BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Obscure Rovers Quiz

16 hours ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Always remember wanting per pederson to do well here, never really happened 

Thing is with Pedersen is I was young enough to believe what I read in the programme and not too aware of their ahem, overly positive slant. I thought we had signed an absolute superstar. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

Thing is with Pedersen is I was young enough to believe what I read in the programme and not too aware of their ahem, overly positive slant. I thought we had signed an absolute superstar. 

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/news/6186788.rovers-got-per-fect/

NEW £2.5 million striking target Per Pedersen was due at Blackburn Rovers today on trial.

The Danish international striker, described by Scandinavian sources as the hottest attacking property in the Danish League, plays for Odense Boldklub (OB).

Rovers were one of a number of clubs all over Europe alerted to Pedersen's qualities after he scored four goals in an international.

Arsenal were also possible contenders and Bolton thought they had stolen a march on the rest, with manager Colin Todd travelling to Denmark recently to try to sort out a deal.

In November he scored his first international goal - the winner against France - and, last month, he travelled with the home-based players in the Danish squad to America for training and matches.

On that trip, Pedersen scored all four goals in a 4-1 win over the USA.

BONUS ROUND

21.jpg

22.jpg

23.jpg

24.jpg

25.jpg

26.jpg

Edited by LeftWinger

30 minutes ago, hollowsr said:

Paul Harford (no idea but educated guess)

Marlon Broomes

Vukcevic

Tore Pederson

Gary Croft

Amine Linganzi

I need to be a bit braver in guessing. Would have for Brooms and Croft.

@LeftWinger you found the article. How was a kid meant to not think that was not a superstar we were getting? Reading it now it doesn't seem half as promising. 

Just now, Blue blood said:

I need to be a bit braver in guessing. Would have for Brooms and Croft.

@LeftWinger you found the article. How was a kid meant to not think that was not a superstar we were getting? Reading it now it doesn't seem half as promising. 

I must have been 13 when we signed him and seem to remember being equally as excited.

I just stumbled upon this article from shortly after the days of Per Pedersen...

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football-blackburn-keen-on-casiraghi-to-boost-title-challenge-1293464.html

Pierluigi Casiraghi is the player Roy Hodgson wants to add an additional cutting edge to Blackburn Rovers' attempt to win their second Premiership title in three years.

Hodgson, who has already exceeded expectations by steering Rovers to joint second in the table, wants the 28-year-old Lazio striker to compete with Chris Sutton and Kevin Gallacher. Blackburn can expect to pay a club record pounds 6m to pounds 7m for Casiraghi - but the problem may be wages.

Casiraghi's demands could be too high for the club's owner, Jack Walker. However, Hodgson insists that Rovers need to strengthen their squad with top players. He has also been watching other top strikers, such as Monaco's Thierry Henry and Viktor Ikpeba.

• Like 1

Well that makes signing Pedersen even worse! 

To think we went from possibly Henri to this. Didn't Casiragi play for Chelsea for a bit? Didn't do too well if it's the player I am thinking of. 

What this thread is really showing is my lack of interest in football compared to when I was a kid! 

• Like 1

Well that makes signing Pedersen even worse! 

To think we went from possibly Henri to this. Didn't Casiragi play for Chelsea for a bit? Didn't do too well if it's the player I am thinking of. 

What this thread is really showing is my lack of interest in football compared to when I was a kid! 

Pedersen was signed by Parkes prior to Hodgson arriving to be fair. 

I remember being linked with Casiraghi, but think it was Davies we signed that summer instead. Being linked with Thierry Henry was a new one to me. 

Agree on being way more interested as a kid than now.

• Like 1

Just now, LeftWinger said:

Pedersen was signed by Parkes prior to Hodgson arriving to be fair. 

I remember being linked with Casiraghi, but think it was Davies we signed that summer instead. Being linked with Thierry Henry was a new one to me. 

Agree on being way more interested as a kid than now.

Yes of course it was Parkes. Still Davies instead of Casiraghi or Henry is even worse. 

Strange to say I really enjoyed the Rovers team of those 2 years - Parkes and Roy's first year. A proper British (and Scandinavian) hard man yet likeable team. Lots of potential heroes and characters in that team. 

On 03/11/2020 at 16:43, LeftWinger said:

How many of these 20 'obscure' Rovers players can you name? Some of them are more difficult than others.

