BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers vs Reading at Virtual Ewood

One thing that biscuitman pointed out is that Reading haven’t played anyone with the strike force and quality we appear to have and in that basis I don’t think they will come to Ewood looking to concede too much possession after all if Rovers score 4 from 21 shots on goal by the same ratio reading might well concede a hatful. I agree that the first goal of scored by rovers will be a test for them as they might not just know how to respond to going behind. As for TM he only intimated slight squad changes so in my view I don’t see a major change to Saturday 

1 hour ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

What's the lowdown then Joe? Are they as expected going to sit deep and defend and rely on their quality forwards to get them something? 

They’ve had the least shots in the entire division in 2020/21 yet sit comfortably top of the table. Their strikers are simply clinical, given an inch they take two miles.

We need to be organised, stick to a game plan and not make silly mistakes. Defending set pieces is going to be crucial as their defensive duo are a huge threat at corners and such.

There’ll be a big reliance on quality service from out wide, and I wouldn’t be surprised if Armstrong seems isolated behind two banks of Reading men.

This game has a similar feel as the Watford match. We'll  see large amounts of possession. We'll keep recycling left to right... right to left. We'll get chances - remains to be seen whether we'll take them when presented.

Reading will be confident. We will be confident. Should be a decent game. Really enjoying how much I'm saying that this season. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, JoeH said:

They’ve had the least shots in the entire division in 2020/21 yet sit comfortably top of the table. Their strikers are simply clinical, given an inch they take two miles.

We need to be organised, stick to a game plan and not make silly mistakes. Defending set pieces is going to be crucial as their defensive duo are a huge threat at corners and such.

There’ll be a big reliance on quality service from out wide, and I wouldn’t be surprised if Armstrong seems isolated behind two banks of Reading men.

Two telling sets of stats. Reading have had 51 shots, 25 on target and 11 goals for and 1 against. We have 125 shots, 52 on target and 16 goals for and 7 against.

38 minutes ago, only2garners said:

Two telling sets of stats. Reading have had 51 shots, 25 on target and 11 goals for and 1 against. We have 125 shots, 52 on target and 16 goals for and 7 against.

On the other side:

We've conceded 25 shots on target, 37 off target and conceded 6 goals.

They've conceded 16 shots on target, 31 off target and conceded 1 goal.

Also a couple of direct results for comparison:

Derby 0 Rovers 4; Derby 0 Reading 2

Rovers 0 Cardiff 0; Cardiff 1 Reading 2

Watford 3 Rovers 1; Reading 1 Watford 0

Rovers 5 Wycombe 0; Reading 1 Wycombe 0 (Wycombe had 10 shots to Reading's 5)

We could do with an early break through to open the game up otherwise we might struggle to break them down.

Edited by LeftWinger
  • Like 3

The preview I wrote for the local rag.

When : Tuesday 27th October 2020, 7.45pm
Where : Ewood Park, Blackburn, Lancashire, BB2 4JF
Capacity : 31,367

Midweek. Away. Blackburn Rovers. Three good reasons to just pretend this game just doesn’t exist in the fixture list and jump straight to Friday’s exchange of pleasantries with Coventry. Why? Well not only is Reading’s record at Ewood rather less than impressive but mainly because Reading’s midweek (ie games played on a Tuesday or Wednesday evening) away league form is somewhat akin to something very cr@ppy indeed having a cr@ppy cr@p attack on the way to cr@psville. Reading have basically amassed a massive total of zero away wins in the league in midweek games in the last 2.5 years. In addition only 2 games have been won since a 4-2 win at Leeds on 11 March 2014, which is now a woeful run of 2 out of 36 games.

Then there’s Blackburn themselves, a useful squad that is well organised and one more then capable of turning sides over as Wycombe, Derby and Coventry have already found out by shipping 13 goals to them without reply. And if Reading go to Ewood and do yet another sit back and do nothing for the opening half an hour it may be inviting a very serious problem.

The biggest threat on offer to Reading will be Blackburn striker Adam Armstrong who has already grabbed 7 goals in 7 appearances which is 4 more than the next highest scorer Bradley Johnson. Also ones to very carefully watch will be on loan Harvey Elliott and Lewis Holtby. Their last starting XI for the 4-0 trashing of Coventry was Kaminski, Rankin-Costello, Lenihan, Williams, Douglas, Trybull, Johnson, Holtby, Elliott, Armstrong and Brereton though that score may have flattered slightly as Coventry were down to 10 after only a quarter of an hour.

Daniel Ayala is likely to miss the game with a groin problem while Reading remain without Yiadom, Swift, Araruna and Baldock.

