BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Swansea City away

Swansea away not a happy hunting ground. Remember them terminally destroying our back to back promotion hopes in 1981in a sardine packed Vetch. Boy we gave Leighton James some stick and he replied with a fine goal- he was a really classy player.

To Saturday and I have hope but realistically we are going to get beaten and perhaps badly. By all accounts Swansea have really clicked in their most recent games.

We will also find out how bad our covid crisis so am expecting a very odd line-up and to be forced to discover if Aynsley Pears is actually any good.

At least there are the under 18s and under 23s tomorrow against the toughest opposition in their respective age groups to distract us from getting totally paranoid before Saturday. Or maybe make it even worse...

• Like 1

• K-Hod pinned this topic

Swansea don't tend to hammer anyone. They're a decent side and hard to beat but usually win by a goal or two rather than dish out heavy beatings.

Mind you I said similar about Reading and they stuck 4 past us with ease so it wouldn't surprise me.

• Like 1

I feel like we’re going to be in for another shit show of a defensive display. Up against another well organised side who undoubtedly will be rubbing their hands together knowing they’ve got us this weekend. We’re going to need Armstrong to net a hat trick and the rest to get something out of this. I hope I’m wrong. 

Edited by Mattc93

To be honest, I prefer it when we go into a game as underdogs - it brings a more realistic perspective to things, particularly as TM makes it so difficult to call what team will be put out each game.

As for this one, I'm going for home win as Rovers once again capitulate after conceding another early goal - remember how close we were last weekend against Coventry to going behind (i.e. the thickness of a coat of paint on the post) just before we got the penalty?

More doom, gloom and despondency for the fans. More tearing out of whatever hair is left for the strategists and analysts. More fool us for thinking we were at the start of a roll (at least an upwardly mobile one!).

Anyway, COYB!

giphy.gif

3 losses out of 4 is it now? Our form has to change otherwise we will leave ourselves a lot to do in the later half of the season.

Will be a tough game. Not nearly as excited now after the Reading game. I hope we don't become the flat track bullies we are appearing to be. A good defensive performance will go a long way here. Lenihan has a lot to prove.

A tough 0-2 away win will do for me. 

• Like 1

I couldn't call this, which Rovers are going to turn up? The one that sees us in a tailspin of consecutive defeats, or the one that turns up when it's potentially hotting up for Mogga and we string a couple of unexpected wins together against the odds.

If I were to have a punt, it would be on 2 straight defeats against The Swans and Boro.

Hope I'm wrong.

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/18831726.rovers-duo-self-isolating-mowbray-delivers-team-news-update/

Not good news on the injury front, we do seem to tend to have a lot of doubts for one game who tend to then be unavailable for much longer, Ayala and Kaminski still out.

Nyambe for Rankin Costello would be a definite change, sadly I am not sure what other changes we could make.

In midfield, I suppose Rankin Costello could move there at the expense of Evans, but I would be tempted to play Evans and Trybull together a bit deeper in more of a 4-2-3-1, we still have Holtby, Brereton, Elliott and Armstrong in attack and it gives us a bit more stability and protection in front of the defence.

Well with all the injury woes I would go with the following:

Pears

Nyambe Lenihan Williams Douglas

JRC Trybull Holtby

Elliot Armstrong Brereton

Subs: Stergiakis, Wharton, Dolan, Gallagher, Evans, Buckley, Chapman

For a disclaimer, I would've probably dropped Lenihan for Ayala if he was fit. I would also throw Stergiakis in but Mowbray won't do that.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Ruaney said:

Pears

JRC Trybull Holtby

For a disclaimer, I would've probably dropped Lenihan for Ayala if he was fit. I would also throw Stergiakis in but Mowbray won't do that.

With what's available I would also pick this team. Would probably go for the greek lad in goal over pears (based on not much evidence)

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Ruaney said:

Pears

JRC Trybull Holtby

I'd even go with 6 subs to leave Evans out!

• Like 5

54 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Not good news on the injury front, we do seem to tend to have a lot of doubts for one game who tend to then be unavailable for much longer, Ayala and Kaminski still out.

Yeah I’ve noticed this too. Ayala had a ‘chance’ of making the first game he’s missed. This will now be 3-4 matches he’s not made. Always the same with others who are ‘back on the grass’ too. 

As for the game, I like their team on paper and they’ve had a much more solid start than us. I can see them turning us over relatively comfortably to be honest and would be shocked if they don’t score at least 2.

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Ruaney said:

Pears

JRC Trybull Holtby

What is it about Pears that you would pick him ahead of Stergiakis or even Eastham?

The manager should be saying to all of the reserve keepers that the number two spot is there to be challenged for - then when they get there the number one spot is to be challenged for. Plus, by his own admission Pears isn’t ready.

Ditch the 4-3-3!

Pears

Nyambe   Williams          Wharton    Douglas

Trybull              Davenport

Elliott                  Holtby                 Dolan

Armstrong         

Subs: Stergiakis, Lenihan, JRC, Evans, Chapman, Gallagher, Brereton           

37 minutes ago, Stuart said:

What is it about Pears that you would pick him ahead of Stergiakis or even Eastham?

The manager should be saying to all of the reserve keepers that the number two spot is there to be challenged for - then when they get there the number one spot is to be challenged for. Plus, by his own admission Pears isn’t ready.

I think you missed the last sentence of my post. I would play the greek lad over Pears, Mowbray will not. 

4 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

Ditch the 4-3-3!

Pears

Nyambe   Williams          Wharton    Douglas

Trybull              Davenport

Elliott                  Holtby                 Dolan

Armstrong         

Subs: Stergiakis, Lenihan, JRC, Evans, Chapman, Gallagher, Brereton           

I agree there's a decent argument for dropping the 433 if we don't think we can make it work with the available personnel. Mowbray saying Pears isn't used to a high line or playing outside his box is a big worry, as is Lenihan and Douglas being all over the place recently another. Should we go blythly into another tricky game with half our first team out injured and play an ultra high line and three forwards.... Hmmm.

I would have a different 4231 lineup though.

Pears

Nyambe   Lenihan   Williams    Douglas

Holtby              Trybull

JRC                  Elliott             Brereton

Armstrong         

Subs : Stergiakis, Wharton, Evans, Gallagher, Dolan, Chapman, Davenport

Looking at that you think there should be less chance of us getting turned over by Swansea. We could just sit deep and try and hit Brereton, Elliott and Armstrong on the break - all pacy players.

With 433 you feel if they suss it out (and it's been shown not to be rocket science) they could annihilate us.... Once the confidence in the high line goes it gets very very messy.I What does without saying is if we do go 433 has to be Nyambe back in.

Pears

Nyambe   Lenihan   Williams    Douglas

JRC      Trybull.    Holtby

Elliott       Armstrong    Brereton

It's actually the exact same personnel just arranged differently so if Mowbray fancies himself a Bielsa master tactician type we could maybe start 4231 and play a deep tight game, then go on the offensive with 433 later. But then again....