1) Jimmy Corbett

1.jpg

2) Hakan Unsal

2.jpg

3) Dario Marcolin

3.jpg

4) Oumar Konde

4.jpg

5) Dino Baggio

5.jpg

6) Niklas Gudmundsson

6.jpg

7) Per Pedersen

7.jpg

8.) Kaba Diawara

8.jpg

9) James Thomas

9.jpg

10) Adam Reed

10.jpg

11) Anders Andersson

11.jpg

12) David Yelldell

12.jpg

13) Javi De Pedro

13.jpg

14) Bruno Berner

14.jpg

15) Maceo Rigters

15.jpg

16) Lars Jacobsen

16.jpg

17) Elrio Van Heerden

17.jpg

18) Herold Goulon

18.jpg

19) Edinho Jr

19.jpg

20) Sacha Petshi

20.jpg

Number 3 just has to be Graeme LeSaux's big brother..............

2 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

Yes of course it was Parkes. Still Davies instead of Casiraghi or Henry is even worse. 

Strange to say I really enjoyed the Rovers team of those 2 years - Parkes and Roy's first year. A proper British (and Scandinavian) hard man yet likeable team. Lots of potential heroes and characters in that team. 

We were great in Hodgson's first few months in charge. Quickly went down hill though.

27.jpg

Edited by LeftWinger
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Gary Croft scored a winner v Chelsea if memory serves me right

I think so. 

I think it was the week or two before he had another heck of a shot from the edge of the area but Gally kind of helped it on its way with a back-heal and cause he got a touch it was credited to Gally. So Croft said he wellied the next one into the top corner to ensure he got the credit.

Again why do I remember this? I forget milk when the missus asks me to get some yet I remember this. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Blue blood said:

I think so. 

I think it was the week or two before he had another heck of a shot from the edge of the area but Gally kind of helped it on its way with a back-heal and cause he got a touch it was credited to Gally. So Croft said he wellied the next one into the top corner to ensure he got the credit.

Again why do I remember this? I forget milk when the missus asks me to get some yet I remember this. 

I’m sure we were flying at that point, top for a week or two, everything looking rosy once again and is thinking we were going for another title challenge before the decline. Probably the last time we were such lofty heights after a good number of games 

Just now, Bbrovers2288 said:

I’m sure we were flying at that point, top for a week or two, everything looking rosy once again and is thinking we were going for another title challenge before the decline. Probably the last time we were such lofty heights after a good number of games 

The whole of that season was crazy. Like you said we had an amazing start. 

We hammered champions Arsenal on their patch before they returned the favour to us later on. 

There were some nutty high scoring games - lost to Leeds 3-4, beat Leicester 5-3. 

We got into Europe in the last game of the season beating the Barcodes with a thunderbolt free kick from Sutton. Will certainly remember that one for a long time. 

• Like 1

The whole of that season was crazy. Like you said we had an amazing start. 

We hammered champions Arsenal on their patch before they returned the favour to us later on. 

There were some nutty high scoring games - lost to Leeds 3-4, beat Leicester 5-3. 

We got into Europe in the last game of the season beating the Barcodes with a thunderbolt free kick from Sutton. Will certainly remember that one for a long time. 

I absolutely love that season. So many great memories. I don't know if it was because I was 8 at the time, but being at Ewood that season felt special. The atmosphere, the quality of football, it was just brilliant. I personally feel that was the peak of the Blackburn End in terms of noise and support. As a kid sat in the Riverside, I was amazed by it. One game that always sticks in my mind is the 3-2 win against Everton in 1997. We were 2-1 down and Neville Southall looked unbeatable that day. Rovers threw the kitchen sink at them in the second half but couldn't score. How thrilling were those last 10 minutes though? Duffer gets us level, then I remember us going all out for the winner. When Sherwood headed in the winner the place erupted. How I miss those days.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, SuperBrfc said:

I absolutely love that season. So many great memories. I don't know if it was because I was 8 at the time, but being at Ewood that season felt special. The atmosphere, the quality of football, it was just brilliant. I personally feel that was the peak of the Blackburn End in terms of noise and support. As a kid sat in the Riverside, I was amazed by it. One game that always sticks in my mind is the 3-2 win against Everton in 1997. We were 2-1 down and Neville Southall looked unbeatable that day. Rovers threw the kitchen sink at them in the second half but couldn't score. How thrilling were those last 10 minutes though? Duffer gets us level, then I remember us going all out for the winner. When Sherwood headed in the winner the place erupted. How I miss those days.

Definitely my favourite season of attending. My kids will never understand when I try and explain what it used to be like when we’re sat in the Blackburn end staring out at empty seats in silence losing to Luton . I pray that one day they get to experience those kinds of seasons and games with me .

21 minutes ago, Oldgregg86 said:

Definitely my favourite season of attending. My kids will never understand when I try and explain what it used to be like when we’re sat in the Blackburn end staring out at empty seats in silence losing to Luton . I pray that one day they get to experience those kinds of seasons and games with me .

I think it's probably one of my top two seasons attending too. The other contenders being under Souness promotion season and first year back in the Prem. 

Edited by Blue blood
  • Like 1