Think I can safely say now this is one game we’d all happily take a point from now if it was offered.

Referee

David “thank god there’s no VAR” Coote

Previously

22 Jul 20 > Reading 1-4 Swansea City
07 July 20 > Reading 0-0 Huddersfield Town
05 October 19 > Bristol City 1-0 Reading
13 April 19 > Reading 2-1 Brentford
13 Feb 19 > Reading 2-1 Blackburn Rovers
22 Dec 2018 > Reading 0-1 Middlesbrough
14 Apr 2018 > Reading 2-2 Sunderland
27 Feb 2018 > Nottm Forest 1-1 Reading
11 Dec 2017 > Reading 2-2 Cardiff City
23 Sep 2017 > Reading 1-1 Hull City
26 Aug 2017 > Birmingham City 0-2 Reading
24 Jan 2017 > Reading 1-0 Fulham
15 Oct 2016 > Queen's Park Rangers 1-1 Reading
15 Mar 2016 > Brighton & Hove Albion 1-0 Reading
23 Jan 2016 > Reading 1-1 Sheffield Wednesday
19 Sep 2015 > Bristol City 0-2 Reading
25 Mar 2014 > Reading 1-3 Barnsley

Historically

As with most trips up north Reading do not have a very impressive record. At Ewood Park there is just the one win to show from the eleven previous league visits.

The last 5 visits to Blackburn have seen 4 Reading points, no clean sheets for either side and 24 goals shared between the teams (14-10 to Blackburn).

The full league record there is played 11 won 1, drawn 5, lost 5, for 18, against 26

How to follow the game

1. Should be on the red button from around 19:40
  2. Listen to Radio 5 Live and/or a myriad of other radio stations for score flashes
  3. Ring/text a mate for updates
  4. Use an iFollow subscription
  5. BBC Radio Berkshire (FM : 104.4, 104.1 or 95.4 depending where you are in the area)
  • Like 8

28 minutes ago, R1871 said:

Midweek. Away. Blackburn Rovers. Three good reasons to just pretend this game just doesn’t exist in the fixture list and jump straight to Friday’s exchange of pleasantries with Coventry. Why? Well not only is Reading’s record at Ewood rather less than impressive but mainly because Reading’s midweek (ie games played on a Tuesday or Wednesday evening) away league form is somewhat akin to something very cr@ppy indeed having a cr@ppy cr@p attack on the way to cr@psville. Reading have basically amassed a massive total of zero away wins in the league in midweek games in the last 2.5 years. In addition only 2 games have been won since a 4-2 win at Leeds on 11 March 2014, which is now a woeful run of 2 out of 36 games.

Then there’s Blackburn themselves, a useful squad that is well organised and one more then capable of turning sides over as Wycombe, Derby and Coventry have already found out by shipping 13 goals to them without reply. And if Reading go to Ewood and do yet another sit back and do nothing for the opening half an hour it may be inviting a very serious problem.

The biggest threat on offer to Reading will be Blackburn striker Adam Armstrong who has already grabbed 7 goals in 7 appearances which is 4 more than the next highest scorer Bradley Johnson. Also ones to very carefully watch will be on loan Harvey Elliott and Lewis Holtby. Their last starting XI for the 4-0 trashing of Coventry was Kaminski, Rankin-Costello, Lenihan, Williams, Douglas, Trybull, Johnson, Holtby, Elliott, Armstrong and Brereton though that score may have flattered slightly as Coventry were down to 10 after only a quarter of an hour.

Daniel Ayala is likely to miss the game with a groin problem while Reading remain without Yiadom, Swift, Araruna and Baldock.

Think I can safely say now this is one game we’d all happily take a point from now if it was offered.

Referee

Previously

Historically

As with most trips up north Reading do not have a very impressive record. At Ewood Park there is just the one win to show from the eleven previous league visits.

The last 5 visits to Blackburn have seen 4 Reading points, no clean sheets for either side and 24 goals shared between the teams (14-10 to Blackburn).

The full league record there is played 11 won 1, drawn 5, lost 5, for 18, against 26

How to follow the game

2. Listen to Radio 5 Live and/or a myriad of other radio stations for score flashes
  5. BBC Radio Berkshire (FM : 104.4, 104.1 or 95.4 depending where you are in the area)

Many thanks - an interesting read and akin to many that have been penned on here in anticipation of away fixtures in recent times. The good news (for your lot!) is that Rovers seem to have a weird fascination for ending other clubs' barren runs - the fact that you bemoan a long such stretch in Reading's case give me a bad case of 'oh feck!' 

