BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Luton Town v Rovers Sat 21st Nov. 3pm

2 hours ago, Mercer said:

I think you are right, in fact up until July's 3-2 defeat, I can't even remember Rovers ever scoring more than one goal there in a league match - worse still, when I've been on that poxy ground, I've never even seen Rovers score a goal in either league or cup!

Surprised they still play there as I remember a number of years ago they were meant to be moving to a new stadium very close to J10 of the M1.

Only been once , the season Luton got promoted around 1982 , we got beat 2 nil , I think near the end of the season..

Went on the train via London ...A bit dodgy on the platforms if I remember ..

Edited by Waggy76
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Waggy76 said:

Only been once , the season Luton got promoted around 1982 , we got beat 2 nil , I think near the end of the season..

Went on the train via London ...A bit dodgy on the platforms if I remember ..

Yes...i was in the Luton end because the junior rovers tickets were in there...

They kept singing in their cockeny accents " we're going up, we're going up, you're not, you're not..." tossers 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mercer said:

I think you are right, in fact up until July's 3-2 defeat, I can't even remember Rovers ever scoring more than one goal there in a league match - worse still, when I've been on that poxy ground, I've never even seen Rovers score a goal in either league or cup!

Surprised they still play there as I remember a number of years ago they were meant to be moving to a new stadium very close to J10 of the M1.

They now have planning permission on a site in central Luton quite near the Railway station.

Mind you they have had a new ground story running for over 60 years and are still in a garden shed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

Yes...i was in the Luton end because the junior rovers tickets were in there...

They kept singing in their cockeny accents " we're going up, we're going up, you're not, you're not..." tossers 

Luton is a bit far from the Bow Bells to be called cockney....

Not sure what to call a Luton accent to be honest?

Just now, Sparks Rover said:

Its a funny accent...i was young so all those accemts sounded londonish

Yeah, I grew up in the home counties and it's weird. Everyone has slightly different accents but nothing particularly locatable - just  generally "Southern" - the two key exceptions being an Essex accent and proper Cockney which are immediately identifiable and you know exactly where the person is from.

Never been down there was scheduled to go in the cup that early kick off when i think Samba made his debut.  The night before got out of hand though so i missed the transport.

Think we won quite comfortably but i don't think this one will be as comfy we are often useless just after these breaks.

0 - 0

On 12/11/2020 at 16:01, JHRover said:

They've got permission to start on their new ground but as yet no work done. It's actually going to be slap bang in the town centre next to the railway station so should be a decent new ground maybe like Rotherham rather than on an industrial estate in the middle of nowhere.

Kenilworth Road is horrendous. Easy to see why visiting sides don't like it and don't feel comfortable there.

They had some sort of legal challenge I believe from Intu after they received planning permission, not entirely sure what became of it but as far as I know they're good to proceed now.

I've only ever been to Kenilworth Road once - that FA Cup fixture where Samba made his debut - my overriding memory of the day is the abuse Luton keeper Marlon Beresford got from us for his claret and blue past.

As someone too young to remember the olden days pre-Taylor Report and all that, I still love the likes of Kenilworth Road and Griffin Park. Give me (safe!) tightly hemmed in, cramped old school grounds a million times over a 'perfect' soulless box in the middle of nowhere. Some of them are occasionally decent - Derby and Rotherham - but Reading and Leicester? Dreadful days out.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, GHR said:

They had some sort of legal challenge I believe from Intu after they received planning permission, not entirely sure what became of it but as far as I know they're good to proceed now.

I've only ever been to Kenilworth Road once - that FA Cup fixture where Samba made his debut - my overriding memory of the day is the abuse Luton keeper Marlon Beresford got from us for his claret and blue past.

As someone too young to remember the olden days pre-Taylor Report and all that, I still love the likes of Kenilworth Road and Griffin Park. Give me (safe!) tightly hemmed in, cramped old school grounds a million times over a 'perfect' soulless box in the middle of nowhere. Some of them are occasionally decent - Derby and Rotherham - but Reading and Leicester? Dreadful days out.

Last fall when the wife & I visited the Madejski (sp?) to see Rovers play, the bus dropped us off in basically an industrial park- Costco, etc. there was one little strip of green we walked to the stadium. Looked too much like many of our American grounds. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WacoRover said:

Last fall when the wife & I visited the Madejski (sp?) to see Rovers play, the bus dropped us off in basically an industrial park- Costco, etc. there was one little strip of green we walked to the stadium. Looked too much like many of our American grounds. 

Many years ago a friend dragged me along to watch his lads Fulham playing at Wycombe Wanderers. Adams Park is literally in the middle of an industrial estate. Hideous.

6 minutes ago, Ossydave said:

Filbert Street was a right dive, if you were anywhere near the front you were literally below pitch level.  The battered old roof was leaking all over the place too.

Yeh I remember a night match at Filbert Street where the eye level was literally the same height as the linesman's boots. I don't recall the score but remembered being dragged to a nightclub in Leicester afterwards, where I bumped into Graham Fenton and Robbie Savage.

1 hour ago, Ossydave said:

Filbert Street was a right dive, if you were anywhere near the front you were literally below pitch level.  The battered old roof was leaking all over the place too.

Dire atmosphere as well for a small ground.

4 hours ago, WacoRover said:

I can imagine for an American something like the Madejski would be very familiar.

For me, one of the best things about British football, and it still remains true by and large, is that the clubs are so ingrained within the towns and cities they represent. Even though the clubs have grown into global brands, stadiums like Anfield, Goodison Park and even Spurs' new place still sit within the suburbs, with all the pubs and other landmarks that have served the locals for decades. For me, Ewood Park rising out of the rows of terrace houses and narrow backstreets around Ewood is as synonymous with the club as the blue and white halves. I would hate to spend my Saturdays traipsing to an industrial estate, miles from a pub but with plenty of Pizza Huts, to sit in a perfectly symmetrical bowl that could just as easily be in a different end of the country altogether. Thank God we chose to redevelop Ewood in the 90s instead of flogging it to the highest bidder and moving to wherever we fitted. Like North End managed at Deepdale, we ended up with a thoroughly decent modern stadium (well, three sides of one) whilst staying on the patch we've occupied for 130 years now.

Anyway, about the Luton match...

Edited by GHR
  • Like 8

19 hours ago, GHR said:

I can imagine for an American something like the Madejski would be very familiar.

For me, one of the best things about British football, and it still remains true by and large, is that the clubs are so ingrained within the towns and cities they represent. Even though the clubs have grown into global brands, stadiums like Anfield, Goodison Park and even Spurs' new place still sit within the suburbs, with all the pubs and other landmarks that have served the locals for decades. For me, Ewood Park rising out of the rows of terrace houses and narrow backstreets around Ewood is as synonymous with the club as the blue and white halves. I would hate to spend my Saturdays traipsing to an industrial estate, miles from a pub but with plenty of Pizza Huts, to sit in a perfectly symmetrical bowl that could just as easily be in a different end of the country altogether. Thank God we chose to redevelop Ewood in the 90s instead of flogging it to the highest bidder and moving to wherever we fitted. Like North End managed at Deepdale, we ended up with a thoroughly decent modern stadium (well, three sides of one) whilst staying on the patch we've occupied for 130 years now.

Anyway, about the Luton match...

We loved our visit to Ewood. The club treated us like royalty- two middle-aged Texans allowed to ramble all over the ground, dressing rooms, managers suite, 1875 boardroom, & hospitality area. I couldn’t have asked for a better trip... unless Simon Garner or Derek Fazackerley had been on hand to guide us!  

• Like 4