Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 767
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The dam broke yesterday. Trump's rhetoric finally did what he's always wanted it to, and once order was restored many of those blind to his ways opened their eyes to the fact that Trump is dangerous. 

I think Devontae Harris made the point most Black people in America are thinking today   

Tell you what, whatever side of the fence you sit on, the behaviour of Trump and his supporters since Biden started getting ahead has been pathetic, embarrassing and infantile.  The bloke was pretty

Posted Images

The 'QAnon Shaman' guy with a horned hat in the US Capitol riots has refused to eat food the last few days because he only eats organic.

Best comment I've seen on the matter simply reads:

'Shit's organic, eat that.'

Link to post
Share on other sites

I gave just watched ITVs ''Storming the Capitol - The Inside Story'' and if you havent already done so I do recommend this to you.

I have watched, on a daily basis, the story unfold over the past 6 months via US News channels and social media but nothing I have previously seen approaches this programme in quality of detail, presentation and production.

Congrats to ITV and especially to Roberts Moore, the superb reporter.

Link to post
Share on other sites

When it was happening.

The US channels were in studios with occasional inside shots and long shots from the other end of the Mall.

BSkyB were broadcasting from the top of the steps

ITN/ Robert Moore were running around inside with Moore obviously carefully not saying exactly where he was so the rioters gathering around him didn't get any ideas...

Link to post
Share on other sites

It looks like the final vote was 232-197. 10 Republicans voted for it. 

It will now be handed over to the Senate. McConnell said earlier today that he won't reconvene the Senate early to conduct the trial. I think that they meet again on the 19th. Probably not enough time to vote. Biden's inauguration happens on the 20th, then the Democrats take over the Senate.

I'm lost on how it works once the change happens. 

It has been widely reported that McConnell has had enough of Trump. However, he's a cunning sort so who knows what he's up to. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gav said:

Trump in the process of being impeached for a 2nd time, result should be in by around 10pm UK time.

CNN showing proceedings live.

I stayed up to watch the debate and vote, via CNN

I think McConnell wants Trump gone and the trial when the Democrats run the Senate and doesn't want Don Jr in his backyard plus the debacle that may/will happen after conviction.

Reminds me of 1962 and as a 10 year old checking the BBC early evening news when I got home from school to see is we were going to be blown up. It remains a vivid memory.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think by planning the trial for after the 20th, Trump legally becomes an 'ex-president', so there are harsher penalties available such as not allowed to hold future public or federal office.

MIL reckons potentially suspension of his Pension and/or Secret Service detail too, but I'm not sure on those.

Edited by Mike E
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

I stayed up to watch the debate and vote, via CNN

I think McConnell wants Trump gone and the trial when the Democrats run the Senate and doesn't want Don Jr in his backyard plus the debacle that may/will happen after conviction.

Reminds me of 1962 and as a 10 year old checking the BBC early evening news when I got home from school to see is we were going to be blown up. It remains a vivid memory.

Me too. We came within an ace of an all out war back then.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Mike E said:

I think by planning the trial for after the 20th, Trump legally becomes an 'ex-president', so there are harsher penalties available such as not allowed to hold future public or federal office.

MIL reckons potentially suspension of his Pension and/or Secret Service detail too, but I'm not sure on those.

I also heard on one of the channels that if found guilty he loses all ex-Presidential perks - Pension, Healthcare, Flights were mentioned.

I see that Deutsche Bank have now disowned him .....

Edited by AllRoverAsia
Link to post
Share on other sites

Two other banks are closing all relationships with him.

Multiple reports that some Republicans were only voting against impeachment because of terror threats against them and their families from their own supporters.

Huge question mark over how a political party can survive in such circumstances.

Having read some more about Qanon, it strikes me it's adherents will need detoxifying in the way extremist Islam has to be handled.

That is one huge job of identification of which ones are potential terrorists (thankfully only a tiny subset of the most indoctrinated) and then a huge time consuming task of walking them back down the road which took them there.

As many claim Christianity, the Churches have a huge role in this detoxification of individuals but the Churches need monitoring in the same way as Mosques for fermenting and breeding this stuff.

