BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers v Middlesbrough Tuesday 3rd November

2 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

This has been the case for well over a year, we will be different if this that and the other happens and it is never ending. If the squad is fully fit, if Dack comes back, if we take our chances, if we fix the defence, if our 12m duo stop impersonating clowns. Do you genuinely think we will be near the play offs? There is no evidence at all, its all baseless hope.

You also said that Gallagher and Brereton needed to step up this season. Surely tonight was the perfect chance to step upand highly frustrating and worrying that they were again so out of their depth?

Rothwell has barely ever done anything, hes a myth who now hes been injured has turned into a key player.

Nope, it’s not baseless to need your best players back in order to meet your potential. I genuinely believe we will get in the playoffs, yes.

SG and BB haven’t been good enough and IF we fail I believe their inability to effect games will be the sword TM lands on.

Rothwell on the left of a 3 man midfield has been a revelation this season. But even if you take the ‘myth’ out, how do write off the absence of Ayala, Trav, Dack and Arma who would probably get in any team in the division? 

In view of the players available this was not a bad result.  I thought the young 'keeper did well all things considered.  I thought we were better once Evans came on in midfield but without Armstrong there is no cutting edge.  Neither Brereton or Gallagher look like goalscorers which puts a huge amount of pressure on Armstrong.  Elliott looks the real deal but Dolan needs to play a bit in the Under-23's for me.

Listening to Mowbray after the game I'm amazed that we haven't got more players in self isolation with so many of the backroom staff having to self isolate.  Hopefully, we'll get more players back after the international break.  

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

The lad is 22, a full time professional footballer who has just been given a 4-year contract, not a 10 year old learning the game. Not having the goalkeeping basics at his age (which he doesn't) is like an outfield player not being to control the ball. From what I've seen he should not be anywhere near the first team.  

White flag.

3 minutes ago, garnersfags said:

Yes, your point(about the result) is taken, but were you not surprised about quite how easily we were brushed aside, and how we were unable to retain possession for a full 90 minutes, despite the absentees?

I'm not chanting Mowbray Out, just expressing disappointment that we weren't set up to better repell a Warnock side not known for dominant, high-possession, chance-creating football. 

I really felt like, bar the back five, we gave up after 15 minutes.

Evans, thankfully, was effective in the last 30. 

Well I think we were watching two different games. I saw a second string 11 battle hard and defend from the front. They found absolutely no fluidity in their play and as fans if that we’re our first 11 we’d expect to be amongst the mid to lower teams in the league.

Thankfully we have a boat load of top players to come back. So, I think we’ll be fine.

• Like 1

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

With Armstrong playing the 9 role scoring 9 goals already..get everyone back fit and we will be challenging for top 6

You very rarely have everyone fit in a normal season let alone in a season like this one, with a condensed season and Covid around you are not going to have everyone fit at once. These players missing are just another excuse for Mowbray and his disciples. What will their next excuse be when we get players back and are still stuck in midtable, which will happen.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Nope, it’s not baseless to need your best players back in order to meet your potential. I genuinely believe we will get in the playoffs, yes.

SG and BB haven’t been good enough and IF we fail I believe their inability to effect games will be the sword TM lands on.

Rothwell on the left of a 3 man midfield has been a revelation this season. But even if you take the ‘myth’ out, how do write off the absence of Ayala, Trav, Dack and Arma who would probably get in any team in the division? 

I didnt deny that you need your best players available to hit your potential. I just remain unconvinced that the potential of this squad of players is top 6.

Not sure if any of those get in "any team" in the division, thats a huge call. Rothwell and revelation is beyond premature.

15 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Eh? Crossing is about several skills and is developed over time. Decision making, timing, physicality, technique and confidence are just some and young keepers often struggle with it in men’s football.

Yep, he’s a young lad and not fully developed so he got pinned a few times but he’ll grow and get more confident. The one time he didn’t have a blocker he came out and caught a real dangerous one clean...I think he has potential. 

Eh? It's Championship football, not under 14's. Pears is paid as a professional goalkeeper, young or not, the ability to take crosses is a basic goalkeeping skill. He should be standing on 'blockers' achilles and have the confidence to 'shift' them out of the way and command his 6 yard box. The fact he flung himself about a bit, doesn't mask the fact that he's not good enough in my eyes and likely to be a liability.

• Like 2

Just now, darrenrover said:

Eh? It's Championship football, not under 14's. Pears is paid as a professional goalkeeper, young or not, the ability to take crosses is a basic goalkeeping skill. He should be standing on 'blockers' achilles and have the confidence to 'shift' them out of the way and command his 6 yard box. The fact he flung himself about a bit, doesn't mask the fact that he's not good enough in my eyes and likely to be a liability.

Sound. Good call ??

I think the reason for a lot of the anger and resentment on here is the fact that we often make emotional, extreme claims, such as certain players 'should never play again'. Or vice versa. 

I think if we play particularly poorly, members of this board should be respected for saying this, just as our more optimistic members should be allowed to claim that we will still make the play-offs. 

It is difficult to accept claims, though, that our performance was anything but disappointing and poor, which TM accepted. He didn't resort to attempts to deflect the disappointment by pointing out the few positives, which was more refreshing than usual post-defeat comments. 

I pray that he learns from tonight, and sets us up more solidly on Saturday, but I really can't see where the goals will come from. Can anyone? We cannot rely on Armstrong to score a single goal in November, so who will score? The answer to this sums up our current predicament. We have spent literally millions on players who cannot score goals.

I only state facts. 

