BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers vs Reading at Virtual Ewood

A Rotherham fan's view of Reading from the weekend:-

Watched online as a Rotherham fan. Reading stood off in the first half so we probably had more of the ball than in any other game we played at this level but they gambled that we wouldn’t be able to break them down and aside from a couple of chances they were right. Then three mistakes in one move from us and they’re 1-0 up and can press us more in the second half and our passing inevitably went downhill. They’re a canny solid strong team with skilful wingers. But I’ve not seen any team yet that’s really going to take the league by the scruff of its neck.

Can see this one following the path of Cardiff/Forest so it's likely we'll have to grind something out and that'll mean another clean sheet is vital. Playing away though is suiting us better at the moment which kind of banishes the ewood crowd myth some peddle.

Probably a 1- 1 .

52 minutes ago, JoeH said:

This will not be an easy game. Reading will be like Watford, rather than Forest or Cardiff. Let's see if we can kick on but I think it's very much a case of us struggling to break down teams at home.

I see no reason why Douglas and JRC haven't earned another start. Williams has to play over Ayala as well for now IMO. 

Perhaps we could see Joe Rothwell back in place of a Bradley Johnson, but if not then I don't think we need any changes. Good game for Pears to show us what he's all about, but not too stressed about him, get the attacking stuff right has got to be the main priority on Tuesday.

Basically agree, but I'd have Nyambe in front of Rankin-Costello. Not an easy call, but both Joao and Meite (assuming they both play) can be a handful and I'd much rather have a rested Nyambe helping to deal with any counter attacks than JRC coming back from a hamstring injury.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

Away win.

BTW, what's your favourite biscuit?

Love that book on Robin Friday. 

Think I will have to go for a hob nob. Mainly because they taste fantastic, but also because the Reading equivalent of this website is called HobNobAnyone?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

Basically agree, but I'd have Nyambe in front of Rankin-Costello. Not an easy call, but both Joao and Meite (assuming they both play) can be a handful and I'd much rather have a rested Nyambe helping to deal with any counter attacks than JRC coming back from a hamstring injury.

It is a difficult call - if Reading are a counter attacking team then Nyambe would be a good choice (with his pace) - however against a packed defence, going forward, JRC would get the vote.

Given the heavy workload - I would play Nyambe - also half expecting a bit of rotation - with possibly Gallagher starting rather than BB (though would be a tough call after Saturday). Its a tough one for TM - rest one or two of the better players and get the wrath of the fans - or don't rest and they pick up injuries - and he gets the wrath of the fans - who would be a manager ? 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

It is a difficult call - if Reading are a counter attacking team then Nyambe would be a good choice (with his pace) - however against a packed defence, going forward, JRC would get the vote.

Given the heavy workload - I would play Nyambe - also half expecting a bit of rotation - with possibly Gallagher starting rather than BB (though would be a tough call after Saturday). Its a tough one for TM - rest one or two of the better players and get the wrath of the fans - or don't rest and they pick up injuries - and he gets the wrath of the fans - who would be a manager ? 

If he plays Gallagher on the wing again I'll lose the will to live.

• Like 1

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

If he plays Gallagher on the wing again I'll lose the will to live.

I was thinking through the centre - though must admit don't know which type of forward the Reading centre halves would prefer to play against. But if they defend deep, there may not be the space behind for Armstrong to be as effective.

Just now, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

I was thinking through the centre - though must admit don't know which type of forward the Reading centre halves would prefer to play against. But if they defend deep, there may not be the space behind for Armstrong to be as effective.

I think we've enough of a goal threat without starting with Gallagher, Bring him on if we need to ale house it late on. If Brererton can't play two games in succession at his age there's something wrong.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I think we've enough of a goal threat without starting with Gallagher, Bring him on if we need to ale house it late on. If Brererton can't play two games in succession at his age there's something wrong.

I see the problem as being 3 matches in a week - but ultimately I am sure that TM will be led by his sports science team

28 minutes ago, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

Is there a wrath of the fans to get at the moment? He said that he doesnt use social media and he wont come on here. With no fans in the ground there wont be any vocal disgruntlement regardless.

5 hours ago, Biscuitman said:

I set myself up an account just to answer that question(yes we did genuinely used to be known as the biscuitmen rather than the royals)

Our preferred tactic is 4231 but the formation does change in game depending on how we’re doing, for example we got Laurent to sit deeper than Semedo and Rinomhota on Saturday so we became some sort of wide 433. 

