BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers vs Reading at Virtual Ewood

1 hour ago, arbitro said:

There are several teams in the Championship who are happy to let their opponents have the majority of possession in certain areas and then squeeze play when they advance. I remember in the October of our promotion season when we had a few home draws despite dominating all the statistics. Mowbray said after one of these that we have to find a way of playing against and beating these teams. I don't believe that he has consistently found that way yet. For that reason I think he should just set us up to play exactly the way we have in most games this season. Intensity, high press and good shape has stood us in good stead so far so we should just impose that style on opponents in every game. These qualities were lacking for me against Forest and Cardiff and we allowed them to impose their defensive style on us.

With Forest in particular the abstractions were the biggest problem. Our flow was massively interrupted. We had chances against Cardiff and because we didn’t take them they never had to come at us....the extra quality HAS to change that for us.

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Have you seen much of Reading and how they play tactical and formation wise?

I set myself up an account just to answer that question(yes we did genuinely used to be known as the biscuitmen rather than the royals)

Our preferred tactic is 4231 but the formation does change in game depending on how we’re doing, for example we got Laurent to sit deeper than Semedo and Rinomhota on Saturday so we became some sort of wide 433. 

We’re very much a counter attacking side who look to frustrate the opposition by allowing them to have plenty of possession. Laurent and Rinomhota sit just in front of our defence and they essentially fill in any gaps that open up(otherwise press the man on the ball) to restrict opponents to half chances and frustrated players taking long shots. This allows one of our fullbacks to push forward and not worry too much about losing the ball, even though both Esteves and Richards are fairly quick themselves so can track back well. Rafael hasn’t really been tested in any of our games although he has proven to be reliable whenever called upon I expect he will be tested on Tuesday. 

Attacking wise we are not particularly good. We try to counter but it’s normally given away straight away especially if someone presses us(we initially struggled to get going against Barnsley and Rotherham because of that). For some reason, we are ridiculously clinical at the moment and there’s question marks over whether that is sustainable. A lot of our goals come from us punishing a defensive mistake from a set piece in particular or these horrible long balls that defences seem to struggle to deal with. We are a quick and physically strong side. Paunovic is still trying to find the answer- he’s only been in the job for two months. 

I do think each of Norwich, Blackburn and Brentford will be a good test to see how good we are defensively, we’ve not really faced anyone with a particularly good attack. We haven’t trialed for a second in the league this season, so if you manage to get an early goal it would be a good test to see what we’re made of. 

Edited by Biscuitman
  • Like 9

12 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

With Forest in particular the abstractions were the biggest problem. Our flow was massively interrupted. We had chances against Cardiff and because we didn’t take them they never had to come at us....the extra quality HAS to change that for us.

Against Forest I thought the lack of a press and any intensity was the marked difference and whilst there were changes I thought Mowbray factored this into his tactics. As a result we looked flat and certainly played too deep. Just looking at the recently promoted clubs out of the Championship they had a defined system and way of playing, hardly ever deviating from this. It's an area of weakness in Mowbray in my opinion. He has been critical of himself several times for over thinking things. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Biscuitman said:

I set myself up an account just to answer that question(yes we did genuinely used to be known as the biscuitmen rather than the royals)

Our preferred tactic is 4231 but the formation does change in game depending on how we’re doing, for example we got Laurent to sit deeper than Semedo and Rinomhota on Saturday so we became some sort of wide 433. 

We’re very much a counter attacking side who look to frustrate the opposition by allowing them to have plenty of possession. Laurent and Rinomhota sit just in front of our defence and they essentially fill in any gaps that open up(otherwise press the man on the ball) to restrict opponents to half chances and frustrated players taking long shots. This allows one of our fullbacks to push forward and not worry too much about losing the ball, even though both Esteves and Richards are fairly quick themselves so can track back well. Rafael hasn’t really been tested in any of our games although he has proven to be reliable whenever called upon I expect he will be tested on Tuesday. 

Attacking wise we are not particularly good. We try to counter but it’s normally given away straight away especially if someone presses us(we initially struggled to get going against Barnsley and Rotherham because of that). For some reason, we are ridiculously clinical at the moment and there’s question marks over whether that is sustainable. A lot of our goals come from us punishing a defensive mistake from a set piece in particular or these horrible long balls that defences seem to struggle to deal with. We are a quick and physically strong side. Paunovic is still trying to find the answer- he’s only been in the job for two months. 

I do think each of Norwich, Blackburn and Brentford will be a good test to see how good we are defensively, we’ve not really faced anyone with a particularly good attack. We haven’t trialed for a second in the league this season, so if you manage to get an early goal it would be a good test to see what we’re made of. 