In the final analysis it is the same chapters appearing in both the Old Testament and the Quran which are used by the extremists.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, philipl said:

Two other banks are closing all relationships with him.

Multiple reports that some Republicans were only voting against impeachment because of terror threats against them and their families from their own supporters.

Huge question mark over how a political party can survive in such circumstances.

Having read some more about Qanon, it strikes me it's adherents will need detoxifying in the way extremist Islam has to be handled.

That is one huge job of identification of which ones are potential terrorists (thankfully only a tiny subset of the most indoctrinated) and then a huge time consuming task of walking them back down the road which took them there.

As many claim Christianity, the Churches have a huge role in this detoxification of individuals but the Churches need monitoring in the same way as Mosques for fermenting and breeding this stuff.

In the final analysis it is the same chapters appearing in both the Old Testament and the Quran which are used by the extremists.

I saw a video of a group having a prayer meeting inside the Capitol during the terrorist event.

It seems, as is the norm, that everyone of all sides and persuasion has God and the Constitution on their side.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Religion really should be wiped off the face of the planet. 

It isn't even an educated belief anymore and it is staggering that it is even allowed to be mentioned in the same breath as the Constitution given its supposed ties to freedom and democracy.

The same wars have been fought for thousands of years - no one learns. 

Edited by Dreams of 1995
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, philipl said:

Two other banks are closing all relationships with him.

Multiple reports that some Republicans were only voting against impeachment because of terror threats against them and their families from their own supporters.

Huge question mark over how a political party can survive in such circumstances.

Having read some more about Qanon, it strikes me it's adherents will need detoxifying in the way extremist Islam has to be handled.

That is one huge job of identification of which ones are potential terrorists (thankfully only a tiny subset of the most indoctrinated) and then a huge time consuming task of walking them back down the road which took them there.

As many claim Christianity, the Churches have a huge role in this detoxification of individuals but the Churches need monitoring in the same way as Mosques for fermenting and breeding this stuff.

In the final analysis it is the same chapters appearing in both the Old Testament and the Quran which are used by the extremists.

That's a good point on the Qanon indoctrination. There needs to be a concerted effort to combat it. 

It's downright batty but has plenty of believers. 

Trump not being president will help as the megaphone will be smaller, but it needs a lot more effort. 

I'd guess that the adherents spend more time in evangelical circles than not. Some pundits have called for prominent ministers on that side of the aisle to come out and condemn it. Will they? It all depends on how much money they can make from it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, philipl said:

Multiple reports that some Republicans were only voting against impeachment because of terror threats against them and their families from their own supporters.

I thought about this at the time of the voting Phil. Those 10 Republicans have been very brave and surely will be looking over their shoulders for some time.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, speeeeeeedie said:

I'd guess that the adherents spend more time in evangelical circles than not.

These churches financed many of the "Trump demonstrators" trip to Washington.

They think they are doing God's work!

There was one bloke wandering round the Capitol he'd illegally invaded  waving a huge flag containing one word "Jesus".

No exclamation mark either.

Can't get my head around that.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, 47er said:

These churches financed many of the "Trump demonstrators" trip to Washington.

They think they are doing God's work!

There was one bloke wandering round the Capitol he'd illegally invaded  waving a huge flag containing one word "Jesus".

No exclamation mark either.

Can't get my head around that.

 

Me either. They are strict in their following of Jesus; a pious, generous man if the bible is anything to go by. Yet they have no sympathy for anybody. It's every man for themselves, and don't be poor or unfortunate; you'll really be scorned for that.

Ronald Reagan was largely responsible for the successful marriage between the Republican party and evangelical Christians.

Before him they were mostly separate. Reagan saw an opportunity and early adopters on the evangelical side were all to happy to sign on. The likes of Jerry Falwell and James Dobson were founder members and it's now being carried on on by heirs like Franklin Graham (son of Billy), and Falwell's son Jerry Jr. (not so much these days - he's worth a google search though) who have a large voice and have enjoyed a prominent position ever since.

They need to be prepared to be arrested soon enough so they need to start preying. The Feds have mobile phone location data for anyone who had a phone on them in the Capitol. The confederate flag waver was arrested today as was the bloke who allegedly threw a fire extinguisher that ended up killing a copper.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.