We’re very much a counter attacking side who look to frustrate the opposition by allowing them to have plenty of possession. Laurent and Rinomhota sit just in front of our defence and they essentially fill in any gaps that open up(otherwise press the man on the ball) to restrict opponents to half chances and frustrated players taking long shots. This allows one of our fullbacks to push forward and not worry too much about losing the ball, even though both Esteves and Richards are fairly quick themselves so can track back well. Rafael hasn’t really been tested in any of our games although he has proven to be reliable whenever called upon I expect he will be tested on Tuesday. 

Attacking wise we are not particularly good. We try to counter but it’s normally given away straight away especially if someone presses us(we initially struggled to get going against Barnsley and Rotherham because of that). For some reason, we are ridiculously clinical at the moment and there’s question marks over whether that is sustainable. A lot of our goals come from us punishing a defensive mistake from a set piece in particular or these horrible long balls that defences seem to struggle to deal with. We are a quick and physically strong side. Paunovic is still trying to find the answer- he’s only been in the job for two months. 

I do think each of Norwich, Blackburn and Brentford will be a good test to see how good we are defensively, we’ve not really faced anyone with a particularly good attack. We haven’t trialed for a second in the league this season, so if you manage to get an early goal it would be a good test to see what we’re made of. 

Thanks for the very informative post. I thought Reading would be more of an attacking side, but it sounds like you are our kryptonite - a clinical and physical counter attacking team. Cardiff, Watford and Forest have all played that way against us and we have really struggled..... We play a high line without the quickest players at the back or midfield, and are not great under the high ball or down the flanks on the break. So if you break on us we are not flush with confidence I have to say.

In terms of how we cope I think we have to go into a game like this at home in an attacking frame of mind. So that means sticking with 433 and the general ultra-aggressive style we have adopted. However learning from the Cardiff, Forest, Watford games we know if Reading are sitting deep most of our play is likely to come through our full backs so we need some quality there. To balance things I would probably split the difference and bring Nyame back for his defensive power and pace at RB, but keep Douglas at LB for the crossing quality which based on experience we are going to need. I would be tempted to push JRC into midfield and drop Johnson who will really struggle to recover on the break. With Williams, Trybull and Douglas we need someone in that area with legs so hopefully JRC will provide. And if Reading are going to let us have the ball JRC will use it a lot better than Bradley.

So something like : 

Kaminski

Nyambe   Lenihan    Williams    Douglas 

Holtby    Trybull   JRC 

Elliott    Armstrong    Brereton

Subs : Pears, Ayala, Bell, Johnson, Buckley, Dolan, Gallagher

Requires changing a team that just won 4-0 which will annoy many, but I would say it makes sense as Reading sound a totally different proposition to Coventry.

Edit - also if it is anything like Cardiff and Forest we are going to need a plan B around 60 mins as the game gets grinded down and we struggle to break through. Only one I can see really is going more direct with Gallagher through the centre, but Mowbray does not seems to fancy that at all for reasons best known to himself.

Edited by joey_big_nose

1 hour ago, joey_big_nose said:

Thanks for the very informative post. I thought Reading would be more of an attacking side, but it sounds like you are our kryptonite - a clinical and physical counter attacking team. Cardiff, Watford and Forest have all played that way against us and we have really struggled..... We play a high line without the quickest players at the back or midfield, and are not great under the high ball or down the flanks on the break. So if you break on us we are not flush with confidence I have to say.

In terms of how we cope I think we have to go into a game like this at home in an attacking frame of mind. So that means sticking with 433 and the general ultra-aggressive style we have adopted. However learning from the Cardiff, Forest, Watford games we know if Reading are sitting deep most of our play is likely to come through our full backs so we need some quality there. To balance things I would probably split the difference and bring Nyame back for his defensive power and pace at RB, but keep Douglas at LB for the crossing quality which based on experience we are going to need. I would be tempted to push JRC into midfield and drop Johnson who will really struggle to recover on the break. With Williams, Trybull and Douglas we need someone in that area with legs so hopefully JRC will provide. And if Reading are going to let us have the ball JRC will use it a lot better than Bradley.

So something like : 

Kaminski

Nyambe   Lenihan    Williams    Douglas 

Holtby    Trybull   JRC 

Elliott    Armstrong    Brereton

Subs : Pears, Ayala, Bell, Johnson, Buckley, Dolan, Gallagher

Requires changing a team that just won 4-0 which will annoy many, but I would say it makes sense as Reading sound a totally different proposition to Coventry.

