BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Luton Town v Rovers Sat 21st Nov. 3pm

5 minutes ago, Cherry Blue said:

TM on radio just said "strange referee decisions........we move on......it's finished now".

Not the rant about bad referees I wanted to hear but that's TM. Shame because there's a manager off J10 who would have ruffled a few feathers but that's not TM style. 

It's worth reading in full what Mowbray has said post-match.  The above quote doesn't give an accurate account of his comments.  Here:  https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/18889234.what----mowbray-ref-display-luton-draw/

• Like 1

Just now, roversfan99 said:

A very good summary of Rovers in 2020, giving away a needless soft goal, flattering to deceive, fairly disjointed and ultimately found shifting the attention away from our own failings by blaming officials.

The decisions at the end were undoubtedly questionable, the Brereton one to be honest he was looking for as he often does but the Armstrong one seemed a definite foul, but lets not fuel a narrative that it cost us the game. We should have had a free kick, I cant remember us scoring a free kick in the League since the Mulgrew days so the chances of getting a winner would have been a small, and a red card at that point would have been fairly immaterial. We drew because we didnt play very well, because we conceded a stupid goal, because we didnt play particularly well and we didnt create many clear cut chances. Many players again would struggle to get beyond maybe a 5 or 6 out of 10.

That is now us 7 points away from the play offs, we cant accumulate points at a top 6 rate without having over 2 wins worth of points to make up just to catch up. We are loitering in the bottom half yet there is this illogical assumption that we are not far off going on a sudden and uncharacteristic run of wins.

Performance wise, Kaminski again was very comfortable in goal. Douglas I thought looked a huge upgrade on Bell, Rankin Costello on the other hand was poor in both directions and although his injury is unwelcome, Nyambe is the better right back without doubt. Lenihan was fine I though, Wharton can defend although he is really poor on the ball and there were once or twice that it played us into danger.

The midfield balance was all wrong, Trybull is so ponderous on the ball and didnt impress in a position he doesnt suit. Johnson wasnt particularly influential and his booking was totally needless and costly. Rothwell tried to take the game by the scruff of the neck but mainly it came to nothing, same with Brereton. Elliott was really poor I thought and Armstrong totally anonymous. Gallagher did well to sneak in to get a goal from a clever Douglas knock down.

I just find it frustrating, we dont seem to be going anywhere, I cant shake this feeling of stagnation, I question both the manager and the players and for me blaming the referee is just a smokescreen and an easy place to shift blame to cover our own failings.

Which other games have we blamed the officials for this season?

4 minutes ago, Ossydave said:

He was good against Swansea tbf till he came off. I don't think the balance ever looks right without Holtby though if I'm honest, or, eventually Trav

Yes that's the problem when you have to put in two defensive type mids.

Just now, Paul Mellelieu said:

It's worth reading in full what Mowbray has said post-match.  The above quote doesn't give an accurate account of his comments.  Here:  https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/18889234.what----mowbray-ref-display-luton-draw/

Apart from TM saying ref started and ended poorly the LT doesn't say much about his view of a poor ref. What I heard on the radio was accurate i.e. TM doesn't want to take issue with bad ref decisions and his policy is "....finished....we move one".

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Refereeing performances in the Championship regularly provoke criticism and blame. 

Don’t recall too many times Moggasaurus has specifically blamed officials directly although he definitely does. It’s just another chapter in his big book of excuses often trotted out in rotation to hide his own failings. Other chapters include slow build. What do we expect how can we beat xyz. Injuries. Covid. Moving in the right direction in touching distance of the play offs. ? 

• Like 2

Just now, Cherry Blue said:

Apart from TM saying ref started and ended poorly the LT doesn't say much about his view of a poor ref. What I heard on the radio was accurate i.e. TM doesn't want to take issue with bad ref decisions and his policy is "....finished....we move one".

I'd be more impressed if Mowbray had blown his top and been sent to the stands.

• Like 3

Just now, BankEnd Rover said:

If we were to do any damage to the top 6 then Mowbray should of done it by now. Had more than enough chances. The one season where we have a half decent squad he’s still struggling! We need a new face in. I guarantee we would see the best from most of the players.

There comes a time when the players get tired of the same old voice. I think that time is now for Rovers.

• Like 3

Another disjointed performance, no real shape, no cohesion, in fact we looked like a team of strangers which is rather worrying when they have just had 2 weeks together on the training ground. We looked what we are a mid table side with some talented individuals. 

Kaminski was good. I'm still not sure what people see in JRC to me he is an academy version of Elliott Bennett, jack of all trades master of none and very suspect defensively. Douglas has been disappointing so far although a decent header to set the goal up. Lenihan was haphazard again today and Wharton was by far our best defender, there's no thrills with him but he is a very solid no nonsense defender.

