BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers v Middlesbrough Tuesday 3rd November

Now then, next match brings bonny Boro to Ewood, managed by the Neil Warnock who predictably has instantly turned the club around from last season's relegation candidates to one now sitting in the top 6.

"Colin" is not everyone's cup of tea but he's one of my favourite managers, a tough nut who takes no nonsense and produces pragmatic, tough teams that are hard to beat and get results. His record of promotions is second to very few, if any.

I stand to be corrected but I think Colin was actually pencilled in for the Rovers job when the club changed its mind at the mind at the 11th hour and, unbelievably, gave the job to Owen Coyle. He was also out of work for a brief period last year before Boro grabbed him to sort out their own mess.

So that's 2 chances to we've had to appoint him, and I've no doubt we'd be back in the Premier League now had we done so the first time.

Anyway, in the dugout it's Tony v Colin on Tuesday night and the contrast between the approaches of the 2 managers could not be more different - one an indecisive but apparent nice guy and the other who fashions a team in his own hard image.

What the Rovers team will be is anyone's guess and I doubt Tony will decide until an hour before kick off. But I doubt it will make much difference. On current form I can't see anything other than another defeat.

Rovers 0 Boro 1

• Like 4

Tuesday's team will be interesting.

Sharpe reporting Pears likely to be in goal again - think he'll be shaking in his shoes as he knows Warnock will have plans to 'rough him up.

Doubt Ayala will play - he knows what Warnock teams are like and, IMO, wont fancy it.

As for Armstrong, will be staggered if we see him before the end of the international break - to me, looked as though he shouldn't have played yesterday with what looks like a hamstring issue. 

Edited by Mercer

24 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Tuesday's team will be interesting.

Sharpe reporting Pears likely to be in goal again - think he'll be shaking in his shoes as he knows Warnock will have plans to 'rough him up.

Doubt Ayala will play - he knows what Warnock teams are like and, IMO, wont fancy it.

As for Armstrong, will be staggered if we see him until after the international break - to me, looked as though he shouldn't have played yesterday with what looks like a hamstring issue. 

wtf,has kaminsky destroyed his groin or something similar,he should be ready after 2 weeks rest and physio

I’m slightly bitter towards Middlesbrough that after Woodgate they didn’t bring their local boy Tony back home. How dare they appoint a decent manager instead. It genuinely was the only chance we had for a change in direction. Alas Steve Gibson isn’t that daft. Probably remembers his last stint.

By the end of Tuesday I'm sure it’ll be 5 defeats from 6. The manager under no pressure big runs of defeats nothing new. The post match interview littered with excused and blame elsewhere then with the token play off remark. It’s almost as if everything he says is for the benefit of those in Pune towers.

• Like 1

Easy Rovers win this over the clueless Warnock. The bloke clearly doesn't have a clue what he's doing by going into a club and taking them from relegation candidates to play off contenders in a matter of months. Doesn't he know that you need a slow build and to go on a journey to get out of this division.

• Like 9

• K-Hod pinned this topic

I fear another loss in this one. I suspect Armstrong won’t feature and none of the absentees will be back, so we’re going to be weaker than we have been for the the past two games where we’ve been dreadful. 

We will have most of the possession, play some pretty football, create some decent chances...but they’ll probably score from a set price or a counter attack and we’ll end up losing. Sadly all too predictable at the moment. Desperately need the international break.

I do still very much believe we can push for the top 6 when we have the majority of our players available again. The worry is how much ground we’ll have to make up by the time we can get our players back. A frustrating season so far. Just when we assemble a good squad, half of them aren’t available. 

19 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

will Kaminski, Ayala, Rothwell be availble?

According to Sharpe, looks like Pears in goal again.

Doubt Ayala will fancy it much against a strong and aggressive Warnock team.

Sounded like Rothwell really struggling with his back. 

Nowt seems to have changed much on injury front since Saturday.

Looks like Rothwell might be back but Armstrong looking a doubt.

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/18837951.adam-armstrong-adds-name-growing-rovers-injury-list/

Seems like Kaminski and Ayala still out with groins!!!

8 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

He came off after 34 minutes, he'd already got a yellow card so maybe it was tactical ?

It was tactical (didn't want a red following early booking)- Warnock confirmed in post match presser.

Absolutely massive game and a huge blow if Armstrong misses, which I imagine he will as you cant risk a hamstring as Mowbray seemingly did yesterday for 60 minutes.

With or without Armstrong, I think the 4-3-3 formation shouldnt be assumed anymore, 20 points in 18 games shows that it hasnt been a platform for success as much as I dont overly focus on the formation itself.

If Armstrong is out then Gallagher is the only option, it is a big worry at a lack of a goal threat in Armstrongs absence but it makes it even more imperative that we dont play so openly because even if we do create lots of chances we will be even less likely to take them. One source of frustration and a sign of a side not being managed to maximum efficiency is its set pieces, our corners have been dismal this season in the main (why was Douglas not on set pieces when he played?) with stupid and disorganised short corners usually not even leading to a cross coming in. Stop that bollocks, Warnock knows how to deal with set pieces and Mowbray needs to be able to.

Sadly, I expect some stupid nonsense like Gallagher wide and Elliott down the middle.

Assuming that Gallagher starts, I would go with Elliott down the left in a 4-2-3-1, a natural left footer with a good delivery as shown for a chance created for Gallagher at Coventry and also a great cross for Armstrong v Reading. I am less fussed with who plays right, I have not seen any signs that Dolan has a good cross necessarily but he would give a nice balance down the right.

The question then comes as to who plays with Trybull and Holtby and how the middle 3 are set up. I think that Evans has been a little hung out to dry by being played further forward, I dont think ideally he would be playing for us but as a secondary player sat deeper breaking up play he can be effective as he was with Travis, so I would consider doing that and giving Holtby a free role off Gallagher. The other option would possibly be to have Holtby next to Trybull and Brereton behind Gallagher but I am not convinced that Holtby and Trybull would provide the necessary protection for a defence that we have no real alternative but to play the 4 that played on Saturday in front of a dodgy keeper.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Rogerb said:

Decisive management. Unfortunately our owners confusion is contagious

Fairly certain we did the exact same thing just a week ago bringing off Douglas in an identical situation. 

1 minute ago, Ewood Ace said:

Identical situation? We were comfortably ahead against 10 men with half an hour to play. Boro were level with an hour to go against 11 men.

He brought off a player at risk of being sent off. He wasn’t praised for it, but Warnock is. Load of crap the mixed responses people get if they’re at vs not at the club.

Edited by JoeH