chance do you have trying to negate Dingle nonsense like ‘not a football town, Blackburn’ when your own fans constantly belittle themselves.

We have a hard core group of brilliant support but 25,000?

Yes the Venkys have played their part but in my reckoning 10,000 upward of those support no longer go because we ain't playing in the top division any more,that isn't good support.

We get a man u or Liverpool in the cup and the stadium packed out,back to the nitty gritty of the championship and the figure is down to 11,000

The average crowds were 25,000. So at that time it was anything but ‘poor support’ from a town like Blackburn.

The Venky destruction since has nothing to do with the point I was making. Though crowds of 13,000 or so in recent years is fine considering the wrecking ball of the Kean era (we would not have lost so many ‘PL fans’ without that debacle, we didn’t in 1999-2001) and a decade of mediocrity, we’ve largely been in the bottom half of the Championship (and a year in the third division) for the last 5 years.

Edited by Mattyblue

Just now, Mattyblue said:

The average crowds were 25,000. So at that time it was anything but ‘poor support’ from a town like Blackburn.

The Venky destruction since has nothing to do with the point I was making. Though crowds of 13,000 or so in recent years is fine considering we’ve largely been in the bottom half of the Championship (and a year in the third division)

Who has said we have poor supporters?

Since it was one of my posts you replied to last night I presume you are saying I'm one of them.

I responded to a post that said it was a myth that Brereton gets abuse, I have heard it myself so just responded it wasn't a myth.

And the evidence is on this forum on my other point, Brereton failing to get any credit for the good things he has done.

You and roversfan are trying to paint a picture that me and others are having a go at the fanbase which isn't true,what I said was a fact he does get silly abuse from some sections.Iv seen on more than one occasion being blamed for losing the ball when it was someone else, Brereton wasn't even near the ball.

And he was getting it from nearly day one, he had played a part in no more than 2 games for us when he had "fans" jumping out of their seat to scream at Mowbray for bringing "that donkey on"

13 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Who is doing that?

If you are referring to me I wasn't painting that picture at all I was responding to you when you said that he doesn't get abuse.You have said many times it's a myth.

It is a minority but he does get it...like on here at times he doesn't get the credit he deserves 'its only Coventry playing against his level" "he has been useless this season" etc

You said: 

"just because you don't hear any Brereton abuse at the ground doesn't mean it doesn't exist...I have heard it myself from the people sitting behind me many many times "

That implies a higher degree of abuse than you're saying now. You've back-tracked. A minority it is, we can all agree on that.

Just now, 47er said:

You said: 

"just because you don't hear any Brereton abuse at the ground doesn't mean it doesn't exist...I have heard it myself from the people sitting behind me many many times "

That implies a higher degree of abuse than you're saying now. You've back-tracked. A minority it is, we can all agree on that.

I'm not back tracking I have heard it many times fella ,IV no reason to lie about it.

Brereton has often been called a useless donkey on here so your telling me it doesn't happen at the ground, yeah right.

And as for my other point about fans not giving credit when it is deserved,read this thread or the Watford thread and see for yourself

I’m talking generally, not particularly to you islander. But actually more towards the daft stuff I keep reading that makes out Rovers fans (and bizarrely Lancastrians specifically) are worse than anybody else.

It’s dead simple, come to any club for big money and be really poor for two years, you’ll get at least grumbling and a few dickheads being abusive and totally out of order. The difference is Rovers fans generally have been really supportive and it hasn’t *on the whole* got any stronger than grumbling, I’ve been surprised just how much we’ve been behind him, as it shows how the fanbase has mellowed in recent years and BB would have copped much worse at many other clubs.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 4

11 minutes ago, islander200 said:

I'm not back tracking I have heard it many times fella ,IV no reason to lie about it.

Brereton has often been called a useless donkey on here so your telling me it doesn't happen at the ground, yeah right.

And as for my other point about fans not giving credit when it is deserved,read this thread or the Watford thread and see for yourself

Well he has been a useless donkey for most of his time here hasn't he?

I've written "waste of money" several times and "we're starting with 10 men" but that's on here and I assume he's not reading it.

What's the problem?

