BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Swansea City away

8 minutes ago, 47er said:

Well provide some evidence that what is posted on here causes poor performances on the field!

How can fans be responsible when they are not allowed in?

Don't even bother biting it's selective muck raking again these theories have been blown out the water.  We've pasted teams home and away and been mullered home and away. 

The lack of fans all over the country even in the Prem is having some affects but messageboard opinion transmitting itself onto the pitch ?  Best bit of tinfoil stuff yet.

Dyche must be reading the Burnley ones out in the dressing room or something that'll explain their problems.

34 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Or Brererton. He doesn't know where the six yard box is.

So because he doesn't know where the 6 yard box is he doesn't add value to the team?

I appreciate I come across as a Brereton fan boy and admittedly I lost my rag one of the days and sounded quite condescending in my posts to you and others which IL apologize for but This season Ben Brereton is worth a place in the side.

He scored a handy goal against Watford and 3 assists against Coventry and has had a hand in a few other goals.His movement and dragging players out of position has improved drastically.Good when he drives at the opposition with the ball at his feet and has won countless free kicks which we never do anything with.

He was poor against Reading and wasn't great against Swansea.

He obviously wasn't worth the 7 million and he doesn't have a strikers instinct but he still adds value and potentially could turn out to be a very decent player 

1 minute ago, islander200 said:

So because he doesn't know where the 6 yard box is he doesn't add value to the team?

I appreciate I come across as a Brereton fan boy and admittedly I lost my rag one of the days and sounded quite condescending in my posts to you and others which IL apologize for but This season Ben Brereton is worth a place in the side.

He scored a handy goal against Watford and 3 assists against Coventry and has had a hand in a few other goals.His movement and dragging players out of position has improved drastically.Good when he drives at the opposition with the ball at his feet and has won countless free kicks which we never do anything with.

He obviously wasn't worth the 7 million and he doesn't have a strikers instinct but he still adds value and potentially could turn out to be a very decent player 

I wouldn’t get an air hostess to fly a plane

they may assist but it’s not what they were brought onboard for. One job as a striker

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

I wouldn’t get an air hostess to fly a plane

they may assist but it’s not what they were brought onboard for. One job as a striker

Well if Brereton is playing as a striker then so is Gallagher when he comes on.They both ain't playing as strikers

Watched the full game on playback as I had family stuff on yesterday

A few notes

-It was very noticeable that we were playing 20 yards deeper compared to the Reading game. Obviously Pears did not have the confidence of the defence and vice versa. Playing deep is not a bad thing of itself, but combined with 433 it basically meant we surrendered the midfield to Swansea as they outnumbered us.

-Also the midfield personnel did not look effective either. 433 needs real athelticism from the midfielders to physically impose themselves on the game through constant pressing. While he looks an okay player generally Trybull is cut from the same cloth as Evans and Johnson - he wants to sit in position and not really move too much. We can afford one of those players in the three mids but not two. Again this led to us surrendering the midfield.

-It goes without saying playing JRC at left back made us vulnerable down that side, and the second goal was a direct result of that.

-Lenihan had another poor game and was easily beaten for the first goal.

-Gallagher was atrocious when he came on, Dolan not much better. We looked totally beaten by the 60th minute

All that said we could have scored a couple and maybe got a point. Swansea were not really that good so it feels like an opportunity lost as opposed to say Reading where we were beaten by a much better team.

My general feeling is this losing run will continue until we get Kaminski, Douglas and Rothwell back in the side. I am also worried that Mowbray is going to persist with putting Trybull and one of Johnson/Evans in the midfield three which I think will completely destroy the dynanism that looked so good first few games. 

All in all pretty depressing. Put Kaminski, Douglas, Rothwell, Travis and Ayala into the team and I think we would be having a good run atm but as it is with the injuries and omissions mounting up its looking pretty grim.

Edited by joey_big_nose
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

I am also worried that Mowbray is going to persist with putting Trybull and one of Johnson/Evans in the midfield three which I think will completely destroy the dynanism that looked so good first few games. 

That's my main worry. For me Evans offers absolutely nothing and on Saturday's evidence I'm worried Trybull might turn out to be similar. You can barely afford one player in the side like that, let alone two.

Mowbray should look at the line up that beat Wycombe then note he stuck with it and we put 4 past Derby away from home. That wasn't coincidental but he seems to be doing his usual tinkerman routine and drifting further and further away from that line up which worked.

1 minute ago, RevidgeBlue said:

That's my main worry. For me Evans offers absolutely nothing and on Saturday's evidence I'm worried Trybull might turn out to be similar. You can barely afford one player in the side like that, let alone two.

Mowbray should look at the line up that beat Wycombe then note he stuck with it and we put 4 past Derby away from home. That wasn't coincidental but he seems to be doing his usual tinkerman routine and drifting further and further away from that line up which worked.

To be fair I think all of the changes have been forced due to injury/coronavirus.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Gaz85 said:

Carlisle got beat....and the constant negativity of our fan base is having a detrimental affect on the team ?