Sorry my phone went a bit mad ,  no beef  with reading and some fond memories of shaka in that giant yellow shirt . Reading doing well is another example for me of why football is so different , no pressure on teams . It is a good test for us we have hammered the likes of Cov and Wycombe but when we have faced teams with something about them , eg Watford defensive resilience or forest sorted out with a new  manager we have been toothless 

5 minutes ago, Inglorious basturk said:

Sorry my phone went a bit mad ,  no beef  with reading and some fond memories of shaka in that giant yellow shirt . Reading doing well is another example for me of why football is so different , no pressure on teams . It is a good test for us we have hammered the likes of Cov and Wycombe but when we have faced teams with something about them , eg Watford defensive resilience or forest sorted out with a new  manager we have been toothless 

Not to worry, it is very unlike us to start well we’ve equaled/broken all sorts of club records, so I’m just enjoying the ride for now as I don’t expect us to keep this up- conceding one goal in 7 games is nuts. From what I gather you played really well against Watford just Ben Foster had a brilliant game. If that’s the sort of standard you’re setting over the season we are definitely in for a difficult night. 

24 minutes ago, Biscuitman said:

Thanks for joining the website. 

what your view on your new manager/head coach and the structure behind him? is there a sporting director in charge of signings there? 

What was your view of Mark Bowen going and who made that decision?

8 minutes ago, Biscuitman said:

Not to worry, it is very unlike us to start well we’ve equaled/broken all sorts of club records, so I’m just enjoying the ride for now as I don’t expect us to keep this up- conceding one goal in 7 games is nuts. From what I gather you played really well against Watford just Ben Foster had a brilliant game. If that’s the sort of standard you’re setting over the season we are definitely in for a difficult night. 

He played ok but Armstrong is so cavalier in front of goal .... if Douglas and trybull have forced their way in we have a chance ... kaminski being injured is an issue ... he’s been solid , pears is ok and I know nothing of the Greek lad 

1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

Thanks for joining the website. 

what your view on your new manager/head coach and the structure behind him? is there a sporting director in charge of signings there? 

What was your view of Mark Bowen going and who made that decision?

I don’t have a strong opinion on Paunovic at the moment, it’s early days. I’m impressed by how he comes across in interviews, his game management and the players seem to love him despite the fact he demands a lot work ethic wise from them. No sporting director at the mo but our owners are unfortunately advised by Kia- although our signings seemed to be what Paunovic wanted and he doesn’t want any more signings at the moment so that is a good sign. Not much to say on our structure otherwise.

Bowen going ironically got the same reaction as when he arrived, it seemed absolutely nuts to change your manager weeks before the season started when our new manager had just one week to prepare after quarantine finished. I do think it was the owners wanting a better manager so we could gamble with FFP(the EFL wouldn’t let us thankfully). Appointing Paunovic himself got a similar reaction, but it’s since come through that Bowen was a very divisive figure behind the signs- fell out with the club captain(Liam Moore) and got his son who was amongst our coaching staff off furlough first so I’m glad Bowen went in the end. Even more so because our club captain has gone back to his brilliant best after two poor seasons. 

11 minutes ago, Biscuitman said:

From what I gather you played really well against Watford just Ben Foster had a brilliant game. If that’s the sort of standard you’re setting over the season we are definitely in for a difficult night. 

Yes Foster did. Watford head coach said we were the best team they had faced. We should have at least a point there

Just now, Biscuitman said:

I don’t have a strong opinion on Paunovic at the moment, it’s early days. I’m impressed by how he comes across in interviews, his game management and the players seem to love him despite the fact he demands a lot work ethic wise from them. No sporting director at the mo but our owners are unfortunately advised by Kia- although our signings seemed to be what Paunovic wanted and he doesn’t want any more signings at the moment so that is a good sign. Not much to say on our structure otherwise.

Bowen going ironically got the same reaction as when he arrived, it seemed absolutely nuts to change your manager weeks before the season started when our new manager had just one week to prepare after quarantine finished. I do think it was the owners wanting a better manager so we could gamble with FFP(the EFL wouldn’t let us thankfully). Appointing Paunovic himself got a similar reaction, but it’s since come through that Bowen was a very divisive figure behind the signs- fell out with the club captain(Liam Moore) and got his son who was amongst our coaching staff off furlough first so I’m glad Bowen went in the end. Even more so because our club captain has gone back to his brilliant best after two poor seasons. 

thanks for the reply. Is Paunovic a client of Kia?

is Eddie Niedzwiecki still there?

