BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers v Middlesbrough Tuesday 3rd November

Just because Hughes didn't fulfill his early promise as a top end Prem manager doesn't mean he's a bad one either.  We are a midtable Championship outfit with the facilities, backing and potential be a top end one.  We need to be getting blood out of stones and in some cases using what resources we have to better effect.

Hughes was a good fit here last time so maybe he could be again although he'd need to be realistic in his expectations of salary etc. Also would be much better with as many of his Tafia as possible but to write him off given our current status is a bit daft.

• Like 1

I think he did alright at Stoke before going off towards the end when he got sacked.

But he was fired from his last job over two years ago (Southampton), where he had a win percentage of 18.5% in 27 games.

He was also pretty poor at QPR where he lost 58.8% of his 34 games.

I'd still take him back though.

Its just not going to happen is it. In the event Mowbray goes it will all be about preserving the status quo with Johnson, Lowe and Benson part of the furniture. Any new manager would be expected to work with them.

I don't necessarily think that is a cost based decision just that there's a reluctance to bin off nice guys who have been here for years

Unfortunately the best managers take their own coaching staff with them so those willing to work with whoever they inherit tend to be those just grateful to be getting a job.

Remember Coyle was supposedly meant to be working with Irvine and Kelly, which was presumably one of the reasons he got the job rather than Warnock who insisted on bringing Blackwell and Jepson along. Once he was in Coyle then managed to bring his cronies in later.

• Moderation Lead

Seeing a few comments about negativity on here, well, if losing over half of our games certainly makes me feel less optimistic! 
This is the kind of game where Mowbray pulls out a result tbh. Seen some very inflated numbers about 12 first teamers out! No way it’s that many on our injury list!

After a quick Google- I’ve found 5 injuries, 3 isolating with Covid? This was from an article yesterday....

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Its just not going to happen is it. In the event Mowbray goes it will all be about preserving the status quo with Johnson, Lowe and Benson part of the furniture. Any new manager would be expected to work with them.

I don't necessarily think that is a cost based decision just that there's a reluctance to bin off nice guys who have been here for years

Unfortunately the best managers take their own coaching staff with them so those willing to work with whoever they inherit tend to be those just grateful to be getting a job.

Remember Coyle was supposedly meant to be working with Irvine and Kelly, which was presumably one of the reasons he got the job rather than Warnock who insisted on bringing Blackwell and Jepson along. Once he was in Coyle then managed to bring his cronies in later.

I think when the venkys said they would keep the values of the club, family feel being one of them they might be taking it to literally.

9 minutes ago, Tom said:

May be the last midweek game I watch for a while.

No games on the red button this week, presume that will be the same going forward 

Sky can only show 8 midweek rounds on the red button per their contract.

“ ‘cos COVID “ there are 14 midweek rounds this season, so some weeks will be no red button. 

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, K-Hod said:

Seeing a few comments about negativity on here, well, if losing over half of our games certainly makes me feel less optimistic! 
This is the kind of game where Mowbray pulls out a result tbh. Seen some very inflated numbers about 12 first teamers out! No way it’s that many on our injury list!

After a quick Google- I’ve found 5 injuries, 3 isolating with Covid? This was from an article yesterday....

I think you'll find we are midway through his latest death spiral, sadly. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

We have a lot of injuries/absentees, can't argue with that. Sadly though, this isn't the main reason we are where we are; it's down to Tony not being a good enough manager.

I guess we can hardly expect him to admit as much in the press though so the 'woe is us' rhetoric will be ramped up until we stumble out of the latest death spiral.  

First it’s the absence Darragh Lenihan that’s why we losing then it’s Cause Ayala cause of his groin then it’s Travis then so & so ... No manager is going to have ALL of his players all of the time ... Get on with it Mowbray... he’s just buying time ... all the whilst we droping in the table .... same old story every year .... 

• Like 3

I'm unsure who's available or not but based on my assumptions, I'd line up as follows:

The Greek

Nyambe  Lenihan   Williams

Holtby    Trybull

Dolan        Buckley       JRC

Elliott

Brereton

I appreciate, it's a tad unconventional but despite our desperate injury situation, I wouldn't include either Evans or Gallagher in my starting eleven. I wouldn't normally go with a back 3 but feel that it suits our players available as long as the wing backs work the line and 2 central midfielders protect the back line, it could potentially work. It's playing a 'false 9' too, which I wouldn't normally suggest.

I'm curious as to whether anyone else can suggest, which of our other youngsters could possibly feature, if any.

It's imperative we keep it tight at the back, win the midfield battle and offer a goalscoring threat.

Despite all, I'll still be paying my tenner and tuning in but in honesty, expect the worst.

COYB!!

