BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers v QPR Sat 7th November

3 minutes ago, Darrenbot said:

Lots of optimism on here again after a win,So far the teams weve beaten this season are 18,21,22,24th in the league,i'll start getting exited when they eventually beat a half decent team.

Thing is, that's a total turnaround from the past 2 seasons where we struggled against lesser teams but tended to excel against those at the top. TM used to annoyingly big up the teams at the bottom and we often played as if we were frightened to death. He's stopped doing that and we've generally played without fear and put them to the sword. I can't say specifically what the recipe was for beating the better teams but if we recovered it, we'd be a force to be reckoned with.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, dallydally said:

He is too easily pushed off the ball. When he loses possession he doesn't bust a gut to get back/try to retrieve it. All opinions - yours and mine - but I regard him as overrated

Surprised no-one has mentioned he provided the crosses for Wharton’s near miss and for the first goal. No-one else who ends up with the ball outside the front right corner of the penalty area - e.g. Nyambe, Travis, Evans - can cross like that.

• Like 4

21 hours ago, danger19_80 said:

Is Gallagher the only major stick left to beat Mowbray with transfer-wise now?

No, it isnt about having a "stick" to beat the manager with, but if we was to judge at this point then Brereton still would very much come under the unsuccessful signing category and for a ghastly fee too.

Obviously one thing that Brereton has done this season is start to show glimmers of promise and potential that he could prove to be an asset which prior to this season did not seem to be the case at all. Of course he will need to step up a couple more levels further before the fee and justifying that fee becomes a genuine conversation.

I suspect that I am not on my own in feeling especially pleased when he scored even compared to anyone else though.

Overall, I still think that Mowbrays transfer record is a mixed bag. 2 main success stories in Dack and Armstrong and 2 main expensive question marks. Then beneath that, quite a few shorter term successes, some cheaper failures, and quite a few in the middle who flatter to deceive. It isnt a case of one big stick to beat the manager for amidst an otherwise successful history, it is mixed, good, bad and indifferent all included.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

No, it isnt about having a "stick" to beat the manager with, but if we was to judge at this point then Brereton still would very much come under the unsuccessful signing category and for a ghastly fee too.

Obviously one thing that Brereton has done this season is start to show glimmers of promise and potential that he could prove to be an asset which prior to this season did not seem to be the case at all. Of course he will need to step up a couple more levels further before the fee and justifying that fee becomes a genuine conversation.

I suspect that I am not on my own in feeling especially pleased when he scored even compared to anyone else though.

Overall, I still think that Mowbrays transfer record is a mixed bag. 2 main success stories in Dack and Armstrong and 2 main expensive question marks. Then beneath that, quite a few shorter term successes, some cheaper failures, and quite a few in the middle who flatter to deceive. It isnt a case of one big stick to beat the manager for amidst an otherwise successful history, it is mixed, good, bad and indifferent all included.

I don’t disagree but I think if brereton can consistently show the levels he’s been showing recently then he’ll he well worth the £7m. Just hope he can keep it up

10 hours ago, Ossydave said:

Its absolutely no coincidence that Elliott on Tuesday, with quite frankly less able team mates around him, was poor.

With Rothwell, Brereton, Armstrong and to an extent Johnson round him he looked a class act. Its easy to forget this lad usually trains with the likes of Sadio Mane etc.

We must hope and pray Armstrong stays fit now, throw Dack in the mix and something pretty special is possible.

I think Elliott game improves when Armstrong plays cos defences drop off 10 yards deeper and its creates more space for his game and his influence on the team. 

7 hours ago, A Northern Horde... said:

I think the next question regarding Armstrong should be how much can we resist a bid for him come January?...

Why would Rovers think of selling him?

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Brereton improvement came after the Lockdown finished and the season resumes. I think its took Brereton a long time to settle into the team, area of living and him maturing and growing up. 

Brereton has show glimmers of promise and potential? I think it has been more than that in 2 goals and 4 assist and I would happy if he could achieve double figures for both. But his performances this season has been vastly improved and been good overall

Evans to me was a real disappointment. The first time he got the ball I was screaming at him to pass it or clear it upfield. But no. He dithered and dallied and got robbed. So, stretching to retrieve it, he pulls his hamstring. That means he cannot play for NI next week........We'll see.

I haven't always agreed with those who want shut of him but my thinking now is don't pick him again and get rid a.s.a.p.

• Like 5

A great win and richly deserved. I was so relieved to see Kaminski, Armstrong and Johnson back.

Well done TM and the team!

Is that the 4th/5th different centre- half pairing in just a few games?

I am not watching the league table, so much as the distance we are from the playoffs.

Really hoping the absence jinx does not continue and we can get some selection consistency after the break..( famous last words) I have totally given up on Evans and Gallagher and we have the players-if they remain fit- to ensure these two have delighted us for long enough!

Our squad is better than it has been for years. The last time we had a really good squad, it was wasted by Bowyer's inexperience...

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Good striker but top class? If he were he wouldn’t have ended up at Blackburn when still in his prime years in all honesty. And why he was overlooked for England. Missed too many chances he should’ve buried. Sure somebody said he needs 4,5 to find the net. 
not taking anything away from him, he was decent enough for us but the point doesn’t work because his archives heel held him back just as I’m saying the same could be for armstrong 

If you are saying one on one's will hold Armstrong back from being in the top class Aguero, Ibra, Shearer, Messi, Ronaldo bracket, then I think there's far more to his games he needs to improve upon.  