• Like 9

Tonight proved to me that Ayala and Williams are the top two Centre halfs. Lenihan again for me all over the shop, getting beat all over the pitch, reckless and generallly outmuscled. Turns like the orient express. Nyambe too, very poor.

On the Defence

Is last gasp clearances/blocks, and the ball flying across the goal mouth constantly good defending? Tosin barely got grass stains on his shorts last year.
We were shocking defensively as well tonight, we got lucky. Pears was MIA for about 15/20 corners.

Edited by Fraserkirky

42 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

I just prefer to take the opinions of those those who know what they’re talking about. There’s quite a few in here, they know who they are too. A lot of the time I go ultra positive to redress the massive tidal wave of negativity in here. Devils advocate stuff. But I believe it...

I don’t really care if that seems arrogant or provocative to you. I don’t even know you.

And you had canvassed them all by the time you posted had you? And they all agreed? Impressive.

Devil's advocate but you believe it. Tying yourself in knots now Mani. You might not care what I think (although you did care enough about it to reply) but I've seen the mods ask you to stop talking that way before. Look, just try civility and balance, it won't hurt you.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

We have the lowest total points at this stage since coming back up, and that was as low a performance as I can remember at home. Our 12 million strikers had absolute stinkers and have done since we signed them. We are closer to going back down again that going up. 

so can somebody please tell me where the progress and optimism is because I’m just not seeing it. Facts are facts 

Today, I saw enough from our team they have fight, and they haven’t “quit” on Mowbray. it was just a point, but I think a significant point, vs a top-5 side. 

I believe we’re going to climb up the table; no, I have no way of telling the future, as I’m not a prophet. But, we are about to get significant help back in the squad, and we are looking at a run of winnable games.

As I said earlier or on another thread, if Rovers haven’t made progress towards a playoff place by Boxing Day, I will listen to & have some empathy with the “Mowbray out” crowd. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

We have the lowest total points at this stage since coming back up, and that was as low a performance as I can remember at home. Our 12 million strikers had absolute stinkers and have done since we signed them. We are closer to going back down again that going up. 

so can somebody please tell me where the progress and optimism is because I’m just not seeing it. Facts are facts 

Kaminski, Ayala, Douglas, Travis, Johnson, Armstrong and Dack all would start. 

Rothwell and Nyambe look short on fitness, Holtby cant play 3 games a week, and Elliott still bedding in. JRC has to play left back.

Still doesnt excuse that performance but to not give credence to the situation and injuries is unfair.

Just now, WacoRover said:

As I said earlier or on another thread, if Rovers haven’t made progress towards a playoff place by Boxing Day, I will listen to & have some empathy with the “Mowbray out” crowd. 

We are a decent defesive system away from the play offs/promotion, why waste the season especially with all the loans and out of contracts.  The league is shit, now is the time.

• Like 3

I really can’t understand the Mowbray out prograde.

Well I sort of do, you think by right we should be in the Premier League. You think bin Mowbray, get gods knows who in and all of a sudden we will be EPL.

Infact from what I see most you think Damien Johnson is the answer, because you know, you lot love an insider.

The majority of you think Johnson was shit, yet we miss him. You said we don’t need Downing now, yet he was our best player last season and now you rejoice he’s back.

The majority have bummed Lenihan for last few years, but are now seeing the useless waste of space Williams is our best centre half.

The majority wrote of Brereton as a 19yr old flop, desperate for Chapman after his 2 good games in League 1.

The majority didn’t want Armstrong anymore, league 1 player, now our star man and top scorer of the league, yet still some aren’t sure cos our million pound man doesn’t finish every opportunity.

The disaster that is Mowbray built this squad you all adore. He is the reason we got promoted first time asking, he is the reason we have this squad, (as in Elliott Bennett) another who the majority want out.

The majority on here do not have the first clue. Honestly. It’s not good enough right now, but it’s no where near manager out time.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Wood26 said:

I really can’t understand the Mowbray out prograde.

Well I sort of do, you think by right we should be in the Premier League. You think bin Mowbray, get gods knows who in and all of a sudden we will be EPL.

Absolute nonsense. No-one has a divine right to be in the Premier League whether you're Blackburn Rovers or Manchester United but it would be nice to be challenging and feel like we're in with a genuine chance of achieving by the same.

I don't know how much clearer it has to be to convince some people that Mowbray is not remotely capable of delivering that.

15th/11th/15th already this season, five points from the last seven games, I mean come on, do we actually have to be six points adrift at the bottom of the table before we make a change?

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, yellowsubmarine said:

https://youtu.be/sNOLjM7EEeM?t=82

This move from 01:22 kinda sums up our strike force. Great build up from Elliot and JRC? who fed in a brilliant ball in, which both Brereton and Gallagher missed completely.

Exactly. Why can't a 'professional footballer' playing as a 'striker' anticipate and connect with a straightforward cross? 

I'd forgive it if these were under 17s, had recently made the step up to this league, or were playing for Mill Hill St. Peters, but these are highly trained (cough cough) experienced and very highly remunerated professional players, whose apparent ineptitude is not only baffling, but actually quite annoying.

You could, perhaps, level the same criticism at the entire side - wtf do they do in training? Last night's game was like this was a bunch of blokes whose only common denominator was the blue and white shirt, and who could easily be mistaken for a rag-bag of misfits who had been assembled randomly from a mob of ordinary blokes milling about on Nuttall street 20 minutes before kick off having responded to a club call for volunteers to shore up our depleted ranks..

I mean, these players do know each other, don't they? They do train under the same manager, get drilled on the same game plans and tactics. They do work together at the same club. There IS a plan, a strategy, a mission....Right?

Nope, not on last night's evidence, there isn't.

• Like 4