In midfield Trybull was very poor, personally I'd like to see Davenport given a start over him to see what he can do. Johnson looked off the pace as he very often does after a break. Rothwell showed glimpses but not enough and as so often with him an end product was lacking. It's the midfield 3 that create big problems though far too often this season there is a lack of understanding between the 3 and what their roles are. For me it's time to ditch the 4-3-3, although I have never been a fan of it.

The front 3 were all pretty non existent. Good to see Gallagher get a goal he's never going to be a 20 goal a season man but play him central and get him in the box and he can get you 10-12 goals a season. Two goals this season and both have come from come a ball in from the left hand side and Gallagher standing central to the goal finishing, he is a striker and will never be a winger. Not sure we only made two subs, I thought Dolan should have been brought and as I think he would have troubled them late on.

At the end of the day a mediocre point for a team that are heading for a 3rd successive season on mid table mediocrity under a mediocre manager.

1 hour ago, Tom said:

Plenty on Twitter raging that Brereton didn’t get a penalty, the booking is a joke but not sure how it could be a penalty outside the box 

I think he was booked for his reaction where he ran up to the ref and was shouting right in his face

38 minutes ago, Paul Mellelieu said:

He got WBA promoted.

In that case we should get Coyle back as he has been promoted from the is division more recently than Mowbray.

• Like 6

18 minutes ago, Ossydave said:

He was good against Swansea tbf till he came off. I don't think the balance ever looks right without Holtby though if I'm honest, or, eventually Trav

With the three in the middle and so many midfielders to select from it seems we have incredibly few combinations actually work. Partly because the way we are set up requires early forward balls yet Mowbray prizes retention of possession above all else. 

Is Trybull myopic about his colleagues' forward runs or is he scared to play a percentage ball for fear of losing possession?

I suspect a midfield trio of Travis Holtby and Rothwell will be fantastic but with our luck an Tonbola Mowbray we will see it rarely this season.

Incidentally, is it only me that gets the sense that Brereton and Rothwell running when the other is with the ball is totally disorganised?

Just now, Ewood Ace said:

In that case we should get Coyle back as he has been promoted from the is division more recently than Mowbray.

Couldn't help but smile - just the encouragement I need to uncork another red!

21 minutes ago, matt83 said:

Don’t recall too many times Moggasaurus has specifically blamed officials directly although he definitely does. It’s just another chapter in his big book of excuses often trotted out in rotation to hide his own failings. Other chapters include slow build. What do we expect how can we beat xyz. Injuries. Covid. Moving in the right direction in touching distance of the play offs. ? 

moggasaurous???,what a fantastic description

10 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

Another disjointed performance, no real shape, no cohesion, in fact we looked like a team of strangers which is rather worrying when they have just had 2 weeks together on the training ground. We looked what we are a mid table side with some talented individuals. 

Kaminski was good. I'm still not sure what people see in JRC to me he is an academy version of Elliott Bennett, jack of all trades master of none and very suspect defensively. Douglas has been disappointing so far although a decent header to set the goal up. Lenihan was haphazard again today and Wharton was by far our best defender, there's no thrills with him but he is a very solid no nonsense defender.

In midfield Trybull was very poor, personally I'd like to see Davenport given a start over him to see what he can do. Johnson looked off the pace as he very often does after a break. Rothwell showed glimpses but not enough and as so often with him an end product was lacking. It's the midfield 3 that create big problems though far too often this season there is a lack of understanding between the 3 and what their roles are. For me it's time to ditch the 4-3-3, although I have never been a fan of it.

The front 3 were all pretty non existent. Good to see Gallagher get a goal he's never going to be a 20 goal a season man but play him central and get him in the box and he can get you 10-12 goals a season. Two goals this season and both have come from come a ball in from the left hand side and Gallagher standing central to the goal finishing, he is a striker and will never be a winger. Not sure we only made two subs, I thought Dolan should have been brought and as I think he would have troubled them late on.

At the end of the day a mediocre point for a team that are heading for a 3rd successive season on mid table mediocrity under a mediocre manager.

I think he was booked for his reaction where he ran up to the ref and was shouting right in his face

• Like 1

Just now, tonygreenbank said:

I’ve never seen Mark Venus so animated as he was at the end. I initially thought he came on to remonstrate with the ref but I think it was to prevent one of Johnson, Rothwell or Brereton getting a red card.

Yeap you're right. Four yellows to their none ?.

Another positive was having Kaminski back. 

• Like 1