BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Luton Town v Rovers Sat 21st Nov. 3pm

Bit disingenuous, just because he wasn’t deemed ‘injured’, does mean managers thought he was fit to play/can play twice a week. He does well to get over 30 starts a season and it’s often been way below that...

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/daniel-ayala/leistungsdaten/spieler/78966/plus/0?saison=2012

With Williams and Lenihan also being injury prone it’s no surprise Wharton has not been sent on loan.

Edited by Mattyblue

They do all this research beforehand they tell us enough, how many deals have fallen through because of it ?  A few i'll bet.

Yet when it comes to ex boro players......

In all honesty old pals acts aside Rovers have long had a policy under venkys of chucking risky contracts to older or injury prone players. I think TM in his stint think he can cover them so collects a few extras especially in midfield as we all know Holtby, Evans, Johnson are never going to play back to back games for any period of time even if we only had 1 per week.

Given that it's odd we didn't get another centre half of some sort through the door but nothing new we've been here before. It's a risky policy to operate though and i feel is another thing that holds us back a bit. Getting decent players here these days has proved difficult though so it's something we have to live with if you want a bit of quality and experience in the squad.

We still should've signed Bauer though he would have proved decent vfm by now for sure, no world beater but no worse than anything we've got. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tomphil said:

They do all this research beforehand they tell us enough, how many deals have fallen through because of it ?  A few i'll bet.

Yet when it comes to ex boro players......

In all honesty old pals acts aside Rovers have long had a policy under venkys of chucking risky contracts to older or injury prone players. I think TM in his stint think he can cover them so collects a few extras especially in midfield as we all know Holtby, Evans, Johnson are never going to play back to back games for any period of time even if we only had 1 per week.

Given that it's odd we didn't get another centre half of some sort through the door but nothing new we've been here before. It's a risky policy to operate though and i feel is another thing that holds us back a bit. Getting decent players here these days has proved difficult though so it's something we have to live with if you want a bit of quality and experience in the squad.

We still should've signed Bauer though he would have proved decent vfm by now for sure, no world beater but no worse than anything we've got. 

Ayala when fit is one of the best centre backs in the league and would get into most teams. Hugely experienced, multiple promotion winner and captain. He’s worth the risk for me, if we get him starting 32 games (or whatever the average earlier in this thread) he will pay for himself. 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, philipl said:

From transfer mart:

DANIEL AYALA INJURY HISTORY

Season Injury from until Days Games missed
20/21 Groin Strain Oct 22, 2020 Nov 22, 2020 31 days 6Blackburn Rovers
19/20 Ankle Injury Jan 2, 2020 Sep 27, 2020 269 days 6Middlesbrough FCBlackburn Rovers
16/17 Ankle Injury Jul 6, 2016 Aug 20, 2016 45 days 1Middlesbrough FC
13/14 Ankle Injury Feb 2, 2014 Apr 11, 2014 68 days 12Middlesbrough FC
11/12 Ankle Injury Feb 4, 2012 Mar 3, 2012 28 days 5Norwich City
11/12 Knee Injury Aug 25, 2011 Sep 10, 2011 16 days 1Norwich City

I don't know the credibility of this website but it covers the missing years from above. He missed almost a third of each of the seasons.

https://www.flashscore.com/player/ayala-daniel/OtrQ5vXo/

Just now, J*B said:

Ayala when fit is one of the best centre backs in the league and would get into most teams. Hugely experienced, multiple promotion winner and captain. He’s worth the risk for me, if we get him starting 32 games (or whatever the average earlier in this thread) he will pay for himself. 

32 is a good season, his average is 20 odd.

You’d wager that’s only going to get worse as gets older, but I suppose Mulgrew came here with an injury prone reputation and we got plenty of games out of him, so perhaps worth the risk given his quality - but it is a crucial position that already contains two players often out of action...

Just now, J*B said:

Never in doubt but neither was his injury record.

That's the gamble and it can't be any surprise he's out already. My point was it's a similar story with the midfield so TM has a pool of them to cover it.

Defence he keeps going over the same old turf with Williams the only other expericed one. Somebody increasingly injury prone himself.

3 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

That's nonsense.

Last 6 seasons:

2014/15: 38 appearances

2015/16: 39 appearances

2016/17: 17 appearances

2017/18: 39 appearances

2018/19: 39 appearances

2019/20: 25 appearances

League Starts? I’ve obviously been misreading the stats then.

Great stuff if that’s the case and he should be largely available going forward, as we’ll need it with the other two often out.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

League Starts? I’ve obviously been misreading the stats then.

Great stuff if that’s the case and he should be largely available going forward, as we’ll need it with the other two often out.

That's all competitions - but still not quite as bad as people are making out.

I've added Lenihan's numbers for comparison:

Last 6 seasons:

2014/15: 38 appearances (DL 20)

2015/16: 39 appearances (DL 27)

2016/17: 17 appearances (DL 44) 

2017/18: 39 appearances (DL 15)

2018/19: 39 appearances (DL 39)

2019/20: 25 appearances (DL 39)

1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

32 is a good season, his average is 20 odd.

You’d wager that’s only going to get worse as gets older, but I suppose Mulgrew came here with an injury prone reputation and we got plenty of games out of him, so perhaps worth the risk given his quality - but it is a crucial position that already contains two players often out of action...

I worked it out as 27 league games on average per season.

Not sure this would be a debate if either a) the other defenders were always fit or b) we had adequate cover. 

As it is neither is the case. Given the 8000 midfielders we have you do wonder why we play it so risky in terms of numbers and questionable fitness in the defence. 

For example - regardless of ability - Evans isn't massively missed because you have Holtby, Rothwell, Travis, Trybull, Johnson and Downing who can all play there. Bennett too I guess. Whereas defence is much thinner on the ground. 

Groundhog Day at Rovers though with a cobbled together defence. 

9 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

Not sure this would be a debate if either a) the other defenders were always fit or b) we had adequate cover. 

As it is neither is the case. Given the 8000 midfielders we have you do wonder why we play it so risky in terms of numbers and questionable fitness in the defence. 

For example - regardless of ability - Evans isn't massively missed because you have Holtby, Rothwell, Travis, Trybull, Johnson and Downing who can all play there. Bennett too I guess. Whereas defence is much thinner on the ground. 

Groundhog Day at Rovers though with a cobbled together defence. 

The way the squad is manned is purely down to the manager and where he thinks cover is needed. The trouble is TM's thought processes are difficult to understand, with the forthcoming information (disinformation).

Edited by rigger
  • Like 1

Missed club football. Should be looking at nothing but 3 points here but Luton have started well. That last game of the 19/20 season should be a motivator after Luton hiding the ball! A quarter of the season gone and that massive injury list reduced (slightly) and you would think the new signings should have settled in now. I am going to say we will nick a 0 - 1.

Just now, Mercer said:

3-2 to Rovers - heart ruling head!

For once Mercer, regarding score predictions, I'm inclined to agree with you. I'm also going to have a punt on the outcome!

If we are to have true promotion aspirations, 3 points is a must here surely. Follow that up with 3 more on Tuesday night and we'll all be happy bunnies!

COYB!

• Like 1