Reading make a perfect challenge for us. A side really in form and well above us who we need to make ground on, yet also a side who will allow us to try and break them down. Win and it is a sign of progression, fail to and it adds further concern. Lets hop we get a win which will be very welcome.

And give me frustrated managers slagging us off being bitter after weve taken 3 points over victorious ones praising our style after winning by 2 clear goals any day! 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

thanks for the reply. Is Paunovic a client of Kia?

is Eddie Niedzwiecki still there?

Don’t know, but you’d think they’d be somewhat linked because at the time he was a failed MLS manager. Eddie is still here yes, was widely thought to be leaving initially. 

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

How's was the meal, bottle of red and the hangover? 

I agree on letting them worry about us approach

TBH, last night was a bit of a blur from ten onwards though certainly good before!  A full English this morning and a ten miler (walk!) cured any remnants of a hangover. 

To me, we've got our two most difficult away games out of the way now (Bournemouth and Watford) and we should go out every game with the intention of mullering the opposition.  We have nothing to fear and we have players who must give opposition managers nightmares.  All Mowbray needs to do is to ensure he doesn't try to ram square pegs in round holes and let the lads off the leash - fear kills more dreams than failure ever will!

Edited by Mercer
  • Like 1

i expect reading to come here and do a cardiff/forest style defensive set up,depends if we can adapt to it,grab 3 points on tuesday and get set for a really difficult game next saturday against swansea,it`s another test for us to see if we can hang with the better sides in the division,sooner or later we are going to have to put together an unbeaten run if the play offs are to happen,manage to win while playing badly and we`ve cracked it

1 minute ago, simongarnerisgod said:

i expect reading to come here and do a cardiff/forest style defensive set up,depends if we can adapt to it,grab 3 points on tuesday and get set for a really difficult game next saturday against swansea,it`s another test for us to see if we can hang with the better sides in the division,sooner or later we are going to have to put together an unbeaten run if the play offs are to happen,manage to win while playing badly and we`ve cracked it

As the great Bill Shankly said:

"Aim for the sky and you'll reach the ceiling. Aim for the ceiling and you'll stay on the floor".

Our aim has to be top 2 - who the feck wants to finish 3rd, 4th, 5th or 6th and still be in the Championship next season.

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, Mercer said:

TBH, last night was a bit of a blur from ten onwards though certainly good before!  A full English this morning and a ten miler (walk!) cured any remnants of a hangover. 

To me, we've got our two most difficult away games out of the way now (Bournemouth and Watford) and we should go out every game with the intention of mullering the opposition.  We have nothing to fear and we have players who must give opposition managers nightmares.  All Mowbray needs to do is to ensure he doesn't try to ram square pegs in round holes and let the lads off the leash - fear kills more dreams than failure ever will!

haha. Sounds good Mercer. 

I enjoyed my Gammon, Eggs, chips and beans last night. Plus my full English. Always tasting better a good win. 

I agree on the 2 most difficult away out of the way. 

Mowbray needs to stick this formation and style even when Dack is back cos it will work and get us top 6 this season

19 minutes ago, Mercer said:

As the great Bill Shankly said:

"Aim for the sky and you'll reach the ceiling. Aim for the ceiling and you'll stay on the floor".

Our aim has to be top 2 - who the feck wants to finish 3rd, 4th, 5th or 6th and still be in the Championship next season.

lol,if you think we are good enough to go up automatically then fair play to you,just cut down on the funny smelling cigarettes

Sounds like this is the type of game we struggle in. Reading Biscuitman's posts it seems they like to keep it tight and hit teams on the break, affording their opponents the majorityof possession, whilst also looking  to set pieces as a way to punish teams.

Things we have struggled with under Mowbray since he took over.

Its going to be a tough test but one we really need to pass if we are looking towards the top of the table.

This will not be an easy game. Reading will be like Watford, rather than Forest or Cardiff. Let's see if we can kick on but I think it's very much a case of us struggling to break down teams at home.

I see no reason why Douglas and JRC haven't earned another start. Williams has to play over Ayala as well for now IMO. 

Perhaps we could see Joe Rothwell back in place of a Bradley Johnson, but if not then I don't think we need any changes. Good game for Pears to show us what he's all about, but not too stressed about him, get the attacking stuff right has got to be the main priority on Tuesday.

2 hours ago, Biscuitman said:

We’re very much a counter attacking side who look to frustrate the opposition by allowing them to have plenty of possession. Laurent and Rinomhota sit just in front of our defence and they essentially fill in any gaps that open up

Away win.

BTW, what's your favourite biscuit?

Love that book on Robin Friday. 

Edited by Hoochie Bloochie Mama