Without ever having seen him play, I hold my hands up to being an Elliot-sceptic when we signed him. Not any slight on his talent, but it's so rare that a 17 year old boy can come into man's football straight away and do the business consistently. 

Remains to be seen how he'll deal with the rigours of a long season, but so far I'm eating my words. Tremendous talent who without question will go far. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Superunknown said:

Someone from The Athletic has written a piece on Harvey Elliott after watching him yesterday. Very Liverpool oriented and behind a paywall but a good piece nonetheless. https://theathletic.co.uk/2184442/2020/11/08/harvey-elliott-loan-watch-liverpool-blackburn/  if you're interested 

Interested enough to pay for it? Not in the slightest.

On 07/11/2020 at 17:41, simongarnerisgod said:

best players i ever saw at one to ones were careca the brazilian and matt jansen,anyone remember his goal at bolton when he put their keeper on his backside and walked it into the net?

Roy Wegerlie versus Coventry City... one for the 90’s fans. Mind you they did sign him despite that.

• Like 2

On 07/11/2020 at 11:32, Exiled_Rover said:

Ben Brereton this season in the Championship: 10 appearances, 2 goals, 3 assists. 

Apology accepted. 

What won't show up is is Brereton back in our half helping out on defence.  Won the ball and brought it out on on more than one occasion.  Was pleased with BB today.

• Like 3

On 07/11/2020 at 12:11, slowmo said:

Dolan reminds me of the road runner at the moment, just without the running. Faces up ,a wherl of legs which confuses , then passes backwards. I like him but ... Pleased with the performance , arma worth 20 m plus and so important to our best way of playing , lost without him . Can't wait until dack is back add him to this , plus Travis and the new rothwell & Ben etc then we are really rolling. Future looks bright I just want it now 

Yeah, young Trav is a big miss.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Superunknown said:

Someone from The Athletic has written a piece on Harvey Elliott after watching him yesterday. Very Liverpool oriented and behind a paywall but a good piece nonetheless. https://theathletic.co.uk/2184442/2020/11/08/harvey-elliott-loan-watch-liverpool-blackburn/  if you're interested 

image.thumb.png.69f9be8ad370809c1291716c5a21e723.png

Love how Elliot is telling Nyambe where to run as he takes on the QPR guy.

• Like 6

I can't help but be quietly excited at what we have building here.  Yes I can be as negative as any but if things really start.to click with Trav and Dacky back we will be a handful.for anybody. 

Quite excited at our young uns coming through. I know I have.been quite critical about ToMo and his usage and poor handling of the young uns but some of these showings have been decent.  Our whole back line are from our academy, basically, yes they may have been on other big teams books at some point but we took them on showed faith and gave em a chance.  Nyambe we will lose due to Mowbrays handling of him.  I think Leninhan has been tapped up already nut if we can hang on to them, hoping with a better manager, DJ even it think we can go places.  Elliot we are never going to keep so enjoy while we can but we have some good young talent whether it started life as a Rover ir not.  Wharton showed very well yesterday.and got me wondering how he might do instead if Lenihan alongside Ayala.  What is JRC's strongest position cos when Douglas is back I would surely like to see him play there a few games.

One last Mowbray.mention, I was mortified.to see his reaction to all our goals on Saturday.  I have.never.noticed before but is he always this way?  He sat stoic and totally devoid of any emotion everytime we scored.  I find that a bit concerning.

Edited by USABlue
  • Like 1

Quite a few comments about Adam Armstrong being a bit wasteful on here and that he needs to improve on that if he wants to play at the top level.

According to the BBC, he's scored 11 from 41 shots in the Championship, a conversion rate of 27%.

It's worth noting that there are a few at the top level with a worse conversion rate than Armstrong this season - notably:

Harry Kane 24%

Sadio Mane 24%

Raul Jimenez 21%

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

Quite a few comments about Adam Armstrong being a bit wasteful on here and that he needs to improve on that if he wants to play at the top level.

According to the BBC, he's scored 11 from 41 shots in the Championship, a conversion rate of 27%.

It's worth noting that there are a few at the top level with a worse conversion rate than Armstrong this season - notably:

Harry Kane 24%

Sadio Mane 24%

Raul Jimenez 21%

People talking about Adam Armstrong being wasteful is extremely harsh. 11 goals would be snapped up by most other championship clubs. Who remembers Andy Cole...made a living by constantly scoring but wasting numerous others...won near enough every trophy in club football!

Edited by Pedrotherover

14 hours ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

Without ever having seen him play, I hold my hands up to being an Elliot-sceptic when we signed him. Not any slight on his talent, but it's so rare that a 17 year old boy can come into man's football straight away and do the business consistently. 

Remains to be seen how he'll deal with the rigours of a long season, but so far I'm eating my words. Tremendous talent who without question will go far. 

Elliott has both the ability and nous to be cute.

Watch him, he doesn't have that much body to body contact with the opposition because of his speed of thought, anticipation and breathtaking ability on the ball plus range of passing and intelligent running off the ball.

An unbelievable talent who will go on to be among the top half dozen player in this country and perhaps become a globally important player.