BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers vs Reading at Virtual Ewood

We need to score early on or it may well be a long and disappointing night. IF we do though we should win comfortably, I think some people are talking Reading up a bit too much, yes they've had some good results and rightly top of the league this far, but I look at their squad and think there probably 1 or 2 players I'd take off them that's it.

• Like 2

After seeing those stats above Reading have zero midweek away wins in 2.5 seasons with only 2 wins from 36. At ewood reading have played 11 won 1. It’s not the top of the league and conceded one that’s worries me it’s that bit. Rovers have always had a pathological desire to end any clubs winless runs. No away wins for 2 and a half seasons who you gonna call....ROVERS. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, philipl said:

Really looking forwards to this test.

I know it is very early in the season but even if dreams come true and we smash them tonight, Reading will still have a league position we can only fantasise about.

Don't know what to expect. Surely the league leaders are not going to come to Ewood and try to shut up shop like a team in 24th would?

It’ll be interesting to see their approach. Their top of the table so surely want to keep picking up wins and won’t just sit back, but they’ll obviously be wary we are the top scoring team in the division right now.

I think this game will play to our strengths and we have nothing to fear. I’m predicting a win.

I’d stick with the same 11 providing there’s no players with fitness/injury issues. Ayala in for Lenihan would be the only change I’d like TM to make. 

An excellent test of our promotion chasing credentials. Reading are a decent side, doing very well so it will be a challenge. However as others have said they seem to be performing above their ability and it isn't a team to massively fear. So not an easy game but one which is winnable, and will say s lot about how serious we are for a promotion push. 

Personally predicting a draw, as we are a decent side and just as good on paper, but not good enough I think to beat the divisions in form team. 

Nothing to fear and an early rovers goal could lead to one of those games like the Coventry, Wycombe, Derby etc. 
However I fully expect it to be a night of frustration where the first half is one of those way to familiar 0-0s at half time of last season, cautious, cagey, boring. We all remember them.

The second half will be More entertaining but equally as frustrating culminating in 0-0 score line. 

Paying viewers you’ve been warned ?

Rovers sitting top of the xG table, with Reading mid-table. It's unsustainable for them to continue as they are (1 shot on target at home vs Wycombe). I'm expecting us to dominate possession and with Holtby playing I think we will create the chances to win this comfortably 

• Like 1

I don't think Reading are going to be walkovers like Cov, Derby and Wycombe. They've obviously got something about them and defend well. We don't really attack well at home (League 2 Wycombe aside). I expect a cagey game where they sit deep and we have to force the issue/be creative. We're shit in those types of games sadly. 

2 hours ago, Tabula Rasa said:

Slightly related to the virtual match day theme, Times Radio this morning reporting that WBA vs Burnley last week on pay per view managed to attract 74 paying fans.

Is that because of the price boycott or just lack of enthusiasm.

Be interesting to see what kind of virtual viewing figures For Rovers matches? Particularly how many are going for the match pass rather than those with season passes.

37 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Kaminski not fit.  Pears set to come in....?

Not what the LT article says this morning. Mogga still hopeful Kaminski will be fit. Unless you've heard more recent news?

Mogga:-

“It’s a very minor injury, if it is an injury.

“We’ll have to decide whether we want to take the chance with him or whether it’s a chance for Aynsley to play between the sticks.

“I know what my preference would be and that’s to keep Thomas going. He’s had four clean sheets in seven games so we’ll see after training"

Edited by Hoochie Bloochie Mama

How to convince the wife to let me watch Rovers vs Reading on our wedding anniversary... I mean it's hard enough on a normal day let alone on our anniversary when we're playing Reading; she has no idea they've become interesting this year for the first time in history. 

I predict several hours of begging and bartering followed by a cagey as fuck 0-0 bore-fest, inevitable. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

I don't think Reading are going to be walkovers like Cov, Derby and Wycombe. They've obviously got something about them and defend well. We don't really attack well at home (League 2 Wycombe aside). I expect a cagey game where they sit deep and we have to force the issue/be creative. We're shit in those types of games sadly. 

We are playing a different system and likely 4 or 5 in the starting 11 that haven't been at the club in seasons gone by.

Think it's a bit early to say we are shit in these type of games with the new additions and change in formation and style.Agreed we have been poor in the past in these type of games but I can't see how we can compare this team with last year's 

4 hours ago, Ossydave said:

We need to score early on or it may well be a long and disappointing night. IF we do though we should win comfortably, I think some people are talking Reading up a bit too much, yes they've had some good results and rightly top of the league this far, but I look at their squad and think there probably 1 or 2 players I'd take off them that's it.

Exactly, score first and they have to come at us - at which point we will play them off the park. In theory anyway...

Expecting a tight and cagey game. The majority of posts on the reading forums (I dont normally look at opponents forums!) would be happy with a draw. I think their management would say the same. 1 goal in it at most i think.

Fancy Dolan to come on with 15 mins left and cause some trouble to tired legs. 1-0 Armstrong with a Dolan won penalty. 

• Like 1

We need to be patient as I recall from our previous game in July they are a different team in the second half. I’m sure they will be happy to soak up any early pressure and then come at us. 

I don’t want another game where we have 65% possession and 17 shots but no points. A hard fought 1-0 win will do me and failing that a 0-0 draw will be OK

4 hours ago, matt83 said:

After seeing those stats above Reading have zero midweek away wins in 2.5 seasons with only 2 wins from 36. At ewood reading have played 11 won 1. It’s not the top of the league and conceded one that’s worries me it’s that bit. Rovers have always had a pathological desire to end any clubs winless runs. No away wins for 2 and a half seasons who you gonna call....ROVERS. 

I understand the point you're making Matt and you're not the only one making it, but I think this is a perception rather than a reality. No away midweek wins for that long? Surely that includes defeats at Ewood Park then? Its only a few weeks since we smacked 4 past them at Ewood so the winless run wasn't ended then was it, and by any yardstick we have improved significantly since that game, both going forward (when did we last win 5-0, and 0-4, 0-4 in such a short space of time, regardless of how 'weak' the opposition?) and defensively (the only league goal we have conceded at Ewood this season was a last-minute deflected effort).

I'm as confident as I can be going into tonight's game, and hopefully the players will also be brimming with confidence.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, islander200 said:

We are playing a different system and likely 4 or 5 in the starting 11 that haven't been at the club in seasons gone by.

Think it's a bit early to say we are shit in these type of games with the new additions and change in formation and style.Agreed we have been poor in the past in these type of games but I can't see how we can compare this team with last year's 

I was talking about the Cardiff and Forest games this season. And similar games last season. 

Just now, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

I was talking about the Cardiff and Forest games this season. And similar games last season. 

Forest 13 players unavailable including a midfield 3 of Johnson and Evans and Buckley, name me another championship club who wouldn't struggle in those circumstances?

.Cardiff I will give you but still no Elliot, Douglas and Trybull.

Last season or season before can't be comparative with this season, practically half a new team and we are playing a different style than we have done under Mowbray in the past.