Edit - also if it is anything like Cardiff and Forest we are going to need a plan B around 60 mins as the game gets grinded down and we struggle to break through. Only one I can see really is going more direct with Gallagher through the centre, but Mowbray does not seems to fancy that at all for reasons best known to himself.

We don’t always counter at a high tempo, in the first half we particularly try to save our energy but obviously we will go forwards if the opportunity arises. In the second half we sort of have the hope the opposition is a bit tired so we will look to press more and counter at a better speed, as long as you have physically fit midfielders you should get away with it. When it comes to long balls though you will need a physical defence that can deal with Joao(teams normally surround him now), I’m sure you all know too well how quick and strong he is. 

I don’t want to make it seem like we’re amazing in attack as we are not, most the time we do something stupid and it’s frustrating to watch. For whatever reason so far we have been remarkably good at punishing a team for any mistake they make. As a Rotherham fan put it, “give us the chances and we will score”. 

Edited by Biscuitman
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

A Rotherham fan's view of Reading from the weekend:-

Watched online as a Rotherham fan. Reading stood off in the first half so we probably had more of the ball than in any other game we played at this level but they gambled that we wouldn’t be able to break them down and aside from a couple of chances they were right. Then three mistakes in one move from us and they’re 1-0 up and can press us more in the second half and our passing inevitably went downhill. They’re a canny solid strong team with skilful wingers. But I’ve not seen any team yet that’s really going to take the league by the scruff of its neck.

Even more worried now. The mighty Rotherham were allowed to have the ball, more than any other team had allowed them.

You can be absolutely certain they will play the same way against a team that have handed out three heavy drubbings already but been stumped by teams playing that exact way. And that really won't play into our hands, especially against a defence who have only conceded one. I think we're going to be praying for the lucky bounce of the ball on this one, so we can grab a goal and force Reading to open up.

16 hours ago, bluebruce said:

Even more worried now. The mighty Rotherham were allowed to have the ball, more than any other team had allowed them.

You can be absolutely certain they will play the same way against a team that have handed out three heavy drubbings already but been stumped by teams playing that exact way. And that really won't play into our hands, especially against a defence who have only conceded one. I think we're going to be praying for the lucky bounce of the ball on this one, so we can grab a goal and force Reading to open up.

Gallagher scored on Saturday from a chance even he couldn't miss.

Tbf to him, Gally has rarely had regular chances like that since he returned. Central, facing the goal, five yards out. 

Elliot's cross was perfect, right on Gally's foot. Scored before he realised it.

But wIth his back to the goal, more than six yards out, he's a pudding and leaps like one.

Elliot is turning into what we hoped Chapman would be imo, and what Dolan might one day turn out like.

Holtby and Elliot the keys to five yard tap-ins.

Rhino on hand to intimidate the Reading flank and charge down any errors. 

I'd pick the same starting eleven from Saturday, unless anyone is struggling with fitness. The 2 games where we've struggled to break down teams (Cardiff and Forest), Nyambe had replaced JRC at right back. Let Reading worry about us and us have the nous to cope with their obvious gameplan. If their fullbacks are pressed back and concerned foremost with containing Elliott/Dolan, Brereton, JRC and Douglas, they shouldn't venture forward too much.

Key for me is getting an early goal, do that and I think we'll win.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tabula Rasa said:

Gallagher scored on Saturday from a chance even he couldn't miss.

Tbf to him, Gally has rarely had regular chances like that since he returned. Central, facing the goal, five yards out. 

Elliot's cross was perfect, right on Gally's foot. Scored before he realised it.

But wIth his back to the goal, more than six yards out, he's a pudding and leaps like one.

Elliot is turning into what we hoped Chapman would be imo, and what Dolan might one day turn out like.

Holtby and Elliot the keys to five yard tap-ins.

Rhino on hand to intimidate the Reading flank and charge down any errors. 

If you watch it back carefully the chasing pack are all running towards goal, Gallagher suddenly stops running, the Coventry centre halves keep going back towards their goal and have lost him, then the lad on the wing picks him out perfectly.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, R1871 said:

Hello

Hello R1871 - welcome to the proof of dark matter in the Universe :)

I presume you've come on to have a chat about your team? What are your thoughts for Tuesday night? Rovers have been something of a bogey team for Reading in the past few years. something I'd love to continue tomorrow evening!

COYB!