BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Joe Rankin-Costello

Amazed there is no thread for Joe.

He is developing into one hell of a player. The long diagonal to Ben Brereton which lead to the penalty was unreal in its pinpoint accuracy against Coventry.

He doesn't have the Nyambe ability to burn past opponents but whenever I see him on the ball in advanced positions I am on the edge of my seat expecting something to happen rather than on my knees praying something will happen when Ryan ventures forward.

I don't know if right back us the real position for Joe. At present I think he would be skinned by most Premier League teams attacking down their left flank but that said, Joe has the look of growing into a real Premier League quality talent.

• Like 4

He looked very good against Coventry but I think he struggles against faster attackers. It’s good having him compete with Nyambe for the RB spot because they offer very different options.

Bell and Nyambe are pacey, physical options on the flanks while JRC and Douglas are slower but offer much better creative outlets and support. Gives us great options to mix it up depending on the opposition. 

The ball for the first goal on Saturday was outstanding. That and the Elliott pass to Gallagher in the second half were the 2 stand out bits of quality in the game, 2 top class passes.

I still think that Nyambe has to be our first choice right back, you can tell that Rankin Costello is not a natural right back at times defensively, he gets caught out positionally as he did even v Doncaster, there was one moment even on Saturday when he tried to take someone on in a risky position which backfired and Coventry enjoyed a rare counter attack. That being said, he warrants another start tonight for sure.

When he has played further forward I think he struggles to have the real attacking skillset to make an impact, or has done so far, maybe he will grow into a right back over time and refine his positioning and decision making being still very young, or maybe even as a utility man who can cover a few positions. Im not entirely sure at this stage where his long term future lies but he is a very useful member of the squad ans 

I think its very premature calling him a potential Premier League talent, he is still fully establishing himself in the Championship but he should be a contract that we can get done fairly routinely and hopefully soon.

• Like 1

His pass to Brereton was wonderful, and if I was being hyper-critical, slightly overdue. Since moving back to the right this season he has been decent enough, but until that pass had seemed to get into promising attacking positions before putting in a disappointing final ball. 

I'm not saying this to have a go, only to highlight that he's had a solid introduction to the first team with rare flashes of real quality, and that we might need to be a bit patient before we see him realise his potential.  

Just now, unleaded said:

He really stood out in the youth games but had a few injuries that set him back .. Scored some wonderful goals ... Think he will only get better once he relaxes in the first team .... Rolls Royce of a player ... 

Because he's not flashy people don't see his undoubted ability. Like you I think he's quality. Buckley is the same IMO, he's just not as physically strong. JRC is fair size. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, philipl said:

Amazed there is no thread for Joe.

He is developing into one hell of a player. The long diagonal to Ben Brereton which lead to the penalty was unreal in its pinpoint accuracy against Coventry.

He doesn't have the Nyambe ability to burn past opponents but whenever I see him on the ball in advanced positions I am on the edge of my seat expecting something to happen rather than on my knees praying something will happen when Ryan ventures forward.

I don't know if right back us the real position for Joe. At present I think he would be skinned by most Premier League teams attacking down their left flank but that said, Joe has the look of growing into a real Premier League quality talent.

If you're a good passer of the ball full back is the place to be. Normally you have all the play in front of you so there should be plenty of options. Of course you need to be able to defend. The chance that the Coventry lad banged against the post came because there was a gap you could drive an oil tanker down where the right back should have been.

• Like 3

JRC to me seems like he will ultimately be a box to box player. He's got the engine, versatility and while he isn't as physical as someone like Travis he is a lot more robust than say Buckley. He hasn't really got the skills or pace to beat a full back so does not really strike me as a winger. So in our current system I would see him ultimately ending up as one of the two wide midfield roles. Wouldn't be surprised if that happens tonight and he is swapped in for Johnson and Nyambe comes in at right back. 

Ultimately I've gone from being skeptical about what JRC offers, to thinking he could be as a big a revelation as Travis. 

JRC, Travis and Rothwell give us three players who can get box to box, play at a very high intensity and have good quality on the ball. It is a real asset at this level where you tend to have players who either have a good engine or can play a bit.