BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers v QPR Sat 7th November

Just now, Elvis Biro said:

I was watching the Rovers once at White Hart Lane when Shearer was in his pomp. Late on it was 2-2, although we should have been winning. The ball got lumped diagonally from our left back right into the inside right channel, virtually at Shearer's feet. I saw the Spurs fans on the other 3 sides get up as one man and head for the exits, as everyone knew there could only be one result - a Shearer goal and a Rovers win. And so it proved.

That sounds like the equivalent of returning your pool queue to the wall when your opponent is on the black... hoping to put them off! ☺️

• Backroom
3 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

To be honest, the club pundits will inevitably be biased, that’s certainly to be expected. 

It's one thing being biased, it's another thing coming across like it's the 1st game of football you've ever watched.

For example, when teams time waste I don't really get mad at the player, it's to be expected right, i get mad at the ref for not getting on top of it.

One of them said something like: "I can't believe Blackburn have it slowed it down to a snail's pace." 

I'm thinking can't you?! Because I've seen it about a thousand times before so not much of a surprise is it. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Elvis Biro said:

I was watching the Rovers once at White Hart Lane when Shearer was in his pomp. Late on it was 2-2, although we should have been winning. The ball got lumped diagonally from our left back right into the inside right channel, virtually at Shearer's feet. I saw the Spurs fans on the other 3 sides get up as one man and head for the exits, as everyone knew there could only be one result - a Shearer goal and a Rovers win. And so it proved.

I was at that game and yes, it was mental. Shearer was a phenomenon, and any team with a talisman of that quality is going to do well. You can see how much confidence plays a tremendous part in todays game though - Reading tubbed again, at home this time, just goes to show. If a manager can instil a little steel in a side, then there is the potential for a good run. With our squad, maybe this is possible (but with this manager?????)

29 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

They are terrible and I'm sure that one of them said today or though I could have misheard that they thought the penalty was given for handball by Kaminski.

Very annoying when their matey lovein banter is going on whilst the oppo are on a breakaway. How they didn't see that Evans had done his hammy not his knee?

21 minutes ago, tomphil said:

To be fair to Pears he's still a novice but the experience of Kaminski really shows and that's what we've been missing for years. Doesn't matter he might not be a worldy but being calm and mentally solid will go a hell of a long way between the sticks.

It's not just experience though. Kaminski is a different sort of keeper to any we've had, or most you find anywhere in this division.

Genuinely good outfield player - positioning, heading, passing. He's pure quality. My early feeling is he will be player of the season potentially.

• Like 3

Just now, joey_big_nose said:

It's not just experience though. Kaminski is a different sort of keeper to any we've had, or most you find anywhere in this division.

Genuinely good outfield player - positioning, heading, passing. He's pure quality. My early feeling is he will be player of the season potentially.

Because he's more mature and settled that leads to being able to read the game better. He must also have a very cool character considering he's switched country as well as club.

2 hours ago, Hasta said:

Andy Cole.

175 goals for Rovers, Newcastle and Man United alone.  229 goals in total. England International. Record British transfer. All round top class striker.

Dodgy at one on ones.

Good striker but top class? If he were he wouldn’t have ended up at Blackburn when still in his prime years in all honesty. And why he was overlooked for England. Missed too many chances he should’ve buried. Sure somebody said he needs 4,5 to find the net. 
not taking anything away from him, he was decent enough for us but the point doesn’t work because his archives heel held him back just as I’m saying the same could be for armstrong 

Much needed and much deserved win. What a difference Rothwell, Johnson, Kaminski make to this team. It also obviously goes without saying how important Armstrong is to us. 

I said before the two games this week that 4 points would be a good return and that's what we got. As Phillip said above, we're not too badly positioned in the table and the gap could have been a lot worse. Hopefully we can now get the majority of our players back and push on. 

Rothwell was exceptional today, Johnson made a big difference, JRC had one of his best games, and Breo continues to establish himself as one of the most important cogs in our team. Wharton looks like he's improved a lot. He's a good old fashioned defender who will head and kick anything that comes his way. His distribution is poor but overall I was impressed. 

Elliot didn't do a lot but he's got that little bit of magic that can change a game. What a ball for the crucial second goal. A special talent. 

I'm going to enjoy an international break for once! 

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Jimmy Greaves for me, if he was through on a one on one the opposition could get ready to kick off again. He had the lot, shots placed past the keeper or a dribble round him, it didn't matter to Jimmy.

Agree, Greaves had the lot and I liked his style when he used to just pass the ball into the net.

However, lest we forget, it was our very own Andy McEvoy who shared the golden boot with Jimmy Greaves.

• Like 1

• Backroom
19 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Sure somebody said he needs 4,5 to find the net. 

That was certainly the reputation he had back then. 

I was sat next to Spurs fans at 2002 cup final and they spent the whole game slagging him, saying exactly that. "Cole is ****! He needs 4 or 5 efforts to score. No way we get beat by a team with him leading the line."

The smug grin on my face when he scored the winner. ?

I muttered something like " Was that effort 4 or 5?!"

Fair play to them, they said congratulations, you were better team and deserved the win at final whistle before they left. 

• Like 3

Seems fairly simple that emotions will run higher after a dreadful performance/defeat or even a thumping win. I’d guess the Wycombe/derby/Coventry games were a hive of activity in terms of posts equal to defeats.

But today was just meh. I think a lot have realised that the bigger picture for rovers under Mowbray is mid table mediocrity. We’ll probably average out a season with as many wins, draws and defeats. Nothing to get too exited about or unnecessarily wound up by. 

• Moderation Lead

Hi- just to be clear, can we have less posts fishing for a response, I.e ‘this thread is definitely quieter after a win’. We’ve won, we don’t need point scoring thanks.

• Like 4

Enjoyed watching the game today. Thought Johnson, Rothwell and Kaminski made a big difference. Brereton grows with each match and Elliott was superb. Arma keeps scoring so let's hope his purple patch continues. Buckley continues to flatter to deceive and Nyambe needs more confidence to go forward rather than suddenly stopping and playing the ball back 20+ yards. JRC had a solid game and Wharton did ok. Overall a good day at the office. 2 weeks off now giving us time to get some bodies back. We remain in touch with the top 6 so keep the faith! ?

Cole was a class striker Souness played a blinder getting him here and we paid 8 million for him and probably about 30 grand per week, massive fee and money back then.  So to say he wouldn't have ended up at Blackburn if he was class is a bit wide of the mark. It obviously made sense to him beyond football reasons as well.

The competition in terms of good English strikers was quite high then and he was an out and out poacher type.  As we know you have to tailor your game to them.

Kaminski's style is entertaining when he plays the role of a central defender by coming well outside his area. Obvious it's in TM's script but I dread the game when someone misplaces a pass and the opposition take advantage of an empty net. More than happy with him in goal though especially since the team has full confidence in his ability.

Edited by Cherry Blue
  • Like 2

I’ve finally accepted that age old term just focus on the next game.

Ive seen our next 3, I’ve got excited, but I’ve been burnt last 2 seasons especially with win able games.

So focus solely on Luton for me! Got burnt last time so a win will feel like a cup final victory.

• Like 2