BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers vs Reading at Virtual Ewood

2 hours ago, Ossydave said:

Sounds like Kaminski won't make it on Saturday ffs. Wouldn't be surprised if a few more players start showing 'symptoms' either so expect a patched up team, again.

Let's see the Greek lad in goal in Saturday if that's the case.

Pears isn't good enough.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, islander200 said:

He should have started Nyambe and played Rankin-Costello in Evans position.Reading have a bit of pace in the side so he goes and leaves our quickest defender on the bench.Crazy

The subs had me baffled, still think it's very early days but that was extremely bad.

If you're adamant JRC has to be in the team, I'd rather play him at RW and move Elliot into the midfield 3.

30 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

If you're going defence then surely it's Samba. We need his pace at the back.

I was a big fan of Samba. 

He was on that Soccer AM Pro Am thing not too long back.

First attempt at a volley he completely fluffed. Second one he absolutely smashed it home. Also finished a one on one by taking it round the keeper.

Very underrated on the ball for me.

Watch 2.20 - 2.50 to see his awful volley followed by his belting one.

Edited by LeftWinger

Well off the pace all over the pitch last night. JRC not good enough at full back well out of position for the 2nd & 4th goal and he was beaten to easily for the 3rd goal. Lenihan has been poor all season teams must play again at us and target him he is the weak link in centre half. Midfield too slow in possession and the subs didn’t impact the game at all and for BB and SG they are terrible in all honesty SG on the pitch needs to be central and not out wide. Mowbray has taken us as far as he can he only has 1 way of playing and if that isn’t working there isn’t a plan B he has to be walking on thin ice 

37 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

I was thinking - if I could choose any ex-Rover to add to our squad from the last 30 years at their absolute peak, who would I go for? The fact it wouldn't actually be Shearer, Duff or Friedel speaks volumes. I'd go for Hendry. I really think we're an old school, blood and thunder type centre half away from being competitive in this league. I don't think even Shearer could score enough to compensate from how porous we are at the back.

Moran for me!

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

We can't play 4-3-3 against the better teams. We are far too fragile on the counter.

Bournemouth, Watford and Reading, 2 teams you expect to be near the top end of the league and Reading who currently occupy top spot have managed to score 10 goals past us in 3 games.

Watford and Reading pretty much had the game sewn up within 18 mins, scoring either 2 or 3 goals leaving us a mountain to climb in both situations. Bournemouth were 1 up on 25mins and we were chasing the game from then on, equalising twice before still being unable to keep the ball out of our own net for a 3rd time. 

We can put the poorer teams to the sword but even Coventry hit the post before we scored.

Mowbray needs an alternative formation/set up for the better teams, 4-2-3-1 perhaps which leaves us less exposed on the counter. We aren't going to steamroll over every team, our players aren't good enough and the defence is comically woeful at times.

I expected Evans and Trybull to sit deep protecting the back 4. In the first 30 mins Evans was often our most advanced midfielder and Trybull playing almost left wing back which I found really odd. It obviously then exposed our centre halves. After we conceded the third, Evans was anonymous.

I've always felt that Lenihan was suspect in the back 4 and now he seams to be regressing as a player. His decision making and levels of concentration are atrocious.

As has been said so often, good sides keep it tight at the back and build from there. When the fuck are we going to learn that very simple principle of football?

• Like 3

,Hmm wonder how my boss would react if next time they asked for a piece of work I told them it was on a journey? 

Seriously 3 years in and we are still on a journey.  in scoreline, position and form Reading showed the journey to be a mockery. Even without them showing us up does anyone really think it's acceptable to not be challenging 3 years on?  Our progress on the pitch of glacial. More exciting granted but I would prefer effective. 

We haven't beaten a single top half team. That's poor. Dress it up whatever way you like but if you can't do that you aren't going to get promoted. 

I still think we have a decent team but TM is holding us back. Not playing Nayambe - the villain of his reign - still playing Evans and sticking Gally on the wings are basic oft repeated mistakes that continue to cost us. 

The keeper situation is depressing too. Getting a keeper who can't play our system? Seems an even more suspect deal then before. 

Resigned to another season of what if through thumping weak teams and we're only X off playoffs. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Steptoe87 said:

Well off the pace all over the pitch last night. JRC not good enough at full back well out of position for the 2nd & 4th goal and he was beaten to easily for the 3rd goal. Lenihan has been poor all season teams must play again at us and target him he is the weak link in centre half. Midfield too slow in possession and the subs didn’t impact the game at all and for BB and SG they are terrible in all honesty SG on the pitch needs to be central and not out wide. Mowbray has taken us as far as he can he only has 1 way of playing and if that isn’t working there isn’t a plan B he has to be walking on thin ice 

The first goal was tragic. A long nowhere ball that shouldn't have troubled the " Dog & Duck "  2nd team yet an experienced full back turns his back on the ball, the keeper comes a mile out of his goal for no apparent reason, and it's a gift my mum could have scored. I will say this for Reading, they had players up to take advantage of the cock up very quickly. If that had have been Rovers we would have still been ambling down the pitch at that point.  I thought JRC was going over to buy a pie for the third goal. Talk about being sent the wrong way. We were lacking in pace in our half of the pitch through out the game. What's the point of playing with two defensive midfield players if they can't prevent a free shot from the edge of the area. Joa  took the fourth goal with a top class finish.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

26 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

,Hmm wonder how my boss would react if next time they asked for a piece of work I told them it was on a journey? 

