BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers vs Reading at Virtual Ewood

4 minutes ago, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

For starters he is going to have to strengthen back muscles for frequent picking ball out of net (based on Tuesday).

Possibly adapting to sweeper keeper (which is part of new approach). Understanding how poor our defenders are ie don't assume Douglas will let ball come through to you - need to consider he may back heel and adjust position accordingly ? 

You have a point but he has been playing at Middlesbrough 

1 hour ago, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

For starters he is going to have to strengthen back muscles for frequent picking ball out of net (based on Tuesday).

Possibly adapting to sweeper keeper (which is part of new approach). Understanding how poor our defenders are ie don't assume Douglas will let ball come through to you - need to consider he may back heel and adjust position accordingly ? 

I don't think the ball Douglas made a cock up of could be considered a ball that the goalkeeper should have come out for. If he stays back in goal the chances are we wouldn't have conceded. 

1 hour ago, 4000Holes said:

Just read that Mowbray has stated it will take time for Pears to adjust.

FFS he’s a goalkeeper, what is there to adjust to?  Goals have always been 8yds x 8ft, penalty spot 12yds penalty area 18yds and goal area 6yds. As he has been a keeper throughout his life, what the hell does he need to adjust to?  Just asking.

It is the bit where the keeper plays sweeper on the half way line.

12 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I don't think the ball Douglas made a cock up of could be considered a ball that the goalkeeper should have come out for. If he stays back in goal the chances are we wouldn't have conceded. 

For one - he would have been 1 on 1 with their forward - so still likely to concede. Also - how many times have we critised keepers for staying on their line - in this case it would have been a straightforward collection by the keeper if not for Douglas's heel.

I am not certain what is going on - but Pears seems to be getting a lot of stick from some on this MB - though we let in 4, not really certain what he could have done (also no one seems to mention his unbelievable reaction save from Williams).

Give the lad a chance.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

For one - he would have been 1 on 1 with their forward - so still likely to concede. Also - how many times have we critised keepers for staying on their line - in this case it would have been a straightforward collection by the keeper if not for Douglas's heel.

I am not certain what is going on - but Pears seems to be getting a lot of stick from some on this MB - though we let in 4, not really certain what he could have done (also no one seems to mention his unbelievable reaction save from Williams).

Give the lad a chance.

The ball was going away from goal, not into a danger area. If everybody had have left it the ball would have ended up out by the corner flag. He was probably anxious to get into the game but that was a real mistake.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

If he'd shouted 'keepers ball' in a loud authoritative voice, Douglas should have just left it and Pears pick the ball up. If he didn't it was Douglas' fault for not defending properly and hoofing it clear, if he did it was still Douglas' fault for ignoring the call.

Pears didn't instil me with confidence afterwards but you can't pin the blame for the way we didn't defend as a team on him. We defended woefully, collectively as a team.

23 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

The ball was going away from goal, not into a danger area. If everybody had have left it the ball would have ended up out by the corner flag. He was probably anxious to get into the game but that was a real mistake.

I suggest you watch the highlights on sky - it was going nowhere near the corner flag. 

Edited by DavidMailsTightPerm

56 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

I can't see anyone discussing the comical last gasp dive by Del to stop their forward, so I may aswell.

A defender worth his salt would have just stxuk with him and made it difficult....Del just spazzed out.

Oh I saw it. Was a laughable attempt and must have been a millimetre or two away from sending us down to ten men. What on Earth was he thinking?! 

• J*B unpinned this topic
1 hour ago, Colt Seavers said:

I think his intention originally was to completely come off his feet with a huge slide in which would give away a penalty and potentially get himself sent off. 

I think he changed his mind mid lunge fearing the red card.

Choice between a bad tackle or no tackle at all (and a goal). We are so lucky to have him in the side.

• Like 2

Finally steeled myself to look at the stats.

Possession 66-34

Attempts 13-5

Shots on 6-4

Corners 3-3

All 4 of their shots resulted in goals and 3.5 of them were defensive mistake gifts (counting the second as half a mistake leaving the guy in time and space on the edge of our area- the other half was a sensationally accurate and powerful strike). 

Yes Reading were the better side on the night but we still gifted them their win.

• Like 1