Edited by 47er

Big difference between thinking BB was a poor signing and BB getting abused. I thought and still do that 7 mil for him back then was a bad transfer. He has been fantastic so far this season and I have always wanted him to do well. Never had anything personal against the lad, he didnt ask to be bought for that much and i feel he has been used wrongly.

Straight after the last result, i went to his thread to give him praise. Does that mean i think he has been a good signing overall, no.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, 47er said:

Well he has been a useless donkey for most of his time here hasn't he?

He has been poor but in my opinion he was mismanaged also.

He was the wrong signing to bring in, that 7 million should have been used on a proven player or 2 rather than a project.But im sensible enough to realise Brereton didn't place the price tag on his head, as far as I'm aware he has never come out saying he was worth that sort of money.

I just don't agree screaming at a 19 year old that he is a useless donkey etc is right.

And I was beyond annoyed after the Forest game to be met with a post from a fellow rovers fan gloating that Brereton had a shit game.I have often thought a rovers player has been shit but iv never ever been happy when he has had a poor game so I could be proven right . Even when he has 2 excellent performances in a row same poster gives no credit.

This season Brereton has been very good and he deserves credit for it

Edited by islander200
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, islander200 said:

In my posts I wasn't criticising all our fanbase, I was responding to a post where it was said it was a myth Brereton gets abuse, when it isn't ,it's a minority but it does happen iv heard it myself.

And on my other point that posters don't give him any credit when it's deserved, that is also true,it's in this thread.

Your term 'Lancastrians' was a generalisation, perhaps you should be more specific. I have been critical of many Rovers players over many years but critical of aspects of their play, not them as people. Anybody in the public eye is open to criticism, it goes with the territory and the majority accept that but going back to your original post Rovers fans as a collective are categorically no better or worse than supporters anywhere. To say otherwise is simply not true.

• Like 3

Just now, arbitro said:

Your term 'Lancastrians' was a generalisation, perhaps you should be more specific. I have been critical of many Rovers players over many years but critical of aspects of their play, not them as people. Anybody in the public eye is open to criticism, it goes with the territory and the majority accept that but going back to your original post Rovers fans as a collective are categorically no better or worse than supporters anywhere. To say otherwise is simply not true.

I never said Lancastrians you must be on about someone else?

I said I have heard Brereton getting abused at matches which I have.

I never said rovers fans collectively are worse than other supporters.?

Just now, islander200 said:

I never said Lancastrians you must be on about someone else?

I said I have heard Brereton getting abused at matches which I have.

I never said rovers fans collectively are worse than other supporters.?

Sorry my friend it was somebody else who said those things - I got your comments confused with theirs.

• Like 1

In the early years of the Prem I went to watch Rovers at QPR in a night match. The famous 'bloke behind me' was giving Mark Atkins totally undeserved dog's abuse all through - and then Atko scored. I couldn't help but say to him "Why are you cheering now?  You've been slagging him off all the game!" He came out with the old balls about having followed Rovers for years and therefore was entitled to verbally shit on anyone. It got me even more wound-up and I ended up having to be held back from having a pop by my neutral Glaswegian mate. (Most unlike mild-mannered Elvis's behaviour, I can assure you). Next day at work my mate, (who'd never been to a match with me until then) was telling everyone how 'He's a different bloke at the footy - Never seen anything like it - They score and then start fighting one another!" 

• Like 1

it happns, how many times on here have people said player X is having a stinker who then goes on to score in the next few minutes. That said, i dont agree with slagging players off in the stands - it hardly helps and is counterproductive. We have all tutted and put our heads in our hands but hurling abuse is for idiots.

I remember being in the away end for the Bolton game in 08 i think (Jason Roberts deflected winner). Someone near us was giving Roberts all kinds of abuse when he came on (he wasn't the only one either). He ended up apologising to every one at the end when Roberts scored the winner creating wild celebrations

1 hour ago, BRFC4EVA said:

I remember being in the away end for the Bolton game in 08 i think (Jason Roberts deflected winner). Someone near us was giving Roberts all kinds of abuse when he came on (he wasn't the only one either). He ended up apologising to every one at the end when Roberts scored the winner creating wild celebrations

Was that the game were he shinned in the winning goal from the edge of the penalty area ?  Great connection.