Seriously 3 years in and we are still on a journey.  in scoreline, position and form Reading showed the journey to be a mockery. Even without them showing us up does anyone really think it's acceptable to not be challenging 3 years on?  Our progress on the pitch of glacial. More exciting granted but I would prefer effective. 

We haven't beaten a single top half team. That's poor. Dress it up whatever way you like but if you can't do that you aren't going to get promoted. 

I still think we have a decent team but TM is holding us back. Not playing Nayambe - the villain of his reign - still playing Evans and sticking Gally on the wings are basic oft repeated mistakes that continue to cost us. 

The keeper situation is depressing too. Getting a keeper who can't play our system? Seems an even more suspect deal then before. 

Resigned to another season of what if through thumping weak teams and we're only X off playoffs. 

If I'd have said that to my boss I would have been on a journey, to the Job Centre !

1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

“There was no intention to get him any game-time this soon”

Its unbelievable how he will put his mates lad in completely out of his depth.  Has he not looked at him in training? What does Benson say?  Its a shambles.

And now he's defending a boys club purchase with outrageous comments.  Joke

• Like 1

I wasn’t able to watch the game unfortunately but sounds like we managed to take advantage of your defensive mistakes going off the highlights. Only side conceding goals you conceded that we’ve played were Derby if my memory serves me well, but I do think this is all fixable if TM decides to actually fix it. I know exactly how this loss feels like being a Reading fan, I’d be absolutely gutted but I wouldn’t be too disheartened, it’s quite obvious attacking wise you can score going off the chances you put away. If you can beat huge amount of the dross we have in the league I think a top 6 push is still possible, we did exactly that in 16/17. I think we scored all of our shots on target, I have no idea how and if it’s sustainable but the league table still brings a tear to my eye at the moment, our start has been absolutely incredible.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Let's see the Greek lad in goal in Saturday if that's the case.

Pears isn't good enough.

Could I ask what he did wrong last night. His position  for the first goal was a mystery - but so was our whole defence. But I struggle to think in which situations he could have done better. It is a genuine question - I know we let in 4 goals, but not certain what he could have done better (other than 1st goal - but the outcome would have been the same)

54 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

The first goal was tragic. A long nowhere ball that shouldn't have troubled the " Dog & Duck "  2nd team yet an experienced full back turns his back on the ball, the keeper comes a mile out of his goal for no apparent reason, and it's a gift my mum could have scored.

"This lot can't defend for toffee. Get it down field into their centre halves and test them out early doors. Bounce into making a mistake and see what happens."

We've been rumbled for the slow-witted and naive defenders we have. That's my view anyway.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

Could I ask what he did wrong last night. His position  for the first goal was a mystery - but so was our whole defence. But I struggle to think in which situations he could have done better. It is a genuine question - I know we let in 4 goals, but not certain what he could have done better (other than 1st goal - but the outcome would have been the same)

I just watched the highlight of first goal - I think he had positioned himself for Douglas to let it go through. Then, as per rest of defence, was undone by Douglas heel.

I can't believe the stick he is getting - every single one of our defenders had a mare last night - so not certain how Pears can really be blamed.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Gamst said:

Been a difficult start to the season and we are clearly underachieving so far. We need to remember that due to COVID and injuries there has been a lot of chopping and changing which hasn't helped matters. We have also had some tough games with last night and next Saturday being examples and played teams at a bad times (fleg forest). It goes without saying though that you have to compete better and deal with adversity more effectively if you want to compete at the top of the league and patience will rightly wear thin if this inconsistency persists. 

I think there is enough positive stuff there to suggest we stick with Tony to see how it plays out though. We are playing some brilliant football and at times we are unplayable, when was the last time we could say that? We also have the strongest team in years despite a very challenging economic climate and that deserves praise and should offer us some hope that things should improve as teams around us with inferior squads flounder. It feels like we are waiting for something to click to find consistency, be more clinical and challenge against the better teams. The defense is an issue, although I think its more to do with the balance and formation than individuals. There are signs that there's a really good team in there somewhere, but at some point soon this needs to translate into consistent wins! 

don't think I have ever disagreed more with a post.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, philipl said:

People objected at Half Time to my describing four Reading players as Premier League class.

My four are Cabral the keeper.

Esteves (aged 18)

Richards (aged 22)

Olise (aged 18)

We have talented youngsters but Esteves in particular is Elliott level something else and comfortably outshone Elliott last night.

I was quietly impressed with both Esteves and Olise. Olise seems to play with confidence and have no fear. Very athletic as well. How the hell did Reading find these youngsters.

And Joao, the ball sticks to him like glue and the way he took his goal was just cool. On the other hand, Gally....

• Like 3

1 minute ago, yellowsubmarine said:

I was quietly impressed with both Esteves and Olise. Olise seems to play with confidence and have no fear. Very athletic as well. How the hell did Reading find these youngsters.

And Joao, the ball sticks to him like glue and the way he took his goal was just cool. On the other hand, Gally....

Joao had ability when he was here, it was just that he just played when he felt like it. Reading seem to have him motivated.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Tabula Rasa said:

"This lot can't defend for toffee. Get it down field into their centre halves and test them out early doors. Bounce into making a mistake and see what happens."

We've been rumbled for the slow-witted and naive defenders we have. That's my view anyway.

I've been saying this for years, collectively and individually we don't sense danger until it hits us on the chin. It's been going on for too long

22 minutes ago, Tabula Rasa said:

Slow witted and slow in general! Unless Nyambe is back there we don’t have anyone with an ounce of pace. Yet we’re set up like we have Cannavarro and Maldini at the back.