Best case is that football wins on the night, with the spoils going to the team most able to continue their recent good form (Reading's is more consistent than Rovers :() 

Worst case is that neither manager wants to take any risks and the resultant fare is an advert for daytime telly instead. Good luck in either case!

giphy.gif

WIR

Edited by WIR Second Coming

4 hours ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

What's the lowdown then Joe? Are they as expected going to sit deep and defend and rely on their quality forwards to get them something? 

I expect them to be expansive. Like Forest were.

Edited by JacknOry
  • Like 4

15 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

reading will approach the match like cardiff and forest but tony will be ready with a revolutionary new tactic to counter the massed defence

Obviously most important thing is a win, but if we do lose or draw it would be good to come out feeling we saw a semblance of a plan for handling a massed defence.

I reckon we will probably play 10-15 more games against teams who want to sit deep and counter. So having a solution to this conundrum is going to play a big role in whether we get top six or not.

It would be great to have a Gestede sort we could wheel out if the oppo are camped on the edge of their box and scare the hell out of them.

3 hours ago, R1871 said:

Referee

Previously

Historically

How to follow the game

What's that full kit w****r up to, who sits just to the right of the away fans at the Reading Stadium ?(unsure what it's called these days)

He looks a real knob!

Fair play to you coming on here and giving an alternative, objective view from the opposition. It's a refreshing approach.

Enjoy the game and hope you have a miserable evening.

COYB!! (The proper blues with a history!)

Hope you enjoy the game but are miserable as sin afterwards

38 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

Obviously most important thing is a win, but if we do lose or draw it would be good to come out feeling we saw a semblance of a plan for handling a massed defence.

I reckon we will probably play 10-15 more games against teams who want to sit deep and counter. So having a solution to this conundrum is going to play a big role in whether we get top six or not.

It would be great to have a Gestede sort we could wheel out if the oppo are camped on the edge of their box and scare the hell out of them.

well we have got gallagher to stick up there,granted he`s nowhere near gestede in the heading dept,but he`s big enough to create some chaos,not likely to happen as tony`s cunning plan to convert him into jairzinho is still ongoing

A classic "must score first" scenario this one. If we don't it could be a long night,; they've beaten Cardiff & Watford in their run to 1st place so cant be taken lightly. Despite the suggestion they've been lucky, there must be more to it than that; their performance here last season & their 2nd goal on Sat show there's no shortage of ability there, and we know what Joao can do if motivated.

That said, I believe we have enough to give them defensive nightmares. It's imperative that we get off to a strong start, front foot from the off, high press, incisive penetrating balls forward through the lines, let BB & Elliot run at 'em and draw the fouls for Holtby & Douglas set pieces. We have many more options than we used to and must utilise them from the first whistle. 

Personnel-wise I would keep it as close to the Cov starting 11. Hope Kaminski is ok as I know little about Pears (not a criticism, just better the devil you know). If Ayala is deemed fit I would leave him on the bench for now as Lenihan & Williams did nothing wrong & play well together.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, joey_big_nose said:

Wouldn’t have minded picking up Kieffer Moore from Wigan. He went to Cardiff and won everything when we played them a few weeks ago, proper big lump ideal for when you need to go a bit more direct. 

Edited by Butty
  • Like 3

Big game in our Texan family.

Our son got his Master’s at Reading, so he likes Royals well enough. But, he’s a huge Liverpool fan, so he loves Harv Elliott, and will be pulling for Elliott to do well. 

I attended the game at Reading last Sept., which was a Rovers win, with Armstrong & Dack each getting a goal. No Dack this time, but I fancy the rest of the squad is improved. 
A 2-1 win this time would be most excellent. 

• Like 2

Really looking forwards to this test.

I know it is very early in the season but even if dreams come true and we smash them tonight, Reading will still have a league position we can only fantasise about.

Don't know what to expect. Surely the league leaders are not going to come to Ewood and try to shut up shop like a team in 24th would?

50 minutes ago, philipl said:

Really looking forwards to this test.

I know it is very early in the season but even if dreams come true and we smash them tonight, Reading will still have a league position we can only fantasise about.

Don't know what to expect. Surely the league leaders are not going to come to Ewood and try to shut up shop like a team in 24th would?

Think all Rovers' fans are looking forward to this test - are we going to be pretenders or the real deal this season?

I don't think Reading will shut up shop.

I think there will be plenty of goals - we've shown we can create and score plenty but I am not quite sure that there is sufficient familiarity or understanding yet in our 'new' defensive unit to prevent other teams (particularly the good ones like Bournemouth, Watford and perhaps Reading) from notching at least once.

I expect us to edge this by the odd goal tonight and I am sticking with my 3-2 forecast in what I think will turn out to be a bit of a thriller.  

• Like 2