Why bother even having a squad of well paid players with the attitude he and some of his blindest followers seem to have.

Might as well just have a first 15 and dip into the U23s every time there's a lot of absentees.  At least the shoulder shrugging excuses would become genuinely valid.

It's 11 v 11 on the day with the same ball and the same rules but tactics only seem to be relevant when we hammer someone.

Think this is indicative from Sharpe.

When oh when will Mowbray stop this, IMO, feckin madness of players not in their natural positions.

As for tonight, without Armstrong, wonder if Mowbray/Rovers might revert to the early post-lockdown approach, but with Elliott as the 'centre forward' and Gallagher and Brereton outside of him. Be a welcome boost to the midfield balance too if Rothwell is available.

Still baffling to me that Pears starts in goal tonight. Only been here 5 minutes and he's one of Mowbrays favourites. I wonder what he would have to do tonight for him to get dropped for the next game, he's already done more than required.

The Greek lad should be given a chance. Has better credentials for a start!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, K-Hod said:

I make it 9 or 10 (depending if Rothwell back or not) - but agree appears inflated (unless of  course more players out than released.

Just now, Ruaney said:

Still baffling to me that Pears starts in goal tonight. Only been here 5 minutes and he's one of Mowbrays favourites. I wonder what he would have to do tonight for him to get dropped for the next game, he's already done more than required.

Im not sure he really does, they have played a similar number of games in their careers if you include Pears loan spell and half of Pears' games came at Championship level, I have no idea on the standard of Bulgarian football but I would be surprised if it is on par with Championship standard.

That isnt a defence of Pears who instilled no confidence in either game and looked like a little boy really, but I dont see how it can be baffling not to play a kid who has come from a backwater of European football who none of us had heard of prior to signing.

2 hours ago, Tom said:

May be the last midweek game I watch for a while.

No games on the red button this week, presume that will be the same going forward 

As someone with a season pass, it does actually rankle a little when the red button is regularly an option for the home games for which essentially I have paid a tenner for to be fair. I didnt know that prior to the season.

A happy medium would be that the games are a fiver a pop.

• Like 1

Pears has something like 24 appearances in 4 years at Boro and his most games have come not even in the pro leagues for Gatesheed.

Hardly surprising if he doesn't look the part he's far from it. If he's been brought in now as number 2 it begs more questions about what actually goes through their heads when they think they are improving the back line.

Then again nepotism plays a big part in this regime.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 5

20 minutes ago, Ruaney said:

Really? I have to disagree with this take personally. You've got two young goalkeepers in Pears and Stergiakis, one of which has considerable Championship experience in comparison to the other. I think with Kaminski fit we'd have shipped one less goal vs Reading (still a loss at 3-2) and one less goal vs Swansea (still a loss at 1-0).

Pears hasn't been amazing but to say he's now "one of Mowbray's favourites" when it's clear he's not even the first choice goalkeeper is a bit over the top. 

How does Stergiakis have better credentials?

18 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Really? I have to disagree with this take personally. You've got two young goalkeepers in Pears and Stergiakis, one of which has considerable Championship experience in comparison to the other. I think with Kaminski fit we'd have shipped one less goal vs Reading (still a loss at 3-2) and one less goal vs Swansea (still a loss at 1-0).

Pears hasn't been amazing but to say he's now "one of Mowbray's favourites" when it's clear he's not even the first choice goalkeeper is a bit over the top. 

How does Stergiakis have better credentials?

Are you really being serious!?!?

Pears has about 20 games experience in the entire Football League across a 4+ year career.

Stergiakis has some 80 games' experience in the Bulgarian top league including Europa games.

There is simply no comparison in terms of experience and I would suggest ability (you don't play the number of games Stergiakis has at that level unless you are capable).

I think it's clear, Warnock didn't rate Pears and I know whose judgement (versus Mowbray) I trust on a footballer's abilities.

Based on his unconvincing appearances for us so far, I think Pears is a disaster waiting to happen.  A four year contract for Pears is, IMO, the height of footballing lunacy.  Just where was he going until Mowbray stepped in? 

Edited by Mercer
  • Like 6

With regard to “ The Pears debate”....and who has the better credentials, he or the Greek....neither was the answer when they were signed. They are both perfect examples of poor scouting , panic signings.  
....but , for Pears he has much against him...

1 Warnock saw he had little to offer ...got rid.

2 He’s been given a 4 year deal ( scandalous )

3 He’s not big enough to cope with the physicality of the championship 

4 He’s the son of Mowbray’s  mate

5 He’s yet another “ Boro lad “ who takes our money but gives us nowt 

He will have to endure the negative criticism which Rovers  fans level at him..............quite wrong.........level it at Mowbray. 

• Like 3