Just run this one past me again. How does this work? For starters no fans are in the ground so I struggle to see how they influence things. Are you saying the players are trawling internet sites and it's knocking their confidence? Also given that Rovers Facebook and official site are quite positive, is BRFCS providing a speed bump that is shattering their confidence? And how many of the squad are on here having their confidence shattered? 

Or is it just when we are in the ground? Strange, as Rovers fans imo aren't a very critical lot - certainly compared with say Villa or Barcodes. TM hasn't really had much pressure from fans so I am at a bit of a loss for where this idea comes from.

Also how long has this negativity been going on? As in has it only just started affecting the team? Been there for years? Funny because the can't defend for toffee or break into the playoffs has been around for quite a while, so not sure there's much of a change in our defending there. 

9 hours ago, Gaz85 said:

As I said earlier, I’m not bothered about the past. In Kaminski, Douglas and Ayala we have significantly improved our defence in my opinion. Get them playing consistently together and we will see an improvement that in sure of.

Not bothered about the past? says the guy who mentions our constant negativity and compares our defence to previously - both past events! I mean when isn't that a criteria for a football? You reference it in the same post comparing the present with the past defence. 

Whether he has won tropheys in the past with us or blown our budget and missed playoffs in the past, a manager's record matters. Heck any employees does. Sure don't dwell in the past but it has a baring on the future. Let's say one of my team has a chronic lateness problem, but after a quiet couple of months turns up late a couple of times again this week - surely their past performance has relevance? It's only happened twice, the past doesn't count, doesn't really cut it. 

Also given its taken 3 years to improve the defence, does that not seem a tad belated to you? And even then it seems the improvements might include a sicknote and a substandard reserve keeper. I agree the defence is improved although the extent to which I am not sure. Certainly it doesn't seem to be showing on the pitch - with or without these players present.

Even if we are going on this season alone - the result has hardly been overwhelming. In fact our form has been pretty poor. Leaking goals, more losses then wins and draws combined. Yes, injuries have played a part but the rest of the squad is still TMs and all managers are facing injury and covid problems. Yes it is a lot, but even then I would say we have a better team then some of the division yet aren't picking up many results. Also on the injuries bare in mind we knew there was no Dack for ages. We knew Travis was out for a fair whack. We knew Evans was crap. That Johnson and Williams can be a miss as well as a hit. We knew we needed a new reserve keeper for yonks. It's not like many of our transfer needs were a surprise. 

However I am slipping back into the past, which is difficult not to do because funnily enough the past cannot be ignored and massively influences the present. Neither of which have been too inspiring under TM. 

11 hours ago, islander200 said:

Nothing to apologise about matey, we all have opinions and we like to put them over. The point I was making is if you don't try to get in and around the six yard box you aren't going to score many goals unless you're Alan Shearer Mk 2. How many goals does Dack score from quite close in. You could argue that Brererton is playing a deeper role because he's being told to play that way but from watching him I don't think that's the case.

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Nothing to apologise about matey, we all have opinions and we like to put them over. The point I was making is if you don't try to get in and around the six yard box you aren't going to score many goals unless you're Alan Shearer Mk 2. How many goals does Dack score from quite close in. You could argue that Brererton is playing a deeper role because he's being told to play that way but from watching him I don't think that's the case.

Yes, Brereton is clearly not a striker by any interpretation of the role. His best asset by far seems to be dribbling and holding onto the ball to allow others to join the attack. I get why he plays where he plays, and he has started to look quite effective last few games to the point where he has consistently been one of our better players. It is quite noticeable whenever he comes off the ball stops sticking to the front line. 

Gallagher on the other hand I just can't see on any level what the thought process is to have him on the wing.... he continually just loses the ball. I pray to god if Armstrong is out we see Gallagher through the middle and not some mad concoction of Elliott through the middle and Gallagher wide right.....

• Like 1

"Strokers" are fox in the box types, like Andy Cole, Gary Lineker,  Robbie Fowler, Jordan Rhodes who score 20 goals a season consistently, but rarely touch the ball outside of the 18 yard box.

We don't have anyone like that amongst the first team squad; instead we have "forwards" who can score many different types of goals but don't hog the penalty area (Armstrong) or who score less goals but create for others & influence offensive play either from a deeper position (Dack, Brereton) or from a wide position (Elliot, Dolan, Brereton, Armstrong again). We also have Gallagher, who by rights probably ought to be the closest thing we have to a striker in a central role but he isn't played there (probably my biggest gripe with Mowbray) probably because that's where Armstrong has proved most effective since we ditched the Graham / Dack combination.

The problem with strikers is that unless they score they're seen by many as a but of a luxury, or as lazy & selfish & don't contribute to the team effort. Rhodes being the clear example; he's hammered by many on here for his all round game yet his scoring record was excellent.

Strikers tend not to fit a 433 as the system requires too much interchangability (is that a Dowieism?!) between the front 3. So we're reliant on the goals being spread relatively evenly across the front 3, the problem being at the moment it's only Armstrong who is getting them currently. If he can score another 10 this season (doable) & BB, Elliot, Dack & Gallagher score 35 between them (hopeful), with midfielders & defenders chipping in another 20-25 (doable) we'll not do too bad this season if we can tighten up defensively.

So yes, we have forwards, not strikers. That's my main point!